PDA

View Full Version : The Heros Academy

j4bberw0ck
2011-05-10, 11:51 AM
So recently I have had some ideas for a campaign swimming through my mind. Inspired by a mix of flash games, Fable, and Harry Potter I wanted to run a campaign in which the Players are attending an academy devoted to training heroes for the kingdom. I wanted to make the players feel like the heroes they are but also like they are still students. So here are a few of the things I am trying to get a grasp on mechanics wise.

Classes (Think harry potter, one for each school of magic, combat, riding, etc)
Tests/Examinations
A learning system

That is a short list I will add more when I think of them.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-10, 05:50 PM
Hmm, interested in coming up with this, it'll be fun.

DracoDei
2011-05-10, 06:26 PM
Brain-storming follows:

I suggest looking around for the most nit-picky training rules you can find, and then combine that with a system that does not have class features locked to classes or specific levels. Mutants and Masterminds, Shadowrun, Legend of the Five Rings, and Ironclaw are the ones I know of. Encourage them to roleplay every little aspect of learning. If a spell has more than one thing it can do, have them get each option at a slightly separated time.

Give bonuses to learning for forming study-groups, especially with NPC students who have a knack for explaining things in novel ways.

Give XPs for helping NPCs learn.

Allow students with a rich enough background to have private tutors to help them out with there areas of focus (or alternatively to keep up in areas that would otherwise cause them to flunk out).

Don't allow any of this to invalidate the utility of having a character who is mediocre in their "grades", but is friends with almost everyone... or alternatively, is a successful school-yard bully who even the people who could turn them into a pile of ash in .04 seconds are somehow terrified of.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-10, 06:47 PM
Classes: one for each school of magic, one for sorcerers, one for each weapon style, one for mounted combat (just riding in the lower grades), one for acrobats, and one for commandos.

Anyone is welcome to add to this list.

BarroomBard
2011-05-10, 06:55 PM
I think it would be best to build your system around advancement by accomplishment. By this, I mean that you should award new spells, new abilities, etc, based on what the players do. When they reach the point where they would "level up", have them take the test- if they pass they gain a new ability.

Learning can be an extended contest type thing: you have to master a series of learning rolls over a period of time, more rolls for more advanced concepts.

Thugorp
2011-05-10, 07:48 PM
Sigile Prep!

EdroGrimshell
2011-05-10, 09:22 PM
try Complete Control (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/Store/product/pid=47.html) from Dreamscarred Press (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/index.php)

j4bberw0ck
2011-05-10, 11:14 PM
As I am planing this to be a d20 system game, Complete control is a great option. I was also considering using the apprentice level rules (from Tricky Owlbear or Genius Games) for the first "semester" or so. I am really thankful for everyone's help, any and all suggestions are great! I will post more when I think of it, Currently i am trying not to make this a world building thread, though I will probably start one later.

j4bberw0ck
2011-05-12, 12:04 PM
Sorry for not posting much but finals week is coming up and I have been busy. Unfortunately I can't think of much more there is to do on this subject, so thanks to all of you who helped,