PDA

View Full Version : White Plume Mountain - 3.5 Group 1

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ditto
2011-05-10, 04:52 PM
{table=head]3.5 Character|Bio|Player
Whiskeyjack (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=178969)|Dwarf Cleric|Firebeard
Rangaistus (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=10768)|Half-orc paladin|Rathgar
Grung (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=295401)|Half-orc barbarian|GFawkes
Taladar Priel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=295568)|Elf wizard|Vladislav
Gleam (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=365270)|Warforged Psion|raggedangel
Kadeem (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=365397)|Kadeem|Doombringer
[/table]

When Riikan Dack, a wealthy collector of rare art objects, hired you to recover a three weapons stolen from his vault, he offered your group 10,000 gp—a reward sizable enough to dissuade you from asking too many questions. He showed you the boastful note left by the thief—supposedly an ancient wizard named Keraptis.

Search ye far or search ye near,
You’ll find no trace of the three
Unless you follow instructions clear,
For the weapons abide with me.

North past forest, farm, and furrow
You must go to reach the feathered mound.
Then down away from the sun you’ll burrow—
Forget life, forget light, forget sound.

To rescue Wave, you must do battle
With the Beast in the Boiling Bubble.
Crost cavern vast, where chain-links rattle
Lies Whelm, past waterspouts double.

Blackrazor yet remains to be won
Underneath inverted ziggurat.
That garnered, think not that you’re done,
For now you’ll find you are caught.

I care not, former owners brave,
What heroes you seek to hire.
Though mighty, each shall be my slave
Or vanish into the fire.

-K

Dack told you that his sources had pinpointed your destination (the “feathered mound” named in the note) as a volcanic peak called White Plume Mountain. Days later, you found yourselves scaling the south slope of the mountain. You soon located an entry tunnel leading into the rock and emerged in a cave that actually seemed to breathe, exhaling a large cloud of steam and then slowly inhaling again, like a man breathing on a cold day.

Ditto
2011-05-10, 04:56 PM
Standing alone in a vast area of dismal moors and tangled thickets is White Plume Mountain, an almost perfectly conical volcanic hill formed millennia ago from the slow leakage of lava. About 1,000 yards in diameter at the base, the peak rises about 800 feet above the surrounding land. The white plume that gives the mountain its name and fame is a continuous geyser that spouts from the very summit. The spray shoots 300 feet into the air, then trails off to the east under the prevailing winds like a great white feather. The water from the geyser collects in numerous depressions downslope that eventually merge, creating a sizeable stream.

The nearest village, Yellowreach, lies about 5 miles from the mountain along the Yellow Flow River (so named for the sulfurous deposits along its banks). From Yellowreach, Fellsind (Dack's home city) is two days' journey south and west. The villagers know of the mountain and its surroundings, as well as details of the only entrance. Steam vents pierce the mountainside in various spots, but none of them is large enough to allow entry. The only possible entrance to the volcanic cone is a cave on the south slope. This cavern is known as the Wizard’s Mouth, where the party finds itself now, poised to enter what stories say was once Keraptis' domain...

Firebeard
2011-05-10, 05:42 PM
Why would Moradin send me to the backside of beyond with two half-orcs and an elf? Whiskeyjack was miserably scratching his backside as he contemplated the mountain and his companions. Though it will be good to get underground again. This fightin' in the plains all the time gets old fer a dwarf...though it seems I been doin' it all my life.

He scratched again, though how he was supposed to feel anything through the plate armor was unclear. The dwarf's armor was clean, though not gleaming as some might keep theirs. The smell was definitely off though, reeking of old alcohol and unwashed dwarf. The hammer at his side had seen a lot of use, and was obviously made of rare adamantium, but the most striking thing about his appearance was the gleaming shield set with the emblem of Moradin in prominent display. The Shield, as Whisleyjack called it, was the visible display of his status in Moradin's eyes. He claimed it was given to him directly by the god himself, and no one dared question the truth of that...at least not more than once.

Aloud, he said "Well, I hope ye got yerselves a way of seein' in the dark. Most caves ain't set up fer fancy dinner parties." He looked askance at the elf. " 'Course, yer like to have a bunch o' spells in that there robe to help ye out. Been workin' with wizards most o' me life, so I knows how ye lot are. Useful in a fight, don't get me wrong, but a mite too clever for yer own good sometimes."

Breathing in deep of the moist air around the mountain, Whiskeyjack continued "I suppose we're ready to go in then?" He looked expectantly at the others.

Rathgar
2011-05-10, 06:08 PM
After dusting himself off a little, the party's majestic paladin began to examine the cave. "This here be the cave. Within it may be many monsters, or absolutely nothing. Such be the way of the cave."

The paladin raised the visor on his helm, revealing his orcish heritage. "However, since this be a place that we are being paid a great sum of money to enter, it only stands to reason that this be a place in which many dangers can be found. It is very fortunate that we be a skilled bunch, and that my skill be backed by the righteous fury of Oikeudenmukaisuus from above." Most are shocked that one with such brutish blood could speak so coherently. In order to shield himself from prejudice, Rangaistus usually concealed his face with his helm, only opening it now to get a better look at what the danger they are about to face.

"So, be everyone ready?"

Vladislav
2011-05-10, 08:01 PM
The tall thin scholarly looking Elf was pacing around, supporting his chin with his fingers. His clothes a mishmash of colors, he clearly couldn't color-coordinate if his life depended on it. A red-yellow cloak was thrown over green traveller clothing, and under it, black pants were showing. He spoke as if to himself, seemingly oblivious to the others. Only a slight raise of his eyebrows might hint that he heard or understood the dwarf was referring to him.

Right then, a cave. And there seems to be some geothermal processes going. Which means a source of heat. Hope everyone's protected from fire.

After a short pause, he continued.

And of course we should be wary of traps. Magical or otherwise. Let me have a look... After fumbling in the many pockets of his clothes, he produces a short piece of wood, more like a splinter really, and pointed it here and there, as if prodding the air.

scan the area with wand of detect magic

Also, for future reference:

An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.(search modifier +8)

Ditto
2011-05-10, 09:04 PM
No magic of note at the cave mouth.

Auto-Search check duly noted. Ditto for stonecunning on our dwarf. Let me know if you'd like to maintain concentration on your wand's casting until you find something better to do with your standard action.

GFawkes
2011-05-10, 11:25 PM
Grung scratches his head, not quite understanding what the elf had said. "You no make sense, SpellElf, but Grung willing to help get sword back." he says to Taladar. Grung wasn't quite the sharpest sword in the case, but his axe was more than willing to find an appropriate end to conersations.

Rathgar
2011-05-11, 12:23 AM
Rangaistus

The Paladin turned to the fellow half-orc and began to speak in a refined version of Orcish. "The elf is saying it's hot and maybe dangerous."

Rangaistus then lowered his visor and began to concentrate, trying to find a possible residual of evil.

Uses Detect Evil, my apologies for stealing the elf's idea.

Firebeard
2011-05-11, 09:00 AM
"Ye two get yerselves up front, an' I'll walk beside the elf. I'm not thinkin' it would be good for him to find himself by himself, if'n ye understand me. If the fightin' starts, ye'll have our support, don't ye be doubtin' that." Whiskeyjack was speaking to the half-orcs, of course, but nodded to the elf to include him as well. When he said the word 'support', he lifted his shield to catch the sun's light.

"I said it before, and I'll tell ye again, I ain't much for stayin' in the back tossing healing spells like no girly elf. But I can make sure ye don't go down in the fightin' and I'll be swingin' my hammer right beside ye." Whiskeyjack reached down to his belt and pulled a pouch full or aromatic alcohol. He drank a deep swig, then looked at the skin. Glancing at his companions with perpetually bloodshot eyes, he shrugged and then offered the skin to them to drink as well.

Ditto
2011-05-11, 09:00 AM
No evil of note at the cave mouth.

The rushing steam buffets you as you stand at the cave mouth - warm, but not enough to scald you, like a sauna. The whoosh of cold air as the steam buildup escapes out another vent in the cave makes standing there uncomfortable from the back-and-forth temperature change.

The cave entry doesn't go very deep, but Rangaistus can see a journeyman's rune crudely carved into the back wall about 40 feet in. It indicates 'down'.

Vladislav
2011-05-11, 09:19 AM
At the mention of "girly elf", Taladar's head swings around, but all he can see is a couple of half-orcs... wait, wasn't there a dwarf? Ah, yes, right there, he just needed to swivel his head a bit further down. No girl elf. Oh well, must have misheard.

The smell emanating from the wineskin prompts some motion inside the wizard's robes, and soon a small rodent's head pokes out, sniffing the air. Relax, Marco. Down. DOWN! It's just alcohol, a mild stimulant with interesting aftereffects, and we don't want none of that. Thank you, master dwarf, but Marco and I must respectfully decline. We're stimulated enough by this hot steam and all. Shall we move along?

OOC
Detect Magic remains on until a charge runs out (1 minute), moving half speed if needed

Ditto
2011-05-11, 09:23 AM
That's 1 minute per level, so you've got a while. :smallsmile:

Firebeard
2011-05-11, 09:28 AM

Ah, but I imagine he only bought it as a CL1 wand :smallwink:

GFawkes
2011-05-11, 11:15 AM
Grung gives a nod of understanding, then heads into the cave.

Ah, but I imagine he only bought it as a CL1 wand :smallwink:

Do we have an OOC thread up for this sort of thing? Also, I turn darkvision on.

Ditto
2011-05-11, 11:34 AM
As Grung plods into the mucky cavern, slick from steam, he sees a simple trapdoor set into the floor of the cavern beneath the rune. It is set with a ring to lift it, and the mud has been more or less cleared from around its edge.

Right! I stand corrected, one minute. I thought about an OOC, but spoilers work just as well. I'm not fussed, as long as we can tell what's going on IC and what's OOC.

Darkvision is always 'on'! Sometimes you just notice there isn't enough light and everything is in black and white. :smallsmile:

Rathgar
2011-05-11, 12:01 PM
"There be no evil here...yet. However, there be a strange rune here, one that says "down". I fear it may be a trap, for it be too obvious. I say approach with caution."

I'm ready to go in when everyone else is, but I'm not going to just walk in without at least looking at what is there somewhat.

Firebeard
2011-05-11, 12:09 PM
Whiskeyjack hooks his repurposed waterskin back on his belt, since no one else appeared to be interested in a swig. Following the half orcs into the cave, he too saw the rune and trapdoor. Grinning he said, "Well, it appears that our thief is leadin' us long by the nose, as it were. Who's gonna try the handle? I can always heal ya up if ya need it." The dwarf grinned. Although he hated the thought of patching up friends and companions, it was a simple fact of his life. Better to be fighting with them than patching holes, but you couldn't always have things your way.

Vladislav
2011-05-12, 10:03 AM
No need to risk one of us. I have something to do the trick. Something no one will cry over the loss of. Stand back ...

Taladar fumbles for yet another wand, and waves it in the direction of the door. A large white-furred monkey appears, blinking his eyes expectantly.

Poshel nafig! Taladar commands, and the monkey grabs hold of the ring and pulls.

Celestial: "Open the trapdoor"

Ditto
2011-05-12, 12:12 PM
The monkey heaves and struggles a moment, but is able to gain purchase and lift the trapdoor without incident. A rusty metal staircase spirals down into warm, humid darkness. The stairs seems to vibrate slightly, as if in tune with some inaudible subterranean rumbling.

Vladislav
2011-05-12, 12:43 PM
OOC
This is a CL 1 wand as well, so the summoned critter has 1 round of actions; If opening the door was a move or standard action, it still has a move action left, and I command it to go down the stairs. If it was a full round action, it vanishes, its job done.

Ubeysa apstenku! Taladar commands the simian, pointing down.

Ditto
2011-05-12, 01:59 PM
The monkey is able to successfully skitter down to the bottom of the spiral unmolested, some 10 or 15 feet. He splashes about in some shallow water at the foot of the stair for a few moments before winking out.

'Large' monkey, you say? 'Tiny', friend! :smalltongue: It was of no consequence here, so he's braved the stairwell for you... but give the monkey credit for heaving that trapdoor as he did!

Firebeard
2011-05-12, 02:02 PM
"I suppose that'd be one way to find out. Aye, good call. Shall we get started, then?" Whiskeyjack gestured towards Ragnaistus and Grung.

Vladislav
2011-05-12, 02:03 PM
Well, seems safe enough so far, shall we proceed?

Sorry for the size mismatch, I thought for some reason he's larger than that.

GFawkes
2011-05-12, 02:56 PM
"Grung will go first. Other party members too squishy for safety." Grung says, heading to the mouth of the stairwell and descending.

Vladislav
2011-05-13, 01:43 PM
Taladar isn't eager to go first, nor second or even third, so he allows whoever is interested to lead the way. The 'squishy' comment, fortunately, reminds him to invoke Mage Armor before going down the ladder.

Firebeard
2011-05-13, 02:04 PM
Whiskeyjack looked at Ragnaistus and nodded for the paladin to go next. Once teh big form had squeezed though the trapdoor, he followed, with the mage close behind. His dwarven eyes adjusted to the gloomy darkness below quite easily and he looked about as they descended.

Ditto
2011-05-13, 02:09 PM
The stairs creak in complaint as you descend, but are sturdy enough, and after 10 or 15 feet they deposit you in a pool of shin-deep water at the base. The air is heavy and humid, and the water at your feet swirls with loose dirt and other assorted ick. Your magical light (or darkvision) dimly shows the water-logged corridor heading east for about 30 feet, then turning north.

The water is about a foot deep, and counts as difficult terrain. It takes 2 squares of movement to go 1 square. Also, it's splashy. You're not very sneaky at the moment.

Firebeard
2011-05-13, 02:15 PM
dwarf, plate armor...I'm not very sneaky ever

Rathgar
2011-05-13, 02:23 PM
"It be wetter in here than I expected. I hope that my boot knife is alright after this." The Paladin started to try and Detect Evil, peering around the corner as he did so.

Sorry for the delays, we have had a big shake-up at work with someone suddenly resigning and me having to train the new person on my days off.

Ditto
2011-05-13, 03:35 PM
After turning north, the corridor leads to a 4-way intersection. A bedraggled creature rests on a 2-foot-high pile of bones that fills the intersection. The creature’s body looks like that of a mangy lion, and great, tattered wings lie folded at its sides. A female humanoid face peers out from beneath the tangled mat of hair that covers its head. She is casually drawing herself to her feet as you peer around the corner.

"Come forward, traveller!" she lazily beckons, making no pretension that she is unaware of the group's arrival.

For reference, the unlit corridor is 10 ft wide, and 30 ft past the bend to the creature's perch.

She does not detect as evil.

Vladislav
2011-05-13, 03:40 PM
Suddenly realizing it's getting dark down there and he's the only group member with no darkvision, Taladar sees it prudent to strike a sunrod. Seeing the lion-lady ahead, he racks his brain for what this monstroucity might be, but takes no step forward for now.

Knowledge, whichever applies:
Dungeoneering [roll0]
Arcana [roll1]
Religion [roll2]
Nature [roll3]
The Planes [roll4]

Firebeard
2011-05-13, 04:49 PM
Whiskeyjack follows Ragnaistus around the corner as the creature spoke. The bedraggled thing looked miserable, but he wasn't about to underestimate the capabilities of something with a lion's body. The dwarf held a plate-armored arm out to warn Taladar back.

"If it's all the same to you, we'll be stayin' right here until you be explainin' yourself. We're on a mission to find a thief and recover stolen goods. If you're in league with him, best be movin' out of our way. If you're not, you still best be movin' out of our way...but we'll say please." Whiskeyjack grinned at this last. Who said dwarves couldn't be polite?

Rathgar
2011-05-14, 06:15 AM
Rangaistus sighed at his companion's coarseness. "Um...what my stout friend be trying to say is trying to say is 'Hello, how be you, ma'am?'"

Ditto
2011-05-14, 09:34 PM
Taladar can identify it as some kind of sphinx. The lady kind, evidently. He doesn't know much beyond that, save they are very territorial.

"Staying there? Well, it's all the same to me. Many stolen things are found in the halls beyond, likely even that which you seek. Few return from beyond this place with their items... most who come inquiring end up permanent residents. You have been warned.

I care not whether you turn back or come forward. Do not advance until you are ready to meet my price, though, lest you raise my ire. It is but a word: answer my riddle, and you may pass."

GFawkes
2011-05-14, 10:26 PM
"What if answer group gives is wrong?" Grung asks, thinking slightly ahead.

Ditto
2011-05-14, 11:20 PM
She smirks at Grung's question. "Then you would be ill-advised to try and pass."

Firebeard
2011-05-15, 06:28 AM
"Bah! There's naught to do in the mercs at night between jobs but sit around the fires and play games, tell old stories, sharpen your weapons and riddle. I imagine I've heard more'n half the riddles in this world. Between me'n the elf here, we can surely work somethin' out.

Heh, when I was with the Copper Dragoons - or was it the Copper Vixens? I always get those two mixed up, it was almost 40 years ago. No, I remember it was the Dragoons 'cause the captain had this bad limp from gettin' bit by a were-crocodile. Anyways, we had a HUGE wager on whether or not Braden Cummer-something would be able to answer a riddle or have to eat 3 live scorpions! Hah! That was some good times. Too bad Braden died in the next run...well, so did most of the Dragoons for that matter..."

Whiskeyjack started to reach for his flask to wet his whistle before continuing, but stopped when he remembered the situation they were currently in.

Vladislav
2011-05-16, 01:46 PM
A riddle. Mmm hmm. Some of those can be very stimulating to the mind. Haven't had an intellectual challenge since we left, uhm, what's the name of that town again? Anyway, for a while. And if we can pass through without incinerating and shredding a fine specimen such as yourself - no offense meant - the better. So ask away, Mrs. Sphinx!

Ditto
2011-05-17, 08:28 AM
"Such optimism! Before you attempt my riddle: Where will you go from here? You stand in the south corridor now. I trust you can understand your options at my crossroads."

Vladislav
2011-05-17, 08:38 AM
Well, all those corridors look the same to me. Taladar scratches the back of his neck. It would seem like our option are forward, left and right, however, given the lack of information, I believe all those are but one option - choose a path at random. Unless ... his eyes squint, unless you let through more than you intended, when you said,

I care not whether you turn back or come forward.

Unless of course "forward" was used figuratively, and not as opposed to "left" or "right". Whatever it may be, I believe we understand our options very well, so riddle away!

Ditto
2011-05-17, 08:30 PM
To Taladar's overanalysis she says, "As I said, I care not which path you take. Forward toward the north is as good a choice as any. To go north, tell me:

Round she is, yet flat as a board
Altar of the Lupine lords
Jewel on black velvet, pearl in the sea,
Unchanged but e'erchanging, eternally.
What am I?"

Vladislav
2011-05-17, 08:51 PM
... Her patron godess is Selune,
and we know her as the Moon.

Taladar instinctively responds in rhyme, channeling his days in Mrs. Eoriel's nursery 130 years ago.

Ditto
2011-05-17, 09:38 PM
"Correct. You may pass." Without further comment, the creature flattens her wings against her body and pads a step to the west, splishing gently into the water there. She remains tensed and watches each of you passing over her bone pile carefully; she awaits hearing you repeat the correct answer to her riddle before truly granting you clearance to move onward.

Thirty feet beyond the creature's perch, a large, circular alcove about 10 feet in diameter extends out from the right (east) side of the hallway. Its floor is covered in the same brackish, calf-deep water as the corridor. Another twenty feet on, you see the corridor opening into a larger chamber.

Firebeard
2011-05-17, 09:44 PM
Whiskeyjack nods at the sphynx as they walk past, muttering "moon" to himself and snorting. As they slog through the water, he wonders if it might have been a good idea to learn some underwater breathing or swimming spell this morning. Ah well, if the barb falls in, I'll at least be wary.

Ditto
2011-05-17, 09:57 PM
It occurs to me that it might be useful to have a general marching order. Does the order you entered the cave make sense? - Grung, Rangaistus, Taladar, Whiskeyjack? You can stand two abreast in these hallways for the time being, as well, if you want to move that way.

Firebeard
2011-05-18, 07:11 AM
Works for me.

If we marching two by two, I'll stand next to the mage.

Rathgar
2011-05-18, 08:52 AM
"Let's hope our next riddle be that easy, if we be getting another one." The Paladin continued to lead the group beside the other half-orc, never letting his ability to Detect Evil waver.

GFawkes
2011-05-18, 12:34 PM
"Grung's mother right. Grung learn new thing every day." Grung shrugs, moving past the sphinx.

Ditto
2011-05-19, 11:22 AM
So everyone's moved past the sphinx... didn't know if you wanted to look into the alcove at all or if you move forward and I should just go ahead describing the room up ahead.

Firebeard
2011-05-19, 11:24 AM
Look in, yes. Go in? No. Wearing full plate, Whiskeyjack is VERY paranoid about falling into deep water. :smallbiggrin:

Vladislav
2011-05-21, 08:24 AM
Taladar peers into the alcove, just in case.

Ditto
2011-05-22, 06:00 PM
A cursory examination from the path reveals nothing special - it's an empty small chamber filled with the same murky water that you're wading through right now.

Rathgar
2011-05-23, 02:01 PM
"Well, it would appear that this be safe. Let's keep going." Rangaistus then continued forward on the path, trying not to leave the others too far behind.

Ditto
2011-05-23, 03:52 PM
As Rangaistus advances toward the room ahead, he totally detects evil.

Moving up to the entry of the room, you see a broad, empty chamber 60 feet square filled with the same murky water filling the whole space. The walls are decidedly worked stone, the first solid construction you've noted since entering the cave. On the far side, you can just make out a short set of stairs rising from the water and leading to a door. (Those of you without darkvision mostly just see a watery room.)

Map! (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdG9XWWdzRkgtYm9MWEZNczFIQTZmY2c&output=html)

Firebeard
2011-05-23, 08:57 PM
As they came to the room, Whiskeyjack whistled appreciatively at the worksmanship of the stone. He couldn't put his finger on what the work reminded him of...Tranquish maybe? Or was it Myrrish? Either way, it was good stonework.

Rathgar
2011-05-23, 11:50 PM
"Wait, I sense great evil in this room. Or at least a good bit of evil." Rangaitus focused to see if he could pinpoint the direction and possibly the nature of the evil.

Ditto
2011-05-25, 10:11 AM
As Rangaistus concentrates his gaze around the room, he detects 2 distinct evil auras - one from below the surface in the center of the room, and one on the far side.

The one on the far side reveals itself just a moment later - a wretched creature, about the size of a human female but with crooked back and horribly disfigured features rises out of the water and starts cackling madly. The sight of her is revolting. "Won't you join me for dinner, travellers? Kekeke!"

I"ve added grid numbers to the map in my previous post. She rises from the water around I3 and is standing at I2.

Everybody please make a Fort save and roll initiative with your first actions!

Vladislav
2011-05-25, 10:27 AM
Fortitude [roll0]
Initiative [roll1]

Knowledge check to identify the creature, whichever applies:
[roll2] (+11 Arcana, Dungeoneering or Religion, +10 The Planes)

GFawkes
2011-05-25, 02:50 PM
Initiative:
[roll0]

Fortitude:
[roll1]

Rathgar
2011-05-25, 04:46 PM
Rangaistus
Initiative: 22
HP: 57/57
Position: ??

"Halt, foul villain! Surrender at once, or prepare to meet the retribution of Oikeudenmukaisuus!"

Rangaistus turned to his fellow party members. "Watch out, there be one yet to surface! It be right about..." He gave a good swing of his double-axe to where he sensed still submerged evil. "...here!"

Initiative: [roll0]
Fortitude Save: [roll1]

Rangaistus will the one that is still submerged before it can get the jump on it.

Rathgar
2011-05-25, 04:58 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to roll my attack rolls.
Attack: [roll0]
Critical Confirmation (if needed): [roll1]
Concealment (if needed) (low roll will hit): [roll2]
Damage: 1d8+5

Firebeard
2011-05-25, 08:49 PM
Whiskeyjack looked at the creature in front of them and grimaced. He didn't know what that was, but it made one ugly woman. "I'd rather drink, thanks all the same." Noticing the paladin's reaction, he immediately raised his shield protectively to cover himself and possibly the wizard, if the elf crowded in close.

Fighting defensively.

fort: [roll0]
init: [roll1]

Ditto
2011-05-26, 01:51 PM
Unfortunately for Taladar, the creature's hideous appearance is overwhelming and he finds himself dazed.

[roll0] [roll1]
Rangaistus detects the second creature in the middle of the room, at like G7 or so. Are you charging out to attack it, or waiting for it to come to you? I think you left a word out of your original spoilered text. :smalltongue:
Rangaistus can attack the hidden creature first if he'd like, because he knew it was there. Following that decision, the action order is:
1 Mystery baddie
2 Rangaistus
3 Ugly creature
4 Grung
5 Whiskeyjack

Taladar is zoned out and totally shocked on his feet, unable to take actions. For quite a while, sadly. Maybe if you survive the battle you'll figure out how to fix that.

The appropriate knowledge check here would be Kn: Nature.

Is Whiskeyjack fighting defensively (meaning he's attacking something), or using Total Defense?

Rathgar
2011-05-27, 01:19 AM
Rangaistus will go after it now. Sorry, I was just about to go to bed when I made those posts, so they were kind of rushed.

Firebeard
2011-05-27, 06:33 AM
Assuming we had a sort of pre-round, I was going for total defense. Since I am acting after the baddies in init order, I'll see how they act before I post in.

Ditto
2011-05-27, 09:27 AM
Charging the mystery baddie proves problematic, as Rangaistus finds there is no longer any floor under him beneath the water...

Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdG9XWWdzRkgtYm9MWEZNczFIQTZmY2c&output=html)
Dark blue squares are ones you now know don't have any floor close at hand. Watch out for those.

I'ma make a Reflex save for you just to move this along and see if you stop yourself immediately after falling in, or if you drift a little farther and start sinking first.
Rang Ref: [roll0]
Congrats, you are in the water immediately adjacent to the last floor you detected.

Remind me about Aura of Awe - you are still immune to Fear effects, but your allies do not get a bonus against them, correct? Your enemies have a penalty to Fear?

Ditto
2011-05-27, 10:08 AM
After Rangaistus' abortive charge attempt, the second creature in the room reveals itself:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z54/DittoTOL/MysteryBaddie.jpg Kn:Dungeoneering, if you've got it.
A large blue-black crustacean... thing... covered in watery slime and wriggling with loose tentacles rises from the depths and chitters in a frenzy. Now that it senses meat in the water, it bursts from the surface and moves up to pince the paladin with its enormous slimy claw.

Claw attack: [roll0] Dmg: [roll1]
If hit, immediate free grapple attempt. Touch attack to grab: [roll2], Opposed Grapple check [roll3]. Constrict dmg if successful: [roll4]
AFAIK, you don't take AC penalties just for being in water, so that claw attack doesn't hit. Lucky you! There's still a slimy nasty fellow up in your business. Less lucky.

Rangaistus' turn.

Rathgar
2011-05-27, 12:55 PM
Rangaistus
Position: I10

"Try to lure me into the deep water you be! That shall not stand!" Rangaisus then proceeds to swing at the beast with his double-axe.

Full attack action against the unknown monster that has arisen from the water using his double-axe.

First Attack With Right End: [roll0]
Critical Confirmation (If Needed): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

First Attack with Left End: [roll3]
Critical Confirmation (If Needed): [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Second Attack With Right End: [roll6]
Critical Confirmation (If Needed): [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

Second Attack With Left End: [roll9]
Critical Confirmation (If Needed): [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]

Edit: Yes, you are correct about the Aura of Awe not boosting my allies' defenses against Fear based effects.

Firebeard
2011-05-27, 04:19 PM
I'll take you up on that k. dungeoneering [roll0]

GFawkes
2011-05-27, 04:35 PM
just want to double check something. The terrain counts as difficult, right? That means double movement cost and no running or charging.

Ditto
2011-05-29, 09:30 PM
Whiskeyjack recalls hearing of such creatures haunting the dwarves' darkest subterranean pools. This slimy, tentacled crustacean is a slime chuul, also known as an uchuulon, the result of a normal chuul that has been implanted with a mind flayer tadpole. It is an aquatic abberation, so it can breathe underwater and see in the dark, as well as a twisted mind that is difficult to attack.

Correct, this is difficult terrain. Double move, no charge.

Rangaistus actually has to make a Swim check to stay afloat. Or, if he wants to drift back and hug the wall where he stepped off, that'd be okay too, but he can't get a full attack out of it. ...or he can, and just immediately start sinking thereafter. You've got options. :smallbiggrin: I dunno if you just want to keep the relevant attacks from your initial post or reroll, whichever fits the flow of your actions is fine. It would take a move action to pull yourself out of the water into the land-square.

Firebeard
2011-05-30, 07:49 AM
"Ach! It's an uchoolon, foul thing. Ware the waters, as it likes deep pools." Gripping his shield firmly, he spoke the words that appeared in his mind those many years ago. "Moradin, I will be your shield!" Whipping his arm to the side,he flung the shield at the wretched form across the water. The symbol of Moradin glowed brightly as the shield spun through the air to slam heavily into the creature.

Use the ranged ability on the shield to hurl it at the female creature (controlling?) the uchoolon. [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Firebeard
2011-05-30, 07:51 AM
Possible crit from the thrown shield? That would make my day :smallbiggrin:

[roll0]

Rathgar
2011-05-30, 02:57 PM
Shoot, I guess I should pay more attention. I'll get out of the water, then attack if I can.

Ditto
2011-05-30, 07:30 PM
Whiskeyjack's shield strikes true, bloodying the ugly creature heavily! She's not looking so good.

The uchuulon moves forward to strike at Rangaistus with his claws again.

I took the liberty of moving Whiskeyjack forward into the room so that he'd have a clean line of sight to attack the hag. Otherwise you'd be throwing through a paladin and a giant shrimp, which probably wouldn't have worked. Please take note of the map and use it to plan out your movement and attacks accordingly! :smallsmile:

Rangaistus moving 5 ft up onto the ledge again means you can't reach the uchuulon, but it'd be totally reasonable for you to ready an attack action for when it moves in to attack you again, if you'd like to go ahead and make that action. Which it just did. And whether or not you hit it (which will happen right before this), he's going to claw at you and attempt to grapple again.

Two claw attacks:
[roll0], [roll1] Miss
[roll2], [roll3]
If either hit, immediate free grapple attempt. Touch attack to grab: [roll4], Opposed grapple if hit: [roll5], Constrict Dmg if win grapple: [roll6]
Touch attack to grab: [roll7] Hit!, Opposed grapple if hit: [roll8], Constrict Dmg if win grapple: [roll9] I'll need an opposed grapple check from Rangaistus.

Rathgar
2011-05-31, 10:53 AM
opposed grapple [roll0]

GFawkes
2011-05-31, 12:19 PM
"Grung also have meal for you. It have sharp taste!" Grung calls to the woman-thing-XPchunk. Noticing the Chuul, Grung moves to it and hacks at it with his axe.

Sorry about the pun. Some things just need to be said.

Swift action: RAGE! (New stats: STR 26{+8}, CON 20{+5}, Will Save Modifier{+6}, AC {16}, Hitpoints are now 86/86. I have 11/11 Rounds remaining. I'll get this in an update sheet or something.

Move action: Use 20 ft of movement to move to J-11

Standard Action: Attack Chuul
To-hit: [roll0]
Confirm Crit (If needed, only happens on a natural 20): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2], counts as adamantine for the purposes of DR.
Critical Damage (Again, if needed): [roll3]

Ditto
2011-05-31, 04:30 PM
Round 1 summary:

The uchuulon swipes at Rangaistus, but doesn't connect. Rangaistus climbs to solid ground. The hag dances around and cackles. Grung moves forward and swipes, but can't get through the creature's heavy slimy carapace. Whiskeyjack makes a phenomenal throw with his holy shield, grievously injuring the mad hag. Taladar checks out the fungus growing on the wall nearby.

Round 2:
The uchuulong swipes with both claws this time, connecting once and bludgeoning Rangaistus. The paladin fends off the pincer's grip successfully.

Rangaistus' turn.

Rathgar
2011-05-31, 08:44 PM
Rangaistus
HP: 42/57
Position: I11

"Egads, this be a tough crustacean. We shall not let you stand much longer!"

Full attack action against the Chuul.

First Attack with Left End: [roll3]

Ditto
2011-05-31, 08:58 PM
Rangaistus' first two blows strike true, but become slick with the creature's ichor and cannot find purchase for the second strikes.

The hag just paces back and forth, urging on its creature to dig deeper into your delicious meaty selves.

Taladar shakes off his daze from the hags ungodly awful appearance, but remains sickened.

Taladar's daze is over and he can act normally (take Initiative right after the Hag, so now!), but is Sickened for [roll0] rounds.

Firebeard
2011-05-31, 09:27 PM
Whiskeyjack was so impressed by the results of his throw that he almost failed to ready himself as the shield reappeared in his hand, to the astonishment of all. Growling, the dwarf reared back and hurled the shield again, with a cry of "Moradin!" that nearly deafened the nearby elf.

throw: [roll0]

Let's try that again, shall we?

Vladislav
2011-05-31, 10:54 PM
Deafened, or possibly shook him into action? At the scream, Taladar wakes up from his stupor. What... where... what's going on, who and why are we fighting? Marco, a little help!? The rat chitters something and points his nose toward the pool, where the two orcs are battling the crustacean. Ah, here we go. A lobster? Let us cook it, I hear they're delicious. He sends a burst of flame at the crustacean.

Fiery Burst for [roll0], Ref 20 half

Ditto
2011-06-01, 08:35 AM
Another impressive hurl across the room, and Whiskeyjack fells the hag with Moradin's shield. She crumples and lays half-submerged, bleeding out.

Uchuulon Ref: [roll0]
Fiery burst acts just like a magic missile, right? Auto-hit, single target? Or is there a spread, like with Fireball? Does SR apply?

Vladislav
2011-06-01, 09:03 AM
It's like a mini-fireball - 5' radius burst with Reflex half. SR applies.
Caster level check, if it's relevant: [roll0]

Ditto
2011-06-01, 02:09 PM
SR is relevant, but you pass. And he doesn't dodge well. Also, it's not necessarily relevant since this creature is Large so you can throw it on the far side of him, but please specify where you're dropping the burst. Probably so that it doesn't hit your buddies who are in melee with the badguy.

Grung's turn.

Firebeard
2011-06-01, 03:10 PM
Yeah in my campaigns I had to limit fiery burst to single targets only to avoid it's power level on lots of congested small targets

GFawkes
2011-06-02, 08:01 PM
Screaming with primal fury, Grung continues to attack the Chuul.

Rage: 10 Rounds left
AC: 16
HP: 86/86

Full Attack
Attack 1:
To hit: [roll0]
Confirm Crit: [roll1]

Attack 2:
To hit: [roll3]
Confirm Crit: [roll4]

Ditto
2011-06-02, 08:17 PM
Round two:

The uchuulon stikes Rangaistus, who evades its grasping claw. The paladin wounds it, and Whiskeyjack downs the hag. Taladar torches the creature, and Grung scores two hits on top of that.

Roaring at its wounds, the tentacled beast changes targets and thrashes at its latest assailant, Grung.

Two claw attacks:
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
If either hit, immediate free grapple attempt. Touch attack to grab: [roll4], Opposed grapple if hit: [roll5], Constrict Dmg if win grapple: [roll6]
Touch attack to grab: [roll7], Opposed grapple if hit: [roll8], Constrict Dmg if win grapple: [roll9]

Firebeard
2011-06-02, 09:55 PM
"Och! And there be the answer to those that say a Shield of Moradin is a defensive position only. Who'da thunk a dwarf would fight at range, heh?" Whiskeyjack grumbled as the shield returned to its rightful place on his arm. Then, he slid around behind those currently fighting the uchuulon and lashes a strike out at the shelled creature with his warhammer.

Move to 11H

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1], adamantite weapon

Vladislav
2011-06-02, 11:31 PM
Grung, noooo!

Seeing the barbarian in trouble, Taladar gets close to help. No, he won't attack the creature, he has a better idea. He touches Grung on his shoulder, and suddenly the half-orc starts to grow, head almost touching the ceiling, towering over the crustacean, who now doesn't look too scary.

Polymorph Grung into a Fire Giant. Base Str 31, Dex 9, Con 21 before adjusting for items and/or rage. Also Large size. And Grung gains hit points as if rested a night, and possibly more hit points due to Con increase. That should help with those grapple checks ...

GFawkes
2011-06-03, 08:12 PM
Thanks. Grung's stats are now as follows:

STR: 35 (+12)
DEX: 9 (-1)
CON: 25 (+7)

Grapple Modifier:
7 (BAB) + 12 (STR) + 4 (Size) = 23

Counter Grapple check:
[roll0]

Rathgar
2011-06-04, 05:43 AM
Rangaistus
HP: 42/57
Position: I11

"It be too late for you, crawfish! This be your last stand against the retributive might of Oikeudenmukaisuus the Just!"

I'm not 100% certain I'm supposed to post now, but just in case, I'll do one more full attack action.

First Attack With Right Side: [roll0]
Critical Confirmation (if needed): [roll1]

First Attack With Left Side: [roll3]
Critical Confirmation (if needed): [roll4]

Second Attack With Right Side: [roll6]
Critical Confirmation (if needed): [roll7]

Second Attack With Left Side: [roll9]
Critical Confirmation (if needed): [roll10]

Ditto
2011-06-04, 01:25 PM
Rangaistus action here is good, you're all in order.

The new form granted by Polymorph is limited to the same number of HD as the fellow being polymorphed, so 7 in this case unless I'm missing something. Fire Giants have 15 HD. Care to choose another creature for Taladar's spell?

Vladislav
2011-06-04, 02:47 PM
Crap, I reread the spell 5 times and still managed to miss that...

Grung, does being a 7-headed Hydra work out for you?

Base Str 19, Dex 12, Con 20, +8 natural AC; Most importantly, Huge size and seven bite attacks for 1d10+Str

GFawkes
2011-06-04, 07:21 PM
That would work, as long as all the heads have the same personality. I once had a DM who insisted otherwise.

Ditto
2011-06-04, 09:23 PM
Alright, looks like your modifier should be 4 (str) + 7 (BAB) + 8 (size). Your roll was an 11, so total check of 30.
Uchuulon trying to maintain grapple: [roll0]
Ugh, now you're making me look up the Grapple rules to resolve ties...

Vladislav
2011-06-04, 09:36 PM
In case of any tie, IIRC, the higher modifier wins; this is not unique to grapple, but true for any opposed check

So 11+19 beats 14+16

Ditto
2011-06-04, 09:47 PM
Grung springs into his new form and breaks free from the uchuulon's grip, sloshing about in what he finds is more deep water.

The creature is clearly a bit confounded by this, being the first time in its experience that a half-orc has ever become a hydra when squeezed. It hasn't long to muse on this point, though, as Rangaistus lands three strikes with his axe. The monster wrenches violently at the final blow, and drifts lifeless into the depths in the center of the room from whence it came.

Map, for kicks. (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdG9XWWdzRkgtYm9MWEZNczFIQTZmY2c&output=html)
Yup, spotted it easy enough. I just dislike having to read the grapple rules if I'm not using it to crush my foes, y'know. :smalltongue:
Hydras have a swim speed, FYI, so if you'd like to paddle around to look for more floor this would be a fine time to do so.

Vladislav
2011-06-04, 09:52 PM
Taladar point out to everyone that the newly-arrived Hydra is in fact their ally Grung and shouldn't be attacked. He then approaches cautiously to the hag's body ... is she truly dead? If there are any interesting items on the corpse, he will use his wand of Detect Magic.

Firebeard
2011-06-06, 08:47 AM
"That's some good magic there. Not seen one like that since '03...or was it 04? This burk of a wizard turned Jaes into a wombat with 4 heads. Damn thing nearly tore my boot in half before someone stomped on it. Never did like Jaes. Now, let's see what that wench was carrying, shall we?" Whiskeyjack's mercenary tendencies pushed their way to the fore as he slowly made his way towards the figure his had downed with his shield. He shuffled slowly, trying to avoid stepping off into what he was sure would be his watery death.

Is there a way to the fallen figure that doesn't involve swimming? Happy to move at half speed to avoid the deep water that Rag nearly fell into.

GFawkes
2011-06-06, 06:29 PM
Grung pushes the chuul out of the water, then does some aquatic exploration while he still has the spell affecting him.

A question on how being a hydra works for the purposes of breathing: If one head remains above water, can it function as a snorkel for the others? If so, expand the search check to include below the surface.

Search Check:
[roll0]

The +2 is from being a hydra

Ditto
2011-06-06, 07:31 PM
After a minute or two of sloshing around the room, Grung is able to map the boundaries of the safe floorspace clearly - the ledge moves around the western perimeter of the room, with a 10 foot gap. Moving all the way into the room, he also sees there is a plain door in the corner near where the hag emerged (L2) in addition to a larger door to the North, set about 3 steps above the waterline (I-J). In probing beneath the water, he finds it goes down about 20 feet - and there is a hole in the floor of the room, 5 feet around, that leads off to the east.

Thorough map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdG9XWWdzRkgtYm9MWEZNczFIQTZmY2c&output=html)

The d's are the doors I mentioned.

The water isn't that deep, so your hydra-self need not worry about drowning, he has a swim speed. If he wants air, he pops back up and gets air. :smallsmile:

[roll0]

Firebeard
2011-06-06, 08:37 PM
Anything useful on the hag?

Vladislav
2011-06-06, 08:47 PM
Ah, seems like we can't cross without getting our feet wet... and it looks pretty deep, so maybe a lot more than feet. Grung, do you mind if we use your help for a moment?

If Grung accepts, Taladar crosses over the Hydra using it as a bridge, or, if that's too undignified, maybe the Hydra can just grapple him and carry him over; and encourages the others to do the same.

Ditto
2011-06-06, 08:56 PM
Scooting across some hydra necks or tail would be able to bridge the gap just fine.

Upon closer examination, the dead hag is definitely dead but bears no interesting baubles or trinkets.

Firebeard
2011-06-06, 09:02 PM
Whiskeyjack scrambled over the hydras back and onto the ledge beyond before checking out the hag.

"Nothing. Might be she keeps her loot behind that door we saw her come out by. Or maybe there's a treasure room below. Ones like this always got loot from people they've waylaid. An' loot's an adventurer's due...even hired ones. Maybe even especially hired ones."

Ditto
2011-06-06, 09:42 PM
((To be precise: The hag came up from the deep water. You didn't even notice the door in the north-east corner until you all moved farther into the room.))

Rathgar
2011-06-07, 09:32 AM
Rangaistus crossed the hydra drawbridge while it was still down, then proceeded to pull out his healing stick and heal everyone who was hurt. In other words, himself. "Well, there be no reason to dilly-dally here, but rather it be time for moving on."

Will use charges of my wand until I am at full health. I'm going to go ahead and roll the maximum possible number needed, just in case I need them. I'll only use the ones necessary to get there.

1st: [roll0]
2nd: [roll1]
3rd: [roll2]
4th: [roll3]

Vladislav
2011-06-08, 01:25 PM
As the hag's body proved disappointingly devoid of interest, Taladar finds something else to do while waiting for the Hydra to turn back. He approaches the dwarven Cleric, holding his rat familiar in outstretched hand.

Dear Whickeyjack, a question for you, if I may. Does this animal appear sick to you? Do you see anything wrong with it? Cursed, maybe? I know this may be a bad time to examine rats, but I fear there could be a problem with it. Do you see anything?

Oh, and by the by, Grung, the magic will expire in about ... oh, four more minutes. You may want to be outside the water by then.

Firebeard
2011-06-08, 01:32 PM
"Meh! I barely know enough about people-curses. Don't know rats at all. Still, lemme check." Whiskeyjack puts his head down next tot he rat and gives it a good look, and then a sniff. "Don't see much of anything, but I bet a dram of this'll help perk him right up." The dwarf reaches to his belt and pulls out the flask he was offering around earlier, pops the lid, and makes as if to pur a small amount into the rat's mouth.

heal check on the rat? [roll0]

Vladislav
2011-06-08, 01:58 PM
Well, if you think it'll help ... Taladar is apprehensive, but doesn't interfere with the attempt to pour booze down his familiar's throat.

You see, he continues, I got him in a special magic store down in Waterdeep. The owner, curse upon his lying tongue, promised it's a special familiar animal, very intelligent, and most important, helps his owner (that's me) resist body-affecting magics. Well, intelligent he may be, but when it was time to resist that hag's wretched influence, he wasn't of any help at all! Uh, I think he had enough to drink, thank you very much. Let's see if his beneficial aura will kick in next time we see something like this.

GFawkes
2011-06-08, 03:14 PM
I still like my idea of the snorkel head.

Now the power gamer in me must know: did I find anything valuable underwater?

And no, I would not be averse to functioning as a bridge. Just remember the spell has a time limit of 1 minute per caster level.

Ditto
2011-06-09, 02:35 PM
Whiskeyjack finds the rat to be in excellent health. (For a rat.) Smells of brandy.

The room isn't big enough for exploring it within the time limit of the spell to be a problem. There's nothing of note in the room you found underwater, besides that tunnel that you're too big to fit in. Oh, and a dead crustacean.

Let me know which way you'd like to proceed.

Firebeard
2011-06-09, 02:41 PM
"Bah! Ye just weren't ready for it. Y'see, that's one o' the reasons I carry this around." Whiskeyjack waved the flask in the air before taking a swig himself. "In the mercs, they call it 'whiskey goggles' and it makes scary things look a lot less scary. There's a reason that green recruits are usually half-blind with drink before the first big action. It makes 'em less likely to run until they can get used to the idea."

Looking up, he saw the hydra break the water after his explorations and shake a few of its heads in the negative. "Looks like our friend there found nothing. I guess it's time to move on through the doors ahead then."

Vladislav
2011-06-12, 10:51 AM
Taladar stores the slightly inebriated Marco back into the folds of his travel cloak, and is ready to move on.

Ditto
2011-06-12, 09:17 PM
In the waning moments of his Polymorph, Grung is able to lend his strength for forcing open the heavy door to the north, swollen rather shut with the humidity of this cavern. Ahead 30 feet, the group can see a heavy iron door set within a wide doorframe. Immediately through the door, up the stairs and leading right, there is another corridor heading off to the east.

Firebeard
2011-06-12, 09:32 PM
Does the passage turn to the right? Or is it an intersection with another tunnel?

Ditto
2011-06-13, 02:58 PM
A T-intersection. The one hallway goes straight ahead, and 5 feet past the door there is another hallway heading right.

Firebeard
2011-06-13, 03:12 PM
Moving up the tunnel behind the paladin and barbarian, Whiskeyjack sees the tunnel forking off to the right. "Looks like we gotta choose. Straight or right? Me, I always go right. Works out well in the end, and you can cover a lot of ground without doubling back that way. Course, there was that one place in the Larchfang hills where every right turn was a trap, but how often does that happen, eh?"

Rathgar
2011-06-14, 02:49 PM
"Right be a good choice, yes."

Vladislav
2011-06-14, 02:52 PM
Do we need to send a monkey forward to be squashed by any traps that may await? Taladar sounds almost giddy by the perspective.

Ditto
2011-06-14, 04:27 PM
Moving up to the intersection, you can see the passageway extends about 40 feet, then narrows slightly into a cylindrical tunnel that seems to be spinning slowly.

GFawkes
2011-06-14, 05:53 PM
"Grung no see traps, but Grung not best searcher." Grung says, peering around the corner.

Vladislav
2011-06-14, 07:28 PM
Tunnel that won't stay still? Most strange. This calls for .... monkey recon!!

Taladar summons a celestial monkey and sends it to run down the spinning tunnel.

Ditto
2011-06-14, 07:46 PM
The monkey bounds down the tunnel, crossing the distance to the tube and then skittering slightly unsteadily as it balances more carefully once inside. The tunnel is indeed rotating very slowly, and the monkey has trouble finding its footing once it starts to move in, apparently a bit slippery in addition to the movement. It winks out without further incident.

[roll0]

Firebeard
2011-06-14, 08:06 PM
Whiskeyjack barely contains a guffaw of laughter at the sight of the monkey slipping and sliding as it tries to keep its footing in the rotating cylinder. "Well, I ain't a rogue, but I somehow doubt they put that in for our amusement. Besides, I don't trust a floor that won't stay still. Be cautious."

Vladislav
2011-06-21, 12:33 AM
Taladar looks around as everyone seems to heed Whiskeyjack's advice to be cautious too well - to the point of paralysis... Well, the monkey made it; should we follow?

Rathgar
2011-06-21, 01:45 PM
"Alright, since none of you be brave enough to do it, I'll go first." The Paladin then started to walk down the cylindrical tunnel, trying his hardest to not fall over.

I'm thinking this is balance, but it may be Reflex. I'll just roll both. Rangaistus will be using his double-axe to help him balance, like the high wire walkers using one of those poles. Add a +2 circumstance bonus if you want to.

Balance: [roll0]
Reflex: [roll1]

Ditto
2011-06-21, 03:41 PM
Rangaistus can see the surfaces of the round tunnel ahead (which extends for 30 feet) seem to be coated with some glistening, wet substance. An open space beyond the spinning tunnel section is visible, but the passage seems to end there. By balancing carefully, he is able to move along at half speed without losing his footing.

[roll0]

Firebeard
2011-06-21, 03:47 PM
"I'll go last, after Taladar. No sense in leaving the mage the last one this side of the hall." He eyed the rotating cylinder warily, "'Sides, I ain't got much chance of walkin' cross that without falling down. I'm a dwarf, not a monkey."

Vladislav
2011-06-21, 10:13 PM
Taladar raises an eyebrow at the Dwarf. Really? I thought your people have a knack for staying on their feet. Does the low center of gravity not help? Anyhow ... he does his best to transfer his own lanky figure across the hallway.

Reflex [roll0]
Balance [roll1]

Firebeard
2011-06-22, 07:02 AM
"Aye, it helps when someone's tryin' to knock ya on your can, but not so much when the floor is tryin' to move out from under ya. And this doesn't help much either, " Whiskeyjack said, banging on his full plate armor.

Vladislav
2011-06-22, 07:59 AM
Interesting. Rangaistus before was using an axe in a way that seemed to help, but the armor seems to interfere. Taladar makes a mental note to explore the effects of various weapons and armors on human, elven, dwarven and orcish stability. He will of course need a large laboratory, with all manner of rotating and moving platforms... weapons and armor naturally... a variety of test subjects... very costly. Well, he could use the bounty from this quest. If they survive it.

Grung, are you coming?

GFawkes
2011-06-22, 10:02 PM
"Grung no like moving tunnel. Give Grung bad feeling. But others need Grung, so Grung come along." Grung says, talking for much longer than he usually does.

Firebeard
2011-06-26, 08:43 PM
Once the others had cleared the way, Whiskeyjack took a swig from the canister at his belt, firmly hooked his warhammer on his belt, grasped his shield tightly and ran for te rotating cylinders. He didn't expect to make it across upright. In fact, he meant not to. As he approached the rotating floor, he flung himself forward in a slide, hoping that his momentum and the substance coating the floors will help him clear the rotating section of tunnel.

Not even gonna try with a -4 modifier :smallwink:

Firebeard
2011-06-26, 08:44 PM
Once the others had cleared the way, Whiskeyjack took a swig from the canister at his belt, firmly hooked his warhammer on his belt, grasped his shield tightly and ran for te rotating cylinders. He didn't expect to make it across upright. In fact, he meant not to. As he approached the rotating floor, he flung himself forward in a slide, hoping that his momentum and the substance coating the floors will help him clear the rotating section of tunnel.

Not even gonna try with a -4 modifier :smallwink:

Ditto
2011-06-28, 10:01 AM
Taladar is unable to manuever carefully enough and slips as soon as he enters the tunnel, falling prone 5 feet in. Face first in the slickness, he is able to identify the substance as oil.

Rangaistus is making pretty okay progress sidling down the tunnel, when he hears a soft click from the wall just past the end of the tube. There is nothing for a moment... but then a flaming arrow shoots through a slit in that wall and zips past the paladin's head. A danger narrowly averted - except that the arrow ignites the oil in the tube.

Whiskeyjack said he was waiting for everyone else to get through, so I didn't bother attempting his slip'n'slide just yet. Grung didn't really take an action, so I left him in the hall.

Taladar and Rangaistus each take [roll0] burning oily fire damage.

Rathgar
2011-06-28, 11:13 AM
The Paladin was caught in the flames. "It be a trap!" Trying to escape the flames, Rangaistus tried to get out of the far side of the tunnel as fast as he reasonably could.

Two move actions to go down the tube, trying to make it to the other side.

Firebeard
2011-06-28, 01:15 PM
A trap? Now there's a surprise. thought the cleric as he watched the flames rise in the tunnel. He knew that there was little chance of his companions burning to death in that mundane fire, but he doubted they were going to be left alone either. After all, someone had fired that arrow.

Still going to try the slip and slide...only with fire this time

Casting Resist Energy Fire on self before attempting the cannonball run.

GFawkes
2011-06-29, 10:33 AM
"Grung rush!" Grung says, before darting through through the tunnel, trying to grab Taladar as he passed.

OK, so I'm effectively using a charge action to get through. By my count, I need a balance check and a *gasp* grapple check to grab Taladar.

Balance check (Do I get a bonus for having momentum?)
[roll0]

Grab
OK, let's see, I have a base modifier for grappling of +13. Taladar is prone, so that has a -4 penalty to his AC, which is flat-footed. So I need a 10 or higher to grab him. He weighs 140 lbs, so he's a light load for me.

[roll1]

Vladislav
2011-06-29, 11:19 AM
Well, that's a surprise, the liquid is a bit oily ... AAAAAARRRGGHHHH! It buuuuuurnsss!! Taladar screams, as he's carried away by the barbarian; he still keeps enough wits about him not to resist.

Ditto
2011-06-29, 11:57 AM
Rangaistus exits the tube successfully and finds a 10-by-10 space at the end. There is a covered slit in the wall straight ahead (east, the direction on the tube), and now he can see there is a closed door to the left leading north.

Grung successfully grabs hold of Taladar's robes, but between the flames and the oil he doesn't fare much better balancing than the wizard. They sommersault over one another and end up prone about 5 feet farther down the hallway.

The flames quickly consume the light layer of oil coating the length of the tunnel and burn out. The tube is still rotating slowly, but is now significantly less troublesome to negotiate.

Grung and Taladar take [roll0] more fire damage. Whiskeyjack can feel free to have not-casted that spell, since the fire is now gone. The oil is pretty much gone now, too, but you can feel free to belly flop instead of walking. (It won't get you very far.)

Firebeard
2011-06-29, 12:02 PM
Whiskeyjack halts at the point of completing his spell as he watches the fire die down. There is little point in using the spell now that he knew he wasn't walking into an inferno. Likely the oil is all burnt up too. Gonna have to do this the hard way. Sighing he called out "Best be keeping a watch for whoever fired that arrow" before clomping forward into the rotating tube.

Blast and bebother.

Ref: 1d20+3
Balance: [roll0]

Firebeard
2011-06-29, 12:08 PM
Rastafrattin dice roller typos *grumble grumble*
Ref: [roll0]

Vladislav
2011-06-29, 12:17 PM
Not even trying to get up after twice falling so unceremoniously, Taladar crawls the remaining few feet on his elbows and knees, just to get out of the blasted rotating corridor.

Crawling
You can crawl 5 feet as a move action.

Ditto
2011-06-29, 01:31 PM
Both traverse the tube without any trouble.

Firebeard
2011-06-30, 11:24 AM
Whiskeyjack managed - somehow - to keep his feet as he stumbled on the rotating floor. As he cleared the area, he breathed a sigh of relief, then reached down and hauled the elven wizard back to his feet. "Floors ain't supposed t' move out from under ya." he grumbled as he hefted his warhammer and made for the half-orcs.

Noting the arrow slit, he nodded to it hefted his warhammer and said "Do we smash down the wall, or try the door?"

GFawkes
2011-06-30, 02:03 PM
"Grung vote for smashing wall." Grung says hopefully, moving to the end of the tunnel.

Firebeard
2011-06-30, 03:44 PM
"Right, that settles it then. We go through the door." Whiskeyjack smiled to take the sting from his words, then turned to Ragnastius. "Be careful, lad, they know we're coming." he whispered.

Vladislav
2011-06-30, 03:49 PM
A little healing will be in order, lest I keel over and be unable to protect Marco from the horrors of this place. Taladar grumbles.

Firebeard
2011-06-30, 04:16 PM
"Sorry chum, I thought you had just banged yer knees up on the floor a bit. Try this and see if it helps." Whiskeyjack pulled a thin wand from a belt pouch and tapped Taladar on the arm. Wounds began to heal and the wizard immediately felt a rush of relief from his burns as the magic took hold. Turning to Grung he said "And how about yerself? Need any healing?"

How many charges of vigor to bring both of you up to full? It does 11 per tap

GFawkes
2011-06-30, 05:50 PM
"It nothing much. Grung just a little overcooked is all." Grung chuckles at his own humor.

Taladar and Grung lost 5 hp each, so that's one charge for both of us combined

Vladislav
2011-06-30, 10:48 PM
Actually 11 damage each, if I count correctly (posts 137 and 142).
Thanks, that hit the spot. Now, let's try and detect any magical traps ... the hard way or the easy way? Hmm, monkey didn't work well last time. Taladar takes a moment to decide between the two wands, finally settling on the Detect Magic one. He scans the door first, and then, as long as the charge lasts, the rest of the room at random.

Ditto
2011-07-01, 08:27 AM
6 for Rangaistus, 5 for Grung, 11 for Taladar.

Nothing of note registers in the little area you're in, nor from the door.

Firebeard
2011-07-04, 01:24 PM
Just to let you know, I will be out of town from July6-11. I will still be able to check the boards and post at least once per day.

At the moment Whiskeyjack is waiting for Ragnaistus to pop the door open. I used 3 charges of lesser vigor to top everyone up.

Rathgar
2011-07-04, 11:40 PM
Rangaistus walked up to the door, attempted to open it, then readied his weapon. Sorry, work has been busy for myself lately, being the lead-up to the 4th of July.

Vladislav
2011-07-04, 11:57 PM
Ahhh, thank you so much, that really hit the spot, Taladar said, as feeling returned to his burnt extermities. As the half-orc opened the door, he got himself ready to hurl fiery magic at anyone inside.

Readied action to Fiery Burst anyone hostile inside

GFawkes
2011-07-05, 12:19 AM
Two paths here:

Option 1: The door didn't open.

"Grung try now." Grung delcares, pushing his way to the front of the party. Swinging his axe at the door, he hopes to break through it. "Heeeeeeere's Grungy!"

I figure the door is pretty much an automatic hit. It's flatfooted and only has a natural AC modifier. For busting through it, if the hardness is less than 20, it's ignored.

Damage:
[roll0]

It's an inanimate object, so no crits. Also, I'm not trying to bust the whole thing down, just enough to fit my head in.

Option 2: The door did open

Grung readies his axe, prepared to chop at anything hostile on the other side.

Ditto
2011-07-06, 10:09 AM
The door opens easily, revealing a square room unlit save for a small, weak candle. Its light is just enough to illuminate the long table it sits on, straight ahead of the door way. There is another closed door visible at the opposite corner of the room.

Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdG9XWWdzRkgtYm9MWEZNczFIQTZmY2c&output=html) (Spinning tube is to the left/west.)

Vladislav
2011-07-06, 10:25 AM
Hmm, candle still burning. Either someone has been here not too long ago, or some shenanigans are afoot. Taladar uses another charge of Detect Magic to sweep the room; he stays outside the doorway and doesn't enter for now.

Rathgar
2011-07-06, 10:38 AM
Rangaistus turned to the elf and halfjokingly said "Or it be one of them everburning candles."

Firebeard
2011-07-06, 01:43 PM
Whiskeyjack grimaces at the humor. He was as much for banter as the next dwarf, but there was likely someone around out of sight. After all, some had shot that flaming arrow. He motioned with his hand for the half orcs to look around the corner...carefully.

Ditto
2011-07-06, 02:19 PM
After concentrating for a few moments, Taladar detects a strong illusion aura coming from beyond the other door. There's nothing in view in the room, though. Perfectly mundane candle.

Vladislav
2011-07-06, 02:28 PM
Hmm, everburning candle ... I could use one. But wait, no, it's just a regular candle. Strange ... something magical behind the door ... illusion - or is the door an illusion? And if the candle is real - someone must be nearby. Taladar whispers. He concentrates hard and attempts to convince himself the door isn't real.

Will to disbelieve, if applicable [roll0]

Ditto
2011-07-06, 04:36 PM
The door appears to be there. The illusion auras are decidedly *in* the next room.

GFawkes
2011-07-06, 04:52 PM
"Let Grung try something." Grung says, moving to just inside the room.

"GRUNG NO LIKE COWARDS! GRUNG WANT YOU TO FACE GRUNG LIKE MAN, NOT LIKE PATHETIC KOBOLD YOU ARE!" he shouts.

Dang, I wanted to break down the door:smallfrown:. Ah well, there's always the enemy's skull.

Intimidate check
[roll0]

Firebeard
2011-07-12, 07:36 AM
I am back in town now, so my posting rate should go up accordingly...but are we waiting on someone?

Vladislav
2011-07-12, 11:02 AM
I want to know what result Grung's bold action brings before I commit to a course of action

Ditto
2011-07-12, 03:13 PM
So sorry team, I thought we *were* waiting on someone's action. Looks like it was just me!

B[roll0]
B[roll1]
S[roll2]
S[roll3]

The group hears a husky, startled gasp from around to the right in the dark. An irritated female voice responds with an angry whisper

GFawkes
2011-07-12, 03:23 PM
By the looks of things, at least two creatures just crapped themselves. In a debate on another site, this was determined to be a free action.

Rathgar
2011-07-13, 08:10 AM
"I think there be voices coming from in there." The paladin walked into the room, activating his Detect Evil as he passed through the door.

Sorry, work's been crazy, with a new guy showing up, someone deciding not to show up to work, and whatnot. Otherwise I would've posted sooner. Also, derp for not using Detect Evil sooner here.

Ditto
2011-07-13, 08:01 PM
Whups, the server ate my last post. Stupid exciting new comic traffic.

So, Intimidate doesn't exactly work that way (influence attitude requires a minute of deliberate interaction, and demoralize requires you both see and Threaten your opponent), but I like it and it was clever so the balance of it is a) you know there are at least two beings just around the corner to the right, b) they don't get any surprise on you, and c) you spooked the male one a bit.

You may proceed according to the whims of initiative, which indicate thus:

Initiatives!
Rangaistus [roll2] - Moved into room, between darkvision & Detect Evil spots two folks in the southeast. I won't charge you an action for Detect Evil, so you may take a standard action if you like.
Grung [roll1]
Taladar [roll3]
Whiskeyjack [roll0]
Mr. B
Ms. S

Rangaistus moves past Grung to look at the room, and spots 2 figures in the corner, behind the wall with the arrow slit - an armored man with a bastard sword & shield, and a woman wearing a plain dress the color of blood behind him.
Map (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AmKW6Y4CyoitdG9XWWdzRkgtYm9MWEZNczFIQTZmY2c&output=html)

Rathgar
2011-07-15, 12:30 PM
Rangaistus
HP 57/57
Initiative 15
AC 24, Touch 15, Flat Footed 20

"Identify yourselves, and tell us who your master be! If you don't comply, you shall face the wrath of Oikeudenmukaisuus!" In the hopes that his shear force of personality scares them into divulging useful information, the paladin decided to hold off the bloodshed, if only for a few seconds. At the first sign of renewed aggression, however, he was entirely willing to chop them in half.

If they surrender:
Intimidate: [roll0] (in addition to the Aura of Awe subtracting 2 from their roll to resist)

If they show signs of renewed aggression:
Partial charge against "B"
Attack: [roll1]
Critical Confirmation (If Needed): [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Vladislav
2011-07-15, 12:36 PM
Rangaistus, be careful, remember of the illusion aura. Things may not be as they seem. Taladar can only hope these aren't illusionary decoys created to hide something much worse.

As there's no way for me to enter the room without blocking up the charge path, I'll delay until after Rangaistus either charges, or decides not to

Also, I will be on vacation for a week, starting tonight. There will be internet, and I'll do my best to check on my games and respond in a timely manner, but it might prove difficult at times.

Firebeard
2011-07-15, 12:43 PM
"Lad, they shot a flaming arrow into an oily trap while you were traversing it. I think they've made their intentions clear. Hit them over the head now and we can interrogate their corpses afterwards." Whiskeyjack shook his head at the paladin's naivete, hefted his hammer and shield and prepared to advance behind the leaders once the doorway was cleared.

Holding for the doorway to clear.

Ditto
2011-07-15, 01:14 PM
[roll1]
[roll0]

Mr. B is not having a good day. He officially soils himself at the mention of Ookidookidoo's wrath and is visibly shaken.

"For crying out loud, he's just an orc!" the female says disgustedly, and makes a few arcane gestures which then relay her opinion of Rangaistus - two magic missiles of force smack into him, dealing 8 damage.

GFawkes
2011-07-15, 05:26 PM
"NO HURT GRUNG FRIEND!" Grung screams with a primal fury, rushing at the woman and slicing with his axe

Moving to the sqaure above S and to the right of B

Damage: [roll1]

Firebeard
2011-07-15, 05:52 PM
As soon as the doorway clears, Whiskeyjack barrels through it with hammer raised. He cuts to the right and launches a heavy blow against the shaken opponent nearest him.

Move to NW corner above B and attack

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Vladislav
2011-07-15, 09:40 PM
Well, looks like they won't listen to reason. there's no point in delaying anymore, and Taladar enters the room and gives the would-be arsonists a taste of their own medicine.

move righ-up-up-right-right, ending up 2 squares above B, and Fiery Burst for [roll0], Ref 19 half.
What did we end up agreeing on Fiery Burst? Single target or 5' radius? If it's the former, just S, otherwise both S and B.

Rathgar
2011-07-16, 01:23 PM
Rangaistus
HP 49/57
Initiative 15

"Oof!" The Paladin, not entirely surprised, charged at the guy who was quivering. "Alright, you two asked for it!"

Charging B

Ditto
2011-07-16, 08:53 PM
Grung moves forward and strikes the woman; Taladar drops a burst of flame in the corner, catching both of them and the other man. Whiskeyjack doesn't connect with his hammer, nor Rangaistus his sword, as the armored man is perhaps a bit more able to defend himself than they expected.

He gathers his wits and swings at Rangaistus, hoping to reclaim some of his dignity through combat. He is unsuccessful, and whiffs wide right. The woman carefully traces another pattern in the air with her fingers, but cannot get off another spell while keeping her guard up against Grung.

Fiery Burst is a 5' radius, as written. That means it hits Grung as well, so he'll need a Ref save for the half damage. Watch that friendly fire! :smallbiggrin:

Rangaistus can't charge, since he's only 5 feet away. Moving up and attacking works just fine, but you don't hit Mr. B either way with those rolls.

B Ref save [roll0]
S ref save [roll1] Success, half damage.
S casting defensively [roll2] fail
Ranged touch attach [roll3]
Acid damage [roll4]

Ditto
2011-07-16, 08:56 PM
[roll0], [roll1], [roll2]

Firebeard
2011-07-16, 10:03 PM
Catching his hammer on the backswing, Whiskeyjack slams it back again at the "cowering" foe. Dodge me, will ya?

Full attack on B

attack [roll0]

attack [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

Firebeard
2011-07-16, 10:12 PM
Catching his hammer on the backswing, Whiskeyjack slams it back again at the "cowering" foe. Dodge me, will ya?

Full attack on B

attack [roll0]

attack [roll2]

GFawkes
2011-07-17, 01:54 AM
You had to say friendly fire, didn't you?
Reflex save (If not already covered by those three mystery rolls)
[roll0]

Infuriated by the continued fact that the people who attacked Grung's friends are still standing, he hacks at the mysterious woman more.

Full attack on Ms. S
Attack 1
[roll1]
[roll2]
Attack 2
[roll3]
[roll4]

Rathgar
2011-07-17, 02:49 PM
Rangaistus
HP 49/57
Initiative 15

Sorry, can't think of a clever way to write "I take a full attack action on Mr. B with my double axe". So...I'll take a full attack action on Mr. B with my double axe. But first, I'll take a 5-ft. step over to let the Dwarf get a better hit in.

First Attack With Left End: [roll3]

Edit: Really, dice? Three Nat 1's in a row on attack rolls?

Vladislav
2011-07-17, 06:00 PM
I was under the impression Grung was one square up... my bad
No area effects in such close combat. You need to be more careful. Taladar berates himself, as he nocks an arrow in his bow and prepares a more surgical approach.

Attacking the lady, if she yet stands, otherwise the man. If necessary, a 5' step to get a clear shot.

Attack [roll0] (includes -4 for firing into melee), damage [roll1]

Ditto
2011-07-17, 09:20 PM
Rangaistus, apparently overconfident from his initial success in startling the man, is unable to connect any blows against him. Whiskeyjack is likewise unable to stike him. Grung hits twice, and the woman crumples into the corner bleeding. Taladar draws his bow and adjusts his aim, finding a gap in the man's armor at the shoulder.

Increasingly desperate, he bellows in anger at his companion's fall and swings again at the paladin. He is again unable to penetrate Rangaistus' armor, though.
[roll0][roll1][roll2]

Firebeard
2011-07-17, 10:04 PM
Whiskeyjack pants as his blows go wide. Perhaps that last dram of whiskey was a bit much before combat. Besides, he was supposed to be a shield, not a hammer. Still, sometimes the best defense was a good offense. He screwed up his brow in concentration before launching a pair of blows at his opponent.

attack: [roll0]

attack: [roll2]

GFawkes
2011-07-18, 12:18 AM
Grung, happy with dropping the woman, quickly turns to hack at the man.

Since I dropped the woman, Cleave kicks in and I get an extra attack against the man. Since I don't know which attack dropped her, I'll just roll a d20 and add the bonus separately.
[roll0]
+14=27
+9=22
Damage
[roll1]

Full attack
Attack 1
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]
Attack 2
[roll4]
Damage
[roll5]

Rathgar
2011-07-18, 06:49 AM
Rangaistus
HP 49/57
Initiative 15

Alright, once more, with feeling.

First Attack With Left End: [roll3]

Edit: Dangit, another natural 1, and a one on the damage roll that has any chance of hitting. This just isn't my month...

Vladislav
2011-07-18, 11:39 AM
Note to self: armor is weak under the shoulder. Need to consider this when designing a better armor. Now, let's try again.
Attack [roll0], damage [roll1]

Ditto
2011-07-18, 05:02 PM
Grung's cleaving strike saves everybody the trouble of wailing on a corpse, as he precisely drops the man with his attack.

GFawkes
2011-07-18, 05:03 PM
But why can't we wail on the corpse?

Ditto
2011-07-18, 08:58 PM
I just said you don't *need* to any more. Hey, if you're into that, knock yourself out! Unless the paladin decides he wants to knock you out for mutilating perfectly good corpses. :smallbiggrin:

Firebeard
2011-07-18, 09:38 PM
Why? Is he hungry?

GFawkes
2011-07-18, 09:48 PM
I don't think so, but Taladar may need to eat.

Firebeard
2011-07-19, 07:37 AM
"Nice job Grung!" Whiskeyjack called out as he checked his swing. The body crumpling to the ground before him needed no more punishment. After verifying that there were no more immediate threats, Whiskeyjack began stripping the body of any valuable items.

GFawkes
2011-07-19, 09:47 AM
"Grung just do what Grung does best." he shrugs, joining Whiskeyjack in his search of the bodies.

Vladislav
2011-07-20, 11:17 PM
Indeed, this time the axe was mightier than the arrow. Or the ball of fire. Or the other axe. Well done, Grung.

Since there seem to be enough hands looting searching the bodies, Taladar takes a look around the room at large.taking 10 on Search for total of 16.

Ditto
2011-07-21, 01:07 PM
On their bodies and in the corner before the arrow slit, you find masterwork bastard sword, MW half-plate amor, a MW composite longbow, and exceptionally well-made heavy steel shield, a potion, a wand, and a magical ring.

Splayed open beneath the table, Taladar finds a small, beat-up book. It appears to deal with local history. There's also a half-spent candle still sputtering along.

GFawkes
2011-07-21, 01:39 PM
Are there any blaringly obvious symbols on the magic items that give a clue to their purpose?

Vladislav
2011-07-21, 08:46 PM
Hmm, interesting book, I'll review it later. Taladar never took the time to transcribe the Idenitfy spell into his books, but he can at least spend yet another charge of Detect Magic to examine the items, and maybe figure out the schools of magic involved.

Book (in case it's magical) [roll0]
Shield (in case it's magical) [roll1]
Bastard sword (in case it's magical) [roll2]
Half-plate (in case it's magical) [roll3]
Longbow (in case it's magical) [roll4]
Wand [roll5]
Potion [roll6]
Ring [roll7]

Ditto
2011-07-22, 10:31 AM
It is a +1 shield. All masterwork equipment is just masterwork. The book is mundane. The ring reads abjuration, and the wand is evocation. It's an arcane wand, and on your spell list, so feel free to try firing it off if you're curious! Give me a Spellcraft check to identify the potion. Whups, those are Spellcraft. The potion is for a Rage spell.

Firebeard
2011-07-22, 11:32 AM
"Nice shield for scum. Wonder who's throat he slit for that one? Is there another way out of here, or are we backtracking to the t-intersection?"

Vladislav
2011-07-22, 02:51 PM
It's a protective ring, and the wand is probably something that goes boom. I'll try it out when we're in a less confined space. And the potion is best used by one of our warriors, in case they need a little extra oomph. The shield is magical, but rather weak as magical shields go, does anyone want it?

Firebeard
2011-07-22, 05:19 PM
"Moradin blessed me with a shield a' his own. I ain't got use for another. What about you Rags? Can't exactly use one with that two-bladed monstrosity you got, but it might come in handy later."

Rathgar
2011-07-25, 11:43 AM
Rangaistus took the shield. "Well, it be of some value, so worst case scenario we sell it afterwards and donate the money to the orphanage."

Sorry for being so slack on updating, work is getting to be really annoying at this point...

Ditto
2011-07-27, 01:39 PM
Where to next, folks? Looking beyond the door with the illusion auras beyond, or back down the corridor to the other turning?

Ditto
2011-07-27, 01:45 PM
Where to next, folks? Looking beyond the door with the illusion auras beyond, or back down the corridor to the other turning?

Firebeard
2011-07-27, 02:24 PM
I am definitely in favor of looking beyond he door before we turn back. No sense in leaving anything undone behind us.

Vladislav
2011-07-27, 03:39 PM
Yes, orphanage, a good idea. So many ... subjects that need nurturing. Now, we may need a recon behind that door.

Unless anyone objects, Taladar summons another monkey, and sends him to open the door and advance as far as possible.

Ditto
2011-07-27, 06:00 PM
The monkey pops through the door and bounds into a lavishly decorated room. In stark contrast to the outer chamber, you see that this brightly lit room is exquisitely decorated. The floor is covered with fine woven rugs, and the ceiling bears an intricate mosaic depicting a summer sky dotted with fleecy clouds. Lush tapestries and shimmering curtains mask the walls, giving the room a warmth and comfort unlike the rest of the dungeon. In the corner opposite the door stands a large bed, lavishly covered with fine blankets and cushions. Beside the bed is a low table set with a buffet of cakes, nuts, and sweets. Across the room sits an oaken chest bound in brass.

The monkey hops onto the bedside table and sniffs at the food curiously before disappearing.

The room is roughly 20 by 20.
FYI, I am going on vacation Saturday to Saturday and will likely have no access to post.

Vladislav
2011-08-02, 12:05 PM
It is unlikely someone would prepare a welcome party for us. I smell a trap. Taladar scans the room with his other wand for traces of magic.

Firebeard
2011-08-02, 12:12 PM
"Can ye tell where the illusion is coming from? The one that ye said was strong in this room?"

Vladislav
2011-08-02, 12:21 PM
Spellcraft [roll0], if relevant

GFawkes
2011-08-02, 12:33 PM
"Grung love party! Especially ones with pinata." Grung says, getting distracted by his own thoughts.

Rathgar
2011-08-06, 01:18 PM
Rangaistus began to Detect Evil into the room, trying to see if he could pick anything up within the illusion.

And I thought work was crazy in the past, now I'm pulling even more overtime than I'd been pulling. At least for the next couple of weeks, don't wait up on me to say anything, I might be spending all of my time at home sleeping and whatnot. I'll post if I can.

Ditto
2011-08-08, 03:15 PM
There is no evil pinging in the room. It is FILLED with a moderate illusion aura. The only exception appears to be the oaken chest, which shows no illusion but reads as abjuration instead.

Very good, I'll assume Rangaistus hits something with a pointy stick should we not hear from you in a reasonable timeframe. :smallsmile:

Vladislav
2011-08-08, 03:20 PM
Taladar sighs and sends another monkey to open the chest. Logic dictates that if someone bothered to protect it, there is something worth to protect. Stand back...

Ditto
2011-08-08, 03:40 PM
The new shiny monkey skitters over and heaves himself against the lid of the chest. Once he cracks the lid, there is a flash and a rush of flame from within as the monkey is obliterated by a firey trap. The chest sits unharmed with its top ajar, nestled in a 5 foot radius suddenly sooty niceties. The edgesof the carpet and proximate wall hangings smolder ever-so-slightly.

Firebeard
2011-08-09, 08:19 AM
"Good thing ye brought yer trap monkey" Whiskeyjack said with a slight grin. He wasn't sure if the summoned creature actually got harmed, or was just banished back to the plane from which it came, but he did know that he was glad it wasn't him with a crispy beard.

Vladislav
2011-08-09, 08:34 AM
Taladar does a little fist-pump at the explosion. One monkey down!

Well, what are you waiting for, dig in!

Firebeard
2011-08-12, 12:35 PM
OOC:

So, are Vlad and I the only ones still here?

"No sense in wasting time," Whiskeyjack rumbled as he moved forward to carefully inspect the opened - and partly incinerated - chest. "Wonder if anything survived that bit o' fire?"

Ditto
2011-08-12, 12:56 PM
Nobody wants to wander into the pretty room for some reason, I guess? The room's feelings are hurt. S'not that long ago everyone was around.
[roll0]

Stepping into the room, it is immediately apparent to Whiskeyjack that the trappings of the sumptuous room are almost entirely fabricated. The dwarf's feet scuff along a rough stone floor instead of carpet, and he sees the transparent overlays of illusion blanketing a rather bare chamber. The table has a tin plate with jerky on it; the bed is a mere slab with a straw mat. The singed draperies aren't there at all, and there isn't really any evidence of the fireball's passing since there's nothing around to burn.

Gingerly lifting the lid of the unscathed chest, which is the only thing in the room truly as it appears, Whiskeyjack finds several jars, a few small gemstones, and a silver necklace.

Firebeard
2011-08-12, 01:00 PM
I suppose I didn't make it clear. Whiskeyjack went into the room to inspect the chest and ... free any items that might have been unjustly held there.

Ditto
2011-08-12, 01:05 PM
I gotcha, just had to check against the illusion first. :smallsmile: Edited in the results.

Firebeard
2011-08-12, 01:26 PM
"Oi! This whole room is the illusion. About the only real thing here is this chest. But it's got a few trinkets in it that might prove useful. The gems're all right, and this necklace. What about these, Taladar? Think they might be useful?" He held out the jars to the mage.

Vladislav
2011-08-12, 01:31 PM
Taladar furrows his brow. Illusion? Looks real to me... Will [roll0]
Now, about the trinkets, let me see ... he waves a wand, and another monkey appears and sniffs the items handed by Whiskeyjack Hey! Back off! Bad monkey! Sorry, wrong wand. Now, let's see...
Use Detect Magic. Spellcraft rolls, as many as needed, [roll1] (+16 each)

GFawkes
2011-08-12, 04:29 PM
I'm still here. Just been busy lately.

Grung cautiously enters the room, ready for more flame bursts to come at any moment.

Will Save vs. Illusion
[roll0]

Rathgar
2011-08-14, 12:30 PM
Rangaistus poked the bed to see if it was amongst the many illusory things supposedly within the room. "Why would someone want an illusory bed? They be no good for sleeping. The rest, I can understand."

Will to Disbelieve: [roll0]

Dang, these 60 hour work weeks are starting to get to me. At least the paychecks are nice...

Ditto
2011-08-15, 09:41 PM
Despite having been given the evidence by Whiskeyjack, the rest of the trio following him in still had trouble believing their eyes were misleading them. They saw the same illusory shadow of transparent grandeur, almost as if their minds were daring them to believe it really was there though they could see through it.

The monkey bounds over to the tin plate of rations like his predecessor and jaws at the bits there before disappearing.

The wand is unable to share any new information on the room or its contents with Taladar, but his knowledge of magic leads him to believe the oils and unguents in these jars are elements in some sort of magical ritual. He's not really able to sort it out without more context clues, though.

Vladislav
2011-08-16, 02:05 PM
This room has an adverse effect on our dwarven friend, Taladar thought, what is that illusion he's going on about? We should leave before we're all affected.

There seems nothing more to investigate here. Should we go back and take the other branch?

Rathgar
2011-08-22, 06:09 AM
"Yes, that be a good plan."

Ditto
2011-08-22, 09:28 AM
Moving back out through the anteroom and down the rolling tunnel, you return to the T intersection - watery room to your left, and a heavy metal door to your right.

Firebeard
2011-08-22, 09:43 AM
Whiskeyjack, still grumbling about blind elves who can't see what's right in front of their pointy-eared faces walks up tot eh door and yanks on the handle. "Let's get this over with."

Ditto
2011-08-22, 04:46 PM
The weighty door opens away from you, and is quite snugly shut. Its edge is flanged to reinforce it against being pushed open toward you.

Strength check from somebody to open this fellow, please.

GFawkes
2011-08-22, 05:05 PM
"Let Grung try. Door no seem like big problem to Grung." Grung says, moving to the front and pulling the door as hard as he can.

Strength check
[roll0]
Scratch that, take 10

Rathgar
2011-08-22, 06:15 PM
"There be no reason for you to do all the grunt work. Here, I be helping you out on this one." Rangaistus then walked up to the door and began to help force it open.

Aid Another (Strenght): [roll0]

Ditto
2011-08-22, 06:20 PM
Grung finds he is unsuccessful in shoving the door open, but after a minute or two of concerted effort with Rangaistus he is able to push the door open. He finds... another heavy iron door. Setting-to it again, Grung is able to force the edge of this door back as well after a considerable amount of shoulderbashing.

Not to belabor the point of these mighty doors... we'll assume Grung takes 20 on them soon enough, eh? They're a DC 21 check to open, just so you get an idea of how very heavy and closed these flanged doors are. We'll go ahead and scoot you to the entry of the next area up ahead...

Moving foward past the doors, the group sees a faint shimmering from the open chamber ahead. This area is uncomfortably hot. Though the relatively narrow passage seems to open out into a weird, wide cavern filled with flickering light, the corridor actually continues about 30 feet more before opening out into some kind of dome. Its walls and ceiling are not formed of stone; they appear to be made of luminous water that arches upward and meets overhead. The hazy images visible through these watery walls suggest that the 'floor' of this area is actually a ledge in the middle of a gigantic, water-filled cave. Perhaps these strange water-walls are all that prevents the water from pouring in to flood the dungeon beyond.

Vladislav
2011-08-24, 09:58 PM
Powerful magic in action, so it seems. Taladar rubs his chin and tries to remember something from the lesson on Walls of Force. Or was it Force Walls?

Spellcraft [roll0] to identify the active spell (if any).

This calls for a recon. Let's see whether the heat ahead is survivable.

He sends the usual monkey forward, and, should nothing happen to it, will suggest the group keeps moving.

Firebeard
2011-08-25, 07:44 AM
Whiskeyjack is very nervous about entering yet another water-filled cavern. not too difficult to understand, given that he is wearing some of the heaviest armor imaginable. Still, he volunteered for this job in the expectation of being well paid, and he trusted Moradin to not let him drown in here.

"Didn't that note say we had to fight in the boiling bubble to get to Wave? I'd say this qualifies. Be on yer guard."

Ditto
2011-08-25, 09:12 AM
The monkey shoots forward into the center of the bubble area. Reaching the end of its movement, it sits up straight and looks forward attentively - then shrieks in alarm at some hazard it has detected. It pops out of existence.

The far end of the cavern floor seems to dip down slightly, and you get a sense that there might be a lower shelf on the far end of the bubble. You can't quite see what might be there at this distance, though. The monkey seems to have aroused something down that way though...

[roll0]
[roll1]

GFawkes
2011-08-25, 12:26 PM
"Grung has feeling that fight is imminent." Grung says, tightening the grip on his axe.

Vladislav
2011-08-25, 12:59 PM
Taladar is a bit embarrassed after forgetting the note, but once reminded of it, digs in his spell component pouch frantically. Yes, we should start the fight without delay. I'd even say, with haste.

Cast Haste on everyone once we're ready to enter the cavern

Rathgar
2011-08-25, 11:39 PM
Rangaistus
Initiative: [roll0]
Armor Class 24, Flat-Footed 20, Touch 14
Position: ???

After being hastened by the pointy-eared one, the more proper of the half-orcs walked cautiously forward. "Yes, there be trouble brewing." Rangaistus drew his bow and readied an arrow, not wanting to fall into the deep end a second time. "Sorry for that pun..."

Readying and action to shoot whatever bubbles up.
Attack: [roll1]
Critical Confirmation: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Ditto
2011-08-26, 12:59 PM
Taladar is not able to identify a specific spell effect, but it is clearly a magical barrier that is keeping the boiling hot water at bay - similar to a wall of water spell. Putting your hand near the barrier and prodding at it shows that it is physical and resilient, sort of rubbery, though not too thick.

I'll get more details of what's about to pop up in the room and a map posted over the weekend.

Nitpick, but you can't ready an action until Combat has actually begun. It could be a kindly cabbage salesman! You might want to see before you act! You never know! I'll take that to be your first action in combat, though.

Also, you apologize for the pun IC but not the OOC one? Shame on you! :smalltongue:

Ditto
2011-08-31, 10:14 PM
Hey team- I totally welsched on my advertised posting-of-action from last weekend. And now I'm going to be out of town through Labor Day. I just wanted to pop in and at least verify I'm not dead and hope y'all are hanging on until I return and pick up the movement again. Apologies for my slacker DMing.

Vladislav
2011-09-26, 09:27 AM
Hi, is this still alive?

Firebeard
2011-09-26, 09:48 AM
Been almost a month since the DM posted...I'm guessing not.