PDA

View Full Version : What does the Spell Compendium cover?

Callista
2011-05-12, 02:48 PM
The Spell Compendium republishes spells from other books, right? Which ones? Does it contain all the spells from those books or just some?

Thanks...

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-12, 05:17 PM
The Spell Compendium republished most (if not all) of the spells found in the Complete series made before it. It also updates a lot of various Forgotten Realms spells from 3.0, but by no means covers all of them.

I believe it may have a few things from various Dragon magazines, as well, but I am far from certain.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-12, 05:32 PM
Right here. (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/spells)

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-12, 05:57 PM
Right here. (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/spells)

That doesn't say where any of the spells originally came from, though. :smallconfused:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-12, 06:21 PM
That doesn't say where any of the spells originally came from, though. :smallconfused:

True, but if they're in SC then that printing supersedes anything prior, so it doesn't really matter where it originally came from or what the spell originally did.

Etrivar
2011-05-12, 06:28 PM
First off; no it doesn't have all the completes. It's missing Complete Arcane (don't try and think about why in the world that would be for more than two minutes at a time or your head will go numb :smallfurious:)

And at the end of the SC, there is a list of where they pulled the spells from, but it doesn't ever say which spells come from which source.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-12, 06:29 PM
True, but if they're in SC then that printing supersedes anything prior, so it doesn't really matter where it originally came from or what the spell originally did.

I think he's looking to know the range of what the Spell Compendium covers so that he knows which books to not bother with when looking for spells that are not in the Spell Compendium.

I happen to be doing so myself--looking for sources of spells that do not exist in Player's Handbook, Player's Handbook II or Spell Compendium.

Callista
2011-05-12, 06:36 PM
I think he's looking to know the range of what the Spell Compendium covers so that he knows which books to not bother with when looking for spells that are not in the Spell Compendium.Exactly. It's kind of annoying not to know which books to leave out, and I'm playing a high-level wizard right now, with a character theme to uphold on top of that so I can't just make standardized choices--I've got a heck of a lot of stuff to look through.

Axinian
2011-05-12, 06:41 PM
First off; no it doesn't have all the completes. It's missing Complete Arcane (don't try and think about why in the world that would be for more than two minutes at a time or your head will go numb :smallfurious:)

The Orb spells are in it. Those are from Complete Arcane.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-12, 06:49 PM

Every level 1 spell in Complete Arcane is in Spell Compendium unchanged, as far as I can see. However, the very first spell listed in level 2 (the Conjuration spell Blades of Fire) is not in the Spell Compendium, and the third spell (the Illusion spell Phantasm Assailants) is drastically different--in the Complete Arcane, the spell does 4 points of DEX and WIS damage each, but in the Spell Compendium it does 8.

Definitely flip through Complete Arcane just to be sure you don't miss anything golden. Use Spell Compendium for any repeat entries, though, as they are definitely updated.

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-13, 07:23 AM

Except for the part where the OP is asking which books are covered by the Spell Compendium.... :smallconfused::smallsigh:

Allanimal
2011-05-13, 07:58 AM
the Conjuration spell Blades of Fire is not in the Spell Compendium

I can't say for certain in this case, because I am away from my books, but many spells got renamed when put into the SC. There is a list of the before & after names at the beginning of the SC. Could this be one of those renamed spells?

Ernir
2011-05-13, 08:06 AM
Page 285 of the Spell Compendium lists the sources it draws from.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-13, 09:26 AM
However, the very first spell listed in level 2 (the Conjuration spell Blades of Fire) is not in the Spell Compendium
Please check again. Blades of Fire is on page 31 of Spell Compendium.

, and the third spell (the Illusion spell Phantasm Assailants) is drastically different
Yes, that spell was revised, along with many others.

The spells from Complete Arcane that weren't reprinted in Spell Compendium are the ones that are only for non-core classes. So all the Assassin/Bard/Cleric ... spells are there, but none of the Wu Jen spells except those that are also for core classes. (And the Wu Jen tags are completely missing.)

Etrivar
2011-05-13, 09:31 AM

I apologize. Complete Mage is what it's missing (which makes just as little sense).

Curmudgeon
2011-05-13, 09:35 AM
I apologize. Complete Mage is what it's missing (which makes just as little sense).
Spell Compendium had its first printing in 2005 December. Complete Mage was first printed in 2006 October. Operating under the assumption that Wizards of the Coast has no time travel capabilities, this makes plenty of sense.

Etrivar
2011-05-13, 09:44 AM
Spell Compendium had its first printing in 2005 December. Complete Mage was first printed in 2006 October. Operating under the assumption that Wizards of the Coast has no time travel capabilities, this makes plenty of sense.

Stop making sense! I'm trying to wallow in frustration here!

This is only so irritating to me because I'm playing a sorcerer that has to be 100% core. the only other book I'm allowed to use is the SC, which doesn't have the CM spells, which frustrates the heck outa me, cuz there are a whole bunch of spells in CM that I want for flavor reasons.

Feytalist
2011-05-13, 09:46 AM
So, just to get this topic back on track, if you have the SC, PHB1 and PHB2 and CM, you are pretty much covered with regards to spells?

What about BoVD, BoED, FF etc? Are those spells in the SC as well?

Etrivar
2011-05-13, 09:49 AM
So, just to get this topic back on track, if you have the SC, PHB1 and PHB2 and CM, you are pretty much covered with regards to spells?

Mostly, yep.

What about BoVD, BoED, FF etc? Are those spells in the SC as well?

No, it does not have those.

Allanimal
2011-05-13, 09:51 AM

That includes lots of spells, but anything printed after Dec 2005 is not in it. Complete Scoundrel, for example.

Asheram
2011-05-13, 10:37 AM
When I started up a Wizard, I made an actual list of Wizard-Sorcerer spells from every relevant book that we'd play with. (PH,PH2, Sandstorm, All completes except psionic and Spell compendium)

Now, As far as it comes to Spell compendium, Every Wizard-Sorcerer spell that appears in the complete books. (Except Complete Mage and some from Complete Divine) exists in Spell compendium as well as some new ones, I believe.

eepop
2011-05-13, 12:53 PM
Complete Champion also has spells not in the spell compendium.