PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Legend of Zelda:OoT

olejars
2011-05-12, 04:36 PM
I'm attempting to create Hyrule for my players but have hit a road block. I've got all the unigue OoT items statted out, but the enemies and bosses are what I'm stuck with, specifically Ganondorf. Any ideas?

Hazzardevil
2011-05-12, 04:40 PM
For Ganondorf I reckon he would be able to Wildshape into a massive Boar and Do body possesion/Switching, so for fighting him I reccomend you have him posses someone important who the party musn't kill.

tempestman
2011-05-12, 04:58 PM
I tried something like this once, but it fell through. For monsters I suggest reflavoring some D&D classics like these:

Stalfos- Karrnathi Skeletons (Eberron)
Moblin- Hobgoblins or Orcs, your pick.
Bokoblins (not technically OoT, but still a Zelda creature)- Goblins
Lizalfos- Lizardfolk
Dinolfos- Lizardfolk with fire breath weapon
Wolfos- Werewolf
Stalchilds- Small-sized standard skeletons
Gibdos- Mummies with a life-draining bite attack
ReDeads- Zombies with a life-draining bite attack
Poes- Ghosts
Skullkids- I took my main idea from the satyr in the Monster Manual, but made it smaller and humanoid

Those are what I could come up with off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

The Tygre
2011-05-13, 02:12 AM
Use the Iron Heroes rules variant, but lessen the restrictions on magic a little bit.

pinballchico
2011-05-13, 02:16 AM
Gannon needs greater mirror image for sure. Classic boss tactic.

Hazzardevil
2011-05-13, 02:31 AM
Helmosaur's are a classic zelda monster, I'm not sure how to stat them up though.

olejars
2011-05-13, 12:23 PM
Use the Iron Heroes rules variant, but lessen the restrictions on magic a little bit.

Not familiar with it, but I have changed the magic usage a bit. Even non spellcasters get a mana supply even though small.

Warrior Birdy
2011-05-13, 04:49 PM
I want to help with this! Here's the first bosses/mini-bosses I could think of, though you'd probably need to adjust a few things to make their CRs go up in ascending order...

Gohma: Monstrous Spider of Large or Huge size, with a few Tiny-size ones skittering around to be the larva.
King Dodongo: I know this is going to sound weird, but I think dragon turtle's stats would work. Just replace any aquatic references with lava. Use the touch AC for anyone who aims at its mouth while it's open. Dodongo dislikes touch attacks. :smalltongue:
Barinade: Ochre Jelly, with electric damage instead of acid.
Volvagia: Red dragon.
Morpha: Water elemental with Improved Grapple.
White Wolfos: Winter wolf.
Dead Hand: Mohrg?
Flare Dancer: ... a magmin with Haste?
Iron Knuckle: Iron Golem.
Twinrova: They could just as easily be human/orc/whatever sorceresses, but for extra fun/CR they could also be hags.
Bongo Bongo: ... I'm at a loss right now for anything appropriately creepy enough. Let me get back to you on him.
Ganondorf/Phantom Ganon: Hmm... Fighter/Sorcerer/Eldritch Knight? 3.5 warlock seems flavor-appropriate, but I entirely forget what they can do stat-wise, so. *shrugs* For Phantom Ganon use the same stats, but incorporeal- the PCs have to bat his magic missiles back at him to harm him.
Ganon: Hill Giant Dire Wereboar Hybrid Boar Form.

I'll throw more ideas at you if I think of more suitable stats. :smallbiggrin: This campaign sounds fun! Are any of the characters from the game itself going to show up, as either NPCs or PCs?

Also I was wondering what are you going to do with PCs using potential fourth-wall breaking tactics like, "I aim for Gohma's eye!" Or are you giving them a Navi in-game (poor souls) to tell them that sort of thing?
speaking of which, Navi would work as one of these (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1579)

Solaris
2011-05-13, 09:41 PM
I statted out Gohmas many moons ago. I took some liberties with them, but I removed most of those (such as all gohmas having gaze attacks, different castes of gohmas, and gohma queens having spellcasting and an alternate form) for this version. It's a few years old, though, so no guarantees as to the quality of the work - it should be reasonably sound, but I'll have to double-check the CRs.

Gohma Subtype: Gohmas are a race of aberrations descended of arachnids twisted, warped, and mutated by the taint of the netherworld. They are subterranean, with each colony ruled by a queen.
Traits: A gohma possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).
Darkvision.
Hive mind
Telepathy out to 100 feet.
+8 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks.
Immunity to sleep effects, fear, negative energy, and energy drain effects.
Taint scores equal to Cha + 2.
Gohmas do not sleep, eat or drink, but starve if removed from a source of taint. They do breathe.

Gohma Larva
Small (-1) Aberration (Gohma)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 feet (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural), 13 touch , 13 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-1
Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Gaze attack
Special Qualities: Darkvision, hive mind, telepathy 100 ft, immunities
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 2
Taint: Corruption 4, Depravity 4.
Skills: Jump +2, Spot +8, Search +5
Feats: Power Attack
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, brood (d4+1), or swarm (6d6+6)
Challenge Rating: 1/2 (1 if has gaze attack)
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 2-4 HD (Small), 5-6 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

This creature has an armored, bulbous body with two strong birdlike legs coming from either side and a tough black segmented carapace. It has no head, just a large bright reddish-orange eyeball with a black pupil in the center of its body. Eight tiny claws wave gently, arrayed in a circle around the eyeball.

Gohma larvae are found in service of a gohma queen. They prefer dark places, much like their queens, and draw nourishment from the taint that birthed them in the first place. Gohmas actually starve if cut off from taint.

Combat
Gohma larvae almost always attack by charging. They rarely, if ever, make use of their gaze attacks.
Darkvision (Ex): The gohma larva can negate concealment due to darkness (including total concealment). Darkvision is black and white only, but is otherwise like normal vision. A gohma larva can operate just fine with no light at all.
Gaze Attack (Su): Some gohma larvae have a gaze attack that functions like the spell cause fear. Affected creatures become frightened for 1d4 rounds unless they succeed on a DC 16 Will save, in which case they are merely shaken for 1 round. Creatures who successfully save against a gohma larva's gaze attack are not subject to its gaze attack for 24 hours. It has a range of 30 feet.
Hive Mind (Ex): All gohmas within 50 miles of their queen are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No gohma in a group is considered flanked unless all of them are.
Telepathy (Su): Gohmas can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.
Immunities (Ex): Gohmas are immune to sleep effects, fear, negative energy, and energy drain effects.
Skills: Gohmas have a +8 racial bonus to Spot and Search checks.

Queen Gohma
Huge Aberration (Gohma)
Hit Dice: 8d8+40 (76 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 feet (8 squares), climb 40 feet (8 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +10 natural), 11 touch, 18 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+21
Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d6+7)
Full Attack: 2 slams +13/+8 melee (2d6+7), 8 claws +8 (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Gaze attack, improved grab, constrict
Special Qualities: Darkvision, hive mind, telepathy 100 ft, immunities, DR 15/magic or good, regeneration 3, vulnerable eyeball
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +9
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 17, Con 20, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 15
Taint: Corruption 17, Depravity 17.
Skills: Jump +18 (11), Spot +17 (6), Listen +8 (5), Climb +17 (1), Hide +0 (5), Move Silently +8 (5)
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or brood (1d4 plus 6d4+6 gohma larvae)
Challenge Rating: 7 (this doesn't take the larvae into account)
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 9-14 (Huge), 14-18 (Gargantuan), 19+ (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: -

This monster truly deserves the moniker. Ten feet tall and sixteen feet wide, it has a wormlike dark grey body with a segmented black armor-like carapace running down the back. The body swells to a torso at the front, with a great red-orange eyeball on a stalk dominating the center and two segmented arms coming off of shoulders to either side of that. It has eight smaller claws at the bases of its shoulders which are bad enough, but the main claws on the arms look more than capable of tearing a man apart. The creature looks twisted and malformed, a corruption of the natural order.

Gohma queens are the huge, adult forms of the gohma larvae. Cunning and psychotically evil, they only desire to torment and kill living things. Like the gohma larvae, they draw nourishment from taint and starve if cut off from a source of taint. When a gohma queen dies, the gohma larvae take to fighting amongst themselves until only one is left. That gohma larva then grows to become the next gohma queen instead of dying.
Most of a gohma queen's time is spent laying eggs and plotting war against all living creatures. As gohma larvae are short-lived - only a d6+10 days - they don't generally have much to work with besides their own nigh-immortal and all but invincible selves.

Combat
The queen gohma is definitely a pain in the backside to fight. It likes to follow a general attack routine, one placing itself at little risk while it uses skirmisher tactics against its opponents. Because it is a smart monster, it will size up its opponents before attacking and generally try to get the drop on them - literally or figuratively. When in melee, it will take a couple of attacks to figure out how easy something is to hit before deciding to use Power Attack or Awesome Blow. The queen gohma is also fond of using its improved grab ability to snatch up a spellcaster or small target, carry them up to the roof of its cavern, and crush them to death while her larvae distract the caster's allies.
The queen gohma's natural weapons count as magic and evil-aligned for purposes of bypassing damage reduction.
Improved Grab (Ex): The queen gohma can immediately initiate a grapple attempt against a target struck in melee by her slam attack. If she succeeds and the target is one size smaller than her, the queen gohma can begin constricting.
Constrict (Ex): A target the queen gohma grapples with her improved grab ability is subject to 2d6+10 bludgeoning damage as she crushes it with her enormous pincer. She continues to deal this damage each round she beats her opponent's grapple check.
Darkvision (Ex): The queen gohma can negate concealment due to darkness (including total concealment). Darkvision is black and white only, but is otherwise like normal vision. A queen gohma can operate just fine with no light at all.
Gaze Attack (Su): As per the spell cause fear. Affected creatures become frightened for 1d4 rounds unless they succeed on a DC 16 Will save, in which case they are merely shaken for 1 round. Creatures who successfully save against a queen gohma's gaze attack are not subject to any other gohma's gaze attack for 24 hours. It has a range of 30 feet.
True Seeing (Su): Queen gohmas have a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level equal to the hit dice – 8th, for the standard).
Hive Mind (Ex): All gohmas within 50 miles of their queen are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No gohma in a group is considered flanked unless all of them are.
Telepathy (Su): Queen gohmas can communicate telepathically with any creature within 50 miles that has a language. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.
Immunities (Ex): Gohmas are immune to sleep effects, fear, negative energy, and energy drain effects.
Regeneration (Ex): The queen gohma treats all damage as nonlethal except for fire damage and damage caused by holy or blessed weapons. The queen regenerates 3 points of nonlethal damage each round.
Vulnerable Eyeball: The queen gohma's single eye can be attacked. It is treated as a small creature, has an AC of 14 (+1 size, +3 Dex), and a successful hit against it stuns (lose Dex bonus to AC, take -2 penalty to AC, can't take any actions) the queen gohma for 1d4+1 rounds. A critical hit against the eye blinds the queen gohma in addition to stunning. If the queen gohma is climbing at the time, it falls and takes appropriate falling damage - damage reduction does not reduce this damage. The queen gohma's damage reduction and regeneration also does not affect damage its eye takes.
Skills: Gohmas have a +8 racial bonus to Spot and Search checks.

Tactics Round-by-Round
The queen gohma is best suited to skirmishing combat in an underground lair. It generally has a good number of eggs on hand to provide larvae to wear down an opponent.
Round 1: The queen gohma drops down from the ceiling to size up the opposition through unenhanced claw attacks and uses its gaze attack on a fighter-type.
Round 2: The queen gohma beats on its foes this round, using Awesome Blow if reasonable.
Round 3: The queen gohma pulls back, climbing up the walls to dispatch 1d6+1 ripe eggs that hatch as they fall and land ready for battle.
Round 4: While her larvae take on the foes a bit, the queen gohma uses its gaze attack on a fighter-type and drops another 1d6+1 ripe eggs that hatch 1 round after falling. She uses spells if appropriate.
Round 5: The queen gohma returns to melee, dropping down from the ceiling and attacking as it sees fit.
Round 6: As Round 2. Cycle continues until combat ends. When the queen runs out of eggs (it can only drop six batches), it focuses on using its gaze attack instead while it's climbing around on the ceiling.

NineThePuma
2011-05-13, 10:40 PM
I statted out Gohmas many moons ago. I took some liberties with them, but I removed most of those (such as all gohmas having gaze attacks, different castes of gohmas, and gohma queens having spellcasting and an alternate form) for this version. It's a few years old, though, so no guarantees as to the quality of the work - it should be reasonably sound, but I'll have to double-check the CRs.

... Can I request that you PM me the full stuff?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-05-14, 02:07 AM
I'm attempting to create Hyrule for my players but have hit a road block. I've got all the unigue OoT items statted out, but the enemies and bosses are what I'm stuck with, specifically Ganondorf. Any ideas?

http://www.kobolds-keep.net/smoke/Zelda%20D20%20Sourcebook.pdf

Pages 196-219 for monsters, 186-190 for NPCs. This is probably the biggest repository you'll find online.

The Tygre
2011-05-14, 02:54 AM
http://www.kobolds-keep.net/smoke/Zelda%20D20%20Sourcebook.pdf

Pages 196-219 for monsters, 186-190 for NPCs. This is probably the biggest repository you'll find online.

Hairy balls of the gods, its beautiful. Throw in some Twilight Princess and I can die a happy man.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-05-14, 11:20 AM
Hairy balls of the gods, its beautiful. Throw in some Twilight Princess and I can die a happy man.

You'd have to start from scratch, the material is 3.0 and the team that originally wrote it disbanded. They released some fairly comprehensive 3.5 patch notes (which I still have mirrored,) but didn't get too far.

But yes, it would be neat to do the same project again for Pathfinder. Personally, I think that 4e does a much better job of interpreting most mainstream video games (and it's easier to work with as a homebrewer.)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-14, 11:37 AM
Ganondorf/Phantom Ganon: Hmm... Fighter/Sorcerer/Eldritch Knight? 3.5 warlock seems flavor-appropriate, but I entirely forget what they can do stat-wise, so. *shrugs* For Phantom Ganon use the same stats, but incorporeal- the PCs have to bat his magic missiles back at him to harm him.

I don't think there is a phantom Ganon. I think that's one of his servants. :smallconfused:

Morph Bark
2011-05-14, 11:46 AM

Ditto that! If it is Gohma, do want!

I don't think there is a phantom Ganon. I think that's one of his servants. :smallconfused:

Phantom Ganon indeed is someone seperate from Ganon.

Solaris
2011-05-14, 01:55 PM

Ditto that! If it is Gohma, do want!

There's really not much that's actually finished. Queenie casts as an eighth-level sorcerer (also bumping up the CR), and the gaze attack is a fear-causer with a Charisma-based DC. The other castes I'm looking at are basically just other gohmas from other games, like the original gohma (which is really just a giant spider recast as an aberration), baby gohma (spider swarms with gohma traits), the armagohma (damaging gaze attack), and the Wind Waker gohma (red half-dragon giant scorpion/centipede thing). I only wrapped up the Larvae and Queen 'cause those were from games I'd actually played; the rest are just paragraphs in my shorthand. I'll polish 'em up for y'all.