PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting character discussion. Ultimate Magus. Suggestions welcome.

Forb
2011-05-10, 08:57 PM
The character concept involves a naturally powered Sorceress who is obsessed with Magic. To the point of taking up Wizardry (and seeking Divine power as well).

The build I have so far is as follows:
Sorcerer 1
Wizard 4
Ultimate Magus 10
Favored Soul 1
Mystic Theurge 4

I might change Favored Soul to Cleric, and MT to another Arcane/Divine PrC.

I will be using the Practiced Spellcaster feat to advance my Wizard casting as much as possible. This will not be played as a blaster at all, all utility and mischief.

Is the dip into a third spellcasting class worth it? Will I get anything decent, or should I find something to advance my Wizard casting?

As said in the title, all suggestions welcome. I'm very excited to finish off this character and see it in play.

Thurbane
2011-05-10, 09:05 PM
Instead of dipping FS and going MT, you could take two binding feats (ToM) and launch straight into Anima Mage. It's full arcane progression, and will get you one level of Binding per level.

With early entry tricks, you might be able to cut down those Wizard levels, too, and squeeze in more Anima Mage.

Hyfigh
2011-05-10, 09:07 PM
First - you don't qualify for Ultimate Magus or MT given your build without cheese.

Second - Is the third caster worth it? No. You're no where near a triple threat...

erikun
2011-05-10, 09:26 PM
Not really worth it. Favored Soul 5 is 2nd level spells. Cleric is 3rd level. What 3rd level spells will you be casting at level 20? DMM Persist Aid? It's certainly not the worst possible option - you still have 17/20 Wizard progression if you pick up Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer) and the divine caster early entry trickery - but it isn't giving you that much. I'm sure you could easily get into Archmage or Loremaster for the last 5 levels if you are going to a specific super-multi-caster theme.

I happen to like Wizard/Bard for my Ultimate Magus.

Forb
2011-05-11, 04:54 AM
Instead of dipping FS and going MT, you could take two binding feats (ToM) and launch straight into Anima Mage. It's full arcane progression, and will get you one level of Binding per level.

With early entry tricks, you might be able to cut down those Wizard levels, too, and squeeze in more Anima Mage.

First - you don't qualify for Ultimate Magus or MT given your build without cheese.

I'm a little bit confused here. I can't seem to find the error.
How can I go about fixing this? I have no idea of the best ways to progress.

This is probably why I don't usually play with the full casting classes.

Douglas
2011-05-11, 07:20 AM
I'm a little bit confused here. I can't seem to find the error.
How can I go about fixing this? I have no idea of the best ways to progress.

This is probably why I don't usually play with the full casting classes.
He's wrong about Ultimate Magus, Sor 1/Wiz 4 qualifies easily. What you're not qualifying for is Mystic Theurge, which requires the ability to cast level 2 divine spells. Favored Souls don't get that until level 4.

Ruinix
2011-05-11, 09:39 AM
I ask for help to make a build lev 13 for a "batman" wizard wich take the prc UM.

here is the thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194256
check my last post link.

Hyfigh
2011-05-11, 09:40 AM
Yea, my bad on UM qualifications. I was going off of (poor) memory. It was only MT that was unqualified without early entry.