PDA

View Full Version : [Dnd 3.5e] Cavalry handbook?

Kaeso
2011-05-13, 03:24 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin: is there any kind of guide/handbook/etc. that deals with mounted combat in DnD 3.5e? If not, can some more experienced playgrounders give me some advice on what feats to take and avoid, what tactics to use etc.?

RaginChangeling
2011-05-13, 03:32 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin: is there any kind of guide/handbook/etc. that deals with mounted combat in DnD 3.5e? If not, can some more experienced playgrounders give me some advice on what feats to take and avoid, what tactics to use etc.?

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866958/Supermount!

The Supermount!

More seriously, most of the good mounted feats are in Core and most advice that applies to Charging applies while mounted. Get spirited Charge, a lance you use two handedly and stack some good stuff on it. Paladin can get you a decent mount, as can Druid and there are many good presitge classes that focus on mounts.

Best prestige classes

Ashworm Dragoon- Gives full attack when charging at later levels, lets you get burrow as well and can stack the mount with Paladin bonuses

Beast Master- Pumps up an animal companion, best kind of mount

Halfling Outrider- Can stack a Ranger/Druid companion with a Paladin mount progression, also gets full attack and some neat tricks

Beast Heart Adept- Gives access to some really neat mounts, Magical Beasts and Abberations

If you don't want to be a Ranger/Druid/Paladin,

Wild Cohort- Web enhancement article gives you an animal companion thats better than a Ranger ever gets, though worse than a Druid.

Dragon Cohort- Can give you a Dragon to ride, a bit more controversial than Wild Cohort.

If your mount has attack (Bear, Giant Eagle etc.) Have them take Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws) and Open Least Chakra (Hands) to give them pounce with natural weapons. Very nice for charging.

If you're small you can ride medium creatures basically anywhere, abuse this!

Give your companion some barding, past first level its really cheap and basically a few points of free AC. Maybe give them a Necklace of Natural Attacks at high level.

Gwendol
2011-05-13, 03:37 PM
Don't forget Cavalier and Kishi charger (OA) to stack up damage on lance charges.

Kaeso
2011-05-13, 05:01 PM
I see.
Just two final questions: is trampling considered a viable tactic when mounted?
And what should I do to get around the fact that you can't full attack on a charge? That greatly reduces my damage output.

Greenish
2011-05-13, 05:03 PM
Trampling isn't too effective, generally.

There are ways to gain movement & full attack while mounted, such as Wild Plains Outrider. Pounce might work, though given the state of mounted combat rules it's hard to say for certain. The other option is to stack static damage and damage multipliers on your lance charges.

Kaeso
2011-05-13, 05:07 PM
Trampling isn't too effective, generally.

Why not? A succesful trample knocks your opponent prone, allowing you to finish him/her/it off or to continue your charge (ride-by-attack) and let your party members mop up the remainders. That, and your mount gets a free hoof attack against trampled opponents.

Greenish
2011-05-13, 05:15 PM
Why not? A succesful trample knocks your opponent proneAh, you mean Overrun. Well, that takes a feat just so that you can actually do it even if the opponent doesn't want to be overrun, and relies on having a big, strong mount.

And even with the feat you provoke an AoO, and you can't attack on the round you do it.

See, you can't do an Overrun while charging, since overrun is a standard action performed during move action, and your mount can't use a full round action, a standard action and a move action at the same time, even if you managed to give it extra actions.

Kaeso
2011-05-13, 05:21 PM
Ah, you mean Overrun. Well, that takes a feat just so that you can actually do it even if the opponent doesn't want to be overrun, and relies on having a big, strong mount.

And even with the feat you provoke an AoO, and you can't attack on the round you do it.

See, you can't do an Overrun while charging, since overrun is a standard action performed during move action, and your mount can't use a full round action, a standard action and a move action at the same time, even if you managed to give it extra actions.

Mhh, yeah, that AoO is a shame. If it weren't for that I might actually consider it.

BTW, I know this is off topic but I just have to say that your avatar is pretty damned awesome.

Gwendol
2011-05-14, 01:56 AM
Both cavalier and kishi charger allows for full attack on your mounts move (but not charge). Trample can be useful if you have a really big mount, especially since if you have the right PrC you get to full attack prone opponents.

Sitzkrieg
2011-05-14, 01:04 PM
The Ashworm Dragoon specifically addresses some of those issues, such as granting you full attacks with regular movement and boosting the usefulness of overrun. With the Cavalry Charger feat from CW, you can make an overrun attempt against an unlimited number of opponents, get a hoof (or poison stinger from the Ashworm) attack against each of them, and force them to make a full-round action to stand up. See if you can get your Ashworm huge sized, and you'll be charging around on a 15x15 ft platform of debuffs and slaughter.

Seerow
2011-05-14, 01:07 PM
If you're looking at being a mounted combatant, you probably aren't looking at a dungeon-heavy campaign, but in case it comes up, there is a feat in Races of Stone that lets you negate squeezing penalties while mounted, which is pretty neat.

Seffbasilisk
2011-05-14, 01:17 PM
Valorous weapon enhancement doubles damage on a charge.

Put that on a lance (or if you want to go wacky crit-style, get a Lucerne hammer.)

Mounted combat, ride-by-attack, those style.

Give your mount the skill-trick twisted charge if you can, and pick up those horseshoes that let you run ABOVE the ground, so you don't have to worry about caltrops or terrain keeping you from charging.