PDA

View Full Version : PC seems to be warm

Bhu
2011-05-11, 05:27 PM
A while back my GPU/Core temp hit 98c, and I had to have the heatsink/cpu fan replaced (they'd stopped working). The new fan kept it at 38-42c so I thought all was well, but it's been climbing. The temperature here is in the 80's now, and I'm at 55c just turning the PC on. I'm told AMD runs a lil hot, but at what temperature should I start worrying?

Flickerdart
2011-05-11, 07:34 PM
My computer usually runs in the 60s, and will occasionally bluescreen from overheat. 80s is a little dangerous.

Fan
2011-05-11, 07:46 PM
It could just be that you're ambient temp is just insanely high (have you been keeping your comp in an oven for instance?:smalltongue:)

In all seriousness, this COULD be a power issue, do you overclock?

Spartacus
2011-05-11, 08:36 PM
All I know is that my PC stays at 40C, and thank god for that.

Bhu
2011-05-11, 09:20 PM
It could just be that you're ambient temp is just insanely high (have you been keeping your comp in an oven for instance?:smalltongue:)

In all seriousness, this COULD be a power issue, do you overclock?

Nope. Been fooling about and I think it may be the graphics card. WHen I log onto a site like Facebook or Armor Games it shoots up to 56c, and when I leave it gradually cools to 50c, but wont go below that. Looks like i need a new card and possibly a better fan?

Semidi
2011-05-11, 11:16 PM
You can get various programs online that will tell you (if you're running modern hardware) what temp everything is running at individually. Different parts are going to have different solutions. Here's a series of stupid/obvious suggestions: Blow out your computer, dust makes everything really hot; check to make sure your fans are running at their fastest speed (if you can do this manually on the fan itself, just google search a program that lets you change your fan speed), and try moving the case somewhere that might have better airflow.

Bhu
2011-05-11, 11:34 PM
Already blew it out, and its got some pretty decent airflow. I have SpeedFan right now to keep track of the fans

Im not sure what teh fan speed is supposed to be so it isn't helping much, it just says:

Fan1: 1350 rpm
Fan2: 2606 rpm
Fan3: 2157 rpm

factotum
2011-05-12, 01:34 AM
What's running at 50C here? Graphics cards are usually designed to run at over 100, so it's definitely not a problem if it's that. You usually want to keep CPUs below about 70, so 50 still isn't an issue in that case.

When you say temp is in the 80s, I assume you mean Fahrenheit, not Celsius :smallwink:. That's quite warm (85F = 29.4C), and a CPU running at only 20C above ambient is not actually so bad, so long as that's when it's under load. Happening when you just switch the machine on suggests a badly-fitted heatsink to me.

Bhu
2011-05-12, 02:22 AM
The GPU and the first listing of two for Core are at 50c, which im told is kind of warm without a load.

ZombyWoof
2011-05-12, 02:38 AM
Shouldn't be that high if you're idling... what's the ambient temp in C? Generally speaking your idle temp should be 10-20C above that DEPENDING on your brand. AMD runs hotter than Intel.

So if it's about 26C where you are, the AMD would be about 46C ideally. Plus it sounds like it's an older chip?

... 50C sounds about right. Remember that nothing works as well as it did brand new, which is why it's a liiiiitle warmer than normal. You might reapply the heatsink if it's getting really bad.

Oh one other thing to check: make sure your PSU fan is blowing the right way. I had to explain to some kid on some other forum that when the PSU blows its air right onto your GPU it makes the GPU hotter. For whatever reason he didn't believe me until finally after saying the same thing 10 times he decided to try it just to appease me. Lo and behold, his GPU temp shot down by about 20 degrees. *mutters*

grimbold
2011-05-12, 02:42 AM
before buying a new fan i would recommend cleaning your current one
that could work wonders

Bhu
2011-05-12, 03:50 AM
Shouldn't be that high if you're idling... what's the ambient temp in C? Generally speaking your idle temp should be 10-20C above that DEPENDING on your brand. AMD runs hotter than Intel.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 x dual core I think.

Speedfan lists the following:

GPU 51c
Temp1 36c
Temp2 30c
Temp3 -128c (which im told just means theres no sensor there)
HD0: 38c
Core 34c
Core 51c
Ambient 0c

Phishfood
2011-05-12, 04:56 AM
I have an AMD Athlon 64 x dual core I think.

Speedfan lists the following:

GPU 51c
Temp1 36c
Temp2 30c
Temp3 -128c (which im told just means theres no sensor there)
HD0: 38c
Core 34c
Core 51c
Ambient 0c

Those look acceptable to me. My PC runs at similar tempertatures. The running temperature really does depend on hardware, my old GPU sat at 80C constantly. The new one sits at 40-50C.

One thing you can do to reduce temperatures is remove the heatsinks and replace the thermal grease with something like this (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-001-AC) which (in my case) dropped the core temperatures about 7C.

factotum
2011-05-12, 06:39 AM
Core 34c
Core 51c

I think that only one of those two values is correct. As far as I know, AMD processors only have a single thermal diode, unlike Intel ones that have one on each core, so there should only be one CPU temperature reading. Do both readings change if you start putting some load on the CPU?

Eloel
2011-05-12, 07:35 AM
That could be considered cool for a GPU, or my laptop is screwed. I routinely see 80c on my GPU. I see 90-95c when I play games. It shuts itself down at 100c (+-4 hours of Crysis at max settings)

Bhu
2011-05-12, 02:24 PM
I think that only one of those two values is correct. As far as I know, AMD processors only have a single thermal diode, unlike Intel ones that have one on each core, so there should only be one CPU temperature reading. Do both readings change if you start putting some load on the CPU?

It's a dual core processor. Both readings do change its just that one goes up to 56c before i stop playing games, and one rarely goes above 40c.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-05-12, 03:12 PM
Generally when you're playing most games 1 core gets a lot more use than the other, so difference in temperature is explainable.

Also, 50c is perfectly fine. CPU keep it less than 70 and GPU keep it at less than 80.

Bhu
2011-05-13, 01:42 AM
Thanks guys!