PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Army of Me Sorc Build

Thurbane
2011-05-10, 07:17 PM
Hey all,

Looking for suggestions on a theoretical build I’ve been working on.

Chassis is a Human Sorcerer 12 – the aim is to be a “one man army”, using cohorts, a familiar, Summoning spells, charms and Animate Dead. Feats I’ve got so far include Wild Cohort, Extend Spell, Improved Familiar and Dragon Cohort (this leaves two slots open). For spells, so far I’ve locked in Charm Monster, Animate Dead and Summon Monster (various).

The only things specifically off the table are Leadership and Undead Leadership. I’d like to stick with Sorcerer as the base, and no dips that will eat into caster level. Also, usual list of exclusions (no homebrew, Dragon Mag, psionics, ToB or MoI), and preferrably as little Eberron or FR specific material as possible.

So, any recommendations? P.S. In all likelihood I will be the DM, so "ask your DM to houserule XYZ" suggestions aren't strictly neccessary.

Cheers - T

Divide by Zero
2011-05-10, 07:20 PM
The planar binding line is always a great option if you have the prep time to use it.

tiercel
2011-05-10, 08:02 PM
Don't ignore the possibility of constructs: golems (via golem manuals as necessary), homonculus, shield guardian, etc. even just animate objects (esp when you can "prep the battlefield" with gigantic tapestries, stone statues, floor-to-vaulted-ceiling-metal scaffolding -- if you can't cast it yourself/can't be bothered locking in one of your spells known, use charm monster on one or more ravids).

Along similar lines, magic items that generate allies (e.g. figurines of wondrous power, bag of tricks) would fit the bill, though if this is a BBEG you should be comfortable with the PCs looting and then constantly using such items against future foes.

Cog
2011-05-10, 08:37 PM
The Mentor feat from DMG 2 gives you a cohort as well.

Toliudar
2011-05-10, 09:12 PM
If you're already taking summon spells, the Summon Elemental feat is ridiculously multi-purpose.

Eldariel
2011-05-10, 09:18 PM
Good ways to generate long-term servants:
- Animate Dead (Animate Dread Warrior from Unapproachable East is broadly superior)
- Planar Binding-line
- Dominate-line (long durations, Sorcs have naturally high Cha; the works - Dominate Person is level 5)
- Command Undead (level 2, long duration, no-brainer)

Animate Object could be acquired with some manner of Extra Spell/Arcane Disciple; by default it's only a Bard/Cleric-spell for whatever reason. Simulacrum is unfortunately too high leveled. Various illusionary servants do work though but they don't have much combat use (e.g. Unseen Servant, Phantom Steed).

For combat servants, obvious Summon Monster-line aside, Summon Undead [Spell Compendium] can be particularly nasty with maximized summons of lower level options since they include things that remain dangerous like Shadows, Allips and company. Getting 3 Allips (Maximized Summon Undead V; the line caps out on level 5 for whatever reason) off one spell can really wreak some havoc, for example, if the enemies are dealing with other adversaries too. Giant Vermin [PHB] is also a hilarious way of generating truly nasty underlings but unfortunately requires highish CL and naturally only appears on Cleric- and Druid-lists.

JeminiZero
2011-05-10, 09:44 PM
For class splashes, Mindbender 1 is always nice for the telepathy, and opens up the powerful mindsight feat. Also Arcane Preparation+Cooperative Spell can open up Mage of the Arcane Order to allow access to miscellaneous utility spells.

And of course Versatile Spellcaster is always nice for a Sorc.

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is to find a way to accelerate summoning spells from 1 round to either 1 full round or 1 standard. Maybe take the Rapid Spell feat [CDiv].

Thurbane
2011-05-10, 10:22 PM
All excellent advice so far, thanks! :smallsmile:

Question about Wild Cohort - a Druid/Rangers AC has rules about how to summon a replcement if it's killed. Does WC have a similar option, or once it's gone, is that it? Seems like a waste of a feat if that's the case...