PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia?

Scarey Nerd
2011-05-12, 12:47 PM
I've heard mention of Paranoia before, and I just looked it up on wikipedia. It looks pretty fun, I love games where you stab each other in the back. What do the good people of GitP think of this game? (Oh, and the bit on wikipedia about players not being allowed to know the rules seemed strange...)

EDIT: Also, what edition do people prefer? 1st, 2nd, or 5th? :smalltongue:

ericgrau
2011-05-12, 12:49 PM
I played a couple short adventurers and it was awesome. Definitely good for a few light hearted sessions.

Also try googling "friend computer" site:giantitp.com for plenty of comments from these forums.

zyborg
2011-05-12, 01:03 PM
It is a really awesome game. It is very funny, and works as a good "quick" game, as they are almost all one-shots. If you play it, prepare to die - a lot! Good thing you have multiple clones. If you want to know more about it, check out paranoia-live.net . It is a very good community.

Killer Angel
2011-05-12, 01:11 PM

This information is not allowed at you security level, citizen.
Report yourself at the nearest termination point.
Have a nice day citizen, the computer is your friend.

Kurald Galain
2011-05-12, 01:23 PM
(Oh, and the bit on wikipedia about players not being allowed to know the rules seemed strange...)
That's definitely one of the highlights. It means that whenever a player argues that he should get such-and-such bonus (e.g. +1 to defense for being behind cover), then you get to shoot their character. It's an excellent defense against metagaming arguments.

The only one in stores right now is Paranoia XP (renamed to just "Paranoia" after a happy fun talk by Microsoft's lawyers). However, it doesn't matter much; the setting is much more important.

Praise The Computer! The Computer Is Your Friend!

Aidan305
2011-05-12, 01:38 PM
Also, what edition do people prefer? 1st, 2nd, or 5th? :smalltongue:

There are no other editions. There is only Paranoia. Happiness is mandatory. Paranoia will make you happy. Other games will not make you happy. Play Paranoia.

In all seriousness though, I'd agree with Kulraid. System has no inherant value in Paranoia. It can essentially be summed up as "Roll a d20, GM decides if you have been entertaining enough to be allowed to live." What's important is the story and style of play that supports it. That's the main reason why players don't need to know anything other than rolling a d20 is sometimes necessary. It stops arguments about mechanics distracting from the game and subtracting clones from character sheets.

Kurald Galain
2011-05-12, 01:53 PM
System has no inherant value in Paranoia. It can essentially be summed up as "Roll a d20, GM decides if you have been entertaining enough to be allowed to live."

My very brief Paranoia rules (only read if you're VIOLET clearance or higher):

There are four stats: mental, physical, social, and mutation. You get the values 4, 8, 12, and 16; assign those values to one stat each. The basic resolution system is to take 1d20 and roll on or under your stat value.
You get three skills, which means "stuff you're good at" which can basically be whatever you like. You get a +4 bonus to the target value when it involves one of your skills.
You get one mutation, which can also basically be whatever you like; using it requires a mutation roll. Abusing these rules to get overpowered skills or mutation gets your character mutilated.
You get one secret society, which can basically have whatever agenda you like. Their competence or lack thereof is strictly up to the DM.
You have three hit points, so if you get shot three times you're dead - but of course you have six clones.
You roll checks when the GM tells you to, and if you fail you do not usually get a reroll for trying again; try something else. Things that are funny tend to work even without a check. Things that are boring or stupid may have weird side effects even on a successful check.

That's all you need. Praise The Computer!

Selrahc
2011-05-12, 02:09 PM
System has no inherant value in Paranoia. It can essentially be summed up as "Roll a d20, GM decides if you have been entertaining enough to be allowed to live."

I think you're forgetting the Perversity points. They're a great system addition.

ericgrau
2011-05-12, 02:34 PM
The only one in stores right now is Paranoia XP (renamed to just "Paranoia" after a happy fun talk by Microsoft's lawyers). However, it doesn't matter much; the setting is much more important.
Ah but they'll have the last laugh as I assume that's the 6th Paranoia and the next one will be Paranoia 7 which is immune to copyright issues.

Tyndmyr
2011-05-12, 02:47 PM
My very brief Paranoia rules (only read if you're VIOLET clearance or higher):

Citizen, marking VIOLET data as GREEN data is treason. Please report to your local termination facility for processing. Have a nice day!

prufock
2011-05-12, 07:59 PM
Paranoia! is fun. Other games are not. Play Paranoia!.

In all seriousness, I've only ever experienced it from the GM chair, and it is incredibly fun. XP edition.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-12, 08:06 PM
In all seriousness, I've only ever experienced it from the GM chair, and it is incredibly fun. XP edition.

Seriousness is treason, citizen. Please report to the nearest termination booth. Have fun! Remember to keep smiling!

TARDIS
2011-05-12, 08:34 PM
Friend computer informs me you are inquiring about Paranoia. It is important to note that Paranoia is a fun game that is an excellent way to spend time with friends and family for short, one-off games. Paranoia is not well suited for long term games, as the feel of the setting starts to wear thin and some of the charm is lost. However, for short visits, Friend Computer informs me there is no better option, and that any other opinion is treason and will result in termination.

Have a nice day, Citizen!

rayne_dragon
2011-05-12, 08:51 PM
You should play paranoia. You will have fun. It is mandatory. Not having fun will result in execution because only commie mutant traitors do not have fun.

This message is brought to you by your friend computer.

Giggling Ghast
2011-05-12, 09:14 PM
So the rules in Paranoia are fairly easy to learn? Even for the GM?

Aidan305
2011-05-12, 09:15 PM
So the rules in Paranoia are fairly easy to learn? Even for the GM?

Immensely. Easy for the GM, easier for the players since they're not supposed to know anything beyond the basics.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-12, 09:41 PM
Greetings citizen! It is a pleasure to know that yet another High-Programmer has joined the ranks to serve our friend, the Computer!

Players do have a version of the rules at their clearance level in The Little Red Book (http://www.amazon.com/Paranoia-Little-Book-Allen-Varney/dp/1905471564/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1305254355&sr=8-1).

I recomment "The Quantum Traitor" as a good starting mission.

Remember, the best way to judge if you are succeeding in Paranoia is when you have to do absolutely nothing. If the players are not turning on each other 5 minutes in, you are doing something wrong!

I actually think us High Programmers should have our own thread where we can trade secrets and the like.

There are four stats: mental, physical, social, and mutation. You get the values 4, 8, 12, and 16; assign those values to one stat each. The basic resolution system is to take 1d20 and roll on or under your stat value.
You get three skills, which means "stuff you're good at" which can basically be whatever you like. You get a +4 bonus to the target value when it involves one of your skills.
You get one mutation, which can also basically be whatever you like; using it requires a mutation roll. Abusing these rules to get overpowered skills or mutation gets your character mutilated.
You get one secret society, which can basically have whatever agenda you like. Their competence or lack thereof is strictly up to the DM.
You have three hit points, so if you get shot three times you're dead - but of course you have six clones.
You roll checks when the GM tells you to, and if you fail you do not usually get a reroll for trying again; try something else. Things that are funny tend to work even without a check. Things that are boring or stupid may have weird side effects even on a successful check.

Citizen! You are referring to rules that never existed! Please report for immediate termination! Have a nice daycycle.

some guy
2011-05-13, 06:56 AM
I have never played Paranoia, but I just wanted to say I am amused that it was first published in 1984.

The Big Dice
2011-05-13, 07:19 AM
This information is not allowed at you security level, citizen.
Report yourself at the nearest termination point.
Have a nice day citizen, the computer is your friend.

You forgot to say "Computer says..."

*Zap zap zap*

Mordokai
2011-05-13, 09:35 AM
Immensely. Easy for the GM, easier for the players since they're not supposed to know anything beyond the basics.

I must say, I felt more than little confusion coming on to me once I was done reading the rulebook(Troubleshooters, for anybody interested). Sure, the whole thing can basically be botched down to "do what you want, what feels right and/or funny", but the rules themselves seemed needlessly complicated at times all the same.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-13, 03:48 PM
A simple rule to bear in mind for Paranoia is "What is the most fun thing that could happen right now?" This can have no bearing on dicerolls or the rules.
If things are going to well, take one player aside and tell them that another player is a traitor and it's their duty to kill them.

Some tips from another High Programmer:

* Use pre-genned characters, you can coordinate much more behind the scenes this way. I always make two more than there are players, but they don't get the secret sheet until everyone has chosen.
*Before every game conduct security interviews, one on one with each player away from everyone else. This is where you explain secrets (mutant power, secret society etc) and answer questions.
*Develop a distinct Friend Computer voice that is different to your voice as GM. The players need to remember your dual role and address you as Friend Computer if they want to talk to the computer.
*Be prepared to really ham it up and encourage players to do the same. Seriousness is treason so this game may not be for everyone.
*Don't run it too often with the same group, it works best as a one off once in a while. Paranoia is great to run at a con and you may find people climbing over each other to get places.

My blog, linked below, has quite a few Paranoia posts including how to write missions.

littlebottom
2011-05-13, 11:07 PM
hmmm paranoia-y goodness. anyone fancy a PbP game of Paranoia? im not GMing it mind, its too fun to obey the computer to be the GM

The Glyphstone
2011-05-13, 11:16 PM
Paranoia is really hard to do via PbP. It loses a lot of 'oomph' when you have a day to decide your actions or how to respond to an accusation of Treason.

littlebottom
2011-05-13, 11:37 PM
Paranoia is really hard to do via PbP. It loses a lot of 'oomph' when you have a day to decide your actions or how to respond to an accusation of Treason.

wait... you see a new post in the thread and DONT instantly reply to it?:smallconfused: thats why PbP dies you know. people saying "ill do that later" it only takes 5 mins tops if your in a rush.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-14, 07:31 AM
Paranoia has such a vibrant dynamic at the table that would be VERY hard to replicate via PbP.

Maybe in an irc, but not forum.

Fax Celestis
2011-05-14, 07:40 AM
Good thing you have multiple clones.

Praise The Computer! The Computer Is Your Friend!

I just had this horrible terrible amazing idea.

Portal Paranoia. Portalnoia if you will.

Friend Computer is GLADOS!

The Glyphstone
2011-05-14, 08:38 AM
...someone has got to write an adventure where R&D has the Troubleshooters testing a portal gun.

Fax Celestis
2011-05-14, 08:51 AM
...someone has got to write an adventure where R&D has the Troubleshooters testing a portal gun.

Yes. o_o I would play that so hard.

Mordokai
2011-05-14, 09:01 AM
wait... you see a new post in the thread and DONT instantly reply to it?:smallconfused: thats why PbP dies you know. people saying "ill do that later" it only takes 5 mins tops if your in a rush.

No offence meant and I really don't mean this the way it will probably sound, but I like to put some thought into my roleplaying posts. Sometimes, that takes more than five minutes. And I really don't feel like rushing.

Andre
2011-05-14, 09:19 AM
No offence meant and I really don't mean this the way it will probably sound, but I like to put some thought into my roleplaying posts. Sometimes, that takes more than five minutes. And I really don't feel like rushing.

It appears that you are a Commie Mutant Traitor. Why are you not happy? Friend Computer wants you to be happy. Insufficient level of happiness is considered treason.
The Computer is your friend. Trust the Computer.

littlebottom
2011-05-14, 09:37 AM

no, no i get it, i like to take my time sometimes too, but what i mean is, if you dont have that much time, you can atleast put something in order to allow the game to move on.

Aidan305
2011-05-14, 12:24 PM

The troubleshooters tend to produce interesting results when you do that. GLaDOS would have a field day with the new research.

You'd be surprised at how careless people can be with regards to portal placement.

zyborg
2011-05-14, 12:29 PM
I'd love a Paranoia game with Portal guns.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-14, 01:12 PM

No, portal gun, singular. It is R&D tech, after all.

At least one secrety society mission would be to fake the destruction of the gun while actually stealing it for experimentation. Another would be to actually destroy the gun. A third would be to make sure the gun remains intact. The gun would be indestructible.

Selrahc
2011-05-14, 04:33 PM
No, portal gun, singular. It is R&D tech, after all.

At least one secrety society mission would be to fake the destruction of the gun while actually stealing it for experimentation. Another would be to actually destroy the gun. A third would be to make sure the gun remains intact. The gun would be indestructible.

One for blue, one for orange, like in co-op.

That means that there aren't enough Portal Guns for everyone to have one, there are enough to form a clique, and they have ample opportunity to backstab through portal placement.

Maximum squabbling potential.

Ezeze
2011-05-14, 05:26 PM

This is brilliant :smallbiggrin: I might actually do this.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-14, 06:14 PM

That means that there aren't enough Portal Guns for everyone to have one, there are enough to form a clique, and they have ample opportunity to backstab through portal placement.

Oh, this is even better.:smallbiggrin:

zyborg
2011-05-14, 07:14 PM
If one is blue, and one is orange, that means...

"Insufficient clearance, Keel-R-WHL. Report to the nearest Termination Booth. Have a nice day!"

Aidan305
2011-05-14, 09:03 PM

"Insufficient clearance, Keel-R-WHL. Report to the nearest Termination Booth. Have a nice day!"

I can't believe I never caught that one. I applaud you sir for you have ensured my continuing happiness.

*Note: While the above statement could be read to imply that I was no longer happy, or would not be happy at some point in the future this is not so.

*Extra Note: While the above note could be read to imply that I have the mutant power of precognition, this is not the case. I am merely confident that Friend Computer will continue to keep me happy as Friend Computer has always done.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-14, 09:58 PM

Which is why the guns themselves are Red, of course, except for the tips, and the portals. Extra fun, as the troubleshooters try to make use of the portals without actually contacting the edges (which would be above their security clearance, as well as vaporizing parts of their body).

TheCountAlucard
2011-05-15, 04:05 AM
Eh, just going through a BLUE door is treason for RED-clearance citizens. The clear solution is to have one portal be black infrared, and the other one red! Or, you know, keep them blue and orange, and just have things be that much more amusing...

Andre
2011-05-15, 07:18 AM
That would be fun. In Italic, even.

This spoiler is placed at security clearance GREEN.
Glyphstone is clearly the greatest threat around. :smallbiggrin: As such...

Citizen, it occurs to me that you may be hiding communist traitors in that red popcorn cart of yours. Hiding communist traitors in red popcorn carts is considered Treason. Have a nice day!

The Glyphstone
2011-05-15, 09:01 AM
That would be fun. In Italic, even.

This spoiler is placed at security clearance GREEN.
Glyphstone is clearly the greatest threat around. :smallbiggrin: As such...

Citizen, it occurs to me that you may be hiding communist traitors in that red popcorn cart of yours. Hiding communist traitors in red popcorn carts is considered Treason. Have a nice day!

You have clearly failed to notice the color of my shirt. This is a gross lack of competent awareness, and could be constituted as unintentional treason. Shall I mention it in my next reprogramm-debriefing session with Friend Computer?

Dienekes
2011-05-15, 09:20 AM

Personally I would give everyone different experimental portal guns:
One works
One slowly poisons whoever crawls through it
One only shows the image of the other side but when you jump through it it's still a wall[I really hope they figure this one out by jumping through it at high speed]
One sets you on fire when you jump through it, and can also be used as a weapon.
One makes you exactly 3 inches smaller each time it's used.
One has a 1/20 chance of recombining your particles in a funky way.

Each is given the task of not only finding the right one but stealing it for their secret society for various reasons.

Now all I have to do is be smart enough to design portal levels and explain them to my players completely vocally. That could be a problem.

Andre
2011-05-15, 11:36 AM
You have clearly failed to notice the color of my shirt. This is a gross lack of competent awareness, and could be constituted as unintentional treason. Shall I mention it in my next reprogramm-debriefing session with Friend Computer?

I do believe an apology would be due in the current situation; however, I do not fail to notice the colour of your jacket, which could be considered a severe and blatant infraction due to the large gap between the jacket and the shirt colours. Furthermore, said apology would be retracted in the unfortunate circumstance that you would treacherously appropriate yourself of a shirt representing a clearance clearly well above your current level.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-15, 11:41 AM
I do believe an apology would be due in the current situation; however, I do not fail to notice the colour of your jacket, which could be considered a severe and blatant infraction due to the large gap between the jacket and the shirt colours. Furthermore, said apology would be retracted in the unfortunate circumstance that you would treacherously appropriate yourself of a shirt representing a clearance clearly well above your current level.

Thank you for your prompt cooperation, citizen. Please report to Interrogation Room 54D-45T-39 at 0700 hours tomorrow for a special questioning session with Internal Security. The specifics of the Ultraviolet clearance allowable dress code is a highly classified matter, and we are deeply concerned as to the identity of the Commie Mutant Traitor who allowed such data to be leaked.

Andre
2011-05-15, 03:57 PM
Thank you for your prompt cooperation, citizen. Please report to Interrogation Room 54D-45T-39 at 0700 hours tomorrow for a special questioning session with Internal Security. The specifics of the Ultraviolet clearance allowable dress code is a highly classified matter, and we are deeply concerned as to the identity of the Commie Mutant Traitor who allowed such data to be leaked.

Right indeed, citizen. Let it never be said that I failed Friend Computer, as it is quite evident judging by my clearance level. It won't prove a problem to root out the real communist traitors after a brief investigation.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-15, 07:50 PM
Friend Computer is forgiving. citizebn. Friend Computer is, after all, your friend.

Kurald Galain
2011-05-16, 06:21 AM
*Extra Note: While the above note could be read to imply that I have the mutant power of precognition, this is not the case. I am merely confident that Friend Computer will continue to keep me happy as Friend Computer has always done.

I'm sorry, citizen, knowledge of the existence of a "mutant power of precognition" is above your security clearance. Please report to the nearest termination booth.

Andre
2011-05-16, 05:36 PM
There is no such thing as mutant power of precognition, citizen, get back to your fun. Please fill Form DIv/408 and then refer to your nearest termination booth for termina re-education. Have a nice daycycle!

DontEatRawHagis
2011-05-19, 09:38 PM

Ultraviolet Clearance only:

You dont have to write a portal themed Paranoia game. You give them the portal gun and watch as they back stab each other for it. Mwhahaha.

This is how I run all my games, does not matter what the mission is R&D will f*ck you over.

Ultraviolet Clearance only:
You are not ultraviolet clearance. *Zap* *Zap*
All hail, Friend Computer