PDA

View Full Version : Thrown Weapons?

Talya
2011-05-11, 09:02 AM
I've always been enamored of the Chakram (Lucy Lawless notwithstanding), and my DM put one on a mini-boss type encounter that my devoted Performer bard/paladin found. Normally it's a really bad exotic version of the weapon in a Faerun sourcebook. When I wanted to use it DM (smartly) decided there was nothing exotic about this 1d4, 30' range increment x3 crit multiplier thrown weapon, so he moved it to the martial table.

The weapon is, as found, a +1 returning magebane Chakram. I'm melee focused and don't want to spend a pile of feats on it, but I do expect to have money to burn for enchanting purposes. Thing is, I can't find many abilities that really multiply single hit damage (or allow me to make multiple attacks on one throw, some kind of ricochet effect.) I'm not entirely averse to spending a feat on it, though it would have to come later. Any suggestions or ideas for boosting the single target damage or other features that might be nice on a thrown weapon?

Mystify
2011-05-11, 10:00 AM
If you want to focus on it, I would recommend bloodstorm blade from tome of battle. They make thrown weapons fun. However, that is pretty much your build then, which doesn't seem to be what you want.

If you have more strength than dex, brutal throw allows you to use str for accuracy

If you have power attack, you can then take power throw, and dish out power attack damage with it.

If you have quick draw, you could take hurling charge, allowing you to throw it at an enemy during a charge, then still hit them with your normal charge attack

far shot can increase your effective range

ranged smite would allow you to deleiver your smites through it

However, you said you don't want to spend a pile of feats, so here are some other options:
Percise: +1 bonus, basically gives you precise shot for it
distance: +1 bonus, double range increment
seeking: +1 bonus, ignore miss chance from concealement
collision: +2 bonus, +5 damage
if you have ranged smite, you may be able to convince the DM to let you get mighty smiting on it. Technically its melee weapon only, but thats because you can normally only smite with a melee attack.
spell storing would allow the party mage to charge it with a damaging spell.

gloves of agile striking: 2,200 +1d6 on all ranged weapon damage for 1 round, 2/day

goggles of the ebon hunter cost 18k and give +1 attack and damage on ranged weapons, as well as darkvision

none of these options are that great. However, there is another option:
get several. If you have wuick draw, you can full round with them by throwing different ones. If you don't, you can stick a least crystal of return (300gp) in the others, assuming they are at least masterwork. If you make the weapons themselves +3, you can use a greater crystal(4k) to also give them returning, as well as the abilty to call them to your had from 30 ft away. Its very pricey to keep them enchanted though.

Thats all I cancome up with

Allanimal
2011-05-11, 10:27 AM
If you have quick draw, you could take hurling charge, allowing you to throw it at an enemy during a charge, then still hit them with your normal charge attack

That sounds cool. I'm away from my books right now... Where is Hurling Charge from?

manyslayer
2011-05-11, 10:35 AM
That sounds cool. I'm away from my books right now... Where is Hurling Charge from?

Miniatures Handbook

Talya
2011-05-11, 10:54 AM
Ooooh, too bad this is a feat.
Feat:
Chakram Ricochet (Champions of Ruin, page 17)
You can hurl a Chakram so that it strikes two enemies instead
of one.
Prerequisites: Dex 13, base attack bonus +1, proficient with
chakram.
Benefit: If you hit a creature with a thrown chakram, you can
cause it to ricochet and strike a secondary target in an adjacent
square (within 5 feet of the primary target). You immediately
make an attack roll against the secondary target, at a –2 penalty.
If the attack hits, you deal damage normally.
Special: A rogue with Chakram Ricochet can deal sneak attack
damage to both targets if they are within 30 feet and denied their
Dexterity bonus to AC.

Darrin
2011-05-11, 11:59 AM
Any suggestions or ideas for boosting the single target damage or other features that might be nice on a thrown weapon?

Start with a Lesser Crystal of Acid Assault (3000 GP, MIC p. 64). Add some Bracers of Lightning (11000 GP, MIC p. 204) for the shock property. Add a wand chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape p. 34) for, uh... you know, those curved wands... burning sword adds flaming burst, frost weapon adds 1d6 cold damage, and sonic weapon adds 1d6 sonic damage. Lesser energy surge can add more damage a la carte.

Or rather than a wand chamber, you can activate those spells with Glyph Seals keyed to your touch. You can add damage spells the same way, keyed to anyone other than you touching the chakram. Even the Greater Glyph Seal is cheaper than adding Spell Storing, although that's not a bad idea for your next enchantment.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-11, 12:11 PM
I think Wand chambers in gauntlets is more sensible and can do the same... though yeah , seal glyphs can work too.

balistafreak
2011-05-11, 01:22 PM
I think Wand chambers in gauntlets is more sensible and can do the same... though yeah , seal glyphs can work too.

Strictly speaking, I don't think that works. IIRC Wand Chambers have to be put in weapons with obvious hilts. No armor wand spikes. :smalltongue: