PDA

View Full Version : The Vangard (3.5 Gestalt Base Class, Almost done!)

Chess435
2011-05-12, 04:25 PM
Notice: Before complaining that this class is overpowered, note the following: This class may only be played in a gestalt campaign, and each level taken in this class counts as both sides of your gestalt for that level. Think of it as a super-class. :smallwink:

The Vangard
(Name Change pending, as soon as I think of something better)

Hit Dice: D12
Skill Points per level: 4+Int Mod
Class Skills: Craft (Int), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Concentration (Con), and Martial Lore (Int)
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The vangard has proficiency in all simple and martial weapons, as well as all armor and shields. Yes, even that one.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fortitude|Reflex|Will|Class Features|{colsp=7}Spells Per Day|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known|AC Bonus
-|-|-|-|-|-|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|-|-|-|
1|+1|+2|+0|+2|Defensive Stance 1/day AC Bonus|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|2|1|0|+1
2|+2|+3|+0|+3|Indomitable|3|0|-|-|-|-|-|2|2|0|+1
3|+3|+3|+1|+3|Withstand Assault, Defensive Stance 2/day|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|3|2|1|+2
4|+4|+4|+1|+4|Stability, Improved Toughness, Armored Grace|3|2|0|-|-|-|-|3|2|1|+2
5|+5|+4|+1|+4|Mobile Defense, Disease Immunity|3|3|1|-|-|-|-|4|2|1|+2
6|+6|+5|+2|+5|Holding the Line, Mettle, Defensive Stance 3/day|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|4|2|1|+3
7|+7|+5|+2|+5|Stop In Their Tracks|3|3|2|0|-|-|-|5|2|1|+3
8|+8|+6|+2|+6|Shield Friends, Improved Toughness|3|3|3|1|-|-|-|5|3|2|+3
9|+9|+6|+3|+6|Poison Immunity, Defensive Stance 4/day, Spellward|3|3|3|2|-|-|-|6|3|2|+4
10|+10|+7|+3|+7|Slippery Mind, Greater Defensive Stance|3|3|3|2|0|-|-|6|3|2|+4
11|+11|+7|+3|+7|Improved Mettle, Immunity to Death Effects|3|3|3|3|1|-|-|6|4|2|+4
12|+12|+8|+4|+8|Aura of Warding, Improved Toughness, Defensive Stance 5/day|3|3|3|3|2|-|-|7|4|2|+5
13|+13|+8|+4|+8|It's only a flesh Wound!|3|3|3|3|2|0|-|7|4|2|+5
14|+14|+9|+4|+9|Improved Stability, I shall not be hindered!|4|3|3|3|3|1|-|8|4|2|+5
15|+15|+9|+5|+9|By Crom!, Greater Mobile Defense, Defensive Stance 6/day|4|4|3|3|3|2|-|9|4|2|+6
16|+16|+10|+5|+10|Rapid Recovery, Tireless Defense, Improved Toughness|4|4|4|3|3|2|0|9|4|3|+6
17|+17|+10|+5|+10|Even the Odds, Defensive Roll|4|4|4|4|3|3|1|10|4|3|+6
18|+18|+11|+6|+11|You Shall Not Pass!, Defensive Stance 7/day|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|10|5|3|+7
19|+19|+11|+6|+11|My Death Shall Not Be In Vain|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|11|5|3|+7
20|+20|+12|+6|+12|Improved Toughness, Last Stand, Mighty Defensive Stance|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|11|6|3|+7 [/table]

Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th
1|4|-|-|-|-|-|-
2|5|2|-|-|-|-|-
3|6|3|-|-|-|-|-
4|6|3|2|-|-|-|-
5|6|4|3|-|-|-|-
6|6|4|3|-|-|-|-
7|6|4|4|2|-|-|-
8|6|4|4|3|-|-|-
9|6|4|4|3|-|-|-
10|6|4|4|4|2|-|-
11|6|4|4|4|3|-|-
12|6|4|4|4|3|-|-
13|6|4|4|4|4|2|-
14|6|4|4|4|4|3|-
15|6|4|4|4|4|3|-
16|6|5|4|4|4|4|2
17|6|5|5|4|4|4|3
18|6|5|5|5|4|4|3
19|6|5|5|5|5|4|4
20|6|5|5|5|5|5|4[/table]

Spells: A Vangard spontaneuosly casts arcane spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list. The Vangard's primary casting stat is intelligence, for determining both bonus spells and save DC's. Unlike other Arcane casters, the Vangard uses no somatic components for their spellcasting, negating any chance of spell failure due to armor. I'm pretty sure you can figure out the rest. :smallwink:

Maneuvers: A Vangard uses martial maneuvers from the Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, White Raven, and Stone Dragon disciplines, using Intelligence to determine save DC's. They recover maneuvers in the same fashion as warblades.

AC Bonus (Ex): The Vangard gets the listed bonus in the right-hand column as a dodge bonus to AC.

Defensive Stance (Ex): During his turn, a vangard enter a defensive stance. In this state, they cannot move without breaking the stance. They gain a +2 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, a +2 resistance bonus to all saving throws, and a +4 dodge bonus to AC. This state lasts for a maximum of 3 + improved Con modifier. When this state ends, the vangard takes a -2 penalty to strength for the rest of the encounter. (Note: When the Vangard gains the ability to use martial stances, they can use this and one of those at the sane time)

Indomitable (Ex): When a 2nd level Vangard takes damage from any source, mundane or magical, they take one less damage. This stacks with similar abilities, such as damage reduction and energy resistance. This reduction increases by 1 at 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th level, as well as every level thereafter, to a maximum of 15 at 20th level.

Withstand Assault (Ex): At 3rd level, a Vangard adds his Constitution modifier to his saving throws.

Improved Toughness: A Vangard gains Improved Toughness as a bonus feat at 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter.

Stability (Ex): At 4th level, a Vangard gains a +4 bonus to resist bull rushes and trips. This stacks with similar bonuses, such as a dwarf's stability.

Armored Grace (Ex): At 4th level, a Vangard reduces the armor check penalty for all armor he wears by 1. In addition, the max Dex bonus for all armor increases by 1. This ability increases by 1 every 3 levels thereafter, to a maximum of 6 at 19th.

Mobile Defense (Ex): At 5th level, a Vangard can move 5 feet per round without breaking his defensive stance.

Disease Immunity (Ex): At 5th level, a Vangard also gains immunity to normal and supernatural disease.

Holding the Line (Ex): A Vangard gains Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat at 6th level. (If they already have it, they may choose another) In addition the DC required to tumble past the Vangard increases by his class level.

Mettle (Ex): At 6th level makes a Fortitude or Will save that would normally have a partial effect on a sucessful save, they instead are unaffected.

Stop in Their Tracks (Ex): At 7th level, if anyone charges through the Vangard's threatened space, he may make attack of opportunity, even if the charger has a feat or ability that would normally prevent it. If the attack hits, the charge immeadiately ends, and the charger may not make any attacks during their turn. Screw you, uberchargers!

Shield Friends (Ex): At 8th level, a Vangard grants his shield bonus to AC to all adjacent allies.

Poison Immunity (Ex): At 9th level, a Vangard gains immunity to poison.

Spellward (Su): Also at 9th level, a Vangard gains Spell Resistance equal to their class level + 15

Slippery Mind (Ex): At 10th level, if the Vangard fails a saving throw vs. a mind-affecting ability, they may make an additional save the next round.

Greater Defensive Stance (Ex): Also at 10th level, a Vangard's defensive stance bonuses increase to +3 strength, +6 constitution, +6 AC, and +3 resistance to all saving throws.

Improved Mettle (Ex): At 11th level, this works like mettle, but the Vangard still gets the partial effect on a failed save.

Immunity to Death Effects (Ex): Also at 11th level, a Vangard gains immunity to death effects and death by massive damage.

Aura of Warding (Su): If an ally within 100 feet of a 12th level Vangard takes damage, he may choose to take 1/2 the damage for that ally, as per the shield other spell. The Vangard's Indomitable ability applies to his damage.

It's Only a Flesh Wound! (Ex): At 13th level, the threshold at which the Vangard dies changes from -10 HP to -(2x Con score) HP. In addition, he gains Diehard as a bonus feat.

Improved Stability (Ex): At 14th level, the Vangard's stability bonus increases by an additional +4.

I shall not be hindered! (Su): Also at 14th level, the Vangard gains a constant Freedom of Movment effect.

By Crom! (Ex): At 15th level, once per minute as a free action, the Vangard may gain the benefits of an Iron Heart Surge.

Greater Mobile Defense (Ex): Also at 15th level, the Vangard may move up to half his speed each round without breaking his defensive stance.

Rapid Recovery (Ex): At 16th level, the Vangard gains fast healing 1.

Tireless Defense (Ex): Also at 16th level, the Vangard no longer takes a strength penalty after ending his defensive stance.

Even the Odds (Ex): At 17th level, the Vangard gets a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls for every enemy adjacent to him beyond the first.

Defensive Roll (Ex): Also at 17th level, if an attack would reduce the Vangard to 0 or less HP, he may make a Reflex save. (DC = Damage) If sucessful, the attack is negated. This may only be used once per day.

You Shall Not Pass! (Sp): At 18th level, once per day as a standard action, the Vangard may create a Prismatic wall or sphere with the following properties:
1. It does not harm allies, nor hinder their attacks.
2. On the Vangard's turn, it shoots 2 prismatic rays at an emeny within range. (Use the Vangard's BAB+Int Mod for the wall's attack bonus)

My Death Shall Not Be In Vain (Su): If a 19th level Vangard does manage to die, releases a 100-foot wave of energy in every direction. All dead allies gain the effects of a resurrection spell, while all living allies gain the effect of a Mass Heal, with the caster level being equal to the character's class level. Note that even if the Vangard is resurrected, he cannot use this ability twice in a 1-year period. This ability is unhindered by antimagic field or similar effects.

Mighty Defensive Stance (Ex): At 20th level, the Vangard's Defensive Stance bonuses increase to +4 Strength, +8 Constitution, +8 AC, and +4 to all saves.

Last Stand (Su): At 20th level, while in a defensive stance, a Vangard may choose to initiate his last stand as a free action. For the remainder of his stance, he gains the effects of a Transcend Mortality spell for the remainder of his stance, dying as normal at the end. This ability is unhindered by antimagic field and similar effects.

So, what do you think?

Hyudra
2011-05-12, 06:35 PM
Name possibilities to get you started:
Warden
Legionnaire
Defender
Interceptor
Vanguard
Soldier
Gallant
Templar
Errant
Cavalier
Champion

tzaan
2011-05-12, 07:11 PM
I vote Vanguard for the name. Chuck him up front and watch him get cut up...

oh, what? Sadism's a *bad* thing now?

Xzoltar
2011-05-12, 07:48 PM
Currently this seem so underpowered for a Gestalt game, bad save, low skill pts, low spellcasting... To be honest depending on the spell list it could even be fine as a "normal" class without taking the two side of your gestalt character... Will wait until you finish to comment more...

Dragon Elite
2011-05-12, 07:50 PM
If you require it to be gestalt, only make it one side.

Or give it a D20 HD.

Chess435
2011-05-13, 12:04 AM
Okay, I'm almost done, and I think you'll like my tasty capstone. :smallbiggrin:

I'll be finishing up this class tomorrow morning!

abyss54321
2011-05-13, 12:47 AM
Hmm... I prefer warden as the name actually, but that may just be
my fail talking.

Zaydos
2011-05-13, 12:58 AM
2nd level vanguard with money put into armor (battle-plate and extreme shield), 14 Con and 12 Dex.

AC: 26; 32 in defensive stance. Or in short Nat 20 to hit for CR 4 dragons (used dragons because they tend to be among the strongest creatures of any given CR) even if they take weapon focus.

That Con to AC in any armor is destroys the random number generator at low levels; you might want to cap it somehow.

Other than that it needs more maneuvers known/readied. It's defensive abilities might not match the game breaking effects of a properly optimized tier 1 or 2 caster but its defenses are second to none.

Even at Lv 20 it can expect a 61 AC before spells (+5 mithril heavy plate, +5 animated extreme shield, +5 amulet of natural armor, +5 deflection, +3 Dex, +8 Con, +1 Dusty Rose Ioun Stone). This means everything but dragons (very old gold dragon, ancient + everything else) and the tarrasque cannot hit you except on a natural 20 (your touch AC would be 48, only 13 less, assuming you got Ghost Ward on your armor and took 1 feat). On that note the tarrasque needs only 4 to hit you then a 9 (instead of 2), and a great wyrm white dragon needs a 15 while great wyrm gold needs a 10 (highest CR creature in the book too; CR 27). This increases to 70 in defensive stance meaning that only a great wyrm gold dragon and a tarrasque can hit you on less than a 20 (11/15 and 19 respectively). In other words your AC is "they miss".

They also get 3 of the best 4 disciplines (missing only White Raven which with a name like Vanguard seems the most natural discipline).

I'd say it would match a double tier 3 but not a tier 1/2 + a tier 3. Even so this is really 3 level class. Take the first 3 levels, get Con to AC + Con to saves and then go wizard and then Abjurant Champion (you lose 8 point of AC this way but they get a -4 to hit you in melee thanks to Greater Luminous Armor; so an age category or two lower dragons could theoretically hit you, if you don't shapechange into pit fiend making the AC moot and just meaning it's a +11 to all saves). You still get 9th level spells, albeit a little slowed, and you can take warblade or crusader on the other side to keep your combat ability up. You might could even work in Incanatrix 10.

Chess435
2011-05-13, 09:58 AM
I'll take off the Con to AC, and just do the listed bouns. Any other ideas out there for class features?

Other Changes: Added White Raven, added Armored Grace at 4th to deal with that pesky ACP.

Chess435
2011-05-13, 10:57 AM
Class Feature descriptions done, now all I need are class skills!

NeoSeraphi
2011-05-16, 04:14 PM
What? A super class with maneuveurs that can't throw up two stances at once?

(The free Iron Heart Surge is REALLY nice though)

I like it, though I hope you write an Extend feat for that Defensive Stance.

Also, I'm not sure from your wording so I'll just ask: Does the Defensive Stance occur automatically as soon as the vanguard is no longer flat-footed or does he activate it at will on his turn like rage? (You say, on his turn he enters, which implies no choice, so I'm asking)

Chess435
2011-05-19, 07:08 PM
It works like rage, he can enter it whenever he wants, as long as it's his turn.

Chess435
2011-06-10, 12:26 AM
Well, I finally got around to putting in the class skills, so now I can say that is class is now 100% complete!