PDA

View Full Version : Celt in a Norse Land

Elvencloud
2011-05-11, 01:17 PM
So in my Norse based campaign, I allowed one of my players to play a Celt who was captured (so he could play a druid). Since he's a druid, he's wondering what kind of animals (for animal companions) they would have in that environment.
Location is something like Norway, a colder environment especially in the winter months.
Any suggestions?

Greenish
2011-05-11, 01:32 PM
Well, wolf and bear are the usual suspects, though an elk might also work. Wolverine, eagle, lynx, stuff like that.

Hazzardevil
2011-05-11, 01:42 PM
I know a bit of celtic Lore, the Morrigan had a Raven so he might want one of them and she also had a red horse with one leg.

Yora
2011-05-11, 01:45 PM
That's another question: Where did he get his animal companion? Celts lived in large areas all over europe from Spain to Scottland and Romania. In Norway, it'd be all of the animals mentioned so far (and some more we didn't think off yet).

graeylin
2011-05-11, 01:46 PM
reindeer, caribou, ptarmigan, owl, wolf, fox, hare, wolverine, ground squirrel, marmots...

Lord.Sorasen
2011-05-11, 01:46 PM
I know a bit of celtic Lore, the Morrigan had a Raven so he might want one of them and she also had a red horse with one leg.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31BFMX86KCL._SL160_SS150_.jpg

Wolves are definitely a thing. Dire Wolves just as much so, but you might be associated with Fenrir, which would be bad.

There's a frostburn feat which gives summons the cold template. I hear it's bad but it might still be good for flavor.

Thespianus
2011-05-11, 03:06 PM
I assume seals and killer whales would be hard to fit in the game. ;)

Yora
2011-05-11, 03:36 PM
Also, not really that common in southern norway. :smallwink:

Thespianus
2011-05-11, 03:46 PM
Also, not really that common in southern norway. :smallwink:

No one said anything about southern Norway, and around Bergen (still technically in the "south") I'm sure there are a few. At least seals. :)

We have them here in southern Sweden, so they should be even more common in Norway, unless the Killer Whales ate them all, ofcourse. :smallwink:

McSmack
2011-05-11, 03:48 PM
Muskox, 'nuff said.

An arctic fox perhaps. or an Osprey. or a half fiend dire weasel.

bansidhe
2011-05-11, 03:49 PM
Snowgolem!

No seriously,an ice elemental maybe would be well scary in that enviroment,failing that the Wolf or Raven thing would fit straight in.

Hmm,Magpies and Wild Boars are also very prominent in Celtic lore though.

Thespianus
2011-05-11, 04:00 PM
A Swarm of lemmings would be fun as an animal companion.

At least untill they run off a cliff. :smallwink: