PDA

View Full Version : Prestige classes that fit the deities

ZenGamer
2011-05-13, 09:37 AM
A campaign idea sees me trying to find a prestige class that best fits each of the deities listed below. This would be for a series of gestalt characters that would act as the avatars of their chosen deity. Some are rather straight-forward (such as the Hammer of Moradin), but others are proving to be difficult. I will present the matches that I have so far come up with, and I would like to hear anyones opinions as to what they would think would make good matches.

Bahamut: Platinum Knight (Draconomicon)
Boccob: Loremaster (DMG)
Corellon Larethian: Champion of Corellon Larethain (Races of the Wild)
Ehlonna: Queen of the Wild (Masters of the Wild)
Erythnul: Ravager (Complete Warrior)
Fharlanghn: Horizon Walker (DMG)
Garl Glittergold: Divine Trickster (Races of Stone)
Gruumsh: Eye of Gruumsh (Complete Warrior)
Heironeous: Shining Blade of Heironeous (Complete Divine)
Hextor: Blackguard (DMG)
Kord: Reaping Mauler (Complete Warrior)
Kurtulmak: Combat Trapsmith (Complete Scoundrel)
Lolth: Arachne (Faiths & Pantheons)
Moradin: Hammer of Moradin (PG to Faerun)
Nerull: Necrocarnate (Magic of Incarnum)
Obad-hai: Forest Master (Faiths & Pantheons)
Olidammara: Temple Raider of Olidammara (Complete Adventurer)
Pelor: Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine)
St. Cuthbert: Justiciar (Complete Warrior)
Tiamat: Talon of Tiamat (Draconomicon)
Vecna: NightCloak (Complete Divine web enhancement)
Wee Jas: Ruby Knight Vindiciator (Tome of Battle)
Yondalla: Halfling Outrider (Complete Warrior)

Gullintanni
2011-05-13, 09:39 AM
A campaign idea sees me trying to find a prestige class that best fits each of the deities listed below. This would be for a series of gestalt characters that would act as the avatars of their chosen deity. Some are rather straight-forward (such as the Hammer of Moradin), but others are proving to be difficult. I will present the matches that I have so far come up with, and I would like to hear anyones opinions as to what they would think would make good matches.

Bahamut: Platinum Knight (Draconomicon)
Boccob: Loremaster (DMG)
Corellon Larethian: Champion of Corellon Larethain (Races of the Wild)
Ehlonna: Queen of the Wild (Masters of the Wild)
Erythnul: Ravager (Complete Warrior)
Fharlanghn: Horizon Walker (DMG)
Garl Glittergold: Divine Trickster (Races of Stone)
Gruumsh: Eye of Gruumsh (Complete Warrior)
Heironeous: Shining Blade of Heironeous (Complete Divine)
Hextor: Blackguard (DMG)
Kord: Frenzied Berserker (Complete Warrior)
Kurtulmak: Combat Trapsmith (Complete Scoundrel)
Lolth: Arachne (Faiths & Pantheons)
Moradin: Hammer of Moradin (PG to Faerun)
Nerull: Necrocarnate (Magic of Incarnum)
Obad-hai: Forest Master (Faiths & Pantheons)
Olidammara: Temple Raider of Olidammara (Complete Adventurer)
Pelor: Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine)
St. Cuthbert: Evangelist (Complete Divine)
Tiamat: Talon of Tiamat (Draconomicon)
Vecna: Pale Master
Wee Jas: Ruby Knight Vindiciator (Tome of Battle)
Yondalla: Halfling Outrider (Complete Warrior)

Fixed Vecna for you. Master of Shrouds would also fit. Church Inquisitor is probably a better fit for St. Cuthbert IMO. You may also wish to look at Wayfarer Guides for Fharlanghn. You'd have to refluff them a little but they fit mechanically.

ZenGamer
2011-05-13, 10:03 AM
Ah Thank You! Pale Master fits nicely. The others are worth consideration as well.

Malimar
2011-05-13, 10:28 AM
I constructed a similar list for my campaign setting awhile back, as nothing more than recommendations to players and reminders to myself, phrased as "Followers of _____ are frequently _____s". (I am aware that my choice of sourcebooks is a little idiosyncratic). Here's what I came up with at the time; it looks to align fairly closely to your choices:

Antitheism: ur-priest (Complete Divine), defiant (Planar Handbook)
Al-Ishtus: vermin lord (Book of Vile Darkness)
Bahamut: paladin, platinum knight (Draconomicon), sacred warder of Bahamut (Draconomicon), vassal of Bahamut (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Blibdoolpoolp: inquisitor of the drowning goddess (Underdark), sea mother whip (Underdark)
Boccob: wizard, archivist (Heroes of Horror), mystic theurge (Dungeon Master's Guide)
Corellon Larethian: druid, elf paragon (Unearthed Arcana), arcane hierophant (Races of the Wild), champion of Corellon Larethian (Races of the Wild)
Deep Sashelas: wavekeeper (Stormwrack)
Eadro: wavekeeper (Stormwrack)
Ehlonna: druid, ranger, verdant lord (Masters of the Wild)
Elder Evils: refluffed thrall of Juiblex (Book of Vile Darkness)
Erythnul: barbarian, ravager (Complete Warrior), frenzied berserker (Complete Warrior)
Fharlanghn: monk, bloodhound (Masters of the Wild)
Garl Glittergold: artificer (Eberron Campaign Setting), gnome paragon (Unearthed Arcana), divine prankster (Races of Stone)
The Great Mother: ocular adept (Faiths and Pantheons)
Gruumsh: barbarian, orc warlord (Races of Faerun), orc paragon (Unearthed Arcana), eye of Gruumsh (Complete Warrior)
Heironeous: paladin, shining blade of Heironeous (Complete Divine), justiciar (Complete Warrior), consecrated harrier (Complete Divine)
Hextor: paladin of tyranny (Unearthed Arcana), blackguard (Dungeon Master's Guide)
Ilsensine: divine oracle (Complete Divine), mindbender (Complete Arcane)
Ishtishia: elemental warrior of water (Planar Handbook), elemental savant of water (Complete Arcane)
Kord: fighter, warpriest (Complete Divine), pious templar (Complete Divine)
Kurtulmak: sorcerer, kobold paragon (web enhancement), mystic theurge (Dungeon Master's Guide)
Lolth: arachne (Faiths and Pantheons), drow judicator (Underdark), drow paragon (Unearthed Arcana)
Maglubiyet: fighter, barbarian
Moradin: hammer of Moradin (Player's Guide to Faerun), dwarf paragon (Unearthed Arcana), dwarven defender (Dungeon Master's Guide), battlesmith (Races of Stone)
Nerull: dread necromancer (Heroes of Horror), true necromancer (Libris Mortis)
Obad-Hai: druid, verdant lord (Masters of the Wild), nature's warrior (Complete Warrior)
Olidammara: rogue, temple raider of Olidammara (Complete Divine), divine prankster (Races of Stone)
Pelor: paladin, radiant servant of Pelor (Complete Divine)
Procan: stormlord (Complete Divine), stormcaster (Stormwrack)
Sekolah: thunder guide (Explorer's Handbook)
St. Cuthbert: monk
Tiamat: talon of Tiamat (Draconomicon), unholy ravager of Tiamat (Draconomicon)
Valkur: swashbuckler (Complete Warrior), legendary captain (Stormwrack)
Vecna: wizard, archivist (Heroes of Horror), ninja (Complete Adventurer), master of shrouds (Libris Mortis), assassin (Dungeon Master's Guide)
Wee Jas: dread necromancer (Heroes of Horror), true necromancer (Libris Mortis)
Yeathan: scarlet corsair (Stormwrack), sea witch (Stormwrack)
Yondalla: halfling paragon (Unearthed Arcana), halfling outrider (Complete Warrior)

Talya
2011-05-13, 10:36 AM
I really don't like the Core Deities. They're missing several concepts that are in most polytheistic pantheons, and alignments on some are poorly thought out, too. The Pantheon is actually why I much prefer the Forgotten Realms to any other setting.

How would you replace Sharess, Red Knight, Sune, or Lurue in the core Pantheon?

On the other hand, even Faerun has a lack of oceanic deities. Umberlee's malevolence isn't enough...Must have more Gods!

Gullintanni
2011-05-13, 10:45 AM
The only places where I disagree with either list are on:

Kord: Kord is a Brawler in the Olympian sense. He's the ultimate competitor. As such, the Frenzied Berserker's tendency toward indiscriminate violence is a little over the top IMO. Frenzied Berserk might fit Erythnul, the god of Slaughter, a lot better. Kord is probably a Reaping Mauler from CW, if anything at all.

St. Cuthbert: Cuthbert isn't a Monk, or an Evangelist. It's not what he does. Cuthbert is a punisher of wicked deeds. In that regard, Church Inquisitor is the perfect fit. Church Inquisitors seek out corruption and punish those responsible for its spread. He is the embodiment of Law and Order. Technically speaking Wee Jas would also have Church Inquisitors...which brings me to the next spot on my list...

Wee Jas: While Death is in her portfolio, Wee Jas is a guardian of the dead. Her cult venerates the dead as sacred and generally speaking, abhors desecration of the fallen. That said, they will raise the dead as long as the dead are willing (For example, if one left a clause in one's will that read, 'raise me when I die so that my corpse can fight on to protect my ancestors graves'). Moreover; Wee Jas' cult will not, under any circumstances, Animate chaotic undead. The Stern Lady holds Law as the highest virtue, with a focus on Arcane magic. Dread Necromancer/True Necromancer definitely doesn't fit here. A martialist, IMO doesn't really fit her profile, but given that Ruby Knight Vindicator is explicitly a champion in her service, it's hard to argue the matter. Church Inquisitor though, with a de-emphasis on the "good" aspect of the class would fit her pretty well. I'd stick with RKV here. Master of Shrouds would fit her well though. Summoning is not the same as Animating the dead, and it fits the magic element of her portfolio pretty well.

ZenGamer
2011-05-13, 11:47 AM
Yea, I was having problems with finding a match for Kord and St. Cuthburt. I was too focused on him being the god of strength that I missed his "Brawler" title and the "patron of wrestlers" bit. With that in mind, I would agree that Reaping Mauler makes sense.

As for St. Cuthburt, I only chose Evangelist because it mentioned how bards that revered him could become powerful Evangelists. I could see it working in my head, but it was not the first image I saw when thinking of the god of retribution. With the suggestion of the Church Inquisitor, I re-looked over that class, and found that it could work well; kind of falls into "the truth will be revealed; judgement will be brought upon the guilty" idea.

Wee Jas was proving difficult as well until I found the Ruby Knight Vindicator.

Gullintanni
2011-05-13, 12:06 PM
Even the RKV doesn't really fit her portfolios but...like I said, it's a champion written specifically into her service. Square hole, meet square peg, as it were :smallamused:

That being said, I'm surprised and a little sad that Wee Jas doesn't have a more thematically appropriate PrC. She's always been a favorite of mine.

Ernir
2011-05-13, 12:12 PM
Vecna has a tentative connection to the Nightcloak, in the Complete Divine web enhancement (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a).

Gullintanni
2011-05-13, 12:18 PM
+1 to Nightcloak. Forgot that existed.

Though I still like Pale Master for the overt undead connection, and the undead prosthetics...Vecna, missing a hand and eye, might approve of such a thing. But Nightcloak definitely fits thematically.

Telonius
2011-05-13, 12:41 PM
St. Cuthbert: Bloodhound (CAdv) or Justiciar (CWar). Justiciar in particular calls out Clerics of St. Cuthbert as possible members of the PrC.

(EDIT: though it would be kind of silly for a Cleric to take it, since it doesn't advance casting, it would appeal followers of St. C. in general)

ZenGamer
2011-05-13, 12:58 PM
I had never heard of Nightcloak, but it seems to fit the Vecna really well, as suggested. Glad that was brought to my attention. I prefer this over Pale Master because, though Vecna often appears as a lich, his profile doesn't actually involve death.

As for Justiciar, this was yet another class I happen to overlook. I think i might prefer this over Church Inquisitor, as Inquisitor seems to deal more with corruption within the church, while the Justiciar deals with bringing criminals to justice.

Gullintanni
2011-05-13, 02:00 PM
As for Justiciar, this was yet another class I happen to overlook. I think i might prefer this over Church Inquisitor, as Inquisitor seems to deal more with corruption within the church, while the Justiciar deals with bringing criminals to justice.

Nah, Church Inquisitor isn't limited to events just within the Church. I think of them as the Inquisition of Warhammer 40K. They hunt anyone who offends the values of their order.

In one of my campaign settings, the Lawful order that governs the Inquisition, as it were, is called the Order of Red Vengeance. It's a collaborative organization for the followers of Cuthbert and Wee Jas. They protect the hierarchy of civilization, with Cuthberts Inquisitors serving in the courts, tax offices, prisons etc...while Wee Jas' Inquisitors investigate grave robberies, thefts of arcane documents etc.

Justiciar works for the non-cleric types though.