PDA

View Full Version : (3.X) Good creatures to be Dragonfire Inspiration Platforms

Coidzor
2011-05-10, 03:35 AM
So, I was wondering what critters, other than big cats, fleshrakers, hydras, & tentacle beasts such as squid/octopi, if one can get ahold of them through any of the various means available to grab them, which ones make the best vehicles for dragonfire inspiration damage dice? Or, rather, at least are competitive with this sort of upper level of types of beasties that I've identified nebulously.

The specific question applies equally to living and controllable undead versions of these creatures, which I imagine will mostly be animals and magical beasts.

Godskook
2011-05-10, 04:15 AM
There's some dinosaurs that get tons of attacks, but could you be more specific on what ECL, CR, or other restrictions you're operating under?

Also, a vampire totemist or psychic warrior would also be quite impressive, but might be prohibitive, depending on your needs.

Coidzor
2011-05-10, 04:22 AM
There's some dinosaurs that get tons of attacks, but could you be more specific on what ECL, CR, or other restrictions you're operating under?

Anything other than the raptor-like line of Fleshraker, Deinonychus, and Megaraptor that sprang to mind?

There's no ECL or CR in particular beyond being non-Epic creatures. I'm interested in the range of pre-Epic play rather than considering things for any particular character right now.

Also, a vampire totemist or psychic warrior would also be quite impressive, but might be prohibitive, depending on your needs.

I'm not really interested in things with class levels right now, just base creatures and their animated dead forms, though those are basically to note if there's anything especially nifty that'd be lost in the conversion, especially if awakening 'em doesn't affect this loss. Like if there's anything in D&D other than Hydras that have a similar situation occur vis their attacks when turned into zombies, that seems like it'd be good information to assimilate and make note of for future reference.