PDA

View Full Version : It's 5 degrees outside...

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-11, 10:46 PM
..my office door.

It's that coold my boss didn't stay at work, asn I have the only heater.

Brr! :smalleek:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-05-11, 11:04 PM
I assume fahrenheit?

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-11, 11:05 PM
< Look here, why would I use farenheit?

Serpentine
2011-05-11, 11:07 PM
Why would anyone use fahrenheit? :confused: :smalltongue:

I heard yesterday that it was meant to snow here today. Doesn't look like it to me, but the wind is quite chilly.

Kneenibble
Because anybody from Canada will simply laugh at anybody who complains about 5 Celsius.

Trazoi
You're in Tasmania, where sometimes you get snow in mid-summer. What do you expect? :smalltongue:

(That said, it's beastly cold for May. :smallfrown:)

John Cribati
2011-05-11, 11:09 PM
Oh, Yeah, Australia has backwards seasons, doesn't it? Hot in December and cold in June.

[/silly American]

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-11, 11:09 PM
Hear it's 15 in Sydn, that sounds balmy.

And one of my friends is Canadian, from Newfoundland. He lives here and he has his heater up to 29.

Pentachoron
2011-05-11, 11:11 PM
I'm jealous. It was 35C here yesterday, thought my face was going to melt off.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-11, 11:14 PM
Would you rather have your face frozen off? It was raining hard here earlier, talk about miserable. Now it's just cold.

I am also without a winter hat, not sure where I put it at the end of last winter but morning fog in Tassie can stay around until around 11am some mornings. You can see frost stay in the shady parts of the garden for as long as that as well. But a winter hat helps keep your hair dry in the morning fog.

Now why did I not wear my nice warm boots this morning?

rayne_dragon
2011-05-11, 11:14 PM
Because anybody from Canada will simply laugh at anybody who complains about 5 Celsius.

I've heard people out here in Vancouver complain about 5 degrees (Celsius). Although, I don't think they're from here originally. It rather seems like it's been 5 degrees here for the last three months. :smalltongue:

I've also seen people wearing shorts out here in 5 degree weather... this place is weird. Which is why I love it. :smallwink:

Pentachoron
2011-05-11, 11:16 PM
Would you rather have your face frozen off? It was raining hard here earlier, talk about miserable. Now it's just cold.

Honestly, yes, I prefer a much colder climate. I'm weird like that though.

Lioness
2011-05-11, 11:17 PM
It's starting to get cold here too :smallfrown:

Not 5C cold, but last night around the house it was probably about 9C.

I hate winter...it makes me sad :smallfrown:

Also today I'm wearing three layers of clothing.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-11, 11:18 PM
I never go out without at three layers from about May onwards. Have a lovely wool vest that is unfortunately waiting to be washed.

Lady Moreta
2011-05-11, 11:26 PM
It sounds lovely to me... it's still pretty warm over here and I'm over it. I want my proper winter already.

Trazoi
2011-05-11, 11:26 PM
Oh, Yeah, Australia has backwards seasons, doesn't it? Hot in December and cold in June.
I think you'll find it's us who has it the right way round. Who wants to be out all night on New Year's Eve in the middle of winter? That's just silly. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2011-05-11, 11:29 PM

Because enough silly Americans preferred that system in the 70s and refused to change that the sensible ones are stuck learning and using it. :smallannoyed:

(The truth of it is more complicated, but regardless I'd like to remind everyone that 298 K is a fairly decent room temperature.)

Pentachoron
2011-05-11, 11:33 PM
Because enough silly Americans preferred that system in the 70s and refused to change that the sensible ones are stuck learning and using it. :smallannoyed:

(The truth of it is more complicated, but regardless I'd like to remind everyone that 298 K is a fairly decent room temperature.)

To be fair to us silly Americans most of us learn SI via science courses (I actually use SI nigh exclusively unless I'm dealing with someone that I know doesn't understand SI.)

Also, I could be wrong in this, but I think there is another country that uses the same primary system as America.

Lioness
2011-05-11, 11:36 PM
I think you'll find it's us who has it the right way round. Who wants to be out all night on New Year's Eve in the middle of winter? That's just silly. :smalltongue:

Also trying to do Christmas BBQs in the snow? So not for me :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-05-11, 11:38 PM
Also one's summer holidays should definitely coincide with the two biggest events in the year - aforementioned Christmas and New Years.

Gaelbert
2011-05-11, 11:42 PM
To be fair to us silly Americans most of us learn SI via science courses (I actually use SI nigh exclusively unless I'm dealing with someone that I know doesn't understand SI.)

Also, I could be wrong in this, but I think there is another country that uses the same primary system as America.

Belize, I believe.
I wear shorts out at 5 degrees, I don't see what the problem is. It's not that cold.

Edit: Also, Burma uses some imperial measurements.

Lioness
2011-05-11, 11:43 PM
Belize, I believe.
I wear shorts out at 5 degrees, I don't see what the problem is. It's not that cold.

Meep.

I transfer to long pants at 20C...anything 10C or lower has me with two pairs of stockings, jeans, and at least 3 top layers. Also ugg boots.

Orzel
2011-05-11, 11:47 PM
Belize, I believe.

So you are one of those people.

My friend Jose says: "If it's too warm to snow, it's shorts weather."

Mina Kobold
2011-05-12, 12:03 AM
While I don't wear shorts at any time, summer or winter, I don't consider 5C very cold either, it's almost warm enough to not wear a jacket up here in Delicious Pastry Land.

It's not cold up here until you have to break the ice to bathe in the North Sea, and that's just in the warmer parts of the Viking-lands.

Now 20C, that's very hot for a Dane.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-12, 12:14 AM

Tell that to Ray Bradbury.

Lioness
2011-05-12, 12:27 AM

I think I love you.

XD

Elder Tsofu
2011-05-12, 12:46 AM
5-15 degrees Celsius is my optimal temperature - when it starts to go above 25 I'm overheating.
But then again, we build houses to cope with a little cold weather - if you've got no isolation or warm clothes I can understand a bit of shivering. :smalltongue:

@V Rawhide got it right

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-12, 12:53 AM
Don't you mean "insulation"?

Rawhide
2011-05-12, 01:27 AM
Don't you mean "insulation"?

No, if you've got no isolation, then just about everyone will be giving you the cold shoulder or an icy glare. It would be a very frigid environment to be in.

factotum
2011-05-12, 01:37 AM

Actually, I'd find that to be an uncomfortably warm room temperature--293K is my comfort zone. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-05-12, 01:57 AM
I think I love you.

XD

Everybody loves me. Tell me something I don't know.

Serpentine
2011-05-12, 02:19 AM
Tell that to Ray Bradbury.Dear Ray Bradbury,

You get a pass on using Farenheit because you didn't know better, "Celsius 233" doesn't have the same ring to it, and you wrote one of my favourite short stories.
Sincerely,

Serpentine.

Gaelbert
2011-05-12, 03:42 AM
So you are one of those people.

Meh, I've worn shorts in the snow. That's no big deal either, it's only cold if there's something of a wind. Then you don't want to try it.
The only reason I wear long pants are to look nicer. I don't really feel the cold. Heat, on the other hand, I melt in.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-12, 03:44 AM
Dear Ray Bradbury,

You get a pass on using Farenheit because you didn't know better, "Celsius 233" doesn't have the same ring to it, and you wrote one of my favourite short stories.
Sincerely,

Serpentine.

Hey Serpentine, I'm gonna let you finish, but H.P. Lovercraft is the best short story horror writer.

Serpentine
2011-05-12, 03:45 AM
It's a sci-fi story. Has horrific elements, I guess, but it's sci-fi.
And I haven't read any Lovecraft, but I've heard a lot of people say his writing leaves a lot to wish for :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-05-12, 04:00 AM
Man, I wish it was 5 degrees. It's over 20 now, and I'm dying. Dying, I say.

I agree with the people who say that everything above zero is short-sleeve weather. I don't wear shorts much, since I have to work in chest-high, scratchy, tick-infested vegetation a lot, but definitely short sleeves.

Serpentine
2011-05-12, 04:04 AM
I call my housemate Asbestos Boy, because he's impervious to extremes of heat and cold.
Gets annoying when he constantly leaves his windows open, even in the negatives, and won't even shut his door :smallsigh:

Eldan
2011-05-12, 04:05 AM
Well, I can sleep better in a really, really cold room. So, I leave the windows open in freezing weather as well, at least before I go to bed.

Heat though... heat just kills me. And I define heat as more than somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees. Which means that even here, any month between about April and September is my natural enemy.

Serpentine
2011-05-12, 04:11 AM
I don't mind him leaving the windows in his room open. I do mind it when he won't shut the door and makes the whole house cold, and then makes me feel guilty for wanting the heater on :smallannoyed:

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-12, 04:14 AM
Well, we've had the first snow on the mountains. :smallbiggrin:

grimbold
2011-05-12, 04:52 AM

actually paper catches fire at 451 CELSIUS
so bradbury was wrong
still thats an awesome response Dr.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-12, 05:00 AM
still thats an awesome response Dr.

Again, all my responses are always awesome. You people need to stop telling me things I already know.

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-12, 08:52 AM
19 C and sunny here, pretty excellent.
Silly southern hemisphere, it's supposed to snow at Christmas.

Scarlet Knight
2011-05-12, 10:04 AM
C'mon! I would love to attend mass on Christmas in a white sport coat & a pink crustacean! :smallcool:

I'm da Rogue!
2011-05-12, 10:25 AM

Where I live, tourists wear their shorts and go sightseeing around the town, while the rest of us wear jackets and drink hot chocolate.

For me, anything below 15 is cold.. At least I'm immune to heat (we get 40-45 C in the summer here)

Morph Bark
2011-05-12, 10:34 AM

I would laugh at people complaining about it being 5 C outside and I live far from such cold norths.

I'm da Rogue!
2011-05-12, 10:38 AM
I live far from such cold norths.

You live in the Netherlands, it's cold up there in case you didn't know

Morph Bark
2011-05-12, 10:44 AM
You live in the Netherlands, it's cold up there in case you didn't know

42 degree summers is not something I call cold. :smalltongue:

Plus, it is pretty relative. If you are from Florida it may seem cold, I suppose. Michigan folks might think differently.

cheesymetal
2011-05-12, 10:52 AM
i hate heat, yet i live in south texas. dont know why?

I'm da Rogue!
2011-05-12, 11:00 AM
42 degree summers is not something I call cold. :smalltongue:

Plus, it is pretty relative. If you are from Florida it may seem cold, I suppose. Michigan folks might think differently.

42 C summers? Really?:smallconfused: In Netherlands? As in Netherlands, Europe?:smallconfused:

Serpentine
2011-05-12, 11:10 AM
They have that in Canadia, too...

ZombyWoof
2011-05-12, 11:12 AM
Wait 5C? And they're complaining that's cold? :smallconfused: I'm from California... that's sweater weather.

EDIT: I find it hard to believe that the Netherlands or Canada have summers in which it consistently reaches 42F. Why? Because that's Mojave Desert levels of hot, and that place is dry (thus gets very hot temp wise) as well as about 10-20 degrees south.

Keld Denar
2011-05-12, 12:03 PM
Personal comfort-wise, you can always put on MORE layers and stack more blankets. Common decency requires that you at least leave the last layer on.

That said, I prefer girl-watching at higher temperatures than low. :smallcool:

Morph Bark
2011-05-12, 12:10 PM
Wait 5C? And they're complaining that's cold? :smallconfused: I'm from California... that's sweater weather.

EDIT: I find it hard to believe that the Netherlands or Canada have summers in which it consistently reaches 42F. Why? Because that's Mojave Desert levels of hot, and that place is dry (thus gets very hot temp wise) as well as about 10-20 degrees south.

Isn't 42F about the same as 5C? You think that is hot? Man, you're weirder than the people here thinking it is cold. :smalltongue:

42 C summers? Really?:smallconfused: In Netherlands? As in Netherlands, Europe?:smallconfused:

Not consistently, but it has hit that last year, at least where I'm from.

For reference, where are you from?

I'm da Rogue!
2011-05-12, 12:37 PM
Greece .

DraPrime
2011-05-12, 12:46 PM
Where I live, tourists wear their shorts and go sightseeing around the town, while the rest of us wear jackets and drink hot chocolate.

For me, anything below 15 is cold.. At least I'm immune to heat (we get 40-45 C in the summer here)

At least you Greeks have some comfort level. We New Englanders complain no matter what the weather is. It's always too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, etc.

Zar Peter
2011-05-12, 12:50 PM
Well, for me personally the perfect outside temperature is about 18.6°C, I need a little jacket with all the pockets for my profession. Inside I would tolerate temperatures up to 21.3°C. Every other temperature I feel as insult and can't stop complaining about. :smalltongue:

Gaelbert
2011-05-12, 01:40 PM
Isn't 42F about the same as 5C? You think that is hot? Man, you're weirder than the people here thinking it is cold. :smalltongue:

The Mojave Desert regularly hits 49C. California also has Death Valley, which has hit 56.7C.
The Central Valley of California ranges from 0C to 40C at the extreme. Northern California coast is much cooler during the summers, but not a whole lot colder in the winter. Unless you include wind chill.
Southern California is an abomination of nature and I refuse to discuss it.

thorgrim29
2011-05-12, 02:06 PM
True story, last winter (so winter 2010) when I was in Vegas we went to the red sand valley or something, supposedly the hottest nd dryest part of the Mojave desert. We got snowed on bit.

Pentachoron
2011-05-12, 02:07 PM
That said, I prefer girl-watching at higher temperatures than low. :smallcool:

Well of course, that should just be a given.

Serpentine
2011-05-12, 10:45 PM
Well, for me personally the perfect outside temperature is about 18.6°C, I need a little jacket with all the pockets for my profession. Inside I would tolerate temperatures up to 21.3°C. Every other temperature I feel as insult and can't stop complaining about. :smalltongue:Heeeeey, it's Zar! Hi Zar!

I've decided I don't like hot or cold. I like comfortable. This comfort range varies a lot depending on what I'm doing and what temperature-adjusting resources I have available.
For example, I usually only like swimming if it's really hot, 30C+ On the other hand, I like it to be cool when I go bushwalking, maybe 12-20C.
If I can layer up and won't need to put stuff on and off and get hot when the sun comes out and have to carry my coat around and so on, I can enjoy quite cold weather, maybe even the negatives if it's calm and sunny.
Similarly, if I can just lounge around wearing next to nothing and catch a nice breeze, I can enjoy quite hot weather, 35C or more.
The worst, though, is when you just can't escape it. 40+, humid, no breeze, no air conditioning and/or having to move around and do stuff sucks. As does getting out of bed on a frosty-cold morning.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-12, 11:16 PM
If it's really hot and there's nothing you can do I use a trick from ancient Egypt: a wet cloth around your neck.

It works!

Lioness
2011-05-13, 10:39 PM
My favourite temperature is about 28-30C. Warm enough to wear jeans and a tank top.

Our weather usually ranges from about 9C in winter daytimes to about 47C in summer daytimes. At night...I don't even want to think about it...maybe about 0- -1C in winter and about 25-30C in summer?

factotum
2011-05-14, 01:00 AM
My favourite temperature is about 28-30C. Warm enough to wear jeans and a tank top.

Warm enough? :smalleek: 28-30C would be my own personal idea of Hell, I find it intolerable enough when the temperature tops 25!

Don Julio Anejo
2011-05-14, 02:44 AM
I've heard people out here in Vancouver complain about 5 degrees (Celsius). Although, I don't think they're from here originally. It rather seems like it's been 5 degrees here for the last three months. :smalltongue:

I've also seen people wearing shorts out here in 5 degree weather... this place is weird. Which is why I love it. :smallwink:
I'm one of both kinds of people :smalltongue: Yes, I wear shorts and then complain that it's 5 degrees and too cold :smallwink:

Also, it's 5 degrees here for the entire year, so...

Anuan
2011-05-14, 05:37 AM
Warm enough? :smalleek: 28-30C would be my own personal idea of Hell, I find it intolerable enough when the temperature tops 25!

My thought process; "I'll bet factotum's from Englan-...Yeahhhh."

THAC0
2011-05-14, 05:11 PM
It's 54 degrees outside (F) and I am lounging around in shorts and a tank drinking lemonade. My cat is hiding in the shade.

...And in three weeks I am moving to the South. :smalleek: I am going to die!

Science Officer
2011-05-14, 06:23 PM
Yeah, thought you were talking about Farenheit too...

This (http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-from-canada-acts-like-hes-not-cold,3635/) is relevant...