PDA

View Full Version : Magic item curiosity (wondrous items)

Phoenix10k
2011-05-12, 03:49 PM
Here's a question. Do magic items have to be constructed as specifically stated in the DMG or book from which they came?

Example: a monk wants to use Gauntlets of Ogre Power and retain his flurry of blows with his punches (he doesn't even want the extra Gauntlet damage). Keeping flavor and rules intact, is there any reason why this item can't be constructed as, say, Leather Handwraps of Ogre Power? Same slot, same effect, just a different material, right?

Oh, and no anti-monk commentary, please. Heard it all already.

tuesdayscoming
2011-05-12, 04:02 PM
There's no problem with this, IIRC. Strictly speaking, you'd be making a custom item, but using the guidelines in the SRD I believe it would come out to the same cost.

Note, though, that gauntlets function in all ways as if you were unarmed, except that you can now do lethal damage (which the monk can do anyways, right?). So really, the change from gauntlet to hand straps would be purely flavor, and I don't think any reasonable DM would have a problem with it.

Keld Denar
2011-05-12, 04:08 PM
Its just a stylistic change. No reason your Boots of Speed couldn't be say...Anklets of Speed, or Sandals of Speed, or even High Heels of Speed (when you want your butt to look good, but you still need to get where you're going).

There's a difference between "gauntlets" the weapon and "gauntlets" the magic item. Wearing full plate armor (comes with gauntlets) doesn't inhibit your character from wearing Gloves of Ogre Power.

Otherwise, simply use the rules in the MIC to add the bonus elsewhere. Waist also has Str affinity, so you could have a Belt of Ogre Power +2 just the same as Gauntlets. In fact, its kinda dumb that in 3.x, the +2 Str item is a different slot than the +4 and +6 STR items. This is a holdover from 2nd ed and older where Gauntlets of Ogre Power gave you 18(00) Str and Belts of Giant Str gave you 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24 Str fixed values, respectively, rather than bonuses.

Phoenix10k
2011-05-12, 04:20 PM
Perfect. Thanks a ton, guys.

Also the High Heels of Speed comment made me laugh my ass off. Thanks for that.

Keld Denar
2011-05-12, 04:28 PM
Its what I strive for...enlightenment with a side of humor.

Hey, it cracked me up writing it too, so we all win!

Lapak
2011-05-12, 04:44 PM
Otherwise, simply use the rules in the MIC to add the bonus elsewhere. Waist also has Str affinity, so you could have a Belt of Ogre Power +2 just the same as Gauntlets. In fact, its kinda dumb that in 3.x, the +2 Str item is a different slot than the +4 and +6 STR items. This is a holdover from 2nd ed and older where Gauntlets of Ogre Power gave you 18(00) Str and Belts of Giant Str gave you 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24 Str fixed values, respectively, rather than bonuses.Which in turn is probably a carry-over from the myths about Thor, who had both gauntlets and a belt to assist him with wielding his hammer. (And in keeping with this, IIRC the 1e/2e Hammer of Thunderbolts did require that a character be wearing both to unlock all its powers.)