PDA

View Full Version : Magicka - Not a Vampire, Bleigh.

AgentPaper
2011-05-09, 11:18 PM
I don't know how this could have slipped under the radar so much here, but I've recently picked this game up and I have to say it's a blast to play, even on single player. Still, the game is obviously designed to be played by a group, which I haven't had the chance to do much of yet unfortunately. Anyone else here have the game and need people to play with? If we could get a group of 3-4 playgrounders that would be awesome. I'm Agent_Paper on steam, so you can contact me there if you want to play.

Anyways, anyone have some favorite spells? I used to think A-S-F were the only buttons ever worth using (haste and death ray), but I've been playing around with water and ice, and am fairly impressed with the results, especially the rain + freeze ray (cold + arcane) combo.

Fire-Arcane-Rock can dish out a stupid amount of damage if spammed, especially to large groups, but it's dangerous to use, especially in single-player, since if you hit yourself with the blast you can kill yourself pretty quick. I prefer to use a simple frost (cold+water) shotgun spam for large groups, since it dishes out a good deal of damage and is much safer.

Murska
2011-05-10, 06:49 AM
Steam, steam, electricity, electricity, arcane fixes everything.

Then you can do a similar thing but substitute arcane with ice and have a spammable crowd control weapon.

Finally, demons are vulnerable to conflagration and you might want to have a shield to prevent any accidents. If in a big pinch, five waters smash everything far away from you, so you get time to regroup.

Drascin
2011-05-10, 07:01 AM
Yes, Magicka is all shades of awesome. I'm replaying it lately, giving use to all those Magickas I barely used the first time round - that is, pretty much all of them except Haste, Teleport, Rain, and Lightning Bolt. I was the most Conanesque ever - tended to sword everything to death, and took the final boss using magic only for shields, healing, and buffs.

Turns out? Bosses become rather amusing when you have fifteen elementals with you :smallbiggrin:

I'm Drascin on Steam, in case you want to add me - I wouldn't mind trying Multiplayer.

Deth Muncher
2011-05-10, 07:53 AM
There actually was already a thread for this, but I guess it died. :/

Gaius Marius
2011-05-10, 07:56 AM
I like to use Fire + Lightning. If you made sure beforehand the ennemies are wet, it's quite effective and self-safe.

Although, I also like to enchant my blade with Arcane + fire + Electricity and slash. Slash. Slash. Slash.

houlio
2011-05-10, 10:53 AM
Multiplayer can be fun. I think my friends and I had to restart chapter 1 something like three times because we killed each other so often, first on accident trying to cross the river, then on purpose as we argued over who should the captain's axe.
I think my steam name is ImportedExile (or some permutation of that changing capital letters around), but I don't remember for sure.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-10, 11:22 AM
I'm always up for a game, when not managing Ironcraft or working.

I understand SAFE mines or ARSE mines work well, but haven't much of a chance.

Has anyone bought the DLC? What did they think of it?

AgentPaper
2011-05-10, 12:19 PM
Oh yeah, in addition, I should probably link to the Yogscast playthrough, which is simply the best thing ever and is actually what got me to finally go buy the game.

And I like how so many different people all use so many different spells. When I first started the game I thought fire-lightning-arcane death rays were OP and nothing else would ever be worth using, but as I've kept playing I've been broadening my spellcasting horizons and have found most if not all of the spells are actually very useful, when used right. For a lot of them this just means spamming them like mad, but others require more finesse, like most ice spells.

Oh, also one tip I found out mostly by accident: You can boost shields by healing them. Healing rays don't work since they bounce off, but if you do a healing nova or shoot a healing rock at it, it'll boost it a bunch. Much more effective than trying to spam spacebar.

I'm happy to see there's a good amount of people interested in the game. I'm available to play in just a couple minutes here, but perhaps we should set up a specific time to play, like maybe a weekly session? If we get more than 4 people then we can just split up into 2 groups.

houlio
2011-05-10, 01:53 PM
I'd be up for it, although I'm not going to be available until June due to school and travel.

AgentPaper
2011-05-10, 01:59 PM
Well at any rate I'm on steam now, as either Agent_Paper or AgentPaper. Not sure which one it is technically. If anyone wants to play just open up chat with me and we'll get started.

Also, bosses in general seem pretty easy-mode to me. All you have to do is get them wet with rain or water fields or even just spraying them, then hit them with an ice beam until they fall over. Since they're frozen solid the whole time, there's basically no way you can lose once you get them frozen.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-10, 02:24 PM
Well at any rate I'm on steam now, as either Agent_Paper or AgentPaper. Not sure which one it is technically. If anyone wants to play just open up chat with me and we'll get started.

Also, bosses in general seem pretty easy-mode to me. All you have to do is get them wet with rain or water fields or even just spraying them, then hit them with an ice beam until they fall over. Since they're frozen solid the whole time, there's basically no way you can lose once you get them frozen.

Except for death. But he's still easy. I hope that the add a difficulty mod to the game. easier for Single player, and harder for multiplayer. with even just 1 more player, it turns from nightmare to cake walk

Tavar
2011-05-10, 03:50 PM
Depends on who your allies are, and how good they are. Some got in my way more than the enemies.

Also, I'm always up for some multiplayer goodness. I'm under tavarvarg.

AgentPaper
2011-05-10, 04:54 PM
Me and tavar will be starting a game in just a minute, if anyone wants to join in just send us a message.

Game name: GitP
Password: playground

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-10, 04:55 PM
Me and tavar will be starting a game in just a minute, if anyone wants to join in just send us a message.

:( I work until 8est. boo.
Don't let it go too long, I hope to see you for the ironcraft awards.

Deth Muncher
2011-05-10, 05:19 PM
By the way, FQSQFAA is the strongest beam.

Demented
2011-05-10, 07:35 PM
SRAAA (Arcane, Cold, 3xLightning) is actually stronger if it hits a wet or frozen target. Plus it freezes things, which is good too.

Though, the speed with which you can spam the basic arcane+fire balls (firecaneballs?) will probably exceed any beam. It's too bad scaling up to more powerful steamballs slows down your casting rate considerably.

AgentPaper
2011-05-10, 07:38 PM
Yeah, beams can be very powerful against single targets, and with a couple going you can take out a large group pretty decently, but a simple SDF-spam will probably out-damage it if there's more than just the one guy. (and possibly even then, haven't actually checked)

Dogmantra
2011-05-10, 07:45 PM
I liked crossing Fire beams with Water beams to take out big groups. Obviously that needed two buddies, one to shoot the other kind of beam and one to inevitably get caught in the explosion.

AgentPaper
2011-05-10, 08:12 PM
I liked crossing Fire beams with Water beams to take out big groups. Obviously that needed two buddies, one to shoot the other kind of beam and one to inevitably get caught in the explosion.

You forgot the fourth party member that has to revive all of you afterward.

Tavar
2011-05-10, 08:26 PM
Man, I do challenges too often. I forgot how necessary Nullify(arcane+ shield) is for the campaign.

Edit: also, what's this Ironcraft I here spoken of?

Inhuman Bot
2011-05-10, 08:38 PM
I lost interest with the incredibly tasteless Magicka Vietnam, personally.

If either of the people who I have committed to finishing this with read this, I still will, though.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-10, 08:42 PM
Man, I do challenges too often. I forgot how necessary Nullify(arcane+ shield) is for the campaign.

Edit: also, what's this Ironcraft I here spoken of?

A building competition in minecraft, in the spirit of Iron Chef.
Check out the thread. we have started the 2nd competition.

Hmm, nullify. nope don't recognize it. Of course, by some fluke, I've only played the last half of the campaign.

iyaerP
2011-05-13, 11:33 PM
I just discovered magicka over the weekend, and I love love LOVE it.

QFQFASA {right click+hold}

I think my favorite moment was discovering that you get an M60 for saving all houses in the village from the beastmen attack. My friend and I didn't even know about it when we were playing, we got it on our first play through before we had even looked anything up. At the time, I figured that there was s different reward depending on how many houses were saved.

And how is Magicka: Vietnam in poor taste? It is a satire of Battlefield: Bad Company Vietnam, Rambo, Platoon, and any number of other movies/games about Vietnam. Games are primarily made about wars, and there's nothing different here.

Although I will say that with the enemies having machine guns of thier own, the challange becomes crazy awesome in terms of difficulty.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-13, 11:58 PM
I just discovered magicka over the weekend, and I love love LOVE it.

Mind sharing your steam name so we can join your reindeer games?

iyaerP
2011-05-14, 12:10 AM
Mind sharing your steam name so we can join your reindeer games?

Sadly, I don't have interwebs right now. I downloaded and played at a friend's house. Comcast is of the opinion that I should pay the massive unpaid bills that the previous tennant of my appartment racked up, and I am disagreeing with them on this. Once that is sorted out, I will have internets.

And for the record, I am posting this from work. Where I have far too much free internet time, but no access to any kind of gaming.

Cynan Machae
2011-05-14, 09:47 AM
I lost interest with the incredibly tasteless Magicka Vietnam, personally.

If either of the people who I have committed to finishing this with read this, I still will, though.

Whenever you want to play and not 2 am :P

Crispy Dave
2011-05-14, 11:40 AM
I'm actually doing a LP of this thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191575) check it out and add me to your steam friends and If you're eon when I play you can join us.