PDA

View Full Version : Fliudity problems: a comparison of old an' 3.5

flare X2
2011-05-12, 01:52 PM
Not sure which version the old one was (published by TSR if it helps) but it ran much smoother (combat and otherwise), how could i implement this smoothicity into 3.5?

evirus
2011-05-12, 01:56 PM
Not sure which version the old one was (published by TSR if it helps) but it ran much smoother (combat and otherwise), how could i implement this smoothicity into 3.5?

Define "Smoothicity" please. What are you trying to accomplish?

flare X2
2011-05-12, 02:03 PM
The system I was playing ran much more smoother with rolls taking shorter laess variables to deal with etc. resulting in people paying attention whilst 3.5's combat is a bit more... stagering.

Eldan
2011-05-12, 02:07 PM
Play the old edition again?

Really, having tons of powers, rules and modifiers is kinda intrinsic to 3.5. I mean, you could do stuff like cutting half of every class' powers, and removing feats and skills, but you'd arrive at something that really isn't 3.5 anymore.

flare X2
2011-05-12, 02:11 PM
I'm DMing so system change not to good an idea. also, considering fixed damage (aprox 50 percent)

Jude_H
2011-05-12, 02:24 PM
Why does DMing mean you can't switch games?

ericgrau
2011-05-12, 02:38 PM
Apparently you haven't played with 2e optional rules and extra books. I'd simply play a low level 3.5 campaign with limited books. Avoid complicated things like summons if possible, or force players to figure out the stats before the session, and make sure players are always ready on their turn either via verbal encouragement or penalties like making them hold their action. If you trust the group then posting monster AC & SR publicly and having PCs pre-roll attacks saves time too.

Thrawn183
2011-05-12, 07:03 PM
There are a lot of things you can do. A fireball doesn't take very long. A full round attacker? Have iterations fully fleshed out. I have entries for PA of 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20 (when applicable) for every melee character I play. It's my responsibility to be ready to GO when my turn comes up. I don't get to just say, "Ooops, I'm power attacking. Let me recalculate my attack and damage bonii."

Basically, lots of people get away with wasting time because no one calls them out on it. This is really frustrating because most people could cut the amount of time their turns take in half pretty easily.

Grendus
2011-05-12, 07:12 PM
Make your players keep something like a MythWeavers-style character sheet. Don't give them exp and scrap the exp cost for crafting (exp is a river anyways, right?). Whenever it's appropriate, tell them they leveled up and to update their online sheets and print out a new one (as a bonus, if they forget their sheet, you can print off a new one, and if they forget to update pre-game, they get to stay at their current level for the game). Minor updates from getting new gear can be added to the sheet easily enough.

As with a lot of things, you can save a ton of time if you can cut out the little things that get in your way.

LibraryOgre
2011-05-13, 01:29 PM

Truthfully, I'd grab Castles and Crusades.

C&C uses the ascending AC and single-roll resolution that 3e was so popular for, but tends to decrease the numbers of variables on any given roll. You CAN easily import things from 3.5 into C&C... I'm using a sort of fly-by-night version of the Attacks of Opportunity rules... but you don't have to, and you have a lot of wiggle room.

Knaight
2011-05-13, 01:33 PM
I'd ditch D&D entirely, and never look back. Savage Worlds is, for all of its flaws* a good transition system away from D&D, and if smoother and faster is the goal it is away from D&D one wants. Moreover, converting characters to Savage Worlds should be pretty basic.

*And there are a lot of them.

Cyrion
2011-05-13, 03:14 PM
There are a lot of things you can do. A fireball doesn't take very long. A full round attacker? Have iterations fully fleshed out. I have entries for PA of 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20 (when applicable) for every melee character I play. It's my responsibility to be ready to GO when my turn comes up. I don't get to just say, "Ooops, I'm power attacking. Let me recalculate my attack and damage bonii."

Basically, lots of people get away with wasting time because no one calls them out on it. This is really frustrating because most people could cut the amount of time their turns take in half pretty easily.

+1

At the very least, they should have a melee and a ranged attack number that includes all of their "permanent" bonuses- BAB, Str or Dex, + of weapon, etc. so that then they just have to add in situational bonuses.

I would also hope that as people got more familiar with their characters and the system that they'd speed up because they know their favored enemy bonus, what they like to power attack for, etc.