PDA

View Full Version : Planecharter

ZardozSpeaks
2011-05-11, 02:28 PM
Planecharter

Planecharters are explorers and diplomats who travel across the cosmos in fantastic vehicles. Whether they sail Githyanki skiffs through the Astral Sea or drive sleds pulled by hell hounds across the frozen waters of Stygia. Planecharters have a thirst for adventure and the unknown. Planecharter's have the ability to forge supernatural connections with their vessel and crew members, shielding them from the harsh environments of other planes.

Planecharter's come from many classes, the variety of skills needed means that most Planecharter's are multi-classed characters. Bards, Rogues, Marshals and Rangers are the most common Planecharters. Planecharters come from any alignment and rule their vessel in that manner.

Entry Requirements
Skills: Diplomacy 13 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 13 ranks, Survival 13 ranks
Special:Must have visited two planes other than the character's home plane.

Class Skills (8 + Int modifier per level): A Planecharter's class skills are class skills of the characters other class(es).

Hit Die: d6
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special[/b]

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Bonus Languages, Bonus Feat, Lore, Planeshift Vessel 1/week|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Planar Expedition|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Bonus Feat, Skill Mastery

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Enhanced Accuracy|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bonus Feat, Legendary Explorer, Planeshift Vessel 1/day[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Planecharter prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Planecharter gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies,

Bonus Feat: At first, third and fifth level a Planecharter selects a bonus feat from the following list: Alertness, Deceitful, Diligent, Endurance, Investigator, Leadership, Magical Aptitude, Negotiator, Open Minded, Persuasive, Skill Focus, Self Sufficient, Track and Urban Tracking.

Bonus Languages (Ex): A Planecharter is exposed to many languages during his travels and studies. He gains a bonus language at every class level.

Lore (Ex): A Planecharter picks up useful knowledge, legends, histories and stories durring his travels and research. This class feature is identical to Bardic Knowledge (PHB pg xx), except that the check modifier equals the Planecharter’s class level plus his intelligence modifier. Any classes that offer a bardic knowledge or equivalent class feature stack with Planecharter for determining the modifier.

Planeshift Vessel (Sp): at 1st level, a Planecharter can use a special version of the Planeshift spell, except that its target is one vehicle and all of its contents, including anyone aboard the vehicle. The Planecharter can use this ability once per month at 1st level and once per week at 5th level. Any creature aboard the vessel not wanting to planeshift may make a will save DC 15 + the Planecharter's charisma modifier.

Planar Expedition (Ex): At 3rd level, a Planecharter becomes attuned to the nature of the planes he visits and personally immune to their natural planar effects. Any effect that would be negated by the Avoid Planar Effects spell is negated by the planar survival ability as well. The Planecharter is immune to the "normal" fires of the Elemental Plane of Fire, bur fire-based attack forms and unusually fiery areas there still affect him. Because this extraordinary ability is the result of attuning himself to a particular plane, the Planecharter remains vulnerable to the same sort of damage in other planes where that attack form is not part of the natural order. Fires on other planes, including the Material Plane, affect him normally.

By spending a full hour inspecting a vehicle, the Planecharter may grant this same protection to all of the vehicle, its cargo and passengers. If any of the passengers or cargo leave the vehicle, they lose the protection.

Skill Mastery (Ex): The Planecharter becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.

Upon gaining this ability, he selects a number of skills equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier. These skills must be on the Planecharter's class skill list. When making a skill check with one of these skills, he may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.

Enhanced Accuracy (Ex): Any time a Planecharter casts a teleportation spell where there is a random chance to determine the actual destination (such as Planeshift, Teleport or his Planeshift Vessel class feature), the Planecharter rolls twice and takes which ever result he prefers.

Legendary Explorer (Ex): At 5th level the Planecharter’s knowledge of the planes is comprehensive and amazing. He is never lost and gains immunity to Maze effects. He always knows which direction is north and what plane he is on. He gains a +5 perfection bonus on any Knowledge (the planes) check about a plane he has traveled to and spent at least one week in. He gains a perfection bonus on his leadership score equal to the number of planes he has traveled to, but the bonus may not exceed his twice charisma modifier.

Planecharter

Planecharters are explorers and diplomats who travel across the cosmos.

Entry Requirements
Alignment: Any non-chaotic
Skills: Diplomacy 13 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 13 ranks, Survival 13 ranks and 6 ranks in one of the following skills; Handle Animal, Profession (Cartographer), Profession (Sailor), Profession (Pilot) or Ride.

Class Skills (8 + Int modifier per level): A Planecharter's class skills are all skills of the character's previous classes and prestige classes.

Hit Die: d6
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Existing Class Features

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Analyze Portal, Bonus Language, Lore|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Navigator Skills, Seal Portal|

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Bonus Language, Planar Survival|+1 level of existing class features

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Skill Mastery|

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bonus Language, Leadership, Planeshift Vessel 1/month|

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Planar Vessel|+1 level of existing class features

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Bonus Language, Planeshift Vessel 1/week|

8th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+6|Great Diplomat|

9th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+6|Bonus Language, Enhanced Accuracy|+1 level of existing class features

10th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+7|Legendary Explorer, Planeshift Vessel 1/day|[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Planecharter prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Planecharter gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies,

Analyze Portal (Sp): A Planecharter can use Analyze Portal a number of times per day equal to his class level with a caster level equal to his hit dice.

Bonus Languages (Ex): A Planecharter is exposed to many languages during his travels and studies. He gains a bonus language at every even numbered level. These languages can be dead or secret languages

Lore (Ex): A Planecharter picks up useful knowledge, legends, histories and stories durring his travels and research. This class feature is identical to Bardic Knowledge (PHB pg xx), except that the check modifier equals the Planecharter’s class level plus his intelligence modifier. Any classes that offer a bardic knowledge or equivalent class feature stack with Planecharter for determining the modifier.

Navigator Skills (Ex): The Planecharter must rely on a wide variety of skills. He gains an insight bonus equal to one half his class level (rounded down) on all Decipher Script, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Profession (cartographer), Profession (pilot), Profession (Sailor), Ride, and Survival Checks. He may make any of these checks, even if not possessing ranks in the skill would normally prevent him from doing so.

Seal Portal (Sp): A Planecharter can use a special version of the Seal Portal spell at will. The Royal Navigator makes a Use Magic Device check. The result of his check – 10, functions as the caster level for the Seal Portal spell (determining how difficult it is to dispel). Sealing a portal takes 1d4 rounds. Once a Planecharter has attempted sealing a portal in this manner, he cannot retry until he has attained more ranks in Use Magic Device. If a Planecharter wishes to open a portal he has sealed, he must dispel the seal as normal.

Planar Survival (Ex): At 3rd level, a Planecharter becomes attuned to the nature of the planes he visits and personally immune to their natural planar effects. Any effect that would be negated by the Avoid Planar Effects spell is negated by the planar survival ability as well. The Planecharter is immune to the "normal" fires of the Elemental Plane of Fire, bur fire-based attack forms and unusually fiery areas there still affect him. Because this extraordinary ability is the result of attuning himself to a particular plane, the gatecrasher remains vulnerable to the same sort of damage in other planes where that attack form is not part of the natural order. Fires on other planes, including the Material Plane, affect him normally.

Skill Mastery (Ex): The Planecharter becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.

Upon gaining this ability, he selects a number of skills equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, he may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.

Planeshift Vessel (Sp): at 5th level, a Planecharter can use a special version of the Planeshift spell, except that its target is one vehicle and all of its contents, including anyone aboard the vehicle. The Planecharter can use this ability once per month at 5th level, once per week at 7th level and once per day at 10th level. Any creature not wanting to planeshift may make a will save DC 15 + the Planecharter's charisma modifier.

Leadership (Ex): At 5th level the Planecharter is well known for his fantastic journeys to other planes.. He gains the leadership feat. If the Planecharter already posses the Leadership feat, he may select any other feat for which he qualifies as a replacement bonus feat.

Planar Vessel (Su): A Planecharter can develop a mystical bond with his ship. To do so, a Planecharter must spend one hour on the vehicle and inspect it thoroughly; looking at its structural integrity, memorizing its layout and conversing with its crew. After such an hour spent in this manner, the Planecharter can provide the benefits of his Planar Survival class feature to all of the vehicle, including its cargo and passengers. The Planecharter may only by bonded with a single vessel at any time. If he creates a new bond, any previous bond immediately ends. If any object or creature leaves the vessel, they no lose the benefit until they come aboard again.

Great Diplomat (Ex): A Planecharter has an impressive demeanor and can think quickly.. He no longer takes the -10 penalty for making Diplomacy, Intimidate or Sense Motive checks as a full round action.

Enhanced Accuracy (Ex): Any time a Planecharter casts a teleportation spell where there is a random chance to determine the actual destination (such as Planeshift, Teleport or his Planeshift Vessel class feature), the Planecharter rolls twice and takes which ever result he prefers.

Legendary Navigator (Ex): At 10th level the Planecharter’s knowledge of the planes is comprehensive and amazing. He is never lost and gains immunity to Maze effects. He always knows which direction is north and what plane he is on. He gains a +5 perfection bonus on any Knowledge (the planes) check about a plane he has travelled to and spent at least one week in. He gains a perfection bonus on his leadership score equal to the number of planes he has travelled to, but the bonus may not exceed his charisma modifier.

ZardozSpeaks
2011-05-11, 02:32 PM
More fluff text forthcoming.

What do you guys think? Would you let a player use this class? Its got some exceptional abilities (planeshift vessel), but I think the trade off in useful combat abilities balances it out. I kind of feel the last 5 levels are a little lack luster. Enhanced Accuracy and Great Diplomat are filler abilities, anyone have better ideas?

I wanted the class to be open to all skill monkey classes (bards, rogues, rangers, maybe even druids), but most will need to multiclass to meet the skill prereqs. Do you think the part about all previous class skills are planecharter skills is warranted?

Kellus
2011-05-11, 03:08 PM
This is actually a really cool class. There are a few things I don't personally agree with, like the class skills (which seems kind of lazy; it would fit the theme of the class just as well to simply have an enormous skill list or just flat out every skill factotum-style, and it would be less bookkeeping for the player) and the advancement of existing class features (again kind of lazy).

But seriously, there is some awesome stuff here. I love classes and prestige classes that aren't focused on combat like this, because just having them in play expands the scope of the game. Having a planecharter in the party might not help you take down a minotaur, but it sure makes the exploration part of the game way more interesting.

Normally I hate stuff like per month abilities, but I think this might be one of the few times I could make an exception. Since the ability is essentially a plot tool, it's plausible that it would work in game. The problem with ludicrously long cooldowns like that though are that they don't work the way you think they will. In theory it makes sense to have a really powerful ability that can only be used now and then. But in-game, whenever the players want to use it, even if they just used it to change planes, they say "we wait a month and then planeshift". Which is certainly not the intention here.

Consider that a cleric gets plane shift at 9th level. A planecharter can first transport a vessel at character level 15. And a cleric can do it every day, or even multiple times a day, for free. You erred way too far on the side of caution. That should seriously be like a first level bonus as in "hey, awesome! You're a planecharter now! Go explore the Nine Hells!". Instead, after waiting ten levels to get in, the character gets a new language and bardic knowledge for taking his first level in the class.

It's a cool idea, but the coolness is spread a little thin. I think you might be best off either condensing it to a really kickass 5-level prestige class or coming up with a ton of additional class features.

Also, the alignment restriction is really dumb. A chaotic character seems like they would be a perfect fit for the class, since one definition of chaotic could involve wanderlust or travelling or curiosity. I mean, half the Planes are chaotically aligned themselves. Unless there's a really solid reason to have an alignment restriction, just don't. You're only going to annoy players (cough bard cough).

Legendary Explorer is awesome, and I love that it makes you immune to mazes like a minotaur.

Morph Bark
2011-05-11, 03:43 PM
Due to the nature of the class, you could put a limitation on the Leadership that they need to be natives of planes other than the Planecharter's native plane. Or that they need to be (native) outsiders or planetouched or such.

Xzoltar
2011-05-11, 08:13 PM
A great Spelljammer PrC with lot of Flavor. I think that in the requirement you should have something special related to a spelljammer vehicule...

Great for roleplaying even with high skills and medium BaB, I think it could have 5 level of existing class feature and still be underpowered for any game where combat append every session, unless the group have lot of character this one will be near useless in fight, this may not be a problem depending on the type of game, but im pretty sure few more level of existing class feature won't hurt.

Fun to see some Spelljammer love

ZardozSpeaks
2011-05-12, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I made a new version. I decided I'd drop it to a 5 level class instead of trying to add more abilities. I had initially moddeled the class on the Gatecrasher (although I probably neglected to add a comparable class feature to the Gatecrasher's Planar Dampening).

With the reduction in levels, the +existing class features seemed unnecessary. I removed the portal stuff, spell like abilities of such specific spells are too limited. If you need to analyze and seal portals, chances are you can get scrolls or cast the spells yourself.

As for limiting the leadership ability, i think that should be at the discression of the DM and Player. Thaumaturgist, Bonded Summoner and Elemental Archon are already doing the Planar Ally kind of thing pretty well.

Also, I dropped the BAB to 1/2. It seemed kind of rough to do that for a 10 level class, but for 5 its not so bad.

Kellus
2011-05-12, 05:00 PM
Awesome. I would take this class. To dinner.

ZardozSpeaks
2011-10-03, 03:37 PM
Hey guys, I've been playing a character using this prc. Its going splendidly. No balance issues, although I'm not a power house in combat (some bard casting, multiclassing into Savant, Marshal, Ranger and Exemplar, UMD Build). All in all, the need for play-testing this class answers one question, does traveling around to lots of other planes add fun the game? My answer is yes.

We did add more one stipulation to the Planeshift Vessel, that a Knowledge (The Planes) is required to arrive on the target plane. The difficulty is based on the number of planes you must travel through, and these specifics I believe are specific to my DMs homebrewed 2e cosmology. I'll be adding the rules anyway.

I'm also going to make an Epic Planecharter, is there any precedent for 5 lvl prcs having epic progressions?