PDA

View Full Version : 3.0/3.5: Scythe Weapon build.

Razgriez
2011-05-13, 03:39 PM
So, this is something I've been working on for a number of months now... and I'd like for you all to review my ideas here that I've laid out, in a pseudo-article style.

You see, I've gotten bored with Standard fighters lately. So I've been branching out on various ideas. .

So, an idea I've been wanting to play around with for a long time, being a "Pure" Fighter at heart, is a master at using the Scythe weapon from the PHB for a 3.0 and .5 game

So before we jump straight into focusing on the build... let's begin by looking at the weapon in question, in a bit of an "Xbox Ahoy!" CoD weapon guides style way (minus the fancy video, and charts, and graphs.. and the following on youtube)

So let's get started.
The Scythe, in real life
The Scythe, or to be more exact, the “War scythe” is a pole-arm weapon, adopted from farming version of the Scythe, used to harvest crops. Scythe type weapons and tools make appearance, as far back in history as ~500 B.C. , particularly on chariots, attached on their wheels,

In it's real life, pole weapon form, it actually takes a much different, appearance than compared to the common variety we see it in. Although the more familiar hooked blade extending out from the shaft, has been used in riots and uprising, the War Scythe appears more like a single edged glaive or fauchard, with it's blade portion upright, along the shaft. The weapon was used in several farmer's riots and uprising, up to the early 1900's, and was a particularly powerful weapon.

(Note, all info presumes a medium creature, such as a Human, as the user)
Scythes, as a weapon, on paper, and in basic practice:
The Scythe is Martial, two handed, melee weapon. In terms of base damage, for a medium sized user, it can deal a maximum of 8 damage, on par with great rolling from many of the one handed melee weapons, but thanks to it being a 2 dice damage weapon, means it has a minimal damage of at least 2, and a higher average damage, for that same medium creature. As a Two handed weapon, it also boost the STR modifier for damage by x1.5

It also packs a massive x4 Critical bonus, which on a Natural 20, and good second roll, will boost the damage up to a respectable and healthy 8d4 for an 8 to 32 damage with one attack, before all other modifiers. It's weight, is at a hefty 10 lbs, which may pose some problem to those with wings or other ways of flying, but considering the primary users of this weapon will probably be packing good Strength scores, the extra weight compared to other weapons, will hardly be a problem. And although often overlooked, it has the advantage of being able to deal Piercing OR Slashing damage with each attack, which may prove useful in some fights, and for some feats.

It also packs the useful "Trip attack weapon" bonus, allowing essentially a “Get out of jail free” card on botched trip attack rolls.

That said, it also packs some major flaws, especially when compared to other weapons of it's category.

In terms of base damage, the Scythe is outmatched by the High Risk, High Reward Great Axe (d12, x3 crit) the various Reach weapons such as the Glaive, and Guisarme (1d10 + special abilities), and the balanced, and powerful Great sword (2d6, 19-20 x2 Crit)

In terms of pure critical, the Falchion, while dealing similar base damage, and packing only a x2 critical, also features an 18-20 threat range. while's it' smaller, one handed Martial weapon cousin, the Scimitar, can also be paired with a shield, or a second weapon.

The Halberd, also packs similar special abilities, Multiple damage types, and a d10 with x3 crit. And while it's not taken often, the Heavy Flail provides similar damage, an improved critical range, a bludgeoning weapon, and packs not only the same Trip bonus as a scythe, but also a +2 to disarm attempts.

So with all these things going against it, why use a Scythe at all then? Simple. because in the right hands, and a focus on it's strong points, it can tip a situation into your favor

So now, we need to focus on the builds.
For this post, I'm limiting it to books and info I'm familiar with (Primarily PHB and PHB 2)
So let's look at the prime class candidates for this.
Barbarian: Tempting, but one major flaw: Lack of extra bonus feats. A pure Barbarian would more benefit from one of the "Safer" picks, such as the Great Sword or Axe

Fighter: Easily the best choice of this group, the fighter's open ended feat builds lends it self easily to maximizing the potential of the Scythe. Combine on top of this, some of the fighter only feats, such as the Weapon Specialization, and improved W. Focus and Spec. As an addition, PHB II offers the Mastery feats, and with Weapon Mastery (Slashing), you can get a bonus attack (granted, at a -5 for the primary, -10 for the bonus, or -5 to all attacks with a full attack action) with the Scythe,. A very nice addition for full attack actions against one target to compensate for the low damage out put.

Rogue: Even if done for only a quick dip for a few ability and feats, the Rogue brings a number of abilities and feats to the table that can add some very devastating attacks, particular any chance they can score a Sneak Attack bonus.

Knight (PHB 2): Bad Idea/Trap. As awesome as it may be to have Knight packing one of these. The knight is better off picking a Great Sword or Lance for it's High damage option, or a Sword and Shield for it's tanking roll. Plus, some of the builds for this idea, require speed to be critical, which means losing out on armor until higher levels And few Scythe wielding knight is going to last long with reduced AC if they happen to challenge the enemy packing magical weapons. Further more, you can't even really take advantage of the Trip bonus, as that alone, can be considered a “Dirty tactic” that goes against the Knight's required code of honor, and even if your DM doesn't do that, what you end up doing, is make your opponent safe from you, for at least a round, unless you don't mind risking violating the code.

Duskblade (PHB2): The Duskblade lends it self to fixing one of the key issues of the Scythe, the poor damage output. Plus with a decent spell list of Status buffs, and debuff spells, this lends it self pretty nice actually to the Duskblade. an Arcane Channeled Chill Touch into a weapon, can last up to 20 "Standard Action" single attacks. The one flaw of course, is bonus feats still.

Multi-Class options

Fighter/Barbarian: Just like with similar builds, Taking fighter as your main, and Barbarian as the secondary in multi class builds, adds raw power on top of the Bonus feats. A very potent physical focus build, with some of the Barbarians natural resistances to boot, Plus, Rage. There's something oddly amusing about the idea of a raging Scythe wielder tearing a bloody path across the battle field, that makes me giggle like a child inside, if only for the amount of carnage it can potentially cause.

Fighter/Duskblade: Another "half and Half" approach, Go to mid levels with the fighter to get the key feats, to boost physical damage, and then round out the upper levels with Duskblade to help out your arcane casters, and adding some basic debuff skills

Any/Rogue: As pointed out by Keld Denar, a quick 1 to 4 level dip into Rogue, unlocks a number of additional bonuses. Of key note is the feat "Craven" from Champions of Ruin, which when combined with the Scythe Critical, + SA, plus various basic modifiers, and a few other simple low level feats, will just pile on a massive amount of damage.

Prestige Classes:
It's very hard to find ones that can fully compliment a Scythe Wielder. That said, in 2 older books, there are some clear winners

First up, is the Templar, from Defenders of the Faith, a 3.0 splat book. Think basically a combat oriented Paladin... as a matter of fact, Paladins in your party may be interested in it. You'll get some bonus feats, divine spells, and an Enhanced defense, as well as Smite (or upgraded smite if you already have it) There is one catch though.... You can only enter it, if you use your deities favored weapon. Hope you like evil or Neutral alignments.

The other option, from Oriental adventures, is the Weapon Master. You'll gain many of the Required feats to max out the scythe anyways. Also, it adds further bonuses to Critical hits going so far as to extend your critical threat, by granting free Improved Critical with Ki Critical, or enhancing the effect, to add a further +2 if you already have Improved Critical.

In a 3.0 campaign, this class begins to really shine when you add on that the "Keen" effect does stack, and with Improved Crit, and Ki Critical the statistical likelihood for a critical becomes a 30% chance of a X4 threat).

Another additional bonus: Ki Whirlwind. As noted in the Feats section below, Whirlwind is a very tempting option to some Fighters. It also provides a decent substitute to most, if not all Cleave related feats.
Ki Whirlwind, firmly secures Whirlwind into your standard tactics, turning Whirlwind into a once per round Standard action attack, rather than Full round.
This means you remain mobile, and don't have to rely on taking down a opponent, to start chaining onto weaker enemies. Add on some Haste Enchantment, and you can run right into a large group of enemies, Whirlwind Attack, then attack the strongest target, all within one round. The best part? Since Spring Attack is a required feat, you can do all this, then use left over movement afterwards, to attempt moving into a better position

Attributes
So what should a user of a scythe focus on?
Strength: It may not pack the base damage numbers of other two handed weapons. But it's still a two handed weapon, Each bonus modifier is worth it's weight in gold for that x1.5 STR mod bonus on damage

Dexterity: As a scythe wielder, you need to get stuck in to the fight. Due to either class or equipment limitations, sometimes that extra Dex is going to be that life saver for you. Plus it's useful for some of the feats that eventually get you Whirlwind, if you want.

Intelligence: You're going to be focused on tactical fighting, not just straight raw power alone. Again, needed for feats, such as the Improved trip to boost the scythes strong points.

Constitution: Simple enough reason really, you're going to get stuck into melee. More HP

Suggested Feats:
Weapon Focus: Key to fighters for the Weapon mastery feats, Important for others, because you need to make each attack roll count.

Weapon Specialization, Greater W. Focus/W. Spec : If you're a fighter, and you don't have these, you're going to hurt your self in the long run.

Melee Weapon Mastery (3.5 only, PHBII) (Fighters only): It's another +2 bonus to Attack and damage rolls with your scythe, as long as you use it in the damage type that matches the Mastery you chose, and opens up another branch of feats, of note Slashing Fury or Driving Attack. It also opens up the 18th level Fighter only feat "Weapon Supremacy"

Improved Critical: You got a x4 critical, so shoot for it, and boost the threat chance to 10% rather than 5.
(3.0 campaigns ONLY) In 3.0 campaigns "Keen" enchantment, or a Magic weapon with the "Keen" effect, (As well as several magic items which bestow the effect to the weapon) does stack with the Improved Critical feat. So consider that factor as well when doing a Scythe build

(3.5 Campaigns) In 3.5, Keen and Improved. Crit do not stack. As such, it becomes a matter of choice on which you would rather have. My suggestion, would be that only Fighters may want to consider Improved Critical, as it's limited to one type of weapon you chose, and will save you some money to spend on magic gear. Other classes may instead, want to turn to magic oils/potions, items, or the magic weapon enhancement Keen instead.

Combat Expertise->Improved trip. If at the start of your attack, the enemy is still standing and you got a reasonable chance to trip him/her/it with your scythe, then go for it, trip them, and then get a free attack in on your now prone opponent.. This also gives you alternate form of helping the party, versus some creatures immune to Critical hits (such as undead)

Power Attack: Decent for any fighter, but with the 2 handed Scythe, the damage boost is doubled, allowing you to take a minor penalty for much more significant returns.

Whirlwind Attack (Fighters only): Due to the fact that you need 5 feat slots to learn this attack (A normal character only gains 7 Feat slots, through leveling, before racial/class bonuses in the standard 1 to 20 progression) Only a Fighter can really spare the feats, (Adding an additional 11 Feats by 20th level). It's a suitable alternative to the Cleave Feat, that will likely get you more use from it and if your into it, provides an anime style moment of awesome as you slice apart a bunch of mooks.

In closing, some Pros and cons I've noticed:

PROS:
-Interesting tactical melee combat build, that can add some support abilities in combat to Melee focused character
-Long term, rewarding build that eventually can deal massive amounts of damage.
-great role play potential, few characters, ever make use of the weapon.

CONS:
-Requires a long term investment in certain feat paths to get full potential
-Starts off slow, and outclassed by other choices at early levels
-Limited Prestige class options: very few Prestige classes, have abilities that can fully compliment a Scythe weapon build.
-Not new player friendly: Being a build that requires some more tactical feats, rather than passive stat boosting feats,

So thoughts, opinions, additional suggestions?

Keld Denar
2011-05-13, 03:58 PM
Couple things...

GENERALLY, for most things, a high threat - low multiplier weapon is preferable to a low threat - high multiplier weapon. The difference between x2 and x4 damage is often the difference between kill and overkill. If a 2x crit can often slay a foe, then a 4x crit is just overkill and you'd be best to look at expanding your crit range.

Also, you might want to touch on things that multiply with criticals. Dipping Rogue1 for the SA die, then taking the Craven feat from Champions of Ruin is very very very fun with crit oriented weapons. If you crit with a scythe while you qualify for SA, the SA damage doesn't get mulitplied, but the Craven damage does. Adding 4x your level extra damage is brutal. This is great on a mostly full BAB chassis with only a 1-4 level dip in Rogue. Other things that multiply are Power Attack, bonus damage from high Str, your enhancement bonus on the weapon, Smite damage, and static damage bonuses like Collision. For the most part, most Tome of Battle maneuvers don't multiply, but Moment of Perfect Mind (+100 damage) is static and would multiply, as would most of the charging maneuvers in White Raven. Avoid reliance on variable damage bonuses like Sneak Attack, Skirmish, Flaming weapons, etc, since they never multiply.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while criting is fun, it shouldn't be the central point of the build. Lots of things like Plants, Elementals, Undead, Constructs, Wizards, and anyone with Fortification is are all immune to your primary tactic. Its best to have a 2ndary tactic as well.

Lastly, Improved Critical and Keen weapons don't stack anymore with 3.5. Sorry. Disciple of Dispater (BoVD) would still kinda work, given that it has no real update in 3.5.

Axinian
2011-05-13, 05:26 PM
No matter your weapon, or your class, Whirlwind Attack is never gonna be worth the feats. An easier way is to be a warblade and take iron heart maneuvers. They basically let you do the same or similar things with no feat investment.

Razgriez
2011-05-13, 09:44 PM
Couple things...

GENERALLY, for most things, a high threat - low multiplier weapon is preferable to a low threat - high multiplier weapon. The difference between x2 and x4 damage is often the difference between kill and overkill. If a 2x crit can often slay a foe, then a 4x crit is just overkill and you'd be best to look at expanding your crit range.

Also, you might want to touch on things that multiply with criticals. Dipping Rogue1 for the SA die, then taking the Craven feat from Champions of Ruin is very very very fun with crit oriented weapons. If you crit with a scythe while you qualify for SA, the SA damage doesn't get mulitplied, but the Craven damage does. Adding 4x your level extra damage is brutal. This is great on a mostly full BAB chassis with only a 1-4 level dip in Rogue. Other things that multiply are Power Attack, bonus damage from high Str, your enhancement bonus on the weapon, Smite damage, and static damage bonuses like Collision. For the most part, most Tome of Battle maneuvers don't multiply, but Moment of Perfect Mind (+100 damage) is static and would multiply, as would most of the charging maneuvers in White Raven. Avoid reliance on variable damage bonuses like Sneak Attack, Skirmish, Flaming weapons, etc, since they never multiply.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while criting is fun, it shouldn't be the central point of the build. Lots of things like Plants, Elementals, Undead, Constructs, Wizards, and anyone with Fortification is are all immune to your primary tactic. Its best to have a 2ndary tactic as well.

Lastly, Improved Critical and Keen weapons don't stack anymore with 3.5. Sorry. Disciple of Dispater (BoVD) would still kinda work, given that it has no real update in 3.5.
Make note, I said this was partially done also for 3.0 games, I know Keen Weapon (the spell) does not stack in 3.5, but I thought the "Keen" weapon enhancement, did. I may be wrong, and have to re-read it. (I typically play 3.0 games)

As for Alternative: Trip attack (Where possible)

Finally, as stated in my original post, I stuck to books I am familiar with and own. So, sure, I could do a "Super optimization" in the ways you suggested, but I also lack the books, and knowledge on those.

No matter your weapon, or your class, Whirlwind Attack is never gonna be worth the feats. An easier way is to be a warblade and take iron heart maneuvers. They basically let you do the same or similar things with no feat investment.

I'd like to disagree somewhat on that, as I've seen it put to very good use, and is a much better feat compared to Cleave's upgrades. When combined with the Weapon Master's Ki Whirlwind, it becomes a horde killer.

Plus since it's a branching feat from the Combat Expertise and Improved trip (which I used in my example to help boost the Trip weapon aspect of the scythe) it's not too far off that feat selection path for a fighter. Does that mean it's perfect one for every fighter, or every Scythe build, no far from it. but it is an interesting one.

ericgrau
2011-05-13, 10:10 PM
Well on average it takes a single attack plus 1-2 full attacks to kill a foe, so if one of those 5-10++ attacks is a x4 crit it isn't necessarily overkill. Especially at higher levels when magical d6 bonuses aren't multiplied. The chance of overkill is much higher, to be sure, but it won't happen most of the time.

In general the scythe or falchion are in fact better than a greatsword because most things are crittable at levels 1-20 and so average damage is higher than a greatsword. Even when things aren't crittable, we're talking a whopping -2 damage. Overall it's still better in anything except an undead campaign or a campaign on mechanus. Ya the falchion is a little better than the scythe on damage due to less overkill but the scythe adds the trip option which is nice too.

Generally I'd prefer a falchion or scythe on any standard THF build without any need to focus on them. Almost all the feats and enchantments are the same. Even improved critical I might take on a core build regardless, though perhaps later when I have more room for the feat. If somehow I'm feat starved at very high levels there's the scabbard of keen edges. The keen weapon property is fairly lousy though, as are burst enchantments. In fact focusing on criticals could easily turn a crit weapon into a trap. I'd just use them normally.

Greenish
2011-05-13, 10:29 PM
In general the scythe or falchion are in fact better than a greatsword because most things are crittable at levels 1-20 and so average damage is higher than a greatsword.I've usually heard the opposite claimed. You've numbers crunched?

ericgrau
2011-05-13, 10:37 PM
Yeah I calculated more average damage. Just figure out % chance of a crit x extra crit damage. Don't forget to multiply the x1.5 strength and +1 weapon enhancement damage. The extra damage needs to exceed a whopping 2 to come out ahead. Sometimes people complain about more crit immune things at high levels, but that's not true at all. Undead and oozes are at all levels, and at high levels you still have gigantic beasties, dragons, demons, etc. Even when it does happen you're not out of the fight, as we're talking about amounts of damage that can be counted on one hand.

Greenish
2011-05-13, 10:44 PM
Yeah I calculated more average damage. Just figure out % chance of a crit x extra crit damage. Don't forget to multiply the x1.5 strength and +1 weapon enhancement damage. The extra damage needs to exceed a whopping 2 to come out ahead.Interesting. Is that with or without Imp. Critical?

ericgrau
2011-05-13, 10:51 PM
You need improved crit or you need to wait until very high levels. It's 5% more crit damage or 10% with improved crit. So as soon as you hit 2 / 5% = 40 or 2 / 10% = 20 base damage you break even and it's gravy from there. We're dealing with small numbers here; +1 or +2 avg. damage later or early on you put up with -1 damage.

Razgriez
2011-05-14, 01:44 PM
Ok, I'm adding some edits to some of the things in the article, to reflect, the correct information that has been pointed out to me

I apologize for some of the confusion caused by the original, as I am currently fully testing the theories in a 3.0 game

Changes in this update (Version 1.1 if you will)
*Adding notes to point out that in 3.5, spells, and magic weapons which apply a "Keen" affect, do not stack with Improved Critical. This was a blunder on my part, since I typically play 3.0 games, in which the effects DO stack

*Adding in "Power Attack" as a suggested feat for 3.5 campaign builds, this is to reflect the added bonus of Power Attacks Bonus damage being doubled for the Scythe since it is a two handed weapon. Additionally, adding in "Improved Sunder" and Cleave as possible branching feat picks, as Sunder adds an additional "Debuff" tactic to most melee fighters, and Cleave, when it triggers, does offer an additional attack each round.

*Adding in Rogue under the Suggested class, for the SA and access to Craven (Though if anyone has more info on what it does, please assist, as I lack the book "Champions of Ruin" and thus do not know fully it's effects.

Greenish
2011-05-14, 02:21 PM
3.0's weapon master is "replaced" by Complete Warrior's Exotic Weapon Master in 3.5, and the latter doesn't really help your build at all.

Psychic Weapon Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d) is 3.5, however, and provides on of the few effects that can increase a weapon's crit range beyond Imp. Critical.

cfalcon
2011-05-14, 04:26 PM
The Exotic Weapon Master in no way replaces the Weapon Master. Both are very different classes, but more importantly, have different names. The Weapon Master does not, to the best of my knowledge, have any 3.5 update.

In 3.5 you can't really get past one doubling of your critical threat range, and almost nothing increases your multiplier. In 3.0, the weapon master gets both of these, and both work with "high crit" weapons (either weapons with a large amount of multiplier, or a large number of critical spaces).

In a 3.0 game going for x4 damage multipliers, consider also the silly Mercurial Greatsword, which features 2d6 at x4 (2d8 at x4 in the misprinted splatbook, but errattad later and reprinted in Arms and Equipment).

Remember when looking at critical ranges and such, that a default person swinging like, a bat, has "one crit dot". On a 20, he gets an additional x1 added to his damage. Taking improved critical or keen gains you one dot. Taking them both (such as in 3.0) gains you two dots.

Most martial weapons have "two crit dots". They either gain an additional x1 damage on a 19 or a 20, or they gain additional x2 damage on just a 20. Doubling this threat range with improved critical or keen gains you two dots, for a total of four: either x1 on 17, 18,19, 20, or x2 on 19 and 20. If you are running rules where they stack, then taking both nets you four dots, for a total of six.

Some weapons have "three crit dots". This is the highest any baseline weapons have. These weapons either give you a bonus x1 on 18,19, and 20, or an extra x3 on just a 20. The book's two handed falchion is in the first category, and the scythe is in the second. Taking improved critical or keen on any of these gives you the best mechanical benefit: it's one of the few feats that is just 50% better than for most other weapons. Doubling this takes you to six dots, either x1 extra on 15-20, or x3 extra on 19-20. If you allow BOTH of these to stack, as they do in 3.0, then you end up with NINE CRIT DOTS. The reason this was nerfed is likely that this is like three feats compared with someone who just take improved critical longsword. That being said, I never found it particularly unbalancing: however, if you allow this, consider granting some other benefit to the weapons not so critically gifted.

The Weapon Master has stuff that stacks multiplicatively as well: he can increase his threat multiplier by x1, and he can also add +2 to his threat range. For a weapon like a scimitar, "falchion", or other 3 "long" dot weapon, stacked with imp crit and keen (as 3.0 allowed), you will threaten on 10 or higher- 11 spaces. And you will do it at x3. While your ability to "pump" your crit damage lasts, you will essentially have 22 "crit dots". The upside is that this is about the best you can do under those rules, and it is pretty damned impressive: you will almost assuredly crit like crazy. The downside is that your uses of x2 -> x3 are limited and will eventually fade away. However, when you opt not to make triple crits, you'll still be making double crits, and have 11 damned crit dots, which is a hell of a lot.

Applied to a weapon with 3 "high" crit dots, such as a scythe or pick, and combined with 3.0 rulings on keen and improved critical, you'll have 5 spaces you threaten x5 on- 15 or higher. This means you'll deal x4 bonus damage over 5 spaces, for a total of 20 "crit dots". Largely, anything you actually connect with for x5 damage is done, or damned near. You will also note that when you opt not to use your x4->x5 ability (or if it is out of uses), that you will still be chilling with 15 crit dots, a hell of a lot.

If your DM is considering allowing the 3.0 stuff, definitely point them at the math, and point out that it's a hell of a lot of damage. In my experience the damage was fine: I just didn't like that no one ever used the longsword. I allow the Weapon Master in my games to this day, but I changed Keen so that, while it now stacks with Improved Crit, it only adds a single critical dot (and a +2 to confirm rolls), instead of doubling crit range. So if you have a keen longsword in my games, that would be 18-20 crit range. If you also had improved critical longsword, that would be 16-20 threat range. If you had a keen greataxe, it would be 19x2, 20x3. Improved crit on it would make it 18x2, 19-20x3. That's just my houserule: by 3.5 rules, the two don't stack at all, and have the same effect if considered independently. By 3.0 they do stack, additively.

Greenish
2011-05-14, 04:43 PM
The Weapon Master does not, to the best of my knowledge, have any 3.5 update.Consider your best of knowledge updated (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x).

Doc Roc
2011-05-14, 07:22 PM
I leave your education to greenish's considerably more genteel endeavors.

cfalcon
2011-05-14, 08:04 PM
Intriguing, but not convincing. Given that they believe the weapon master to be in need of nerfs due to his dramatically overbudget ability, that would just be their way of saying "don't play this guy".

The exotic weapon master is so ludicrously different that I'm really surprised to read that. They have nothing in common, not even levels of class.

I would interpret that to mean that WotC removed the Weapon Master as best they could without reprinting it.

Thanks for the link.

Thurbane
2011-05-16, 09:06 PM
If you're willing or able to spend an extra feat (Exotic Weapon Proficiency), the Minotaur Greathammer from MMIII is strictly better for this purpose. It's got a 19-20/x4 crit range (the only weapon in the game to have this, AFAIK), and better base damage. So if you want a crit-fishing build with a x4 multiplier, I'd suggest this weapon instead...

Greenish
2011-05-17, 12:06 AM
(the only weapon in the game to have this, AFAIK)Shh, I'm still pretending Talenta Sharrash nerf didn't happen…

80sSkeletor
2017-12-24, 08:03 PM
Something that might make going Rogue better is the addition of the Telling Blow feat from PHB2, so that in addition of the x4 you get your sneak attack dice too.

ericgrau
2017-12-24, 08:34 PM
Couple things...

True, falchion works better for damage. Scythe trips though.

The one advantage x4 crit has over good crit range is for coup de graces. If you can find a way to make the enemy helpless such as hold person, it could be an interesting tactic. Perhaps via a gish or team play. You also want a way to move and take a full round action. Like anklets of translocation. Or death blow feat (3.0 sword and fist) makes coup de grace a standard action. Burst enchantments work too, even against crit immune foes.

I found a thread on ways to make foes helpless: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?375068-3-5-Making-stuff-Helpless . If you could give something to your whole party or do it as a swift action you're in business. Or belt of battle for an extra turn. Of course if the foe is helpless for a long time there's no point to killing him. But many such effects only last a round or give a new save each round. And one of those may be easier to get.

That plus tripping could be the way to go. Coup de grace when possible, trip otherwise. You'll probably be tripping a little more often than not, but auto kill even 1/3 of the time would be nice.