PDA

View Full Version : Inherited

GFawkes
2011-05-12, 02:51 PM
The party recently met each other as they entered the city of Orulna, one of the major trading hubs on the continent. While the market fills the first district of the city, there is plently more to do. Rumors of bandits on the roads are nearly always heard, but there is more information for those who search.

Lyndworm
2011-05-12, 03:14 PM
"It really is quite nice, my friend, but it's a little out of my price range. Thanks anyway. Whoever does buy it will have made a good choice." Turning down an emerald ring, Piegri returns to wandering through the markets, stopping for anything pretty that catches his eye but also searching for cheap scrolls.

Trodon
2011-05-12, 03:39 PM
Armand looks from one shop to the other with a glazed look in his eyes. He obviously isn't paying any attention to the wares but thinking, trying to discern what his next step will be to immortality. He steps into the store with Piegri. I must ask you something Piegri, you being the eldest and most likely the most intelligent of our present company, what do you know of undeath?" A slight sparkle appears in Armand's eye, then fades away.

Lyndworm
2011-05-12, 04:15 PM
The fire gnome pauses in his perusal to speak with the Armand. "I may be ancient by your standards, but there are those among my race that would consider me quite young indeed. I am only just old enough for it to be odd I haven't settled down, but I have no plans to do so in the near future. Nonetheless, I thank you for the compliment." Piegri stops to think about his answer before continuing. "In all honesty, though I am by no means a scholar, I know enough that it would likely benefit us both for you to be more specific in your questions. It is a complicated concept to explain in its entirety."

Trodon
2011-05-12, 07:54 PM
Armand shrugs. "Nothing in particular, just curious." Armand smiles. I'll have to do some researching on my own later.

Toliudar
2011-05-12, 08:13 PM
For now, the barrel-like dwarf stuck close with Caoimhe. She was still getting used to these human towns, and Dainty could certainly use a guide. Plus, Caoimhe had made clear her aversion to violence, so Dainty wanted to make doubly sure that such a lovely ideal be upheld. If need be, through the repeated application of her sap.

Dainty took a deep breath, and turned with a kind of wonder to Caoimhe.

"Really, it's astonishing, you know. Back home, you could tell whether the shift had changed by the smell in the tunnels. But here...people talk about the sights an' sounds of the city all the time, it seems, but it's the sheer variety of smells that astonish me."

She takes a follow-up sniff.

"You don't suppose that the smell of orc blood is fresh, do you?"

Vulaas
2011-05-12, 10:17 PM
Caoimhe takes a cursory sniff before her nose wrinkles, and the willowy aasimar nods.

"O-o-oh? I guess that my sense of smell isn't that good, compared to yours. All I can smell are the wares that the hawkers have, the lovely scent of cooking...Though, I don't know how they can stand to be around cooking meat."

She looks around, curious about the vendors.

"It's lovely here, though...All the people, so busy...I hope they're careful though..."

Vuann
2011-05-13, 12:28 AM
"Smells of the city? I've lived in them most of my life and the smells I remember aren't very pleasant. I would guess it depends on the city, but most tend to reek of waste and sewage... This one seems to be a bit more respectable though. Probably kept clean to attract more business to the market place."

Veshna continues walking with her companions barely noticing the vendors wares. She seems far more interested in the large crowd of people inhabiting the market district as if keeping a keen eye on would be thieves. Or perhaps finding an easy mark herself..

"Perhaps we should find some.. knowledgeable locals that might have some real information instead of idle rumors."

Toliudar
2011-05-15, 09:46 PM
"It's lovely here, though...All the people, so busy...I hope they're careful though..."

Dainty chuckled. As someone built like the proverbial bull, she was accustomed to being careful.

"Most people I meet think they're being careful. Dun mean they actually got a clue what to look for."

She lifts her head, sniffing the air.

"Huh. Might a been good to set a place to meet up later. Can you still see the others."

Toliudar
2011-06-11, 11:45 PM
With a gesture that suggests that the others are welcome to follow, Dainty moves among the stalls and shops, stopping when she locates the Magic Boot Shop. Stepping in, she takes a look around for any bargains.

GFawkes
2011-06-12, 12:19 PM
A gnome pops out from behind some of the shelves.

"Aye, miss. Anythin' I can help ye find?" he says in a bouncy voice. He seems over eager about something.

Toliudar
2011-06-12, 06:20 PM
Dainty smiles and begins a perusal of the shelves. She smiles over at the gnome.

"Do you have anything that guarantees traction? I need traction."

GFawkes
2011-06-12, 06:41 PM
"What ye need traction against? Gravity o' impact?"

Lyndworm
2011-06-12, 09:02 PM
Piegri waits outside the shop. The gnome has a vacant but pleased expression, appearing neither bored nor impatient.

Toliudar
2011-06-13, 05:10 PM
Dainty tilts her head, clearly not understanding.

"Um. Neither, really. Slippage. When you're charging down a slime-covered tunnel towards an ogre, it's useful to not trip and face-plant in the earth five feet in front of him."

GFawkes
2011-06-13, 07:25 PM
"Ah, then you'll be wantin' these." The gnome says, running to a nearby shelf and grabbing a pair of lightly colored slippers. "These are guaranteed to not have ye slip while runnin'."

Toliudar
2011-06-15, 01:07 PM
Dainty looks at the iron-toed and hob-nailed boots she was currently wearing. Then over at the slippers. Back to her boots, and to the slippers again. Twice, she seems about to speak, but hesitates. Finally, she says.

"Oh, what the hell."

Several undoing of buckles and unscrewing of bolts later, her squarish feet are ready, and slide hesitantly into the slippers. Experimentally, she takes a lap around the shop.

GFawkes
2011-06-15, 01:49 PM
"See, lass? Ye not be slippen with them on. Ye could even run up walls." The gnome smiles, almost excited at the possibility of a sale.

Toliudar
2011-06-15, 02:43 PM
Dainty looks down at the slippers, and back at the gnome with something approximating wonder. Or perhaps incredulity. The helmet made it harder to read her facial expression.

"Up walls? You mean, like, to get something down off of the ceiling?"

GFawkes
2011-06-15, 05:44 PM
"Aye! These be allowin' ye to walk anythin', regardless o' incline." The gnome smiles.

Toliudar
2011-06-15, 06:08 PM
Dainty gives out a rumbling grunt as her two dimensional worldview expands upward and outward for a moment.

"Huh. How much?"

GFawkes
2011-06-15, 06:18 PM
"Fer ye, a mere 20 thousand gold pieces." he replies.

Toliudar
2011-06-16, 12:18 AM
Dainty has almost enough presence of mind to act unimpressed by the figure. Almost. Settling comfortably up against the wall, she veeeery carefully removes the slippers.

"Well, that's very kind of you. Unfortunately, I'm about nineteen thousand short. Um...I don't suppose you know of any work around here? The kind of work that pays a bit better because only half of the people live to payday?"

GFawkes
2011-06-16, 10:00 AM
"Er, no. Thar be no kind of work aroun' here tha' could help ye, an' I am certanly na' tha gnome to offer it to ye." He replies.

Dainty ONLY

With a little effort, you know he's lying.

Toliudar
2011-06-16, 11:00 AM
Dainty nods companionably.

"No, no, of course not. But...maybe you know someone else around here who would know of such work? Especially in the interest of earning the gratitude of someone who hopes to become a loyal customer?"

GFawkes
2011-06-16, 03:36 PM
The gnome walks up to you and forces a note into your hand. "No, I dinnae know of anyone. Now I think ye best be leavin'."

Toliudar
2011-06-16, 04:06 PM
Dainty lowers her head, abashed.

"My apologies. I'll leave at once."

Closing her fist on the note, she slinks from the store, nodding to Veshna and Piegri, who had been waiting outside the whole time. She motions for them to follow as she looks for a secluded spot in which to read the message.

Toliudar
2011-06-16, 05:34 PM
Around the corner, Dainty's brow furrows as she tries to decipher the note. She offers it up to her companions, frustration creeping into her voice.

"Any of you got any idea what this might mean?"

The note:
Meet the contact at the edge of the housing area in fifteen minutes. Identify yourself with *Unknown Phrase*.

Lyndworm
2011-06-16, 05:58 PM
"I've no idea whatsoever, except that we should head to the edge of the housing area to find out. Who's in?" Piegri starts walking in that direction.

Vulaas
2011-06-23, 08:46 PM
Caohime

The Aasimar blinks, and looks around a bit dazed.

"I...I don't know about this. I don't know them, and this might be a bad idea. I better come along, though, in case it is. I'm sure I can help if it is."

GFawkes
2011-06-23, 09:20 PM
At the area where you are to meet, there is nothing but an upside down and worn out crate, surrounded with litter of all kinds.

Lyndworm
2011-06-24, 01:31 AM
Piegri approaches the crate calmly and attempts to flip it over.

GFawkes
2011-06-24, 11:09 PM
It flips easily, revealing a glass orb.

Lyndworm
2011-06-24, 11:11 PM
"Hey! Come check this out, guys." Piegri touches the orb, feeling its texture and temperature before picking it up.

Toliudar
2011-06-25, 12:19 AM
Dainty gives Piegri space and light to examine the sphere. She stands back to make sure that no one else seems to be either approaching or taking an inordinate interest in them.

GFawkes
2011-06-25, 05:08 PM
There aren't any people nearby, so you can't be watched.
The orb is cool to the touch, and as Piegri touches it she feels a mental ping in the back of her head.

Runuk the Ruthless has me under his protection plan. It's little more than extortion. He does this to all merchants. Help us. End of Message.

Lyndworm
2011-06-25, 09:28 PM
After beckoning Dainty over to feel the orb as well, Piegri asks "Do you feel up to taking an interest in this Runuk fellow? I think it sounds interesting, if nothing else. I don't suppose you'd know how to find him though, eh?"

Toliudar
2011-06-26, 02:42 AM
Dainty carefully lifts the orb to examine it - somewhat warned by Piegri's manner that something odd might happen. She shakes her head slowly in response to the question.

"My first time in town, I'm afraid. Plus. The only evidence we have that this Runuk fellow is actually doing anything bad is...an anonymous message left in a really fancy way under a box. Back at the clanhome, we'd call that 'uncorroborated evidence by a piece of glass'.

"But...the weired way that they left a message is our best shot. In order to make something like this, you've got to be good at magic, and good at glassblowing. I figure, we ask around for local glassblowers, and get them to tell us who made this magicked thingy. I'd feel a lot better at least knowing whose dirty work we were doing."

Lyndworm
2011-06-26, 12:53 PM
"A very good idea! Very well then, let's go find some glass blowers."

Toliudar
2011-06-26, 01:51 PM
Dainty, fearing that her thick gauntleted fingers would do something terrible to the glass ball, carefully hands it back to Piegri. She shrugs at her other two colleagues.

"Well, there's just the one sphere, so we might as well all stick together. Let's try this way first - judging by the smoke, there could be a glassblower in that area."

Vulaas and Trodon are both still active and posting on the boards. Shall I PM them to see if they're still interested in this game?

GFawkes
2011-06-27, 10:30 AM
Knowledge (Local) Checks:
Piegri: [roll0]
Dainty: [roll1]
Caoimhe: [roll2]

Piegri remembers seeing a glassblower on the way here.

Yes, that would help. And I think you all just used Bat-Deduction Skills to find a villain. 50 xp each, and a cookie.

Toliudar
2011-06-27, 12:26 PM
Dainty bows to Piegri's amazing powers of recollection, and follows her to the glassblower.