PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Crafting Cost?

Dralnu
2011-05-11, 01:38 AM
The campaign that I'm running doesn't use the XP system. Instead, the PCs level up at the end of each ~10 hour session. One of my players is interested in taking the Blood Magus PrC and wants to Scribe Scrolls / Brew Potions / Craft Wondrous Items.

How can I fairly let him use these feats without any XP system?

Geigan
2011-05-11, 01:41 AM
Crafting points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/craftPoints.htm)

Dralnu
2011-05-11, 01:47 AM
Interesting, but that system still has XP costs.

Shpadoinkle
2011-05-11, 01:50 AM
Well, the first thing that came to mind is "start using the XP system as written." I was hesitant to do this myself at first, but I've found there are few if any problems if you do it that way. But that's not what you want to hear, is it?

Barring that... How about this: When you level up, you gain a number of reserve points (similar to an artificer's) you can use instead of XP for crafting items, equal to the level you've just gained *100 (so upon reaching level 2 you gain 200, at level 3 you get 300, etc.)

You can raise the number if you want, but I would advise against making it more than maybe *250.

Geigan
2011-05-11, 01:50 AM
Perhaps rule that each point = 1 XP?
Maybe 2 if you want to be generous, maybe more.

Bhaakon
2011-05-11, 01:55 AM
The simplest way would be to simply increase the monetary cost of crafting. Even if you were using normal XP, he'd never fall far behind because he'd start getting more XP per encounter than the rest of the party, so it's not as unbalancing as it might seem. You could also just give him a set number of scrolls, potions, and items he could craft per level up.

Or you could got the 2e route, and charge him a permanent point of con for each item.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-11, 01:58 AM
What's wrong with having something actually cost something? You're already getting the item for half price gold wise and it's not like in the AD&D days where it could lose you a point of Constitution.
And we walked uphill to our dungeons both ways to slay a dragon for a copper piece, which was taxed. And we liked it.

Cruiser1
2011-05-11, 08:43 AM
Why not just go the Pathfinder route, and say that crafting items doesn't cost XP at all? Crafting still costs money, time (that could have been spent adventuring and gaining loot/XP), and feats (that could have been spent making your character more powerful).

Kylarra
2011-05-11, 08:47 AM
Yeah the time/money/opportunity cost is a fairly decent thing. As long as he's overall helping the party and not just crafting shinies for himself, it should be fine.