PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul Help

Corrik
2011-05-11, 12:41 PM
Okay so in my current campaign I'm playing a Favored Soul because I love the flavor of the class and I have always wanted to play one. Unfortunately this is going to be my first real go at playing a divine class so I'd like a bit of help.

Bit of info, my DM agrees that FS could use a bit of a boost so I can turn undead as a cleric and I get acess to one domain. Don't have a god in mind but I'd like to use greatsword, though I'm open to suggestions. Since we already have a cleric and our party is a bit lacking for melee I was thinking that I would mostly focus on melee, buffs, and backup heals. For race I was thinking Aasimir(Not counted as +1 LA in our group) or Human. My stats are 14, 15, 16, 16, 17, 18(rolled super great).

Any help will be appreciated.

mootoall
2011-05-11, 12:49 PM
Well if you're focusing on buffs you don't care about DCs, so I'd put the 18 into Cha (I think that determines bonus spells?), then rate Wis (switch if I got the attributes wrong) lowest, especially 'cause of your good saves and racial bonus to it. Since you have turning now, you get DMM shenanigans, which is good. Then your 16 and 17 into Con and Str, 16 in Dex and 15 in Int.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-11, 12:58 PM
Consider the prestige paladin:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm
3 levels in this prestige class get you all of the classic paladin abilities (Including divine grace to go with that sweet charisma!) , 2/3 casting, and full bab.

Crack open the complete champion. The devotion feats allow you to use your turn undead attempts to fuel extra uses of some pretty cool feats. In particular Earth, Travel, and Law are very good. Animal, Strength, and Sun can be situationally good also!

With turn undead, you also have the option to go the Divine metamagic route, this feat + persistent spell can give you some ridiculous all day buffs. There are a ton of cleric optimization threads that can show you how to get the most mileage out of this.

Edit: You are very likely going to be short on feats, so I'd strongly consider being a human instead of an Aasimar. However, if you're married to the idea mootoall gave you good advice for your stats.

Jude_H
2011-05-11, 01:06 PM
Domain feats let you trade Turning for all sorts of useful areas without being as silly as the generic DMM: Persist routines. They're in Complete Champion, and are worth checking out.

Spell Compendium is the go-to book for Cleric-based buffers.
Recitation, Righteous Wrath and all of the "X, Mass" spells are very useful.

What's the pantheon like in your game? If you're using the default D&D gods, Zarus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041203a) is the only one I know that favors a greatsword. And he's basically D&D Hitler, so that could be a bit of a stumbling block.

How does your domain work? Can you spontaneously cast from it, or is each spell 1/day? Do you spend spells known to learn the spells, or learn them automatically?

Malimar
2011-05-11, 01:13 PM
What's the pantheon like in your game? If you're using the default D&D gods, Zarus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041203a) is the only one I know that favors a greatsword. And he's basically D&D Hitler, so that could be a bit of a stumbling block.

Kord, CG god of bustin' heads (from the PHB), also favors the greatsword.

Corrik
2011-05-11, 01:20 PM
Custom setting with one of the aspects being a bit of a wild west situation going on in the planes. Multiple gods claiming the same domains and what not so no real limitation on which god I want to take. As for the domain spells, I cast them spontaneously and I know them at the levels I am able to cast them.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-11, 01:35 PM
Here are some deities who favor the greatsword:

{table=head]Deity | Alignment | Domains
Gwaeron Windstrom | NG | Animal, Good, Knowledge, Plant, Travel
Haela Brightaxe | CG | Chaos, Dwarf, Good, Luck, War
Iuz | CE | Chaos, Evil, Mind, Trickery, Tyranny
Kord | CG | Chaos, Competition, Courage, Good, Luck, Nobility, Strength
Shaundakul | CN | Air, Chaos, Portal, Protection, Trade, Travel
Surtr | LE | Evil, Fire, Law, Purification, Strength, War
Torm | LG | Good, Healing, Law, Protection, Strength
Zarus | LE | Destiny, Evil, Law, Strength, War[/table]