PDA

View Full Version : Any good undead forms for alter self?

veven
2011-05-12, 04:59 PM
One of my players is about to become a Necropolitan. Thus far he has made frequent use of Alter Self and he wanted to see if it still retains any utility as an undead. Since you can't take on the form of a templated creature that rules out plain ol' zombies and skeletons of swimming/flying/burrowing creatures.

Any one know of good movement forms or forms with good NA or anything else that may be useful?

Boci
2011-05-12, 05:01 PM
What books do you have access to and are you okay with using monsters from books you do not own?

Coidzor
2011-05-12, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately they were left out of the attempts at making even a rudimentary list... (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=343.0)

Only things I've seen so far have been shadows(in the hopes of getting incorporeality, which was contested anyway) and lacedons(+4 natural armor).

Part of the problem is that Undead are pretty bad about getting bloated in the HD department, so finding ones that are Low HD and worthwhile is a bit of an order...

veven
2011-05-12, 09:48 PM
As a group we have access to every non-setting specific book and quite a few that are setting specific.

After reading the description of alter self a dozen times we all came to an agreement that it would not grant incorporeality.

Endarire
2011-05-12, 11:57 PM
Shadows and Wraiths make things go "wuh" by a strict RAW reading. Your types and subtypes don't change. (Incorporeal) is a subtype neither gained nor lost via alter self.

Toliudar
2011-05-13, 12:37 AM
I couldn't find much, but here it is:

Desiccator (Libris Mortis) gives a reasonable strength and a 60' swim speed.
Raiment (Libris Mortis) offers great hiding considerations, since you look like clothing.
Skin Kite (Libris Mortis) gives fly 40'