PDA

View Full Version : Let's Fix the Rage Prophet

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-05-11, 01:23 PM
The Rage Prophet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/rage-prophet). A cool concept, to be sure, but poorly executed - it suffers from the Theurge Problem turned up to eleven. So, how can we fix it?

The most obvious problem, to me, and the one most indicative of the larger "Theurge Problem" is that this class makes you worse both as an Oracle and as a Barbarian. It loses three caster levels, which alone would deny a spontaneous caster their ninth level spells, and to top it off requires at least two levels of Barbarian, bringing your total caster level loss to a minimum of five. This limits you, in what I would consider the archetypal Rage Prophet build (Barbarian 2/Oracle 8/Rage Prophet 10) to seventh level spells. On top of the massive CL loss, you find that the RP loses out entirely on new Rage Powers, more rounds of Rage per day (as an aside, does anyone have even the slightest idea of what possessed Paizo to needlessly nerf Rage and Bardic Music as they have?) and most of the improvements to Rage a Barb gets. And, in the archetypal build, you end up losing five BAB.

So, as I said before, the Rage Prophet actively makes you a worse Barbarian (failing to upgrade Rage, medium BAB, etc.) and makes you a worse Oracle to boot (lost caster levels, lost caster levels, and lost caster levels. Oh, and maybe lost mystery progression, etc.) - there is literally no reason to take this class. Comparing a Barbarian 2/Oracle 18 to the archetypal build, one finds that the RPless build ends up with roughly comparable Rage (yes, you lose out on Greater Rage, but not much else) and significantly better spellcasting, the same BAB, slightly worse hit dice (partially offset by taking the +1 HP/level favored class bonus, though if you're Human, better to take +1 Spell Known/level) and greater benefits from Oracle class features. Another build we might compare to is Barbarian 5/Oracle 15 - which gets the same loss of CLs but gets better BAB, Uncanny Dodge, etc. Either of these is more effective a build than the archetypal Rage Prophet build, casting serious doubt upon the Rage Prophet as a valid character option.

The question becomes, what can be done to fix it? First, I might give it Full BAB and full caster level progression. Yes, I know, that seems powerful, but considering you're still losing two points of BAB (when compared to a full Barbarian) and two caster levels (therefore only getting nines at level 20) I think this is a fair trade. Next comes the harder question of class features, and the adjustment thereof. The Rage Prophet, as it stands, gains a Spirit Guide, which would be great if it actually had any effective abilities rather than Guidance and some low level SLAs. In addition, the RP gains some bonus spells known, the ability to cast a very limited set of spells on his- or herself while raging, and some other ancillary benefits (mainly adding their Con mod to spell DCs and such).

What of these features can be salvaged? What need to be scrapped? What new features might be appropriate to the class? Any suggestions are welcome.

grarrrg
2011-05-11, 07:13 PM
(wall of text)

I don't have a lot of time to pick nits right now, but I will point out/add some things and edit/repost later.
Here are some scatter shot ideas in no particular order.

For being a VERY restricted entry PrC (only reasonable entry requires Barb2/Oracle1) it does seem rather underwhelming.

Rage Prophet does not give you extra rounds of Rage, but at level 6 it DOES let you cash in spell slots (free action) for an equivalent number of rounds of Rage. Granted, a straight "+2 rounds Rage per Prophet/level" might have been better/easier, but this still has its merits.

I will grant you that it is relatively weaker than Barb2/Oracle18 or what-have-you, the main advantages are it's flexibility, one day you can cash in all your spell slots and Rage-Smashy-Smashy like crazy, the next day you can Cast your spells and pretend to be a Cleric.

It could use a Bab upgrade, and actually GRANT extra Rage Powers and/or Mysteries.

Proposed change, instead of Savage Seer (Prophet stacks with Barb/Oracle for Rage/Mystery EFFECTS), maybe make it 1/2 Prophet level stacks for Effects, but every even level you can choose a NEW Mystery OR Rage power.

Edit:
Your stance seems to be that Rage Prophet is Caster with a little Melee, I think it functions better as a Melee with some Caster. Barb8/Oracle2/Prophet10 (not in that order, and while you only need Oracle 1, Oracle 2 seems a better choice than Barb 9).
You'd have 17 Bab, slightly better HP than straight d10's, can cast spells on yourself while Raging, 4th level spells.
Other than Casting, you'd lose out on most of the Oracle's bonuses, but thanks to level stacking, you'd still have a decent bonus from your Curse (and possibly a decent bonus to your 1 Revelation).
Compared to a Straight Barb, you have 3 less Bab, fewer/worse Rage powers, more rounds of Rage (cash in some Spell Slots), and a lot more options (thanks to spells). And with the Lame Curse, Rage has no downside (immune to Fatigued)