PDA

View Full Version : Immune to my Grtr Whirlwind?

Cowboy_ninja
2011-05-11, 11:12 AM
If I'm a lvl 10 storm lord or storm caster, can I stand inside my owe Greater whirlwind spell and be completely unaffected?

Sebastrd
2011-05-11, 11:42 AM
What system are we talking about?

Assuming it's D&D, I would say no unless the spell explicitly says otherwise. I mean, can you stand in your own fireball and be unaffected?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-11, 11:44 AM
Assuming it's D&D, I would say no unless the spell explicitly says otherwise. I mean, can you stand in your own fireball and be unaffected?

Actually, the rules for 3.5 say you can't be affected by your own fireball. Though that might be stated in the spell description, rather than just the magic rules, I forget.

Douglas
2011-05-11, 11:56 AM
Actually, the rules for 3.5 say you can't be affected by your own fireball. Though that might be stated in the spell description, rather than just the magic rules, I forget.
No, they don't. If you cast a Fireball too close to yourself, you get fried right along with everyone else.

GeminiVeil
2011-05-11, 12:38 PM

Could you quote where? I looked in the books when I first started playing 3.5, and never found that. (quite the opposite, actually) So if you could provide a page quote, I would be greatful. :smallsmile: Thank you.

Zaranthan
2011-05-11, 01:11 PM
Could you quote where? I looked in the books when I first started playing 3.5, and never found that. (quite the opposite, actually) So if you could provide a page quote, I would be greatful. :smallsmile: Thank you.

You've got the burden of proof backwards. The spell doesn't say you're safe despite standing in the area of effect, so you can hit yourself with it.

For a point of comparison, invisibility sphere doesn't specify that it affects the caster, it's just an emanation. If you're in it, you're invisible.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-11, 01:51 PM
I guess I was wrong, I looked it up and it said nothing about it.

Alleine
2011-05-11, 02:02 PM
If I'm a lvl 10 storm lord or storm caster, can I stand inside my owe Greater whirlwind spell and be completely unaffected?

You'll be unaffected by the wind due to your stormlord levels, but you'll still take the damage from crap being torn up and tossed around the whirlwind.

GeminiVeil
2011-05-11, 06:23 PM
You've got the burden of proof backwards. The spell doesn't say you're safe despite standing in the area of effect, so you can hit yourself with it.

For a point of comparison, invisibility sphere doesn't specify that it affects the caster, it's just an emanation. If you're in it, you're invisible.

I have the burden of proof backwards? I'm pretty sure that the person who first brings a belief forward needs to bring some proof of said belief first. At the very least, I know that's how courts deal with the issue. It would be kinda crappy otherwise.

Plantiff>> He owes me $700 for long distance charges he ran up on my phone!
Judge>> Well, Defendant, do you have any proof you have never called long distance on Plantiffs phone?
Defendant>> How the **** am I supposed to have proof for that?

EDIT: Was the above quote directed at me?

:smallsmile: Plus what you said is kinda what I said. I always assumed since a spell doesn't say you are immune to it, you aren't. As for invisibility sphere, what you say kinda makes sense, but it would be a little lame if when the target of the spell attacks, the whole thing goes down, kinda dumb if he wasn't invisible to begin with.

Zaranthan
2011-05-11, 06:45 PM
I have the burden of proof backwards? I'm pretty sure that the person who first brings a belief forward needs to bring some proof of said belief first. At the very least, I know that's how courts deal with the issue. It would be kinda crappy otherwise.

Bad turn of phrase, sorry. What I was trying to get at was that your defense was pretty close to "the rules don't say I can't," which is the bane of all useful rules discussion.

Basically, getting hit by your own fireball is one of those reasonable assumptions the designers expect you to make, alongside not being able to take actions when you're dead and gravity on the material plane is the logical Down (not actually printed until Manual of the Planes, notice the falling rules never specify WHICH WAY you fall).

GeminiVeil
2011-05-12, 01:20 AM
Bad turn of phrase, sorry. What I was trying to get at was that your defense was pretty close to "the rules don't say I can't," which is the bane of all useful rules discussion.

Basically, getting hit by your own fireball is one of those reasonable assumptions the designers expect you to make, alongside not being able to take actions when you're dead and gravity on the material plane is the logical Down (not actually printed until Manual of the Planes, notice the falling rules never specify WHICH WAY you fall).

Ummm. . . ok. Not sure exactly where you got that. What defense? I was merely asking him to post where he got the rule that 'if you are in your own fireball, you take no damage in 3.5'.
I think the only thing I really stated was that what I found in the books was quite the opposite of that which he was stating. As I understand it, I was agreeing with the 'a fireball DOES damage caster if in the radius of his own spell' party. It seems to be the same camp that you appear to be in, so maybe it was just an error of communication. :smallsmile: I apparently make a lot of those online. I am trying to mend that behaviour, however.
So, to sum up. Was asking him for a quote in the rules for his side of things. I always assumed that harmful spells would hurt you if you were in their area of effect unless specific spell has a specific clause that disallowed that. I can't think of any at the moment, really. :smallsmile:

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-12, 01:23 AM
You guys are actually arguing the same point. Check the thread. :smalltongue:

GeminiVeil
2011-05-12, 11:03 AM
You guys are actually arguing the same point. Check the thread. :smalltongue:

I know, I was kinda saying that with my last post. lol