PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting 4e Monster

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-09, 10:25 PM
My friend Cody and I had some time to kill after playing D&D today, so we decided to make a 4e monster. We settled on a succubus-inspired creature with a giant, spike-encrusted arm and a mouth full of jagged fangs.

I did the crunch, Cody did the illustration, and we both contributed to the fluff.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8474/ddmonster2.png

Drugreth
Drugreths are strange mutated fey creatures descended from eladrin and succubi. They have the unsettling ability to make themselves appear to be their victim's loved ones, although they actually resemble twisted, vaguely humanoid horrors with a one of their arms massive and swollen and a mouth full of wicked fangs.

Drugreth Level 13 Elite Controller
Medium fey humanoid XP 1,600
HP 218; Bloodied 109
AC 24; Fortitude 24; Reflex 23; Will 24
Speed 6
Resist 10 necrotic, 10 cold; Vulnerability 10 radiant, 10 fire
Saving Throws +2 (+5 against illusions); Action Points 1
Initiative +10
Perception +14
Truesight 5

Traits
O Terror • Aura 3
Enemies within the aura take a -2 penalty to will defence.

Standard Actions
m Brutal Pounding • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (1 target); +17 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 9 damage, and the target grants combat advantage (save ends).
M Jagged Jaws • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature granting combat advantage to the drugreth); +17 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d12 + 10 damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).

Move Actions
Dastardly Escape • At-Will
Effect: The drugreth shifts 4 squares.

Minor Actions
C Cunning Illusion • At-Will
Attack: Close burst 10 (1 creature within the burst); +15 vs. Will
Hit: The target is dominated (save ends).

Triggered Actions
Wounded Fury • At-Will
Trigger: The drugreth becomes bloodied.
Effect (Immediate Reaction): For the rest of the encounter, the drugreth gains a +10 bonus to damage with all attacks but cannot use Cunning Illusion.

Skills Bluff +15, Stealth +12
Str 19 (+10) Dex 13 (+7) Wis 16 (+9)
Con 16 (+9) Int 16 (+9) Cha 19 (+10)
Alignment evil - Languages Common, Elven

Combat
Drugreths lure the most powerful looking foe towards them with Cunning Illusion and then pound them into a pulp. They always stay behind their underlings and never open themselves up to ranged attackers.

Encounters
Drugreths always bully or bribe weaker creatures into serving them and protecting them in combat. They often work with owlbears, dryads, eladrin, cyclopes, spriggans, ogres, and various Feywild animals.

Lore
Arcana 20: Drugreths are mutated monsters that can make themselves look like their victim's loved ones.
Arcana 25: They hate fire and divine radiance, both of which will shrivel and destroy them.

Axeman
2011-05-10, 04:21 AM
Nice:smallcool:. But you may want to add Immortal to its creature type and that Wounded Fury power is a bit of an over kill and why does the Jagged Jaw power slow its target?. Friendly sugestion, change the Wounded Fury's damage bounus to +5.

Delusion
2011-05-10, 05:16 AM
Cunning illusion really should be limited to 1/round. Otherwise it seems good.

Mindfreak
2011-05-10, 05:25 AM
This would be a really good monster choice for a group controlling subordinate that is employed by the Big Bad Evil Guy. I think cunning Illusion should stay as an at-will power, since it seemed you were trying to go for sort of a boss. Like how a dragon is a boss.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-10, 09:08 AM
I added a lore section.

artstsym
2011-05-10, 01:41 PM
C Cunning Illusion • At-Will
Attack: Close burst 10 (1 creature within the burst); +19 vs. Will
Hit: The target is dominated (save ends).

Based off of what I recall about the succubus, there are several things about this:
1) +19 vs Will is 2 points too high, especially considering the +4 you're giving her when she's mauling the target.
2) 1/Round. The next suggestion is somewhat optional, but this one is not. Save ends minor action dominates do not get to happen over and over.
3) I might even go so far as to take the succubus approach, wherein this power only recharges when the dominated target saves, but that one might be too tame for your tastes.

Finally, I might swap the slowed and CA effects, so that the target needs to be slowed to grant CA, but that's just me.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-10, 06:02 PM
Based off of what I recall about the succubus, there are several things about this:
1) +19 vs Will is 2 points too high, especially considering the +4 you're giving her when she's mauling the target.
2) 1/Round. The next suggestion is somewhat optional, but this one is not. Save ends minor action dominates do not get to happen over and over.
3) I might even go so far as to take the succubus approach, wherein this power only recharges when the dominated target saves, but that one might be too tame for your tastes.

Finally, I might swap the slowed and CA effects, so that the target needs to be slowed to grant CA, but that's just me.

I admit that the monster is tougher than suggested, but everyone - even WotC - seems to underestimate how competent paragon-tier characters are.

Axeman
2011-05-11, 02:16 AM
Yes we do sometimes underestimate Paragon-tier characters but it never hurts to take to heart what some people say and I understand creative licence and that your very proud of it. So just dwell on it.:smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-11, 09:13 AM
Yes we do sometimes underestimate Paragon-tier characters but it never hurts to take to heart what some people say and I understand creative licence and that your very proud of it. So just dwell on it.:smallsmile:

What? Please clarify.

artstsym
2011-05-11, 01:58 PM
I admit that the monster is tougher than suggested, but everyone - even WotC - seems to underestimate how competent paragon-tier characters are. I'm not saying that you can't do it, just that it's not appropriate for an elite monster of that level. At-Will attacks with save ends effects are more powerful than they seem, and Daze, Dominate and Stun in particular are things that you want to limit, even at epic tier. Unless this is a dungeon boss (in which case "all bets are off" is my MO), this is not something that your players will have a ready response for.

I recall a particular one shot I ran with a phane several levels lower than the party, where I actually ended up apologizing afterwards for throwing such an encounter at them.

Anywho, that's why I recommended what I did. I like it otherwise, though.
EDIT: Also I noticed that you lowered the attack on it. :smallsmile:

Shadow_Elf
2011-05-11, 08:00 PM
Any particular design choice reason why this beastie has low defenses and high attack bonuses? The basic WotC math puts this thing at AC 27, Fortitude 25, Reflex 25, Will 25 base. From there, you can tinker up or down one or two points to reflect its stats. Based on its stats, I recommend AC 26, Fort 26, Reflex 24, Will 26. Then, its attack bonuses should be down to +15 vs. NAD, +17 vs. AC, again according to the base math for monsters-of-level (and no, these calcs do not change for elites and solos). If you've a design reason for the discrepancy and are aware of it, no worries, should make for an interesting monster.

Now, I would also like to advise that you keep the domination power to 1/round usage. I am also leery of the (save ends) duration. But I suppose if that's what you want, it'll work. Though it might be awfully hard on your PCs.

Axeman
2011-05-13, 02:56 AM
Hey Twilight, I have been sketching you monster recently and was wondering if you wanted to see any of it? Just some sketching and consept art, nothing flashy.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-05-13, 07:11 PM
Hey Twilight, I have been sketching you monster recently and was wondering if you wanted to see any of it? Just some sketching and consept art, nothing flashy.

That's awesome. Sure.

Also, I'm currently working on tons more 4e monsters and I'm looking for people to illustrate them.