PDA

View Full Version : White Plume Mountain - PF group

Ditto
2011-05-10, 04:49 PM
{table=head]PF Character|Bio|Player
Nortul (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=16873)|Halfling cavalier|Zefir
Haiden (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=16848)|Minotaur barbarian|Cutlex
Anya Astrazalian (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=16774)|Human sorcerer|Joseph Silver
Kerion (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=17036)|Dwarf bard|Alchemist Merlin
[/table]

When Riikan Dack, a wealthy collector of rare art objects, hired you to recover a three weapons stolen from his vault, he offered your group 10,000 gp—a reward sizable enough to dissuade you from asking too many questions. He showed you the boastful note left by the thief—supposedly an ancient wizard named Keraptis.

Search ye far or search ye near,
You’ll find no trace of the three
Unless you follow instructions clear,
For the weapons abide with me.

North past forest, farm, and furrow
You must go to reach the feathered mound.
Then down away from the sun you’ll burrow—
Forget life, forget light, forget sound.

To rescue Wave, you must do battle
With the Beast in the Boiling Bubble.
Crost cavern vast, where chain-links rattle
Lies Whelm, past waterspouts double.

Blackrazor yet remains to be won
Underneath inverted ziggurat.
That garnered, think not that you’re done,
For now you’ll find you are caught.

I care not, former owners brave,
What heroes you seek to hire.
Though mighty, each shall be my slave
Or vanish into the fire.

-K

Dack told you that his sources had pinpointed your destination (the “feathered mound” named in the note) as a volcanic peak called White Plume Mountain. Days later, you found yourselves scaling the south slope of the mountain. You soon located an entry tunnel leading into the rock and emerged in a cave that actually seemed to breathe, exhaling a large cloud of steam and then slowly inhaling again, like a man breathing on a cold day.

Ditto
2011-05-10, 04:53 PM
Standing alone in a vast area of dismal moors and tangled thickets is White Plume Mountain, an almost perfectly conical volcanic hill formed millennia ago from the slow leakage of lava. About 1,000 yards in diameter at the base, the peak rises about 800 feet above the surrounding land. The white plume that gives the mountain its name and fame is a continuous geyser that spouts from the very summit. The spray shoots 300 feet into the air, then trails off to the east under the prevailing winds like a great white feather. The water from the geyser collects in numerous depressions downslope that eventually merge, creating a sizeable stream.

The nearest village, Yellowreach, lies about 5 miles from the mountain along the Yellow Flow River (so named for the sulfurous deposits along its banks). From Yellowreach, Fellsind (Dack's home city) is two days' journey south and west. The villagers know of the mountain and its surroundings, as well as details of the only entrance. Steam vents pierce the mountainside in various spots, but none of them is large enough to allow entry. The only possible entrance to the volcanic cone is a cave on the south slope. This cavern is known as the Wizard’s Mouth, where the party finds itself now, poised to enter what stories say was once Keraptis' domain...

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-10, 09:22 PM
Well, friends, looks like we're about to cross the point of no return. Any second thoughts? He hefts his shield off his back and straps it on, looking aroud cautiously.

Perception check! [roll0]

Ditto
2011-05-10, 09:24 PM
Kerion discovers he is on a mountainside.

cutlex
2011-05-10, 11:21 PM
*snort* Can never be too careful with wizards afoot.

perception [roll0]

Perhaps we should head inside

Ditto
2011-05-11, 08:57 AM
The rushing steam buffets you as you stand at the cave mouth - warm, but not enough to scald you, like a sauna. The whoosh of cold air as the steam buildup escapes out another vent in the cave makes standing there uncomfortable from the back-and-forth temperature change.

The cave entry doesn't go very deep, but Haiden can see a journeyman's rune crudely carved into the back wall about 40 feet in. It indicates 'down'.

Aron Times
2011-05-11, 05:37 PM
Anya Astrazalian guides her mount, Wanderlust, into the scary-looking cave. It looks like she barely has anything for such a grand adventure, but her small backpack is actually bigger on the inside, allowing it to carry various adventuring supplies, among them, a mundane backpack. On her belt are five wands and a spell component pouch, the tools of her trade.

Moon pops out of the bag within the bag. "A little woman and her cat and her horse, accompanied only by a ragtag bunch of misfits. Whatever will you do when we run into trouble?" Anya responds to her cat's query by simply petting him before shoving him back into the bag within the bag.

"Hold on, gentlemen. A few wards to keep away the heat." She points one of her wands at each party member as well as Wanderlust the horse. As her familiar, any beneficial spell Anya casts on herself also affects the little cat, so she skips him. "Light." Anya materializes a small globe of light, bright as a torch, at the point of her magic wand followed by, "Mage Armor," just in case some stray projectiles come her or Moon's way. "Gentlemen, lead the way."

Spells
1st-Level: 7/8
2nd-Level: 7/7
3rd-Level: 5/5

Wand of Endure Elements: 45/50

Light: 60 minutes
Mage Armor: 6 hours

Zefir
2011-05-12, 01:22 AM
The littel Halfling and his Loyal Mount follow the groupe as well. Even when he sits on the wolf the Halfling is still the smalest one, but he doesn't mind it.

The wolf growls against the cave.

"Cool down Fang. We talked about this several times."

The wolf growl again still looking at the cave.

"Yeah I knew that but you promissed me to got with me."

Again the wolf growls this time much shorter than befor.

"We should go now befor Fang changes his mind."

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-12, 11:44 AM
Right then, onward! I'll scout ahead. Kerion moves forward, just ahead of the group, scouting stealthily.

Stealth: [roll0] Perception: [roll1] (Pleasebesneakypleasebesneaky) I figure I'll stay a bit a head, say 30 feet? For scouting sake. Lets my darkvision get out to 60 ft as well. Hopefully I find any traps before they find me.

Ditto
2011-05-12, 12:09 PM
The cave is, in fact, only 40 feet deep. As Kerion plods into the mucky cavern, slick from steam, he sees a simple trapdoor set into the floor of the cavern lying open beneath the rune. It is set with a ring on one edge of the flap to lift it, and the mud has been more or less cleared from around its edge.
A rusty metal staircase spirals down into warm, humid darkness. The stairs seem to vibrate slightly, as if in tune with some inaudible subterranean rumbling.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-12, 12:34 PM
Kerion decides now might be a good time to draw his sword. He continues creeping forward, downard into the darkness, hoping very much that his companions are, in fact, behind him.

Perception: [roll0] for good measure.

cutlex
2011-05-12, 02:04 PM
Haiden warily enters the cave alongside his companions. As he notices the trap door, he begins to wonder if he will fit through it. He had been scoffed at many times in his life. A minotaur adventurer? Certainly an oddity. Looking at the tiny door on the floor, he begins to understand why.

Nevertheless, Haiden moves to protect the back of Kerion.

Ditto
2011-05-12, 02:20 PM
Kerion reaches the bottom of the stairs without incident, and finds himself stepping into passageway filled shin-deep with murky water. The air is swampy and walls slick with condensation as above.

Haiden is able squeeze through the gap and sidle awkwardly down, the rusted metal stair groaning in complaint all along but surviving.

Both can make out the cave continuing 30 feet east in the dark, then turning to the north.

FYI, the foot-deep water counts as difficult terrain and takes two squares of movement to slog through. It's also kind of splashy. You're not very sneaky right now.

Also, Wanderlust the horse will have a very difficult time manuevering down that little spiral. I'm recommending you find a secure place for him outside, in the interest of his immortal horsey soul. It's bad news for him down there. Might not be so good for you guys down there, either, actually. :smallwink:

Aron Times
2011-05-12, 02:49 PM
"Hm... I think we should leave our loyal beasts of burden outside." Anya felt Wanderlust's anxiety, even as the steed's discipline kept it from panicking. She then leads her horse back outside, tied to a nearby tree, before making her way back to the watery passage within White Plume Mountain. Fortunately, her dress is short enough that only her boots are wet, which is exactly what boots were designed for.

"I'm going to scan for magic as we go, just in case."

I'm going to have Anya Take 10 on Detect Magic checks (Take 10: Spellcraft 10 + 12 = 22) and Moon use the Aid Another action on her for a total of 24 on the Spellcraft check.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-13, 10:56 AM
Well blast it, what's the point of being sneaky if ye can't sneak? Kerion grumbles as he trudges forward in the water.

These were my good adventurin' pants.

Zefir
2011-05-13, 11:02 AM
Nortul follows as well, but he doesn't tend to let his friend stay here.

"So we need to get down now Fang."

If it's not possible to ride down the stairs or if it seems to dangerouse Nortul will go down himself followed by Fang.

Do we have an OOC thread? Could be important.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-13, 11:14 AM
I believe we're just using spoilers for OOC. Less tidy, but also less likely to get confused about chronology and replies.

Ditto
2011-05-13, 12:56 PM
Riding down the stairs would be... problematic... but you are able to negotiate them separately just fine.

Sticking with spoilers, yeah.

cutlex
2011-05-13, 03:11 PM
"This damn water is going to make things difficult," grumbles Haiden as he moves within 10 feet of the bend in the hallway and readies his weapon.

"Stay close and be on the lookout."

No charging makes me sad :(

Ditto
2011-05-13, 03:38 PM
After turning north, Kerion (and Haiden behind him) sees the corridor leads to a 4-way intersection. A bedraggled creature rests on a 2-foot-high pile of bones that fills the intersection. The creature’s body looks like that of a mangy lion, and great, tattered wings lie folded at its sides. A female humanoid face peers out from beneath the tangled mat of hair that covers its head. She is casually drawing herself to her feet as you peer around the corner.

"Come forward, travellers!" she lazily beckons, making no pretension that she is unaware of the group's arrival.

For reference, the unlit corridor is 10 ft wide, 15-20 feet high depending on how the stalactites hang, and 30 ft past the bend to the creature's perch.

Aron Times
2011-05-14, 09:46 PM
"You are hurt, friend. If you would let us, I have a wand of healing."

Ditto
2011-05-14, 11:19 PM
The creature snorts derisively, almost a chuckle. "I am not in need of your aid, human. I have merely been tasked with watching over this crossroads for long enough that I no longer care to groom! I would advise your party to turn back if you have any hope of avoiding a similar fate and settling in for a long stay. Perhaps permanent."

cutlex
2011-05-14, 11:58 PM
"I have no fear of this place. We seek a wizard. Have you seen one come through?"

Haiden lowers his weapon and shifts his weight uncomfortably in the water.

Ditto
2011-05-15, 06:57 PM
"You may be brave or you may be foolish; I care not whether you turn back or come forward. I am sure that which you seek lies in the halls beyond. Do not advance until you are ready to meet my price, though, lest you raise my ire. It is but a word: answer my riddle, and you may pass."

Aron Times
2011-05-15, 10:30 PM
"I love riddles. Go ahead, friend."

Ditto
2011-05-15, 11:49 PM
"Going forward, eh? And answering me instead of trying force. Intelligent, if not wise. Very well: Which path will you take? You stand in the south corridor now, I trust you can divine your options from there."

Zefir
2011-05-16, 03:29 AM
Sorry for my beeingnot so active I just ended a project.

"What a riddle? Why can't it be a card game or something alike. Seems like we got to deal with an stereotypical mage again."

Nortul sits on his mount again since he don't like to stay in the water. Fang more or less ignores the water but he seems to smile due to the words of his master.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-16, 09:42 AM
Hmmm...Well gents? Which way? I vote east.

cutlex
2011-05-16, 02:49 PM
"If it weren't for this blasted water, I may have been able to smell our way further. I suppose east is as good as any direction."

Aron Times
2011-05-16, 03:53 PM
"Well, if you gentlemen vote east, then who I am to disagree?'

Zefir
2011-05-17, 01:39 AM
"Eh wait a moment isn't this a riddle? So I assume there must be something.
Hmm what raises depending on the point of the compass..."

His wolf barks once.

"Oh yeah your right fang. The Sun. and the sun is rising from east to the west over the south. So I think we should go west."

He beginns to petting his mount.

Ditto
2011-05-17, 08:26 AM
The creature looks curiously at Nortul as she says, "That was a question, halfling. I clearly present my riddles. So, to head eastward, answer me this:

My creator wants me not,
And much in dread will I be bought.
My cold embrace is fiercely fought,
Most all who need me know it not.
What am I?"

Aron Times
2011-05-17, 09:46 AM
"A coffin?"

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-17, 09:48 AM
Kerion scratches at his beard for a while and then says A coffin! with a self congratulatory smile on his face.

Blast, beat me to it!

Ditto
2011-05-17, 08:26 PM
"Correct. You may pass, travellers. But take care that you do not pass through my crossroads without again paying my price." She flattens her wings against her back and sidles back on her bonepile, granting the group enough space to move into the east corridor.

The water-logged corridor stretches on ahead, as far as any can see with their darkvision. The walls and ceiling ahead are covered with a patchwork of algae and lichen.

Gratz, first step to further adventures. Now that we're moving further, I'd like to get a typical marching order (of particular importance in 10ft corridors with a 10 ft-wide character). Is the order you entered the dungeon okay - Kerion scouting ahead, then Haiden, Anya, Nortul?

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-17, 09:05 PM
I would like to continue scouting. If you want me to roll frequent perception/sneak checks I can do that. Or you can do them in seeeeeeeecret and make me horrifically nervous :-P

cutlex
2011-05-17, 10:58 PM
"Hmph. Words are so much less meaningful than actions. Though, we must hurry in case our quarry is mobile as well."

I could go last, if the others would like to be able to see things ahead in the tunnel, as i don't think you'll be able to cast/move through me. Guarding the back is probably as important.

Aron Times
2011-05-20, 12:23 PM
Anya will bring up the rear, as she is a squishy mage.

Zefir
2011-05-20, 05:36 PM
"So if you had told that befor." Nortul mumbels and follows the way.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-21, 07:55 AM
Right...Let's go then. Kerion again takes up a position about 10 feet ahead of the group, and sneak sneak sneaks down the east passageway.

Stealth: [roll0] Perception: [roll1]

Zefir
2011-05-24, 01:43 AM
"Does anyone know what this mage guy can do? I mean a bit of preparation is never wrong."

Nortul mean still riding his dog if possible.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-24, 08:04 AM
Throw fire, juggle time, confound the senses...you know, mage stuff. Kerion thinks for a moment. "And bleed. Everything bleeds." he chuckles at himself, quite confident.

Ditto
2011-05-24, 04:48 PM
As Kerion sloshes forward ahead of the group, a section of the soupy ceiling flora comes loose and drops onto him in a heap! The dwarf finds himself covered in a pile of green slime, which he can feel eating away at his flesh and sizzling against his armor.

[roll0] Constitution damage, AM. You should take care of that quickly.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-25, 08:28 AM
Kerion screams and attempts to shake, wash, scrape, and tear the green sludge off as quickly as possible. If splashing water and scraping the stuff off against the walls doesn't work, he'll use his shield.

AHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHH! GET IT OFF!

Aron Times
2011-05-25, 05:04 PM
"Are you alright in there? If you're hurt, I have a couple of healing wands..."

Ditto
2011-05-26, 02:11 PM
Kerion's shield is actually quite effective in clearing the slime from him, its hardy magically-treated darkwood quite resistant to the slime's corrosive effects and altogether not that much worse for the wear.

While the dwarf is out of immediate danger, you have the next troubling prospect to surpass: a mound of green slime filling the hallway in front of you in a 10 by 10 blob that's sitting about a foot above the waterline. Still hungry for dwarfflesh, the mossy viscous glob is settling/oozing/sliding in your direction in the most leisurely possible manner. It's not *chasing* you, exactly, but it seems to have the idea that 'food went this way' and is trying to figure out why you left.

Kn: Nature would be appropriate here, if anyone has it. One round of Con damage and a stinky smoking shield for Kerion.

Zefir
2011-05-26, 02:39 PM
"Guys someone know what this thing is?"

Fang seems quiet unpleasent with the blob and tends to turn back.

BArds have all knowledges in pathfinder as far as I know so the bard should be able to know it.

cutlex
2011-05-26, 02:48 PM
Whatever it is, my weapon is ready to return its greeting

Aron Times
2011-05-26, 04:45 PM
"Get in the bag, Moon," says Anya, stuffing her cat in the bag in the bag while getting ready to use her Wand of Enlarge Person (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/enlarge-person) on the already very large Haiden the Minotaur. readying a Haste spell on the whole party. Including the tiny one's mount.

Ditto
2011-05-26, 07:27 PM
For reference again, this corridor is 10 ft wide. Haiden is 10 x 10. This would make him 20 x 20, so he'd be squeezing in the space. (I'll go ahead and tell you he won't make the strength check to break the inside of the mountain.)

Alchemistmerlin
2011-05-26, 09:03 PM
Kerion backs away from the disgusting substance carefully, moving back to join the rest of the group.

I don't have a blasted clue what that stuff is.

Sandman bards don't get bardic knowledge. And I have no points in KnNature.

That's a Withdraw action, by the way, full round and all that...I don't know if this thing gets opportunity attacks so better safe than sorry.

Ditto
2011-05-31, 04:20 PM
Does anyone have an action they'd like to take to deal with the green slime, or are you giving up on this corridor and trying another route?

Zefir
2011-06-01, 01:05 AM
"So guys can we beat this thing? I'm not sure I have heared rumors about such things but I can't tell you anything that helps us here."

Nortul seems quiet unpleaseant with the thing. No heart no body Where should I hit it?

Alchemistmerlin
2011-06-01, 09:30 AM
Burn it, freeze it, drown it, I don't care, just don't touch it! Perhaps a tactical retreat?

Aron Times
2011-06-01, 01:57 PM
Anya, still in a combat casting stance, sees her companions' hesitation and asks, "Gentlemen, are we going to fight that slimy ooze thing or are we retreating?"

Zefir
2011-06-01, 03:14 PM
"I got neither of the abilitys mentioned. if you have one please go on ."

Fang still seems unpeasent with the slime but keeps his stan since Nortul is on his back.