PDA

View Full Version : What all gives Fast Healing pre-Epic?

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-12, 11:20 PM
Specifically, I'm looking for a source of fast healing that would work immediately after a last breath, so it can't require consciousness or items. Not losing caster levels is a plus.

Unfortunately, everything I can think of is Exalted, and that just won't do at all.

Eldariel
2011-05-12, 11:22 PM
Specifically, I'm looking for a source of fast healing that would work immediately after a last breath, so it can't require consciousness or items. Not losing caster levels is a plus.

Unfortunately, everything I can think of is Exalted, and that just won't do at all.

All the Vigor-spells; Mass Lesser Vigor & Vigorous Circle are legal targets for Persisting.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-12, 11:31 PM
Linky linky. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) It's about a third of the way down the page, and it's all in alphabetical order. Happy hunting!

Tvtyrant
2011-05-12, 11:33 PM
Half-troll does, as do a few other templates I believe. Other then that persisting Vigor seems your best bet. It is a tactic I use in Neverwinter Nights 2 pretty much constantly.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-12, 11:56 PM
All the Vigor-spells; Mass Lesser Vigor & Vigorous Circle are legal targets for Persisting.

That's actually really good, assuming I can get them on my list. Would a Persistent lesser vigor transfer over to the new body, though?

Linky linky. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) It's about a third of the way down the page, and it's all in alphabetical order. Happy hunting!

Thank you. My search fu is weak.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-13, 12:59 AM
That's actually really good, assuming I can get them on my list. Would a Persistent lesser vigor transfer over to the new body, though?
No, no spells would "transfer over". The "living creature touched" target of Lesser Vigor only applies to the body which was touched, not the newly created one. Spells check their target requirements only at the time of casting.

Fable Wright
2011-05-13, 01:03 AM
Also, the Draconic Aura(Vigor) feat gives you fast healing at below half health. As an added bonus, you can now do this at level 7, rather than wait for higher level spell slots to open up. Plus, the benefit extends to the whole party, if it matters.

Feytalist
2011-05-13, 01:36 AM
Also, Dragon Shaman's auras.

Hazzardevil
2011-05-13, 02:19 AM
If your willing to give up for CL and have an ability to change shape by being changeling or polymorph, then 5 levels of warshaper gives you fast healing/2, +4 bonus on str and con. And other CF's.

Morph Bark
2011-05-13, 03:51 AM
No, no spells would "transfer over". The "living creature touched" target of Lesser Vigor only applies to the body which was touched, not the newly created one. Spells check their target requirements only at the time of casting.

I'd rather say that it isn't because it is a new body, but because death causes buff spells to go away.

Unless of course you have a Contingent Spell ready that is the aforementioned Lesser Vigor to activate right after Last Breath.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-13, 08:47 AM
I'd rather say that it isn't because it is a new body, but because death causes buff spells to go away.
Sorry, but that's wrong. Again, the target is checked only at casting time. Unless the spell requires concentration, the duration is set and the effect just keeps going ─ even after death.

Alleran
2011-05-13, 08:51 AM
You could always find a vampire and convince it to turn you. Then get a permanent ring of... something. That spell in Lords of Darkness that lets you take no damage from sunlight.

On the other hand, then you'd have to deal with the LA +8, which is somewhat horrific.

Greenish
2011-05-13, 09:16 AM
Troll-Blooded might work for this purpose, though it's Regeneration, not Fast Healing.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-13, 09:57 AM

That's what I thought.

Also, the Draconic Aura(Vigor) feat gives you fast healing at below half health.

Doesn't work when you're unconscious. Draconic auras are normally my go-to for... well, almost anything, but they can't help me here.

Unless of course you have a Contingent Spell ready that is the aforementioned Lesser Vigor to activate right after Last Breath.

Contingent spells are body-dependent. They don't transfer with you.

It doesn't look like there's any option for what I'm trying to do, short of being Exalted. I had considered contingent mass cure light wounds, but it appears that only spells with a target of "you" are valid.

Morph Bark
2011-05-13, 09:59 AM
Sorry, but that's wrong. Again, the target is checked only at casting time. Unless the spell requires concentration, the duration is set and the effect just keeps going ─ even after death.

Even so, in case of Vigor, only living creatures can be affected. Once you die, you would no longer qualify, meaning the spell would go away.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-13, 10:01 AM
Even so, in case of Vigor, only living creatures can be affected. Once you die, you would no longer qualify, meaning the spell would go away.

Wouldn't that mean that it's just temporarily suppressed until you're not dead anymore?

Curmudgeon
2011-05-13, 10:21 AM
Even so, in case of Vigor, only living creatures can be affected.
Only living creatures are valid targets at spellcasting time.

Once you die, you would no longer qualify, meaning the spell would go away. Nope. The target qualifications are only checked at casting time; the spell keeps on going. The limitation is that fast healing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fastHealing) provides its benefit to a creature; when the target dies it becomes an object and thus doesn't get any healing ─ and yet the spell remains. If that corpse becomes a creature again the magic may continue, depending on the mechanism used. Raise Dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm), for instance, gives the target a 50% chance of keeping each spell upon being raised. Revivify (Spell Compendium, page 176) makes the target keep every one of its pre-death spells, including Vigor.

Moglorosh
2011-05-13, 10:28 AM
Raise Dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm), for instance, gives the target a 50% chance of keeping each spell upon being raised. Revivify (Spell Compendium, page 176) makes the target keep every one of its pre-death spells, including Vigor.

You're reading Raise Dead incorrectly. It's referring to prepared spells, not spells that were already active. I can't comment on Revivify because I don't have my books atm.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-13, 10:34 AM
You're reading Raise Dead incorrectly. It's referring to prepared spells, not spells that were already active.
Good catch. (It's early morning here and I'm afraid I'm not fully awake yet.) Raise Dead doesn't address ongoing spells. Revivify states that "the raised creature receives ... no loss of spells" but it's also referring to the Raise Dead mechanic, so again that doesn't address the issue.

Absent any specific mention that ongoing effects cease, they'll keep going.

Morph Bark
2011-05-13, 11:07 AM
Absent any specific mention that ongoing effects cease, they'll keep going.

Eh, make of it what you will, it at least isn't within RAW territory, as there is no RAW in this case.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-13, 11:40 AM
Eh, make of it what you will, it at least isn't within RAW territory, as there is no RAW in this case.
Of course there is.
Duration

A spell’s Duration entry tells you how long the magical energy of the spell lasts. That's the RAW. The only thing that matters afterwards is something that's described as affecting that spell. The target creature dying (becoming an object) or otherwise not meeting the casting requirements isn't material after the casting finishes. The RAW says the spell lasts for its duration, so it lasts for its duration.