PDA

View Full Version : Mechanist 3.5 Class PEACH

Tormented
2011-05-11, 04:42 AM
forgive my newbness... i don't know how to use the tables i've been seeing.
Mechanist
The mechanist is always attempting perfection of her body, mind, and spirit through mental capacity. Aside from the capability to manifest powers she is also a master craftsman of her own tools.
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz181/JoleNauseRhoj/MechanistTable.jpg?t=1305106571
Abilities: Intelligence determines how powerful a power a mechanist can manifest and how hard those powers are to resist. Wisdom and Intelligence are important for many of the mechanist's skills. Dexterity provides a mechanist with better defense. Strength and Dexterity help with a mechanist's combat ability depending on what weapon she uses.
Alignment: Any
HD: d6
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level) (x4 at 1st level): Autohypnosis(Wis), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Psionics) (Int), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Use Psionic Device (Cha).
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mechanists are proficient light armor, but not shields (see Armor Adherence) She is not proficient with any weapons except her mechanical weapons (see Weapon of Choice). At 8th level, a mechanist gains proficiency with medium armor and at 16th level a mechanist gains proficiency with heavy armor.
Power Points/Day: A mechanist’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points she has available. Her base daily allotment of power points is given on the table above. In addition, she receives bonus power points per day if she has a high Intelligence score. Her race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items.
Powers Known: A mechanist begins play knowing one mechanist power of your choice. At every even-numbered class level after 1st, she unlocks the knowledge of new powers.
Choose the powers known from the psionic power list. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a mechanist to learn powers from the lists of other classes.) A mechanist can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than her manifester level.
The total number of powers a mechanist can manifest in a day is limited only by her daily power points.
A mechanist simply knows her powers; they are ingrained in her mind. She does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though she must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain all her spent power points.
The Difficulty Class for saving throws against mechanist powers is 10 + the power’s level + the mechanist’s Intelligence modifier.
Maximum Power Level Known: A mechanist begins play with the ability to learn 1st-level powers. As she attains higher levels, she may gain the ability to master more complex powers.
To learn or manifest a power, a mechanist must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the power's level.
Armor Adherence: The mechanist's nature allows them to fuse non-magical armor into their body and it acts as a natural armor bonus. At 1st level an mechanist may adhere light armor to their body, medium armor at 8th level, and heavy armor at 16th level. Since the physical suit of armor becomes fused with the mechanist as natural armor she does not suffer an armor check penalty, maximum dexterity bonus, or speed reduction.
Weapon of Choice: The mechanist may craft a masterwork weapon of her choice and is proficient with that weapon upon it's creation. This is a psionic weapon that only the mechanist is proficient in using unless the wielder succeeds at a Use Psionic Device check DC(20 + mechanist level). At 1st level she can craft a light weapon. At 5th level she can craft a one handed weapon. At 10th level she can craft a two handed weapon. At 15th level she can craft a large weapon for her size. At 20th level she can craft a huge weapon for her size.
At each opportunity to create a new weapon of choice the mechanist may opt to create a weapon of lower size category or add an enchantment bonus appropriate to level to an existing weapon of choice (on the table below). A mechanist that wants to wield two weapons still incurs the same penalties as normal.
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz181/JoleNauseRhoj/WeaponofChoiceTable.jpg?t=1305106688
A mechanist's weapon may be enchanted and a mechanist with the Craft Psionic Arms and Armor feat may enchant their own weapons or craft weapons to use that they are proficient with. A mechanist may use Craft(Weaponsmithing) DC 20 to craft a weapon she is proficient with. If a weapon of choice is destroyed the mechanist must expend their psionic focus to repair it as standard action. A mechanist's weapon of choice has the same hardness and hit points of a weapon of its type.
Bonus Feat: At 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level, a mechanist gains a bonus feat. At each such opportunity, the she can choose a psionic, metapsionic, or an item creation feat. The mechanist must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including manifester level minimums.
These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets every three levels.

Dryad
2011-05-12, 03:56 AM
Ehm...
No offense, but... I just see a psion who can make inferior weapons, and grafts armour to her skin.

What makes this a 'mechanist?' What ís a mechanist?

I'm really sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you're going to make a class, you should first get a good, solid picture of what you want that class to represent, and then write a description of that picture which we all understand.
What you then do is create a class that fits that description.

Welknair
2011-05-12, 09:02 AM
Right. The fluff prior to the crunch is all important for cementing exactly what this character is and how they fit into the world. Also, what kind of chart is that? It's usually a good idea to use the table formatting built into these forums. It's far easier to edit than a photobucket image. To find the formatting, simply quote any post that contains a table. Copy paste the code in the quote into the post that you're making. Pretty easy to figure out from there.

Tormented
2011-05-12, 08:10 PM
Thanks Welknair about the tables! The fluff is about a character that can practically graph armor and powers that affect only themselves to themselves. I worked on it a little more before I saw replies. I'll upload the changes when I get the chance.

tzaan
2011-05-12, 08:27 PM
a character that can practically graph armor and powers that affect only themselves to themselves

...so a Warforged Psionic Artificer variant without the warforged psionic artificer bit

Ok. Seems straightforward....but, well, it's kinda been done before. That's fine and all but, well, yeah. hmm