PDA

View Full Version : Need Animals

The Mister Guy
2011-05-11, 05:10 PM
Hey guys,
So I'm DMing a campaign set in the Beastlands and was wondering if anyone knows of some obscure/cool animals, or apt magical beasts that I could throw at my party. The party is 12th level now and quite optimized.

Thanks,
The Mister Guy

WinWin
2011-05-11, 05:54 PM
If you have MM2, there are some templates that may be useful.

Legendary animal is not a template, but may be appropriate for the Beastlands.

Monster of legend is a template that can be applied to an animal.

Titanic is another template that can be applied to an animal, raising it's size to garganuan.

A pack of 8 legendary wolves would be EL13. or you could use 4 legendary wolves with the monster of legend template.

The same book also has Razor Boars CR10, Forest Sloths CR11 and Grizzly Mastodons CR13. Mix them up with a few Dinosaur encounters and large groups of dire animals and you will probably have some memorable encounters.

Coidzor
2011-05-11, 06:04 PM
Awakened, Advanced Phynxkin or Dire Phynxkin might be of interest. They're from Dragon Magic, I believe.

Awakened Dinosaurs like Fleshrakers or Deinonychuses using pack tactics, ambushes, and levels in Totemist and Barbarian and maybe Rogue or something to support their flanking tactics in order to augment their melee capabilities might also pose some challenge to them. Maybe even something like Rogue/Totemist or Rogue/Warlocks for sneak attacking ambushes.

The Mister Guy
2011-05-11, 06:05 PM
How are 8 Legendary Wolves EL 13? They are each CR 7.

Coidzor
2011-05-11, 06:09 PM
How are 8 Legendary Wolves EL 13? They are each CR 7.

Each time you double the number of monsters of a given CR they contribute +2 to the EL if it's nothing but those monsters. Things get more complicated when you have multiple groups of multiple creatures of multiple CRs, I think.

so 1 CR 7 = EL 7.
2 CR 7s = EL 9.
4 CR 7s = EL 11
8 CR 7s = EL 13

Though I think it starts to break down about the second or third doubling.

WinWin
2011-05-11, 06:10 PM
my bad. I must have already applied the monster of legend template when doing the math.

doubling numbers of creatures = +2 EL

So 1w=7EL, 2w=9EL, 4w=11EL, 8w=13EL.

Could be wrong though.

The Mister Guy
2011-05-11, 06:13 PM
Thanks. Do you know how I would calculate the EL of multiple CR's?

AslanCross
2011-05-11, 06:36 PM
http://legionofgeeks.com/encounter_calc.php This will help you a lot.