PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, but fun, costume suggestions please?

Kiyona
2011-05-10, 12:40 PM
Hello all,

Since I got so many awesome ideas from you last time I needed a costume for a party I'm gonna try my luck again. :smallbiggrin:

I am invited to a costume party with the theme "Don't come as you are". Usually I have no trouble coming up with ideas, but this time I'm stuck... The theme is a bit to broad for me I think.

Some details:
I am a girl, student so practically broke, with a few weeks to spare.
I have long, blond hair that I would prefer kept blonde, and am curvy, but with a bundle of extra pounds (so no skin tight latex suits or anything. ^^)

Pretty please with sugar on top? :smallredface: Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-10, 12:44 PM
Hmm... One of my favourite costume is of Satan, but "Subtle Satan", just what he'd look like if he took a human form, like a dark, evil businessman.

Wouldn't fit with you. Your blond hair and curvy look might make a funny Valkyrie..

I need to know more. With the wide-open theme, you have room to wiggle around. Tell me what kind of stuff you like to watch/read.

Kiyona
2011-05-10, 12:56 PM
Gaius

I have actually done a subtle satan when I was younger, it was awesome! :smallcool: I wore my fathers suit, kept my hair in a tight businessbun and made really realistic looking horns from wood and paint that I glued on. Some dark circles under my eyes and a dour face and voila! But, I've done it before. :smallsmile:

Oh, that's a big question. I don't know. I am a standard nerrd when it comes to hobbies I guess. Roleplaying, some fantasy books, animé, stuff like that. Videogames. I am also a bit of a literature snobb, and read books by lots of old dudes that are awesome. Hm... I'll try and think of more stuff. :smallbiggrin:

Gaius Marius
2011-05-10, 12:58 PM
If you don't mind being girly, there are always Peach and Zelda costumes..

Otherwise... hmmm... let me think about it a minute.. :smallbiggrin:

Kiyona
2011-05-10, 12:59 PM
The girlyness is no problem, but the cost of such costumes is I think. Don't know how to make a cheap zelda. :smallredface:

Thank you so much for your input and time! :smallsmile:

Supagoof
2011-05-10, 01:17 PM
{scrubbed}

grimbold
2011-05-10, 03:31 PM
{scrubbed the original, scrub the quote}

all 3 of these ideas might work

you could also just go and act schizoprenic :smallbiggrin: thats probably not as you normally are

smellie_hippie
2011-05-10, 03:35 PM
I am invited to a costume party with the theme "Don't come as you are". Usually I have no trouble coming up with ideas, but this time I'm stuck... The theme is a bit to broad for me I think.

I encourage you to youtube "Nirvana Unplugged". simple blue-jeans and a light green button up sweater. long hair and some cheap cardboard knock of of a guitar. When they ask about your costume, you can strum a few fake chords on the "guitar" and sing a bar of "Come as you are" by Nirvana.

Kiyona
2011-05-11, 01:22 AM
Uhm, supagoof... I don't really know what your suggestion was since it was scrubbed. Should I assume that it was something nasty? ^^

Smellie

Haha, that could be fun I suppose.
Not the most music savy bunch, but all are atleast old enough to have heard of Cobain. I'll think about it. :smallsmile:

Kepp em coming folks! I am loving this so far. :smallcool:

rakkoon
2011-05-11, 02:32 AM
As a cheerleader perhaps? Just get some pon pons
As a man, maffia leader or some such.
As a green alien, get some face paint?

Serpentine
2011-05-11, 03:43 AM
Coloured sheet or hooded robe, leather belt and big white mask.
Bam, Shy Guy.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CemhPnedxDU/RuPO27YlRSI/AAAAAAAAARw/7DffBCnmgHE/s400/Shyguys.jpg

Gaius Marius
2011-05-11, 06:49 AM
Uhm, supagoof... I don't really know what your suggestion was since it was scrubbed. Should I assume that it was something nasty? ^^

It was. It was also very innapropriate, IMHO. I'm glad they scrubbed it.

You could find some green skin paint and go for the Orion Slave Girl...? :smallamused:

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-11, 06:57 AM
Get a shirt for $3 or less at a thrift store or good will.
Mix some corn syrup with some red food coloring.
Tear up the shirt and splatter it with fake blood.
Paint your face grey, perhaps with some scars and scratches.
Now you are a zombie!

Asta Kask
2011-05-11, 07:27 AM
You could find some green skin paint and go for the Orion Slave Girl...? :smallamused:

I'm partial to the Princess Slave Girl Leia myself.

DeadManSleeping
2011-05-11, 07:32 AM
1 bedsheet (white)
1 pair scissors
1 brown paper bag
1 fist-sized rock

Charlie Brown costume :smallamused:

Zen Monkey
2011-05-11, 07:57 AM
Biker chick would be easy:
old faded/ripped jeans
sunglasses
boots
bandana
leather jacket or appropriate t-shirt (old metal concert T, harley, etc)
fake tattoos (pen, sharpie, etc)
cigarettes, or the candy variety, rolled up in the sleeve

Supagoof
2011-05-11, 08:22 AM

I'm afraid I had listed a few costumes, some of which were not forum appropriate but slipped my mind as to being that way. Here are the ones that could still work/are acceptable.

Blonde hair - you could always arrange it in a way to look like a horribly bad weave, and put on a suit - then you would be Donald Trump.

Or, if you're really creative, take a bunch of cardboard boxes/sho boxes and paper cups. Cut the bottom off the cups and attach them to the boxes to make them look like legos. Attach boxes to your body, and you can attire like any of the Lego games (Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman, Lego Rock Band) or dress normal then you have Lego Kiyona - which is you, but not as you are - so "Don't come as you are" fits perfectly.

Kislath
2011-05-11, 08:38 AM
Look up "Poly Styrene" on Youtube.

Traab
2011-05-11, 01:09 PM
Get a football uniform and helmet and go as a linebacker.

Knaight
2011-05-12, 02:34 AM
Some information on your sewing skills would be nice.

Kiyona
2011-05-12, 07:25 AM
Thank you so much for all your suggestions! :smallsmile:

Zombie is definitely doable, I think I even have some good FX make-up left from halloween. (My fiance went as zombie, me as Alice. ^^)

I love the cardboard-lego idea. :smallbiggrin: But I think it will be a bit hard to get around in it, taking the bus to the party, actually participating in the games at the party and such.

As for my sewing skills... Well, I can definitely do basic stuff without any problems, but I don't have access to a machine, so any sewing needs to be able to do by hand.

Keep em coming! This is a great help for me. :smallredface:

thubby
2011-05-12, 07:55 AM
go as one of your friends.

you'd be as they are :D

Asta Kask
2011-05-12, 09:52 AM
Buy a used nurse's coat from a local hospital washery. Should cost at most 3 dollars. Go as a sexy nurse.

Knaight
2011-05-12, 04:00 PM
As for my sewing skills... Well, I can definitely do basic stuff without any problems, but I don't have access to a machine, so any sewing needs to be able to do by hand.

In that case, you can probably dress up as Agatha, from Girl Genius. It fits your physical description from the first post fairly well too.