PDA

View Full Version : Requesting an Elder Evil.

Parasyn
2011-05-12, 06:41 PM
I am requesting an elder evil for my upcoming campaign. All I need is the stats of the thing, I can make the lair, background, goals etc myself. I am thinking CR 18-22

Associated with rot and decay as well as the savagery of death this being should use the Horrid Blight sign (page 10 Elder Evils). The malefic property that best suits it in the book is Discord and Woe (page 15) but if you can make a better one feel free.

I am envisioning it being a big melee beast that has an array of rot related spell like abilities or attack options. But it must have a way to fly (or some other way to combat a wizard casting fly and just proceeding to slaughter it at leisure). the image I found that best suited what i was looking for was
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/rav/230.jpg
Good magic resistances are a must, my players like to over abuse wizards.

Also a beastie like this deserves a custom disease that the pcs actually have a chance of being hurt by (I find the ones in the dmg very weak). What I was thinking was slowly being turned into a hybrid of undead flesh and rotting plant matter (Template Anyone?) with rules like those of mummy rot but with a slightly higher CL check between 24-28.

Axinian
2011-05-12, 06:55 PM
Surely there's a better picture than Shambling Shell? How about Vulturous Zombie?
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/arcana300/AltArtVulturous_Orig.jpg

On that note, just giving it wings should be fine. If it uses magic to fly they'll just dispel it or something.

Atropus should be good for inspiration. The PC's should be severely weakened just by being near it. Living things within a pretty wide radius should just die if they have low hit dice.

Here's a thought. Whenever a weapon strikes it, it begins to rot away, and each successive it hastens the wasting. This would of course bypasss hardness. Creatures striking it with natural weapons would take some damage and have to save versus a negative level. Similarly, whenever a spell fails to overcome its SR, the caster loses an extra spell slot or two, as the concentrated atrophy applies even to the very magical forces that guide the universe.

Hope this helps a bit. Sorry that I don't have a whole lot of definite numbers.

Parasyn
2011-05-12, 07:08 PM
Surely there's a better picture than Shambling Shell? How about Vulturous Zombie?
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/arcana300/AltArtVulturous_Orig.jpg

On that note, just giving it wings should be fine. If it uses magic to fly they'll just dispel it or something.

Atropus should be good for inspiration. The PC's should be severely weakened just by being near it. Living things within a pretty wide radius should just die if they have low hit dice.

Here's a thought. Whenever a weapon strikes it, it begins to rot away, and each successive it hastens the wasting. This would of course bypasss hardness. Creatures striking it with natural weapons would take some damage and have to save versus a negative level. Similarly, whenever a spell fails to overcome its SR, the caster loses an extra spell slot or two, as the concentrated atrophy applies even to the very magical forces that guide the universe.

Hope this helps a bit. Sorry that I don't have a whole lot of definite numbers.

That image is definitely better and those are some really cool ideas, thanks a ton.

Axinian
2011-05-12, 07:22 PM
Just had another idea. What if, since it embodies decay and savagery, it too is wasting away? Its only goal would be to simply survive. Since its constantly rotting and wasting, it consumes everything it can at a horrifying rate to prevent itself from being reduced to nothing, and it doesn't intend to stop... ever.
/iknowyoujustsaidyouwouldhandlethissortofthingyours elf

The mechanical representation of this could be as such:
The disease you want doesn't have to be particularly debilitating to anything other than movement. It infects creatures, or rather "seeds" them, with Con drain and makes them hope that they have freedom of movement or they just get rooted to the spot. Then, the monstrosity just drops on top of them, instantly absorbing their form into its own and ripping them apart on the molecular level in a vain attempt to slow its own decay. It can do this without infecting creatures, but it would rather infect them first to reduce their Fort save, so that they can't resist being torn apart.

Kife
2011-05-12, 08:44 PM
I would cause it to decay magic as well. Any spell or ranged attack cast at it from beyond a certain range would half the damage as it rotted or withered away. Any spell that is save or die automatically saves if it is beyond that range. And anything within that aura suffers a -2 non-resistable penalty to 3 attributes at random. Also, all healing within the aura is half as effective.