PDA

View Full Version : White Plume Mountain - 3.5 Group 2

Ditto
2011-05-10, 04:51 PM
{table=head]3.5 Character|Bio|Player
Danyl Redkerson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=296024)|Human Favored Soul|Kobold-Bard
Anya Astrazalian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=295448)|Human Sorcerer|Joseph Silver
valqueris (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=295593)|Human fighter|Roll4It
Jean Valora (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=296033)|Human Rogue|Acid ninja
[/table]

When Riikan Dack, a wealthy collector of rare art objects, hired you to recover a three weapons stolen from his vault, he offered your group 10,000 gp—a reward sizable enough to dissuade you from asking too many questions. He showed you the boastful note left by the thief—supposedly an ancient wizard named Keraptis.

Search ye far or search ye near,
You’ll find no trace of the three
Unless you follow instructions clear,
For the weapons abide with me.

North past forest, farm, and furrow
You must go to reach the feathered mound.
Then down away from the sun you’ll burrow—
Forget life, forget light, forget sound.

To rescue Wave, you must do battle
With the Beast in the Boiling Bubble.
Crost cavern vast, where chain-links rattle
Lies Whelm, past waterspouts double.

Blackrazor yet remains to be won
Underneath inverted ziggurat.
That garnered, think not that you’re done,
For now you’ll find you are caught.

I care not, former owners brave,
What heroes you seek to hire.
Though mighty, each shall be my slave
Or vanish into the fire.

-K

Dack told you that his sources had pinpointed your destination (the “feathered mound” named in the note) as a volcanic peak called White Plume Mountain. Days later, you found yourselves scaling the south slope of the mountain. You soon located an entry tunnel leading into the rock and emerged in a cave that actually seemed to breathe, exhaling a large cloud of steam and then slowly inhaling again, like a man breathing on a cold day.

Ditto
2011-05-10, 04:55 PM
Standing alone in a vast area of dismal moors and tangled thickets is White Plume Mountain, an almost perfectly conical volcanic hill formed millennia ago from the slow leakage of lava. About 1,000 yards in diameter at the base, the peak rises about 800 feet above the surrounding land. The white plume that gives the mountain its name and fame is a continuous geyser that spouts from the very summit. The spray shoots 300 feet into the air, then trails off to the east under the prevailing winds like a great white feather. The water from the geyser collects in numerous depressions downslope that eventually merge, creating a sizeable stream.

The nearest village, Yellowreach, lies about 5 miles from the mountain along the Yellow Flow River (so named for the sulfurous deposits along its banks). From Yellowreach, Fellsind (Dack's home city) is two days' journey south and west. The villagers know of the mountain and its surroundings, as well as details of the only entrance. Steam vents pierce the mountainside in various spots, but none of them is large enough to allow entry. The only possible entrance to the volcanic cone is a cave on the south slope. This cavern is known as the Wizard’s Mouth, where the party finds itself now, poised to enter what stories say was once Keraptis' domain...

acid_ninja
2011-05-11, 01:03 AM
Well, we're here. This Dak had better pay up for this gig, there isn't a decent bar around for miles.

Looks at the sky

Do you reckon there's enough light to have a look-see?

Ditto
2011-05-11, 09:18 AM
From what you can see the edge of the cave, it appears to only go back maybe 40 feet until there is a rock wall. It's midday, so there's plenty of light about, but you'll need a source of light if you want to explore much further into the cave between the darkness and rushing steam clouds.

Roll4It
2011-05-11, 10:25 AM
When did they ever let you into a decent bar? Anyway, I'm sure we won't be able to find one or two of his weapons. That ought to cover us if he won't pay up. :smallwink:

Val sets down his greataxe and takes off his backpack. From it he withdraws his Everburning Torch and sets it down on the ground to don his backpack again. He then picks up the torch and axe, laying the latter over his shoulder, and heads off to the cave entrace.

Shall we?

Ditto
2011-05-11, 11:36 AM
The rushing steam buffets you as you stand at the cave mouth - warm, but not enough to scald you, like a sauna. The whoosh of cold air as the steam buildup escapes out another vent in the cave makes standing there uncomfortable from the back-and-forth temperature change.

The cave entry doesn't go very deep, but Valqueris can see a journeyman's rune crudely carved into the back wall about 40 feet in. It indicates 'down'.

Roll4It
2011-05-11, 11:52 AM
Val pauses at the cave entrance and looks around. He peers up at the roof looking for loose rocks, stalactites and other dangerous things, as well as the walls for strange patterns or holes. Finally, he looks at the floor for signs of passage and tries to determine if the rune is indicating a decent via some kind of chute or rather to proceed further into the cave.

Aron Times
2011-05-11, 05:26 PM
Anya Astrazalian guides her mount, Wanderlust, into the scary-looking cave. It looks like she barely has anything for such a grand adventure, but her small backpack is actually bigger on the inside, allowing it to carry, among other things, 50 feet of rope, a portable alchemist's lab, and normal backpack containing adventuring supplies and a small cat named Moon. On her belt are the implements of her trade: a spell component pouch, a magic wand, and a magic rod.

Moon pops out of the bag within the bag. "A little woman and her cat and her horse, accompanied only by three heavily-armed men. Whatever will you do when we run into trouble?" Anya responds to her cat's query by simply petting him before shoving him back into the bag within the bag.

"Light." Anya materializes a small globe of light, bright as a torch, at the point of her magic wand followed by, "Mage Armor," just in case some stray projectiles come her way. Moon is also affected by the protective ward, being Anya's familiar. "Gentlemen, lead the way."

Spells
0th-Level: 5/6
1st-Level: 7/8
2nd-Level: 7/7
3rd-Level: 5/5

Light: 70 minutes
Mage Armor: 7 hours

acid_ninja
2011-05-11, 05:34 PM
I like the way you think Val.

Jean mops at his face as beads of sweat begin to form from the steam before carefully examining the area (including the rune) for traps.

Anya, were you planning on bringing that horse in? It's not that she's not pretty, its just that, well...horse, cave. Not exactly a match made in heaven.

Ditto
2011-05-12, 12:22 PM
As Jean moves into the mucky cavern, he sees it does in fact become impassible (unless you're made of steam) after about 40 ft. There is a simple trapdoor lying open beneath the rune, with a large iron ring set into one edge of the flap to lift it. A rusty metal staircase spirals down into warm, humid darkness. The stairs seems to vibrate slightly, as if in tune with some inaudible subterranean rumbling.

Roll4It
2011-05-12, 01:08 PM
So much for all the rope we brought, eh? Alright, I'll take the lead and watch the floor for traps. If each of you could watch a wall and the ceiling I'll thank you now, in advance.

Val carefully tests his weight on the stairs, watching where he puts his feet for anything out of the ordinary, and slowly makes his way down them with torch held high before him.

Ditto
2011-05-12, 02:05 PM
The stairs creak in complaint as you descend, but are sturdy enough, and after 10 or 15 feet they deposit you in a pool of shallow water at the base. Your magical torchlight dimly shows the water-logged corridor heading east for about 30 feet, then turning north.

Roll4It
2011-05-12, 03:12 PM
Turning his head Val calls up to the rest of the party,

I hope you guys brought some extra pairs of boots with you, you're going to need them. Come on down one at a time, the stairs are a little creaky.

As he waits for the rest of the party to descend Val examines the floor for things obscured by the water as well as the walls and ceiling for holes or markings.

Aron Times
2011-05-12, 03:45 PM
"Wanderlust is growing anxious, Anya," said the cat in the bag in the bag. Anya felt Wanderlust's anxiety, even as the steed's discipline kept it from panicking. "Come on boy," said the little woman to the big horse, "let's go get some fresh air!"

She leads her horse back outside, tied to a nearby tree, before making her way back to the watery passage within White Plume Mountain. Fortunately, her dress is short enough that only her boots are wet, which is exactly what boots were designed for.

acid_ninja
2011-05-12, 07:02 PM
Gods. Clambering down creaky stairs into a damp hole. Sometimes I think I should have listened to what my mother said when I was young.

Jean descends the staircase, drawing Sweetness and Savvy, his matched rapiers as he goes.

OOC: I'm going out of town for a few days so posting may be a bit erratic. Sorry.:smallfrown:

Roll4It
2011-05-13, 11:35 AM
As the rest of the party joins him Val begins to slowly make his way to the turn in the corridor, continuing his scrutiny of the floor, walls and ceiling. He keeps to the north wall with the torch held high in his left hand leading the way.

Kobold-Bard
2011-05-14, 05:15 AM
Danyl

"Will you let it go, I'm not going to kill it right there in the middle of town.

Well I'm not exactly going to do you any good locked up now am I?

Well not everyone has my sense of duty, now drop it. There could be anything down here and arguing with you isn't exactly stealthy. I'll pray before rest, and not a minute before."

The group should be getting used to Danyl's arguments with himself by now. Technically they are with his God Zarus; the mortal seems to have a much more "direct" connection with his God than most clerics, and it would seem the two tend to disagree on the best way for Danyl to carry out his lord's will.

Sighing with relief Danyl draws his bow and notches an arrow into it as he finally descends the stairs.

-------
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Ditto
2011-05-14, 09:39 PM
After turning north, the corridor leads to a 4-way intersection. A bedraggled creature rests on a 2-foot-high pile of bones that fills the intersection, with large, cat-like eyes glowing in the weak light at the edge of Val's torch. The creature’s body looks like that of a mangy lion, and great, tattered wings lie folded at its sides. A female humanoid face peers out from beneath the tangled mat of hair that covers its head. She is casually drawing herself to her feet as you peer around the corner.

"Come forward, traveller!" she lazily beckons, making no pretension that she is unaware of the group's arrival.

For reference, the unlit corridor is 10 ft wide, and 30 ft past the bend to the creature's perch.

Aron Times
2011-05-14, 09:45 PM
"You are hurt, friend. If you would let us, I have a wand of healing."

Ditto
2011-05-14, 11:22 PM
The creature snorts derisively, almost a chuckle. "I am not in need of your aid, human. I have merely been tasked with watching over this crossroads for long enough that I no longer care to groom! I would advise your party to turn back if you have any hope of avoiding a similar fate and settling in for a long stay. Perhaps permanent."

Roll4It
2011-05-14, 11:29 PM
Watching over it for what purpose? Do you get many travelers in these halls?

Val steps just around the corner and places himself between the creature and the party. He holds his torch high to get a better view of the creature.

Full +5 to AC from Combat Expertise and Dodge bonus for attacks from the creature.

Ditto
2011-05-15, 07:03 PM
"I stand watch so that none enter into these halls without my knowledge. As I said, I see few of those who enter here come both ways. I care not whether you turn back or come forward - only that you choose. Travellers may move forward if they meet my price, but I have no patience for those who would loiter.

My price is but a word: answer my riddle, and you may pass."

Roll4It
2011-05-15, 07:15 PM
Then speak your riddle creature, we would hear it.

acid_ninja
2011-05-16, 02:58 AM
Yeah, by all means, speak. What could possibly go wrong?

Attempting to remain nonchalant, Jean sidles to the left of Val without actually moving forward of him, ready to move to a flanking position if things go wrong.

Ditto
2011-05-16, 11:17 AM
"Very well: Which path will you take? You stand in the south corridor now, I trust you can divine your options from there."

acid_ninja
2011-05-16, 10:45 PM
Jean looks at the others.

Which path, divine our options...is this the riddle?

Ditto
2011-05-17, 08:22 AM
"It is a question. Perhaps I gave you too much credit... the riddle follows your choice."

Roll4It
2011-05-17, 10:22 AM
In a word, north. We entered on the southern face of this mountain, so we'll proceed north until that's no longer an option. After that, east or west. It makes no difference to us creature.

acid_ninja
2011-05-17, 05:24 PM
Sorry, just used to being terribly clever, O ye of scraggly mane and disturbingly good rack.

I suppose North is as good a direction as any but it's nice to be asked, Val.

Aron Times
2011-05-17, 05:51 PM
"If my handsome companions choose north, then north I shall choose."

Ditto
2011-05-17, 08:02 PM
Unruffled by Val's bravado (or Jean's... compliments?), she says, "So impatient to rush headlong into the dark... so be it. To go north, tell me:

Round she is, yet flat as a board
Alter of the Lupine lords
Jewel on black velvet, pearl in the sea,
Unchanged but e'erchanging, eternally.
What am I?

"Her body is that of a mangy lion..." but hey, whatever floats your boat acidninja. :smalltongue:

Aron Times
2011-05-17, 10:25 PM
"The Moon."

Roll4It
2011-05-18, 09:22 AM
Val glances back at Anya and nods then returns his gaze to the creature.

I was going to say a sphinx, just to be pedantic. Are we done here creature? Or do you intend to challenge us to a game of Mill next?

Ditto
2011-05-19, 11:25 AM
"The moon is correct. You may pass." Without further comment (but a decidedly nasty glower at Val), the creature flattens her wings against her body and pads a step to the west, splishing gently into the water there. She remains tensed and watches each of you passing over her bone pile carefully; she awaits hearing you repeat the correct answer to her riddle before truly granting you clearance to move onward.

Thirty feet beyond the creature's perch, a large, circular alcove about 10 feet in diameter extends out from the right (east) side of the hallway. Its floor is covered in the same brackish, calf-deep water as the corridor. Another twenty feet on, you see the corridor opening into a larger chamber.

Roll4It
2011-05-19, 02:55 PM
Val pauses to inspect the circular alcove, "What do you make of this?" He asks his companions.

He pauses and begins looking at its floor, walls and ceilings for markings, holes, abnormal lines, loose blocks and hollow sounding walls (the latter two with some cautious tapping with his Everburning Torch).

I'm trying to map this out at how. How wide are these corridors Ditto, 5 or 10ft? The stairs lead us down and a corridor went 30ft east before turning north. How far north was the creature's bone pile from the turn? And was it right at the 4-way interception? 30ft north of the interception there's a alcove to the east, and 20ft north again there's a room from what we can tell?

Ditto
2011-05-19, 03:56 PM
Here is a map so far (https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdFJHNjUxd0Y0cC1uc2NkeE8xX0pSWWc&output=html). && are the spiral stairs. The C's represent the creature.

Describe the nature of your investigation, if you will. :smalltongue:

We should set up a typical marching order as well. Is the order you entered the dungeon okay - Val, Anya, Jean, Danyl?

acid_ninja
2011-05-19, 08:32 PM
Jean searches the alcove for traps and secret doors, prodding the floor with his rapier to make sure that its solid before doing so. He also checks for shafts leading up and down.

Just a suggestion, but maybe I should take the lead.

Ditto
2011-05-19, 09:54 PM
No strange marks are evident from where Val is standing. Jean is not actually able to detect any solid floor within rapier's reach off of the main path in the alcove.

Whenever y'all are in the mood to 'look for markings' or 'search for secret doors', feel free to roll a Spot or Search. S'the only way to be sure. Without jumping on the pressure plate trap you didn't bother searching for, that is...

Roll4It
2011-05-20, 08:32 AM
"The last time you took the lead I ended up with more arrows in my backside then I care to remember. Why don't we walk shoulder to shoulder this time? The corridors are wide enough. I'll let you walk a step ahead of me though, and let you enjoy the traps," Val says with a wink. He then looks back at the creature to she what she is doing.

Is that thing still watching us from back there?

Got it, I'm used to the DM doing it.

Search: [roll0]

Also, do you mean Jean can't reach the floor in the alcove with the rapier or the rapier is passing through what looks like a floor?

Ditto
2011-05-20, 08:53 AM
The creature is totally eyeing y'all up. She's not feeling very friendly toward you at the moment.

The water is full of dirt and filth and other particulates, so you can't really see the floor under your feet as it is. For all you knew, the alcove had the same floor under calf-deep water - but when Jean poked at it, there was no floor within reach.

I feel like that was more explicit in the other threads... sorry, I miss details when copying some of the data three times. :smallredface: Anyway, Val didn't pitch forward without warning, so you've got that going for you!

Roll4It
2011-05-20, 09:09 AM
Val pushes the Everburning Torch under the top of the water in the alcove to see if they can get a better idea of the alcove's purpose and why Jean's rapier couldn't touch the floor. He calls out to the south, "Creature, what is the purpose of this nook here?"

Ditto
2011-05-20, 11:14 AM
The sphinx just raises and eyebrow and chuffs at you, amused.

Swishing some of the silt away with the torch underater, you see the floor just heads straight down at the edge of the path for at least a few feet. You can't see anything else remarkable or figure out its purpose except perhaps as a warning to watch your step.

Roll4It
2011-05-20, 11:24 AM
Val looks at Jean and says "I don't think she likes you all that much after the rack comment Jean. Anyway, what do you guys think? Hop in and inspect the floor and back wall or head to the room further on?"

Aron Times
2011-05-20, 12:22 PM
"I have some rope, if it helps. One of us can go ahead and the rest will stay back holding the rope in case he gets in trouble."

Roll4It
2011-05-20, 02:24 PM
"The lady makes a good point, care to take the lead Jean?" Val asks with a raised eyebrow and a wily grin.

It's not every day that I get to tie you up and throw you in some water. To be honest though, I'm fine leaving this little vestibule until after we've explored more to the north.

acid_ninja
2011-05-22, 05:15 PM
As Jean searches the alcove, he looks up at Val.

The only thing dirty alcoves are good for is passing out and getting rolled in. If I don't find anything dangerous, I say we leave it. It does seem to mean that the path we're on is sitting above some kind of sewere system. If we found managed to un-block it, we might not have to slog through this mucky water.

Search check for Jean:
[roll0]

Roll4It
2011-05-23, 10:56 AM
Works for me, do you see anything?

Ditto
2011-05-26, 08:58 AM
Sorry for the hold up, I was just about to ask - you rolled a search check, but cannot currently locate the floor to this alcove within arm's reach. Are you jumping into the pool/alcove to swim around and search? Did Jean have rope tethered to him? None of this was stated and Val indicated he'd be fine with moving on...

acid_ninja
2011-05-26, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I was searching the rest of the alcove - the walls and ceiling - not jumping into the water. I'm also fine with just moving on once that's done. I'll try to be more explicit with what I'm searching in the future.

Ditto
2011-05-26, 07:31 PM
The ceiling here is still 20 ft high. Reaching the walls beyond the spot adjacent to the corridor without moving into the alcove, which has no floor you have detected whatsoever, is really not practical. I don't see spiderclimb or anything fun like that in your repertoire... so I'll tell you that the walls within arm's reach of the corridor to the left and the right reveal nothing interesting upon a very thorough search.

acid_ninja
2011-05-26, 11:10 PM
Well, as the philosopher says, 'Nothing to see here, move along'
Jean proceeds north along the corridor

Roll4It
2011-05-27, 09:18 AM
Throwing a wink at the creature Val turns north as well. What philosopher would that be?

acid_ninja
2011-05-29, 07:07 PM
Oh, you know the one. He hangs out with the actress and the high priest and tells everyone the things 'everyone' knows.

Ditto
2011-05-29, 09:37 PM
Moving forward to the north, you come to a broad, empty chamber 60 feet square filled with the same murky water filling the whole space. The walls are decidedly worked stone, the first solid construction you've noted since entering the cave. On the far side, you can just make out at the edge of your shadowy illumination a short set of stairs rising from the water and leading to a door.

Map (https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdFJHNjUxd0Y0cC1uc2NkeE8xX0pSWWc&output=html)

acid_ninja
2011-05-29, 10:22 PM
Suddenly all business, Jean strains his ears, listening for the telltale sound of something moving in the water.

Listen check
[roll0]

Roll4It
2011-05-30, 03:49 AM
With the stairs coming out of the water over there we should probably watch our step, the water could be concealing a drop to a lower floor.

Val begins inching forward with his torch under the water to see if there's still a floor, testing for a drop with his leading foot.

Does anyone see anything in there?

Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Ditto
2011-05-30, 07:05 PM
Val scoots carefully forward about 10 ft and finds that the floor does indeed drop off, finding open water ahead of him. From the far side of the room, a wretched creature about the size of a human female but with crooked back and horribly disfigured features rises out of the water and starts cackling madly. The sight of her is revolting. "Won't you join me for dinner, travellers? Kekeke!"

After the crone's prompting, another creature rises from the depths!
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z54/DittoTOL/MysteryBaddie.jpg Kn:Dungeoneering, if you've got it. Kn:Nature on the ugly lady.
A large blue-black crustacean... thing... covered in watery slime and wriggling with loose tentacles rises from the depths and chitters in a frenzy.

Dark blue squares are those confirmed to have no immediate floor under them. I've added grid numbers to the map in my previous post. She rises from the water around I3 and is standing at I2. The other thing is right in the middle of the room.

Everybody please make a Fort save and roll initiative with your first actions!
[roll0]
[roll1]

acid_ninja
2011-05-30, 08:35 PM
Fortitude Save: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

Roll4It
2011-05-31, 10:09 AM
There's not enough drink in this world to make me want to dine with you, lady.

Val drops the Everburning torch behind him and shifts into a defensive position, focusing his attention on the large creature. He calls back to his companions, "Ware the floor! It drops away in front of me here. Target the hag, I'll fend off the monster if it draws close."

+1 Dodge bonus on the creature, +5 to AC from Combat Expertise.

I'm assuming that the squares immediately to my left and right have a floor under them, is that correct?

Fortitude: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

Aron Times
2011-06-01, 02:03 PM
"Time flies, creature. Make Haste, gentlemen!"

Fortitude Save [roll0]
Initiative [roll1]

Anya casts Haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm) on the whole party (up to seven targets).

acid_ninja
2011-06-01, 05:33 PM
OOC: Does the water on the ground hinder movement?

Ditto
2011-06-01, 06:06 PM
Yes, the shin-deep water is difficult terrain. No charging and double movement cost.

Ditto
2011-06-02, 07:48 PM
The tentacled crustacean surges forward and lands a heavy blow on Val, seeking to snatch him up in its claws.

Map (https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdFJHNjUxd0Y0cC1uc2NkeE8xX0pSWWc&output=html)
Hokay, so K-B isn't responding and hasn't posted in... weeks... so we're just going to move on without him. I'll NPC him for the moment and see if I can't locate a replacement.

Initiative
Crabby
Val
Jean
Danyl
Ugly
Anya

[roll0]

Claw attack: [roll1], [roll2] dmg
If hit, grapple attempt: [roll3] touch to initiate, Opposed grapple check: [roll4], Constrict dmg [roll5]
Val, I'll need an opposed grapple check and then your action for the round. To answer your previous question yes, the squares on either side of you are solid.

Roll4It
2011-06-03, 08:56 AM
Do I get an attack of opportunity on the grapple to deny it? Also, why did you roll the opposed grapple roll?

Ditto
2011-06-03, 01:50 PM
No AoO, this critter has Improved Grab. :smallwink: I rolled the creature's grapple check, I was just indicating that Val needs to roll one to oppose it.

Aron Times
2011-06-06, 07:26 AM
Pre-posting my turn to speed things up...

Anya draws her wand of enlarge person and aims it at Val. It should give him a +4 size bonus to grapple and another +1 from the increased strength.

Roll4It
2011-06-06, 08:32 AM
Gods this thing is strong!

Val struggles with the creature...

Opposed Grapple Check: [roll0] (add +5 (+4 for size, +1 for STR) to this is Anya's enlarge person takes affect while we're grappling.

acid_ninja
2011-06-06, 05:57 PM
Anya, do something about bitchface back there! I'll get Val out of trouble!

Using chronocharm of the horizon walker to get an extra move action and moving to J11, then full sneak attacking crabby.

All attacks are against flat-footed AC:
[roll0] (Primary1)
[roll1] (Crit confirm)
Damage: [roll2] + SA [roll3]

[roll4] (Off hand 1)
[roll5] (Crit confirm)
Damage: [roll6] + SA [roll7]

I rolled two 3's in a row. :smallfurious:

[roll8] (Primary 2)
[roll9] (Crit Confirm)
Damage: [roll10] + SA [roll11]

Ditto
2011-06-06, 07:56 PM
Danyl will move up to the creature, hoping to distract its attention from Val, and casts Searing Light.

Searing light: Ranged touch attack [roll0], [roll1], SR check: [roll2]

I think we're a bit jumbled since we started actions before the full initiative was set. Here's what we've got so far:

Creature: Hits and grapples Val (20 dmg)
Val: Attack, possibly
Jean: Move & Full attack (Why is the creature flatfooted? He acted first...)
Danyl: Searing light
Ugly: (Nothing special, dancing around and cackling)
Anya: Haste (or you can switch that to be Enlarge Person, if you'd like, since that's a reaction to what's happening on Val's turn. Nobody's first-round action would reflect either of the bonuses one of those spells confer, though.)

The creature has successfully started grappling with Val, so he cannot initiate a full attack (or attack with the greataxe at all, actually). He can make another opposed grapple check to break free, or make an unarmed strike attack (1d3+Str non-lethal) without a check, among other things (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple).

acid_ninja
2011-06-06, 08:21 PM
He's flat-footed because a grappling creatures loses its dex bonus to AC against anything but the enemy its grappling.

Ditto
2011-06-06, 08:53 PM
So it does! (Grappling rules are a pain.) None of Jean's attacks land, regardless.

acid_ninja
2011-06-06, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I figured. Stupid forum roller.

Aron Times
2011-06-06, 09:09 PM
I'll cast Haste on the first round and Enlarge Person in the next one. Val should delay his action so he gets the benefit of the Enlarge Person buff to grapple. Also, don't forget that your weapon size and reach also get bigger.

Roll4It
2011-06-07, 08:39 AM
I'll just stick with the opposed grapple roll then Ditto, delaying like JS said if you'll allow it. I'll go ahead and delete my pitiful attacks post.

Roll4It
2011-06-08, 11:13 AM
Just re-read what you posted, it seems like I need to make another opposed grapple?

[roll0]

Ditto
2011-06-09, 01:51 PM
Grapple to keep holding Val: [roll0]+5 more, not that it matters.

Yeah, that's for breaking away on your turn. You successfully escape.

Ditto
2011-06-09, 02:03 PM
Still crushing Val, the slimy creature swings its other claw at Danyl.

Hunh, natural 1, didn't even need that boost from Anya.

[roll0], [roll1]; Grapple [roll2], Constrict [roll3]

Round 2:
Creature: Swipe at Danyl
Jean: <Need 2nd round action>
Danyl: Casts command, fail
Ugly: Swims closer & hexes Danyl
Anya: Enlarge Person on Val
Val: Breaks free from grapple (move action still available, if you'd like to use it.)

Roll4It
2011-06-09, 02:04 PM
... and manages to break free of the creatures claws. He takes a step back and readies his axe.

Is that another attack on me Ditto? The stuff above round 2 in the previous post?

Ditto
2011-06-09, 02:10 PM
Hit Danyl, opposing grapple now [roll0]

Ditto
2011-06-09, 02:19 PM
Danyl, seized in the other claw, speaks a Command to try to free himself.

The hag jumps into the water and swims partways across the room, fixing Danyl with an evil glare to hex him.

Oy, I'm posting a bunch of conditional rolls one after another...
Concentration check vs DC21 to cast: [roll0] Fail.
DC 16 Will if he beats SR: [roll1]

Will save for Danyl: [roll2] Pass

Don't forget, Jean gets an extra attack on a full attack and other bonuses from Haste.

acid_ninja
2011-06-09, 06:18 PM
Jean continues his assault on the crustacean, twin blades whirring into a web of steel. Anya, I can't get into position in all that water! Anything you can do about that?

Full attack:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

OoC: The dice roller hates me.:smallfurious:

Roll4It
2011-06-10, 08:49 AM
Less talk more hitting!

Swelled to his new size and with no where to go Val drops the defensive footwork and brings down his axe on the creature...

Assuming we're done with round two then. My attack rolls for round 3:

+15 attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

+15 haste attack: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

+10 attack: [roll4]
damage: [roll5]

I don't think the dice roller likes any of us. :P

Aron Times
2011-06-10, 08:57 AM
Anya casts Glitterdust (Will Negates DC 17).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded

Ditto
2011-06-11, 02:01 PM
The creature shifts Danyl from its claw to its mandibles, holding him in place with tiny pincers and tentacles surrounding its mouth. Then it uses both now-free claws to swipe at Jean, the last annoying mosquito to have damaged it. It is unsuccessful in both attempts, Jean ducking nimbly below the attacks.

Danyl will try to Command the creature to release him again, casting his spell but finding it is shrugged off. The swimming she-thing loiters in the deep water, urging her creature on.

The creature is hit with Anya's spell full-force and roars impotently as it suddenly cannot see its opponents. It (and Danyl) are also very sparkly.

Val is able to land his third blow, doing some serious damage.

Need Jean's action to finish this round.

Danyl fort save against paralytic tentacles: [roll0], Mandible damage: [roll1]

Attacks on Jean: [roll2] Miss Dmg [roll3]
If hit, initiate opposed grapple: [roll4], Constrict dmg [roll5]
Attack2 on Jean: [roll6] Miss Dmg [roll7]
If hit, initiate opposed grapple: [roll8], Constrict dmg [roll9]

Will save against Glitterdust on Anya's turn: [roll10]

Ditto
2011-06-11, 02:12 PM
Danyl: [roll0] Concentration check vs. DC21
SR: [roll1]
[roll2] Creature will vs DC16

Danyl will vs. blindness [roll3]

Roll4It
2011-06-11, 10:18 PM
Did any of my attacks do damage ditto?

acid_ninja
2011-06-12, 09:41 AM
Jean, sensing his moment, puts everything he has into another flurry of strikes.

Primary 1[roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + SA [roll3]

Primary 1 - Haste [roll4]
Crit Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] + SA [roll7]

Off-Hand[roll8]
Crit Confirm: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10] + SA [roll11]

Primary 2[roll12]
Crit Confirm: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14] + SA [roll15]

Ditto
2011-06-12, 01:29 PM
Sorry, missed Val at his new initiative position.

Jean lands three hits, totally slagging the creature. It sinks beneath the surface with a shudder, dragging Danyl with it. Val & Anya can redirect their actions for this round - the hag is still in the water. I'll post some more details later.

Roll4It
2011-06-12, 04:11 PM
Val makes a grab for Danyl in an attempt to drag him free of the sinking creature.

Ditto
2011-06-12, 09:13 PM
The hag fixes her evil gaze upon Jean, sending a wave of terror down his spine.

eh, don't bother saving Danyl. If he can't swim then he deserves to be a goner. :smalltongue: I'm hunting for a replacement player to drop in, we'll just let him drown. Deal with that hag, though!

Jean needs to make a Will save and a Fort save, please.

acid_ninja
2011-06-12, 09:40 PM
Fort Save: [roll0]

acid_ninja
2011-06-12, 09:41 PM
Sorry for the double post but for some reason my will save didn't work. Trying again:

[roll0]

Roll4It
2011-06-13, 08:40 AM
Are there rules regarding alignment change when your actions are being influenced bv the DM? :smalltongue:

Roll4It
2011-06-13, 08:46 AM
Val draws a throwing dagger from his belt and hurls it at the cackling woman...

throwing dagger: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Aron Times
2011-06-13, 01:28 PM
"Let him go!" Anya casts Grease on Danyl, hopefully letting him slip from the creature's grasp.

/defyDM
Grease gives a +10 bonus on Grapple checks to escape. If that's not enough, I'm going to use male enlargement.

Ditto
2011-06-13, 03:22 PM
Really, you can let Danyl die. Honest.

Except you, Roll4it. Why didn't you save him? Shame on you. Val is now CE. Thanks for reminding me. :smalltongue:

Roll4It
2011-06-15, 02:11 PM
I knew it. :smallannoyed:

Did that dagger hit Ditto? Are we on the next round now?

Ditto
2011-06-15, 02:34 PM
Yes, the dagger lands the first hit on the ugly swimmer. Jean passes his saves. If Anya would like to take an action against a useful target, she may... that would finish the round, and bring it back to Jean's turn.

Roll4It
2011-06-17, 09:15 AM
So what's the story, are we moving on or trying to rescue Daynl? I'm fine either way I just want to continue with the adventure.

Ditto
2011-06-17, 01:15 PM
Well, I suppose Anya's spell was ineffective in saving Danyl and that's her action.

Back to the top of the order - Jean's turn!

Aron Times
2011-06-17, 02:24 PM
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Ah well... Never liked him anyway."

Roll4It
2011-06-17, 03:08 PM
Val begins to edge his way left, using his leading foot to test the floor to his left and following the drop-off in front of him.

I'm looking to move as far left as you'll let me, until I hit the wall or find another drop-off like the one in front of us.

Ditto
2011-06-17, 04:37 PM
More map (https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdFJHNjUxd0Y0cC1uc2NkeE8xX0pSWWc&output=html)

Val is able to sidle along the entire southern edge of the room, probing carefully, and finds some floor leading forward on the western edge.

Aron Times
2011-06-18, 12:59 PM
"Your strength betrays you," yells Anya, moving into range to shoot a sparkling ray of Necromantic energy at the creature. "Ray of Enfeeblement!"

Ditto
2011-06-18, 05:08 PM
Needs a ranged touch attack to hit her, and also Spell Resistance.

Aron Times
2011-06-18, 05:25 PM
Ranged Touch Attack [roll0]
Spell Resistance Check [roll1]

Aron Times
2011-06-18, 05:27 PM
Strength Penalty [roll0]

Ditto
2011-06-18, 06:49 PM
Hit and passed. The hag is appreciably weaker, and still damaged as well, swimming out in the middle of the room.

acid_ninja
2011-06-19, 06:10 PM
Jean edges his way to the left, sheathing his blades and drawing his crossbow. Moving to F11, using a move action to sheathe his rapiers and drawing the x-bow as part of the second move action. Dodge bonus against the hag.

[/turn]

Ditto
2011-06-19, 09:16 PM
Round summary:
Jean moves and switches weaponry.
The hag turns her eye on Val this time, attempting to strike terror in him this time. (Fort and Will saves.)
Val moves along the southern edge of the room. (if he makes his saves...)
Anya casts a ray to weaken the hag.

Jean's back up again (after we resolve Val).

acid_ninja
2011-06-19, 09:40 PM
Jean load his crossbow, takes aim and fires before activating his mithrilmist shirt - his square fills with mist, granting concealment

Just come over here so I can introduce you to the girls

OoC: The girls are savvy and sweetness, his blades.

Attack: 1d20+11
Crit Confirm: 1d20+11
Damage: [roll0]

acid_ninja
2011-06-19, 09:41 PM
oops, let's try that again

Attack:
Confirmation: [roll1d20+11

Roll4It
2011-06-20, 08:44 AM
Fortitude: [roll0]
Will: [roll1]

Ditto
2011-06-20, 12:04 PM
Welp, the good news is Val is not instantly dead. The bad news is he's dazed (can take no actions and stands there, blocking the path) for [roll0] rounds. That means Jean couldn't take his move action over to F11, since he can't get around Val while he's all big-like without swimming. You could probably figure a way around that between Jean and Anya working it out...

But whenever Jean gets off his crossbow shot, that hits for 2.

acid_ninja
2011-06-20, 08:05 PM
Rather than move to the left, Jean works his way to the right, trying to see if there is solid ground along the eastern wall of the room. If possible, he moves to L7, if not, L11.

Ditto
2011-06-20, 08:58 PM
There is deep water all along that edge, so the western wall appears to be the only way forward. (Not that you technically know that yet, but whatever...)

The hag passes her turn treading water, gleeful at the large foe she has immobilized.

Adjusted map (https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdFJHNjUxd0Y0cC1uc2NkeE8xX0pSWWc&output=html)
Anya should probably move forward in order to have LoS to cast... feel free to specify your position with your next action, JS.

Aron Times
2011-06-20, 09:24 PM
Anya advances to A7.

acid_ninja
2011-06-20, 09:41 PM
Using a double move to reload and hide (mist grants concealment)

Hide check: [roll0]

Ditto
2011-06-21, 10:39 AM
I think you named the wrong square, JS... unless you have tons of move and can swim?

Aron Times
2011-06-21, 02:20 PM
Double move plus you can move through allies IIRC. I assume the teal squares are passable while the blue ones are deep water?

acid_ninja
2011-06-21, 05:42 PM
Yeah but they're difficult terrain. But we are still hasted, right?

Ditto
2011-06-22, 03:42 PM
Yes, you're still hasted. Upon research, there is no restriction on moving through an ally's square - you just can't charge through it or end your move in their space. So Jean could have moved leftward as he intended. A7 is still way too far for Anya to move, though...

Yes, the dark blue squares are deep. The light blue squares are safe as far as you know, but you can't see below the surface. You've confirmed that the first 10 feet of the room have nice, safe floor under the water all along the southern edge. Several other squares you have seen the baddies swimming in, so you know those are deeper.

Aron Times
2011-06-22, 03:54 PM
Sorry, didn't realize that those squares are difficult terrain. Will move to D11 instead.

acid_ninja
2011-06-22, 05:23 PM
If that's the case, I'll be at F11 but actions remain the same change weapons, load & fire, mist & hide & load

Ditto
2011-06-28, 10:08 AM
Seeing only one opponent left to threaten, and a squishy one at that, the ugly hag rushes at Anya and rakes her with her claws.

[roll0], [roll1] dmg

Aron Times
2011-06-28, 12:48 PM
Anya steps out of range of the hag's claws and fires two rays of fire at her.

Scorching Ray
Ranged Touch Attacks: [roll0], [roll1]
Damage: [roll2], [roll3]

Ditto
2011-06-28, 03:09 PM
Can't 5-foot-step while in difficult terrain. Are you moving regularly and eating an AoO before casting, or Withdrawing as a full-round action?

Aron Times
2011-06-28, 03:23 PM
Sorry. I'm going to move away, provoking an AoO, before casting my spell. Also, spell resistance check:

[roll0]

acid_ninja
2011-06-28, 05:04 PM
Once Anya has moved out of range, Jean fires his crossbow, hoping that the mist has hidden him. Then he drops his crossbow and draws his blades, stepping in to close range with the creature.

Let's dance, bitch.

Attack [roll0]
Crit confirm [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
SA: [roll3]

Edit: That's a threat if I'm not mistaken. Tell me her spot check sucks.

Also, don't forget the STR penalty on ugly from Anya's ray of enfeelbement.

Ditto
2011-06-29, 08:42 AM
The hag swipes with her other claw when Anya backs away. She shrugs off Anya's rays as they burst into stray tongues of flame flashing around her.

Good call, I forgot about the Str damage. The hag's attack still hits, but Anya only took 3 dmg instead of 5.

AoO on Anya: [roll0], [roll1] So 9 dmg total so far.

Jean's arrow is not so easily turned away, and strikes her through the heart. The hag is slain instantly, and burbles an oily black dribble from her mouth as she sinks beneath the water's surface.

Val comes to his senses a few rounds later.

Roll4It
2011-06-29, 02:21 PM
Man, that hurt my head.

Val rubs his temples as he goes to pick up his torch.

Everyone all right?

acid_ninja
2011-06-29, 06:30 PM
Jean stands at the edge of the deep water.

Not all of us. Danyl, we hardly knew ya.

Jean shrugs. Occupational Hazard. So now what, I guess we check out that northern corridor.

Jean edges his way along the western wall, checking if there is a ledge that crosses the water.

Ditto
2011-06-29, 10:28 PM
Jean finds the ledge follows the west wall a few feet, but then drops off like the rest. There is no solid floor leading straight across the room.

Map, now with less floor! (https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdFJHNjUxd0Y0cC1uc2NkeE8xX0pSWWc&output=html)

Roll4It
2011-06-30, 09:20 AM
Val looks at Jean and asks with a raised eyebrow, "Want to go for a swim? I don't think the floor goes all the way across. You're the lighter of the two of us and I don't think we should send Anya down with an open wound in this water. I've got some rope for insurance."

acid_ninja
2011-06-30, 05:24 PM
Jean sighs and begins shrugging out of his coat. After the last thing that came up out of that water, I'm not exactly keen but I don't see much choice. Rope me up and find a spot to brace your feet. Anya, I'd really appreciate it if you had something nasty in store for anything else that comes out of there.

Jean ties a rope around his waist and shrugs out of most of his gear, taking only a dagger and his armor (which is light and doesn't hinder him at all).

Once this is done, he hops into the water and swims across.

OoC: Any luck finding a new divine character?

Use rope: [roll0]
Swim: [roll1]
If needed

Ditto
2011-06-30, 05:41 PM
Jean finds it is a mere 10 foot gap he needs to swim in the scummy water before finding the ledge pick up again. It continues North and wraps around the northern edge of the room. He finds there are a few steps leading to a dry landing and a broad, heavy oaken door to the north, and another small door you had not noticed earlier in the northeast corner of the room. A muffled but persistant noise can be heard from behind the northeast door... a voice, maybe?

You just might find out about a divine character in the next room!
[roll0]

acid_ninja
2011-06-30, 07:07 PM
Yeah, but Jean doesn't know that

Val, toss my gear across, its only about 10 feet. While you're at it, you might want to join me. There's something behind this door.

Once geared up, Jean listens at the door.

Ditto
2011-06-30, 09:49 PM
Of course, of course. that's why we're talking in spoilers! It's all very sneaky, keeping secrets from Jean!

Jean listens at the door and can decidedly make out the sound of a voice being stifled by something, along with a few grunts and some splashing about in shallow water.

Roll4It
2011-07-01, 10:04 AM
"Alright, hang on. After we take a peek behind the door it might be worth searching the bottom of this room for treasure, and my dagger..." Val responds with a sigh.

He then turns to Anya, "Unless you've got some sort of flight spell I think we'll be jumping across. Can you make ten feet or do I need to take you with me?"

I'm assuming that being enlarged to nearly 13 feet tall should make a 10 foot gap sort of a hop for me?

Ditto
2011-07-01, 12:36 PM
Yes, between straddling the gap and balancing on your sword or whathaveyou you'll be able to clear the gap and assist Anya without too much difficulty.

acid_ninja
2011-07-03, 06:46 PM
Once everyone is across, steps to one side of the door, indicating that Val should step to the other side and Anya should stand well back from the door and get ready to cast a spell at whatever's behind it.

He then flings open the door, blades drawn to find...

Ditto
2011-07-03, 09:09 PM
...a narrow room, with a heavily-armored human bound hand and foot. He is semi-prone and seems to have been moving toward the door, and is propped up on one elbow in the water directly before you. The room (20' deep, 10' wide) is otherwise devoid of furniture or features, besides a small pile of gear lying in the opposite corner.

Roll4It
2011-07-03, 10:02 PM
"Going some where?" Val asks with a wry smile.

acid_ninja
2011-07-04, 11:27 PM
Not like that, he's not. Come on, mate, up you go.

Jean cuts the man's bonds and helps him up before stepping back to get a better look at him.

Come here often?

Aron Times
2011-07-05, 08:16 PM
"What's your name, stranger? Are you yet another adventurer seeking to conquer White Plume Mountain?"

Ditto
2011-07-13, 08:30 PM
Hey folks... sorry for the delay. As with the other group, I thought I was waiting on someone's action. :smallredface: I PM'd the new player to see where he's at. If he doesn't report promptly, I'll just run this fellow for now. Watch this space for an exciting introduction to Mr. Metalcoat if he doesn't provide one himself in the next day.

acid_ninja
2011-07-13, 10:56 PM
Just glad its still going

Ditto
2011-07-20, 08:37 AM
Okay, so no back and forth means I'm going to drop this fellow and hunt for another recruit. Let's just move forward, and this fellow will be standing in the rear of the group for the moment. And he'll be mysteriously and inexplicably replaced by another character as soon as I dig one up. I apologize for the delay... I just hate DMPCing a character that ought to be a PC. It's not worth hemming and hawing if the game isn't moving forward at all, though, so on we go.

"Tidek is my name. Thank you for freeing me - that hag planned to feed me to its creature for dinner! I fear my companions, Pard and Darron, must have met such a fate..." He trundles over to the corner and slings on his pack. Hefting his flail, he turns back to the group with iron in his eyes. "I would gladly join you if seek to rid this mountain of its vile inhabitants and I can avenge my fellows."

acid_ninja
2011-07-20, 05:54 PM
To be honest, I'm more interested in ridding this mountain of its wealth but I'll meet you halfway on the vile inhabitants. Fellow-avenging by appointment. Deal?

I'm Jean, by the way, and this is Val and Anya. Welcome aboard.

Now, should we keep heading north?

OoC:
Glad to see we're back up and running.

Roll4It
2011-07-21, 07:10 AM
I'm sure avenging the fallen can be accommodated, we have our own to even the score for. I'm betting there's something of interest at the bottom of that pool that should be reclaimed before we head further north. I'd also like to get my other throwing knife back as well, it will most likely be needed again.

Ditto
2011-07-21, 01:10 PM
Fully kitted up again, the newcomer shakes his head ruefully at talk of diving. "Explore the depths if you must, Val, but I'll not go down in there. It's thick as soup and I would rather any surprises down there come up here to be found!"

Aron Times
2011-07-23, 11:22 AM
Anya busies herself checking her wands and spell components and potions. She then signals her comrades that she is ready to continue.

acid_ninja
2011-07-24, 08:04 PM
I trust your instincts, Val. If you think its worth having a look at the bottom of that pool, I'm game. I swam accross it earlier and I think if there were any nasties down there, they'd have come at me then.

Having said that, I think a safety line is in order. Does anyone have any water breathing magic?

Roll4It
2011-07-25, 02:31 PM
Failing a spell, we can use the rope again and my torch will burn underwater.

acid_ninja
2011-07-25, 05:21 PM
I was kind of thinking both. We've already got one companion down there, I'd rather not have two. Speaking of which, I guess you should bring up Danyl's body. He was a bit weird but no one deserves to just rot down some pit if we can help it. Not to mention the potions he was carrying.

Ditto
2011-07-27, 01:29 PM
Well, feel free to carry on with whatever plan you'd like to pursue...
FYI, I am going on vacation Saturday to Saturday and will likely have no access to post.

Also FYI, I've selected another divine fellow who should actually-exist this time around, and will drop in to say hi soon. He is and always has been the person Tidek was. Who is Tidek? I don't know what you're talking about.

Stormsword
2011-07-28, 03:26 PM
After falling to his knees in a brief prayer, Rashe rises and..." Your companions do not deserve a watery fate. In gratitude, and as mine own fellows may be below, I would happily assist anyone who wishes to tempt the depths immediately, although I myself would not enter without Divine assistance. Perhaps it may be advisable to wait until the morrow, where I may pray for the blessing of underwater breathing."

Forgive me, I don't have my player's handbook at work, so IIRC, water breathing is a 3rd level cleric spell

Rashe glances at each party member in turn, looking for signs of significant injury "Does anyone need aid? I cannot tell if the blood on your armor is yours or that of the foul hag.

Looking back at the logs, it would appear that only Val is significantly wounded, for at least 20 dmg.

acid_ninja
2011-07-28, 07:55 PM
Jean looks at the blood on his coat and armor.Did I get some of that hag's blood on me? Every bloody time! I tell you, it's damn near impossible to keep this stuff clean. Maybe a bit of divine assistance with water breathing would be a good call. Should we head north in the meantime?

Roll4It
2011-07-29, 01:55 PM
Aye Rashe, I could do with some healing to close these wounds before this water infects them. Anya might be hurt as well, I can't remember much of the battle though after I landed my axe out that giant crab thing.

It was midday when we came down here so we can spend a few hours exploring North if we're not going to head down below without the aid of spells.

Stormsword
2011-07-29, 02:32 PM
Rashe begins to pray and lays his gauntleted hands upon Val's wounds. Val feels a soothing touch as his injuries lessen.

Rashe burns the memorized Hold Person to cast Cure Moderate Wounds: [roll0] +7

acid_ninja
2011-08-03, 01:59 AM
Once the healing is complete, Jean glances at his companions and, if no one has any objections, cautiously proceeds to the northern entrance, blades at the ready.

Moving Silently (probably a pretty heft penalty in the water but I'll have a go):
[roll0]

Ditto
2011-08-08, 03:20 PM
The few steps out of the water bring a welcome respite to slogging through the silty wash. The banded oaken door is swollen with moisture and snug in its frame, and will require some force to open rather than swinging freely. Won't be any sneaking through this door, sadly.

But hey, what's the worst that could be other side? :smallbiggrin:

Roll4It
2011-08-08, 09:12 PM
Val looks over the door with a frown. "What do you guys think? Pry it open or bash it down?"

Ditto
2011-08-09, 09:13 AM
To clarify, it's not cemented in place, just firmly stuck. A good Strength check should be able to dislodge it and get it open. I just wanted to clarify that it wasn't possible to slip it open and move past super-stealthily since that was Jean's intent as he approached the door.

Roll4It
2011-08-10, 09:35 AM
Val approaches the door and looks it over, checking the floor, frame and ceiling for anything suspicious.

Ditto
2011-08-10, 01:32 PM
Looks pretty door-y to you. Nothing jumps out at you.

Roll4It
2011-08-11, 08:59 AM
With a look of consternation Val gives the door's handle a tug.

Strength Check: [roll0] (if Enlarge Person is not active anymore subtract 1)

I give up with this dice roller...

Ditto
2011-08-11, 12:39 PM
Val is unable to move the door... though he discovers it swings outward, so pushing may be more successful. That's probably what the problem was. Val is very strong, of course.

Roll4It
2011-08-11, 03:49 PM
"A pox take this door," Val steams as he delivers a heel kick to its midpoint.

Trying again: Strength: [roll0] :smallyuk:

Ditto
2011-08-15, 09:34 PM
(Not to belabor this...)

After a minute or so of grunting and shoving, Val is able to unstuff the from its swollen mooring and it swings begrudgingly open. The ground is now happily dry a few steps up from the watery slosh. Ahead 30 feet, the group can see a heavy iron door set within a wide doorframe. Immediately through the door, up the stairs and leading right, there is another corridor heading off to the east.

Roll4It
2011-08-16, 08:38 AM
"Bloody door," Val grumbles as he gives it a kick and readies his axe and torch. "Well now that this half of the dungeon knows we're here let's see what other pleasant surprises await us."

Val scans the corridor's walls, ceiling and floor ahead as he edges into it.

Ditto
2011-08-16, 09:33 PM
Moving up to the righthand intersection, you can see the passageway extends about 40 feet, then narrows slightly into a cylindrical tunnel that seems to be spinning slowly. The hallway you've traversed so far is unremarkable.

Roll4It
2011-08-18, 02:19 PM
Val peers down the corridor to the right at the spinning walls. "What do you make of that?", he asks? He scans the opening the corridor and then looks closer at the spinning walls themselves.

Stormsword
2011-08-22, 01:22 PM
Rashe looks at the spinning cylindrical tunnel with concern. "It would take considerable balance to move through that passage without falling. Is it coated with anything? I do not trust it. Can it be jammed or somehow otherwise stopped? If not, maybe the most agile among us should go first, with a stout rope around their waist. Perhaps there is something on the other side we could anchor it to, so those of us with less sure footing would have something to hold onto. Anchoring it on this side as well, of course."

Ditto
2011-08-31, 10:16 PM
I've been waiting rather too long to see if everyone was still here without posting some follow-up action... my fault for stalling us a bit. Still curious if acid ninja and Joseph Silver are still present... and if anyone is going to take an action beyond standing still and looking at things.

I'm going away thru Labor Day, so no exciting action to follow up with just yet, but consider this an invite for everyone to check in and do something while you're waiting for me to come back. :smallsmile:

Roll4It
2011-09-08, 10:06 AM
So what's the plan now?

Ditto
2011-09-08, 10:38 AM
Quiet... too quiet...

I'll PM everyone and ask for a check-in that way, but you've been running practically solo for about a month...

Stormsword
2011-09-08, 10:42 AM
Rashe walks over to the spinning tunnel and investigates it directly. He asks himself the following questions. Touching with his gauntleted hand, Is it covered with something, is it made of stone, is it rough or smooth? He looks to see if there is a gap between the non-spinning floor and the spinning floor, where one could theoretically spike the area to cause friction between the two, to perhaps slow the spin. How rapid is the spin I wonder? Timing the revolutions against his heart beat while relaxed, he calculates a rough RPM. He guesses (inexpertly) how long the spinning section is.

I'm still here :D