PDA

View Full Version : Quest Type Advice

Alton_Utrich
2011-05-10, 07:52 PM
I'm going to be running a 4e game over the summer and I have just about everything planned out except one thing, what sort of quest the players will be on. I'm trying out a sandbox style, constructing a town, giving the PC's a goal, setting them loose and seeing what happens. The town is mostly constructed, but I am still short a quest goal, although I've narrowed it down to three.

Assassination: The PC's are hired to kill someone in the town and bring back his head as proof.

Theft: Someone covets a rare painting being kept in the town and the PC's are being sent to steal it.

Rescue: The PC's must rescue the daughter of a rich merchant before she is killed in a ritual

I really like the idea of a rescue mission, but the only problem I have with that is that it imposes a deadline on the PC's to rescue her and I'm trying to keep this as open-ended as possible.

Suggestions?

Don Blake
2011-05-10, 08:05 PM
Well, you could take out the ritual bit. Have the kidnappers have taken her to exert ongoing pressure on her father (Drop these contracts, and your daughter keeps her molars for another week), she could have staged her own kidnapping to get away from her father for any number of reasons, with the bonus of a nice ransom to get her set up somewhere else if he pays, etcetera.

That or the ritual, while unpleasant, isn't fatal and is repeatable, and it needs to be that girl specifically for whatever reason. Everytime they jab her with a stick, it summons demons or some such. Encourage the players to hurry it up after a while, without, "Nope, too late, you lost,"