PDA

View Full Version : Question about Martial Study and multiclass Initiators

veven
2011-05-10, 02:50 AM
So, playing an E6 campaign. My crusader initiator level is 5, and my warblade initiator level is 3. I plan on taking martial study: White Raven Tactics. This is a 3rd level maneuver so with the crusader initiator level I can qualify to take it. The question is this; can I take the feat as a maneuver known for my warblade level instead? Then I could refresh it without having to wait for the Crusader's refresh mechanic. By RAW I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear but I thought I would run it by the playground before asking my DM.

Thanks for the help.

Darrin
2011-05-10, 05:21 AM
This is a 3rd level maneuver so with the crusader initiator level I can qualify to take it. The question is this; can I take the feat as a maneuver known for my warblade level instead?

I'd say "No". The text of Martial Study says you have to meet the maneuver's prerequisite, and I consider the IL to be part of the prerequisites. That's not really RAW, but I think RAI is pretty clear here.

eclipsic
2011-05-10, 02:43 PM
On page 39 of the ToB, under the heading "Multiclass sharacters", it says that you count your martial adept class plus half of your other class levels as your initiator level. Warblade 3 + 1/2(Crusader 5) = 5, so your warblade initiator level is 5, which is sufficient to take a 3rd level maneuver. Additionally, your crusader initiator level is 6 (5 + 1/2(3)), if that should come up.

CyMage
2011-05-10, 02:47 PM
On page 39 of the ToB, under the heading "Multiclass sharacters", it says that you count your martial adept class plus half of your other class levels as your initiator level. Warblade 3 + 1/2(Crusader 5) = 5, so your warblade initiator level is 5, which is sufficient to take a 3rd level maneuver. Additionally, your crusader initiator level is 6 (5 + 1/2(3)), if that should come up.

It's E6. So I believe the character is Crusader5/Warblade1 in some combination of that which makes the IL calculations correct for the OP.

Lateral
2011-05-10, 02:49 PM
But he's playing E6, and he's not a Crusader 5/ Warblade 3, he has 3 Warblade IL and 5 Crusader IL. He's probably a Warblade 1/ Crusader 5.

Edit: Ninja'ed.

veven
2011-05-10, 03:21 PM
It's E6. So I believe the character is Crusader5/Warblade1 in some combination of that which makes the IL calculations correct for the OP.

Correct. The character in question is actually a Bard1/Crusader4/Warblade1.

Keld Denar
2011-05-10, 04:00 PM
You can only add maneuvers to the list it qualifies for. If you were (just an example, I know it's E6), a Warblade6/Swordsage2/MasterofNine2, you would have a Warblade IL of 6 + 2/2 + 2 = 9 (5th level). You would have a Swordsage IL of 2 + 6/2 + 2 = 7 (4th level). If you picked up a 5th level maneuver with your Mo9 level, you would HAVE to add it to your Warblade list and recovery mechanic. If you picked up a 1st-4th level maneuver, you could opt to add it to either recovery mechanic you choose.

Similarly, if you pick up a new maneuver via Martial Study, you can only add it to whichever class has a high enough IL to learn it. If your Crusader IL is 5 and your Warblade IL is 3, you could only add WRT to your Crusader recovery mechanism.

Draz74
2011-05-10, 04:57 PM
Adding maneuver via Magic Items is a bit more arguable.