PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Starcraft Ghost Inspired Character

Malos
2011-05-10, 04:14 AM
I am building a new character for a game I am joining soon. I have been playing SC2 quite a bit recently, and my personal favorite unit has to be the Ghost. (The concept behind Kerrigan in particular)

In essence, I am trying to come up with a psionically gifted, assassin type. I would like the character to use dual repeating crossbows for closer ranged combat, daggers for extremely close combat, and some sort of long range weapon for sniping.

I have practically all the books, but reading them all, and retaining the knowledge is quite a chore. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. It doesn't have to be a complete build or anything, just class/prestige class suggestions or perhaps feats that might be useful. If possible, please list the book they are from so I can reference them.

So far I have come up with the following:

Class(es)
Lurk (Complete Psionic)

Feat(s) of Interest

Crossbow Sniper (PHB2)
Darkstalker (Lords of Madness)
Precise Shot (PHB1)
Rapid Shot (PHB1)
Shot on the Run (PHB1)
Telling Blow (PHB2)
Two-Weapon Fighting (PHB1)

Fearan
2011-05-10, 04:55 AM
You need a wizard. AND a "Locate city bomb" trick for nuclear launch

Killer Angel
2011-05-10, 06:08 AM
You need a wizard. AND a "Locate city bomb" trick for nuclear launch

A rogue-type with UMD works better as a concept. Not only for the stealth part, but, after all, the ghost isn't able to fabricate its own nuke: it depends from an external supply... :smalltongue:

marcielle
2011-05-10, 06:30 AM
NOTE: This build is made more for flavour than minmaxing.
Ardents of complete psionic get a similar BAB, more power points, 1 more power at 1st level and can tecnically get ANY PSIONIC POWER. The web enhancement says you can add/substitute a power to any mantle so long as it is thematically appropriate. ANY POWER EVER. Since listen and spot are WIS skills and ardent is WIS based, it might be worth a look. Also note that any effect that drains power points results in stunning 1 turn for each PP drained if used on non psionic characters. Might help for stealth, since they can't shoult for help if they are stunned.

1st level:Take light and darkness mantle and deception mantle for free dark vision and displacement as an immediate action. Also good is Freedom mantle. Gives you a constant speed boost till you use your focus and a 10-20ft swift action hop to get out of sticky situations(full attack and poof)
If you want, you can also argue chameleon can be used under deception.

2nd level: From this point its really up to you since you have access to EVERY GODAM POWER but Communication is good for being a trickster in AND out of combat and making distractions.

However, Ardents don't get move silently as a class skill. Taking lurk for 2 levels then multiclassing into ardent fixes this and gives you more skill points and the ability to funnel PP into sneak attacks so seriously consider it. You'll need to be human or find a race favoring ardent though.
Note, another psionic can awaken ones latent psionic abilities for FREE. So don't waste your human feat (if you go human) on wild talent. Just have a backstory where you were trained by psionics.

For attributes focus STR adn CON most of all and just have decent WIS, its mostly only for save DCs and if you are gishing you won't need that at all. Trade it out for Dex if you really like the whole sniper thing. With telehop and eventually invis, you won,t be taking that much fire so long as you are cautious. 2 skill points per level in ardent mean you just aren't cut out for skill-monkeying.

For lurk powers, compression and chameleon work great for being TOTALLY UNOTICEABLE. Though, you might want the range increaser if you like sniping.

Featwise, the standard psionic stuff are linked power and practiced manifester. The later is awesome early on allow you to spend more PP and never really becomes obsolete. Link power might be better if you want to go for the instant death strike approach.

Cant help you sniper or assasin wise, :smalltongue:

Undercroft
2011-05-10, 07:59 AM
there's also a psionic variant the standard assassin too (swaps out arcane magic abilities for psionic abilities) in one of the eberron books (Secrects of Sarlona I think) which might also bear a little looking at, as ghosts are also used in the "assassinate this upstart" role.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-10, 11:23 AM
The psychic rogue seems like it might be right up your alley.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b

Are there any other parameters (gestalt, modified feat progression etc)?

I think this might be a tough build since TWF and Ranged Attack optimization are both very feat intensive. Also, you run into trouble with sneak attack only working if you're within 30 ft which kind of nerfbats the long range attacks.

OrganicGolem
2011-05-10, 12:52 PM
Just looked at Psionic Assassin in Secrects of Sarlona, this could be the second thing ever from Ebberon I give a damn about. (the other being artificer of coarse)