PDA

View Full Version : How would I build a ghost ship?

DR/Good&Wizard
2011-05-11, 08:31 AM
So my DM is currently running a seabound campaign and we have a large amount of money stored from adventures. Because of this we have been allowed to command our own ships, I thought it would be cool to have a ghost ship or a ship of the damned but my character is a warlock so he cant summon undead or anything like that. How would I get a ship of the damned without special GM permission?

Yora
2011-05-11, 08:38 AM
I'd say get the DMs permission. Because without it, he will take it away right the moment you get it.

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-11, 08:39 AM
Technically, Warlocks do have an invocation called "The Dead Walk", which works almost exactly like Animate Dead. Skeletons might not even be that terrible as sailors...

Edit: I agree, you always need DM permission, but I think he meant something more like "not having to rely on DM fiat".

DR/Good&Wizard
2011-05-11, 02:26 PM
The dead walk only lasts for a minute per caster level and the GM said that if I found a way to do it in the rules then I could do it.

although the dead walk thing could work kind of, its just how many crew I have would be based on how much of my day I have to spend on re-reanimating the guys that fall apart. Is there a magic Item that could allow me to animate dead other than golems.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-11, 02:34 PM
The dead walk only lasts for a minute per caster level and the GM said that if I found a way to do it in the rules then I could do it.

If you include the material component, it's permanent.

Eldan
2011-05-11, 04:33 PM
Well, either you get some item crafting feats (which warlocks should anyway, they can emulate any spell), or you buy some items, is what I'd say.

Spell Compendium has a spell that's called Submerge Ship, or something like that. Has a large picture of a ship under water next to it. It allows your ship to sail under water, which is a nice thematic fit too.

Canarr
2011-05-11, 05:19 PM
If you're allowed to use Mongoose's Encyclopedia Arcane: Necromancy, that has Raise Death Hulk; a Sor/Wiz spell lvl 7 that allows you to raise an entire ship from the bottom of the sea, complete with undead crew. That might be what you're looking for.

Duration is instantaneous, but range is only long, so the sea shouldn't be miles deep where you cast it. Costs you 1,000 XP and the corpse of a sea captain, but is otherwise free for the casting.

Mayhem
2011-05-12, 01:18 AM
"I run a tight ship; I employ only a skeleton crew."

Bad puns aside, I have nothing constructive to add.

If you're allowed to use Mongoose's Encyclopedia Arcane: Necromancy, that has Raise Death Hulk; a Sor/Wiz spell lvl 7 that allows you to raise an entire ship from the bottom of the sea, complete with undead crew. That might be what you're looking for.

Duration is instantaneous, but range is only long, so the sea shouldn't be miles deep where you cast it. Costs you 1,000 XP and the corpse of a sea captain, but is otherwise free for the casting.
Getting someone else to cast this for you will cost you a minimum of 5910gp + a sea captain's corpse, assuming you can find a 13th level+ wizard willing to sell his services. Freakin' sweet deal actually, considering the price of regular ships.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-12, 01:24 AM
After you've got the ship yourself, you can Permancy Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights and [I]Solid Fog/Stinking Cloud/I] and a number of myriad other effects that either add flavor or make the ship just daunting in general.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-12, 01:27 AM
Animate Object: Colossal, then make it permanent for a self-sailing ship. Garnish with corpses to taste.

Asheram
2011-05-12, 02:11 AM
Well, either you get some item crafting feats (which warlocks should anyway, they can emulate any spell), or you buy some items, is what I'd say.

Spell Compendium has a spell that's called Submerge Ship, or something like that. Has a large picture of a ship under water next to it. It allows your ship to sail under water, which is a nice thematic fit too.

This.. now you add the Planar Helm from stormwrack to get the whole thing ethereal.
An Eversmoking bottle at the bow in order to simulate mist or a permanent Solid Fog around the ship. (Also check if you could use the Fog Veil enchantment on the hull of the ship. (Stronghold builders guidebook) it's cheaper)

For extra, you can get the Cloud Keel from Arms and equipment guide in order to make the whole ship fly.
Wind favored sails would make the ship really fast, and Fharlanghns lines could make you cut the operational crew with A Lot.

Eloel
2011-05-12, 03:26 AM
Do not summon a Kraken. Don't. Really.

only1doug
2011-05-12, 04:55 AM

although the dead walk thing could work kind of, its just how many crew I have would be based on how much of my day I have to spend on re-reanimating the guys that fall apart. Is there a magic Item that could allow me to animate dead other than golems.

If you include the material component, it's permanent.

This. Use Black Onyx and the undead stay Undead.

If you are playing a warlock who wants to crew a ship with undead I recommend that you read The SilverClawShift Campaign Archives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836).
(Post 7 spoiler 2: undead Mounts)

If you aren't a playing a warlock I still recommend reading them, they are great.

CTrees
2011-05-12, 06:42 AM
Animate Object: Colossal, then make it permanent for a self-sailing ship. Garnish with corpses to taste.

This is what I was going to suggest. Seems simplest, really. Also, by making the ship itself a creature... couldn't you pull some tricks like casting Haste on it? Or, hell, Overland Flight?

Raise Death Hulk is pretty awesome, though.

Also, if I'm honest, my first thought on seeing the title was "put the Ghost template on a ship," but that doesn't really help anyone :smallbiggrin:

Undercroft
2011-05-12, 09:59 AM
You may need to throw an Awaken Undead (i think that's the spell) on skeletons you use too, since they are normally mindless. Giving them an int score means skills (like Profession: Sailor) and means they can at least think for themselves on how to keep the ship running. I think you may need to put a level of some sort (maybe swashbuckler or rogue) to up the HD to actually allow skills as i can't remember if they can be added retroactively upon awakening.

Or maybe just awaken one skeleton and have the others ordered to follow it's orders.