PDA

View Full Version : Change Shape substitutes?

Paragon Badger
2011-05-13, 05:48 PM
Not shapechange... or Alternate form. Or Polymorph or any of those things.

The objective is to assume a human or humanoid form without assuming a human or humanoid's ability scores.

Because it's an ancient dragon fighter/battle sorceror/eldritch knight BBEG... Not the most optimized build, but that's the point... All she needs is to have an ancient dragon's strength and constitution to make her pretty challenging against both full casters and full melee'rs, while retaining mental ability scores in the twenties. The point isn't to make her invincible, but a tough cookie for every member of the party. Anyways;

90% of the time she'll be in human form until being forced to reveal her true form, using the spell Transformation to boost her breath weapons and melee attacks, going out in one final fit of wrath. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneWingedAngel) At that time, she should be just about dry on her limited arsenal of spells, with the party's 2 spellcasters having exhausted a good portion of their own.

There is always something like using Assume Supernatrual Form and polymorphing into a succubus or something for Change Shape... but that feat always seemed like such a cop-out. Besides.. She'd have to Polymorph into a succubus just so she can Change Shape into a human. Seems... silly.

Sure, as a silver dragon she has Alternate Form and could just turn into a human normally... but her ability scores would turn into 10,10,10...

Worst comes to worst, I can just say metallic dragons have Change Shape instead of Alternate Form... But I would prefer my players think I'm using perfectly legitimate rules in the creation of their enemies. :smallwink:

And I am aware Silver Dragons are supposed to be good.

RaginChangeling
2011-05-13, 06:12 PM
Hat of Disguise? Some kind of [Mind Affecting] Illusion? Find a way to get a Changeling's Change Form ability?

Urpriest
2011-05-13, 06:14 PM
The spell Draconic Polymorph was invented for this situation. Sure you don't keep the physical scores of your dragon form, but you're still substantially better than just an average human.

Paragon Badger
2011-05-18, 02:30 AM
Draconic Polymorph is suitable for my needs...

Still, I may have created a monster! :smallbiggrin:

Feats: Arcane Preparation, Quicken Spell, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Monkey Grip (Mostly for flavor)

Swift: Cast True Strike
Full-Round: Charge + Power Attack, Leap Attack

18 Str + 4 from Bull's Strength + 8 from Belt of Epic Strength = 30 Str

Modifier of +10...

Swift: Quicken True Strike; +20 to Hit [Negate Miss Chance]
Full-Round: Charge Leap/Power Attack (Full BaB Converted: 17 => 36)
Attack: +10 Strength, +5 Epic Progression, +5 Weap, +2 Charge, +20 True Strike (+42)
Damage: Two-handed Weapon Damage + [(36x3) + (Str +15) + (Ench +5)] = 2d8+130

No, Draconic Polymorph will do just fine... I need to get one charge in for the first encounter with her to be a non-fatal wake-up call boss. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WakeUpCallBoss)

If it's any consolation, I'm purposely aiming for the tank because he has the most HP and it would have a suitable scary effect... A normal power attack at full BaB is still +56 Damage, with +40 to attack.

Anyways, I digress... thanks alot for the suggestion, Urpriest!

This will likely start a huge PC/DM arms race though... :smallbiggrin:

Makes for a better final boss battle, though.

Luckmann
2011-05-18, 05:53 AM
Oh wow, I first read the title of the thread as "Change Shape Prostitutes". :smallbiggrin:

Such a let-down. :smallsigh: