PDA

View Full Version : I need fake blood quickly

Trekkin
2011-05-10, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this in, but it's artsy: I'm helping a friend make a short film for a college course, and we need a quantity of fake blood in about three hours or so. Are there any relatively realistic-looking, simple formulae I could make out of the relatively common foods available at what's essentially a 7-11 and a cafeteria?

Domochevsky
2011-05-10, 01:16 PM
Well, there's always ketchup, but i suspect you need something darker and more liquid, so maybe you can mix it with beetroot juice?

Nix Nihila
2011-05-10, 01:16 PM
Hmm.. If I recall correctly, you can make a decent fake blood out of light corn syrup, red food colouring, and cocoa powder, but I'm not sure on the proportions, plus I'm not sure if you have access to those ingredients.

Trekkin
2011-05-10, 01:19 PM
Hmm.. If I recall correctly, you can make a decent fake blood out of light corn syrup, red food colouring, and cocoa powder, but I'm not sure on the proportions, plus I'm not sure if you have access to those ingredients.

Unfortunately, only a few grams of cocoa powder; we're working out of the dining hall at the moment. I think I can find corn syrup though.

Incidentally, this is for a spatter effect, if that changes anything.

Nix Nihila
2011-05-10, 01:27 PM
You don't need much, it just makes it a bit darker. Although I suppose I don't know how much blood you need. You also may want to adjust to thickness with water.

Good luck!

Eerie
2011-05-10, 02:04 PM
Fake blood is for wimps, go for real blood! :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-10, 04:57 PM
We made fake blood a few years ago with red food coloring and corn syrup. This is what it looked like dried on clothing.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/13741_1163122637972_1225020560_30766231_5058842_n. jpg

Fan
2011-05-10, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately, only a few grams of cocoa powder; we're working out of the dining hall at the moment. I think I can find corn syrup though.

Incidentally, this is for a spatter effect, if that changes anything.

Well if you wish to go REALLY in depth, you could take said mixture, and apply gloss to it (from a model painting kit..), and it would end up with this "Congealed" look, to start you'd just get a tooth brush and flick it to create a realistic splatter effect. Then get an extra fine brush, apply to dots.. done.

>_>

Dr.Epic
2011-05-10, 09:36 PM
Um, Kool Aid anyone?

Beat the Kool Aid Man to a bloody pulp and get all the blood you want.

Ashtar
2011-05-11, 05:36 AM
There's a set of possible recipes on http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Fake-Blood

Haven't tried any, but they should work.

Renegade Paladin
2011-05-11, 06:16 AM
I was in a production of Sweeney Todd once. We used red food coloring in dish soap, but the effect we were going for was arterial blood (for obvious reasons if you're familiar with the play) which probably isn't what you're looking for.

super dark33
2011-05-11, 08:42 AM
Take some katchup, put katchup in bowl, put water in bowl,mix, nad you got yourself fake blood.

dont put too much water or it will look too liquidy, no water at all make it look bad.

Haruki-kun
2011-05-12, 12:19 PM
I did this precisely for a college film a few months ago. What you want is corn syrup with red food coloring and just a tad of blue, because blood is not pure red. But like... a drop of blue or two. No more than that.

Another advantage is that it's easy to clean from the floor and probably clothes. You may want to use clothes you don't care about, though.

EDIT: Some people dilute it a bit with water.

Ninjaman
2011-05-13, 12:05 AM
I have a solution, but it canīt really be classified as fake :smallbiggrin: