PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Tomb of Horrors, ongoin'

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-13, 07:26 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/OasysWebmaster/OfficialMap-5.jpg

With the help of Light, Welby can see the magical stone which cuts him off from the rest of the party. Alone, he can see a flight of stairs stretching before him.
As Maki and Eduardo crawl once more through the darkness, one must wonder if they remember the consequences of the LAST time they were in this narrow and confined space...

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-13, 08:03 PM
Maki, did he tell you where he was going?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-13, 08:09 PM
Back inside, Harley is having a heart attack.
"Welby! Shudu! Maki! Eduardo! WE'RE DIVIDED AGAAAAAAIN!"
Attempting to peer around the large stone, Daina catches a glimpse of Welby's Light.
"Welby! Are you okay!?!? Have you found a way around?"
Meanwhile, Jake dives into the crawlway after Eduardo.

Misaat
2011-05-13, 08:09 PM
" MMM Not precisely. I guess it was more like... I told him? "

Maki keeps on crawling

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-13, 08:12 PM
Mercifully, Jake can't see that well in the dark, so he's spared the sight of Eduardo's backside.
"You told Shudu where he was going? Why does this have 'barbarian plotting' all over it?"

Misaat
2011-05-13, 08:51 PM
Mercifully, Jake can't see that well in the dark, so he's spared the sight of Eduardo's backside.
"You told Shudu where he was going? Why does this have 'barbarian plotting' all over it?"

"Well i must state that , like that time i destroyed the after-life. It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-13, 08:56 PM
Though none of them can see it, Jake shrugs, continuing to follow in the dark, "Fair enough."

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-13, 09:18 PM
Is it the stone he's going after?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-13, 09:24 PM
"What stone?"

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-13, 09:28 PM
The black gemstone in the ceiling of the... hold on, is it even still possible to get to the entrance chamber? Maki, where did you send him?

Misaat
2011-05-13, 09:41 PM
"You think i was going to send him back to retrive a BLACK GEM ON THE CEILING? How stupid do you think i am? I send him to retrieve Poison from the invisible snake we fought earlier."

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-13, 10:21 PM
The Master of Death sighs.

I'm sure I don't know. Stupid enough to waste our time and possibly your friend's life to retrieve a poison that will not effect any of the enemies we are likely to face here?

Misaat
2011-05-13, 10:30 PM
The Master of Death sighs.

I'm sure I don't know. Stupid enough to waste our time and possibly your friend's life to retrieve a poison that will not effect any of the enemies we are likely to face here?

" Ah! But it's not for them! Its for me! You dont know but when the snake poisoned me at first i felt as if all the muscles in my body where made of Iron! I felt more powerfull than anytime before! I dont know what we might find out ahead. But even if there is a chance it might kill me after i use it it will surely help me beat whatever we might find ahead..."

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-13, 11:08 PM
"We must hurry! Snake or gem... Both are dang-"
Shudu's head smacks into Maki's nose as the Scout scrabbles in the opposite direction.
"GOgogogGO!"

Misaat
2011-05-14, 01:18 AM
"Ouch! What?! What is happening "

Maki says as he behins crawling backwards.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-14, 09:03 AM
Shudu, is that you? What is going on? Eduardo says even as he turns to head back to the chapel.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-14, 02:09 PM
Shudu makes a single choked scream, "Yeah, it's me! Aaaaaaaaaargh!"
Then, Maki can feel Shudu's hands clawing at his face as the Scout is dragged back further into the darkness.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-14, 02:17 PM
What does deathwatch reveal? Also, initiative?characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-14, 02:54 PM
Besides himself, The Master of Death senses four auras of life, and the tell-tale aura of undead.

No Initiative necessary yet.

Misaat
2011-05-14, 03:04 PM
Can Maki Grab him? If so he grabs his wrists so he stops being pulled back.

"Shudu!"

zxczxczxc

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-14, 03:29 PM
Maki's hand locks on Shudu's arm, and for a moment the barbarian is able to stop Shudu from being dragged into the darkness.
"Snaaaaaaaaaake!"
There is a loud hissing sound in the darkness.

Misaat
2011-05-14, 08:11 PM
"Snakes... Why did it have to be snakes?"

XD

Maki tries to crawl backwards while grabing Shudu's wrist.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-14, 08:46 PM
This was... a matter of concern. Eduardo knew the snake was more than a match for Shudu alone, and there were likely two snakes, one alive and one undead, which would likely prove to be a unique challenge. Maki, Eduardo and Jake should be enough to overpower the snakes and retrieve the scout, but if the Master lost sight of his prey, there was little he could do.

Squeezing by the barbarian, Eduardo reaches out his hand, struggling to make contact with Shudu's wrist... As he does so he speaks a simple incantation.

Luminos...

I cast light centered on Shudu's hand. Touch attack if needed:

[roll0]

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-14, 08:46 PM
Okay, and NOW we roll Initiative!
[roll0] Eduardo, Master of Death
[roll1] Maki
[roll2] Opposed Strength Check for Maki FAILED!

Shaking his head furiously, Shudu chokes off a cry of pain as he is pulled and yanked in Maki's grasp!

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-14, 08:53 PM
As the Light blinds him, Shudu curses angrily, and swipes a fist at Maki, once again striking him in the nose. Behind the scout and the barbarian,Eduardo is rather surprised to see not a snake, but Snake!
A newly risen undead of the Tomb, Snake snarls and garbles something unintelligible with a great deal of hissing spitting, and then yanks Shudu screaming right out of Maki's grasp.
"Heeeeeeeeelp!"
"Brainsssssssssssssss!"

:smallbiggrin:

In the Chapel, Pharrah sighs in exasperation, "Relax Harley-whatever Maki and Shudu and Jake have gotten themselves into I'm sure my Master will be able to find a way out of it! Let's try and get this rock rolling on out of here!"
Assuming a Gaseous Form of her own, the Apprentice squeezes into the hole, and appears behind the halfling sorceror.
"Hmmmm, spacious."

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-14, 09:43 PM
Eduardo never met Snake!

A zombie... I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But they do come in all shapes and sizes, don't they?

The Master of Death tries to size up his opponent.

Know: Religion. Trying to get a sense of how powerful this zombie might be, if there's anything weird about it, and just double checking that it's a zombie and not another more powerful type of undead.

[roll0]

I have a standard action coming to me, too.

Misaat
2011-05-15, 12:34 AM
"EDUARDO! I Cant use my weapons here! Do you have some kind of magic to use against it?"

Monodominant
2011-05-16, 12:17 AM
just realised we changed threads and thats why I was not seeing new posts. Will return later today with a post here to edit.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-16, 06:25 PM
just realised we changed threads and thats why I was not seeing new posts. Will return later today with a post here to edit.
Most excellent. I wonder if that's why Elfstone hasn't posted yet either...

Elfstone
2011-05-16, 07:26 PM
Nope. Just really, really busy.

Quin calls through the hole "If its roomy, im coming through." As he activates his ring he took from the ranger.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-16, 07:38 PM
What's the result of my knowledge check? It will affect what I choose to do with my standard action!characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-16, 08:15 PM
What's the result of my knowledge check? It will affect what I choose to do with my standard action!
Eek!
:smalleek:

Nope. Just really, really busy.
Okay.
:smallsmile:

As he activates his ring he took from the ranger.
The ring of ethereal jaunt?

QUOTE]Eduardo never met Snake! [/QUOTE]
TRUE. He never met him alive; but he would have heard about him when Harley and Jake recounted the expedition thus far to him in the Chamber. Also, he would have seen their bodies as he fled the Chamber when Shud set off the trap-so, Eduardo may not KNOW Snake and Bob personally, but he'll recognize them and the significance of his 'resurrection'.

Eduardo can easily tell that this zombie construct is different...
Clearly, the dead in the Tomb don't stay dead long...
But Snake's former status as an adventurer (PC) may twist that usual magic in unusual ways...
The elf's form is twisted and contorted in the usual manner of a a newly-risen zombie... But dust is flecked in his hair, and as Snake's abnormal tongue darts in and out, in and out, it is hacked and wheezed all over Maki and Shudu.
Dust is imprinted into his clothes, fingernails and every pore on his skin...
Snake has Risen...
...as a Dust Zombie!

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-16, 08:30 PM
Oh snap! Where are dust zombies from and what do I know about them? Are they intelligent? How many HD should this thing have? The same as Snake? What about special powers and defenses?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-16, 09:03 PM
Oh snap! Where are dust zombies from and what do I know about them? Are they intelligent? How many HD should this thing have? The same as Snake? What about special powers and defenses?
Sorry friend, that's all you get!
But OOC-wise, it's a 'standard' PC-zombie with a little 'surprise' thrown in.
Be careful.
:smalltongue:

Elfstone
2011-05-16, 09:46 PM
Yes the ring of etheral juant... not the blink ring which is the only other one I have.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-17, 07:16 AM
The Master of Death can tell this is no ordinary zombie. He could destroy the wretch, but then, what would he have learned? No, it was far better to make this thing his ally, albeit temporarily, and learn what he could.

Mustering every ounce of his willpower, Eduardo speaks the forbidden incantation he learned those years ago in the Tomb of the Mer-King, and imposes a formidable hold upon the undead.

Casting command undead on Snake, making him my ally. Unless he is an intelligent undead, he gets no save. If he is intelligent, like, say, a vampire or lich is, the save is DC 19, but the moaning and braaaains, tell me he's not. He now considers me his ally, much like a charm person spell. He will only follow orders if I make an opposed Charisma check vs. him though. Speaking of which:

[roll0]

If he is anything like a normal zombie, he has Cha 1 and should make his roll at -5.

Now, be a good boy and let go of my friend. Sit quietly and do not harm anyone.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-17, 06:45 PM
Yes the ring of etheral juant... not the blink ring which is the only other one I have.
Got it.

[roll0]

With the ring on his finger, Quin slips into the Ethereal Plane...

Snake immediately lets go of Shudu, and the scout hurriedly tries to put as much distance between the dust zombie and himself, blinding Maki and Eduardo as he tries to get away.
From behind, Jake sounds worried, "What in is Sorath's pate is going on?"
It seems that every ounce of his willpower was enough to subdue this newly arisen denizen of the Tomb...

Pharrah suddenly frowns.
"I have a baaaaaad feeling about this..."

The Ethereal Plane is a fog, and through it, Quin can make out the lines and definitions of the Tomb. He can see his friends...
He can even dimly make out Eduardo and the others in the crawlway, and Welby and Pharrah behind the stone...

Harley begins to tear out his hair.
"Quin! No! Now HE'S gone too! The party is divided in FOUR now!"

Quin also sees something else...

Snake kneels down as best as he can, hacking dust from every surface and orifice, his long tongue draping on the floor.

A massive dark claw cuts through the fog, slamming next to Quin, and the dwarf is forced to leap back. Above him, towers the massive form of a retriever, its eyes glowing through the mist as it regards this intruder and interloper with disdain. Howling, the Retriver fixes Quin with a hungry gaze and leaps forward to attack!

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG47.jpg

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-17, 07:15 PM
Dancingto avoid the claws, Quin can't avoid two of them, and they slash at his armor drawing blood...

[roll0] Damage to Quin
[roll1] Damage to Quin
The teeth come to, latching into the dwarfs chest, and giving him agood shaking before dropping Quin Rockshield to the 'ground'.

[roll2] Damage to Quin
[roll3] Reflex Save for Quin, halved if Successful, and that's a failure...
[roll4] Fire Damage, aaaaaaaaaaaaand that's a kill...

Prone, Quin picks himself up, and begins to move, only to be lanced by a ray of fire to the back! Lancing through his Ethereal Projection,the Ray of Fire from the Retriever's eye burns Quin from the Plane.
Cackling, the demon scuttles off to stand guard elsewhere.

Nobody knows at all...

Misaat
2011-05-17, 08:27 PM
Oh i see you encountered my old friend... good to see he is healthy...

characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-17, 08:29 PM
Oh i see you encountered my old friend... good to see he is healthy...
Snake? Or the Retriever?

Elfstone
2011-05-17, 08:33 PM
And all that hit my AC? As well as Quin not even getting to go?

and
NOOOOOOOO my track record is ruined.

Misaat
2011-05-17, 08:50 PM
Snake? Or the Retriever?

The retriever. Never met Snake...

characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-17, 09:06 PM
And all that hit my AC? As well as Quin not even getting to go?
Check the retriever's stats.
With Quin's AC at 24, two claws missed, but two hit, plus the bite and the fiery ray which attacks his Touch AC...

The retriever. Never met Snake...
True. But you'd recognized him-Harley and Jake would have spoken about him when they told what had happened, and saw his and Bob's bodies.

NOOOOOOOO my track record is ruined.
No worries. Everyone gets to die.
Now I just have to come up with a plausible way to bring Quin back... There isn't even a BODY to bring back...

Misaat
2011-05-17, 09:50 PM
Check the retriever's stats.
With Quin's AC at 24, two claws missed, but two hit, plus the bite and the fiery ray which attacks his Touch AC...

True. But you'd recognized him-Harley and Jake would have spoken about him when they told what had happened, and saw his and Bob's bodies.

No worries. Everyone gets to die.
Now I just have to come up with a plausible way to bring Quin back... There isn't even a BODY to bring back...

Cant Dresden bring him back from the... Oh right.... :smalltongue:

characters

Monodominant
2011-05-18, 02:48 AM
For the record I dont care about some NPC that backtracked to go find things... its his fault for waking up SNAKE... I dont see why people go to save him when he stupidly went away on his own...

Secondly Elfstone dude by now you had not realised that there are some kind of demons or whatever around us? Stop using transdimensional travel, it causes issues!

Welby paid little attention to the voices calling from the other side of the hole. Whoever wanted to split the party after they had decided to go through the hole in the wall were on their own. Stupid decision were rewarded appropriately.

As the light revealed some more are around him he rose higher as a cloud and then snapped his mind fingers dispelling the gaseous form. As he had risen high enough it gave him some time before falling to the ground to take control of his little wings and float without touching the ground. He had not forgotten the lessons about touching nothing, including the floor.

"Its okay, come in but be careful" he called out from the hole to those that were still outside and then moved slightly forward checking the area around.

Active spells: Alter self, invisibility, mage armor (though it doesnt do anything due to AC 5 of the Robe), shield, stoneskin, reduce person and light

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-18, 07:25 AM
Excellent. Now follow me into the chappel and do not touch anyone.

Eduardo begins crawling back the way he came.

Shudu... There are far worse things in the Tomb than this wretch. You could have brought something far more dangerous back with you through the tunnel. If you want to get your fool self killed, it is your business, but do not do it here. You put the rest of us in danger, and you will rise again as a zombie like this one. Understand?

Cha check for Snake:
[roll0]
Dip check for Shudu
[roll1]

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-18, 06:08 PM
Cant Dresden bring him back from the... Oh right....

For the record I dont care about some NPC that backtracked to go find things... its his fault for waking up SNAKE... I dont see why people go to save him when he stupidly went away on his own...
Definitely makes sense. At this point, I would have left the Tomb already.

Active spells: Alter self, invisibility, mage armor (though it doesnt do anything due to AC 5 of the Robe), shield, stoneskin, reduce person and light
Wise of you to keep Mage Armor going. If that Robe goes, the Mage Armor would kick in. Very wise.
Beware undead moths!

I also like how while exploring you've opted to remind me of your magical protections rather than make a Spot Check.

Peering around the corner at the bottom of the stairs, Welby sees a wooden door. Sitting in front of it, is a grinning child's skull.
Flies crawl over its surface, moving in and out of the empty eye sockets and through the nose and squeezing between the teeth.

Jake immediately backs out of the Master's way, allowing him, Shudu and Maki to move. Along the way, Shudu who appears to be trying to ignore Snake as much as possible, presses four potion vials into Maki's grip.
"I think I emptied the fangs... But what we don't know is the exact dosage..."
Nodding and shaking off dust as he moves, Snake obediently moves along.

"Welby! I'm going to check on the others. Stay here. I'm pretty sure you won't touch anything... But don't wander off..." Making use of Gaseous Form, Pharrah disappears into the Stone Shaped hole.

Shudu growls at Eduardo's warning, but merely moves along without saying anything. After all-the Master HAD probably saved his life...
Then again...
"Everyone in this place appears to be undead; maybe there's something we're missing?"

As Eduardo and Jake enter into the Chapel, Jake has a thought.
"Won't your control of... Snake... End if you or him enter the Field?"
He says this in a hoarse whisper.
"Jake! Eduardo! Where are Shudu and Maki! Quin's gone!" says Dranga, worry heavy in her words.
"Gone?!?!?! Where'd he go? They're coming right after us..."
As Pharrah emerges from the hole, she begins a headcount, trying to determine how many she can bring over, unaware of her Master's return.

Interrupted Eduardo's movement to allow Gaurd to figure out something.
Quin's eyes fly open.
He's in a tavern apparently, lying on some sort of stage in the dressing of a typical dwarf. If he were to feel his chest, he'd feel the trusty breastplate hidden beneath a well-worn tunic.
Before him, drinkers and merry-makers of all races and gender sit at tables with drink; humans, clerics, a devil and a familiar looking vampiress winks at him. There are elves, and dwarves, and a monk that Quin strongly suspects is a dragon in drag.
And if he isn't mistaken, that's Vecna drinking a cocktail with halfling thief and some sort of miniature stone golem.
A minotaur barmaid weaves her way through the tables, bringing food and drink for the patrons who shower her with praise, thanks and coins.
The barkeep, a gnome standing on a stool waves to the goblin bard leaping onto the stage next to Quin.
"Roll up, roll up, roll up! Acerak's Tomb of Horrors LUCKY DRAW PRIZE is about to be drawn. Please put your hands, tentacles and assorted undead appendages together for our host for tonight . . . the one, the ooooonly, the lich himself . . . Acerak!"
There is a sound of tomato hitting an unladen chicken in mid-flight, and in a puff of smoke, and to excited applause, Acererak appears, cloaked and hoodedin brilliant white and green.
"Zzzzzh. Thanks for that Demi. And just let me say, what a wonderful group we've got assembled in The Tomb tonight. Wonderful. We've had some great players already up in the game. Great players. But I want to give a special shout out to Maki the Barbarian for, in his words, "destroying the one safe place" in this tomb. Props, man."
More applause, a wolf howls-no, whistles. Literally.
The werewolf in the back leaps to his feet, clapping.
"Hey! You!"
An angry troll, a bouncer obviously, makes his way to the now nervous looking lycanthrope.
"You're not on 'The List'! Gehenna, you never even paid!"
More applause as the troll proceeds to forcefully evict the werewolf from the premises.
"Anyway, I see we have some anxious faces in the crowd tonight. I see quite a few of you already have pulled out your lucky draw tokens on the way in. You'll recognise them by the indeliable scarring they leave on your body if you hold onto them for too long."
More applause.
"What a great crowd! Is that the Fat Friat I see in the bacK? Maaaan, is he big! But what a guy. What a character! Not like me. I'm no character, and i'm most certainly not fat-I'm all skin and bones. Well, half-and-half!
Laughter and applause. The mummy gags on it ale, but happily uses its rags to mop up the mess with the help of a friendly mind-flayer.
"Third prize tonight is to be eaten head first by the creature through the next door that the party goes through. Quite a good prize right there already - feet first it is otherwise, without mustard."
Acererak holds up a gloved hand to stop any further interrupting applause.
"Second prize is fabulous - a night out with my second wife. I know that you'll be just dying to meet her. If you survive that... A nevermind, I didn't survive that! And finally..."
With a flourish of his robes Acererak draws forth a miniature golden scroll case from a voluminous sleeve.
There is hush and awe, and a spotlight opens on Acererak as the rest of the bar falls dark and silent.
"Demi, could I get a drumroll here, please?"
The hobgoblin nods and grins, and pulling on a Rope that Quin hadn't noticed before, drags out a tired and haggard looking naga.
"Time to earn your keep you deadbeat!"
Bleary eyed, the naga complies, slithering to set of conjured drums, the creature proceeds to beat out a perfect drumroll.
"First prize tonight is a RETURN FROM DEATH so that you, no, let's not be greedy about this, WE can all enjoy your further futile and hilarious attempts to survive for a few rounds longer in the TOMB . . . OF . . . HORRORS! ! !"
More and far louder applause; as the patrons leap to their feet againg, the werewolf slips back inside, retaking his seat.
"Now Demi, the decapitated wizard's hat, if you don't mind, and let's pick a name out . . . plenty to choose from. It could be you!"
Demi searches and looks, running through all his pockets and turns up nothing he shrugs.
"Sorry, boss."
"That's alright, Demi. It won't happen again."
"Wait, is that supposed to be iron-"
"DISINTEGRATE!"
Reduced to a pile of dust, Demi the Hobgoblin Bard is no more, but that doesn't stop the fun; a giant leprechaun orders another round of drinks on him for everyone.
With a wheezing laugh of his own, Acererak watches as Lenny, a blind centaur and the bars hired help sweeps up Demi.
"He always interrupted me when I was monologuing. Terrible habit. Anyways, folks, no need to worry-I happen to have the results right here! I didn't need the hat at all!"
He waves the scroll excitedly.
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, our winner is..."
A pause.
"Quuuuuuuuuuuin RoooooooooooockSHIELD, Cleric of Moradin! Congratulations Quin, you're todays winner! How do you feel!?!?!?"
With that, a spotlight opens on Quin and to the sound of the loudest round of applause yet, Quin looks into Acererak's face, covered by a black mask as the demi-lich proceeds to vigourously shake the dwarfs hands.
As Acererak pumps his wrist up and down, the dwarf can feel one hand is distinctly more bony than the other...
"Well? Whathaveyougottasay, chum?"

With great thanks and respect to Dancing Fox who came up with this awesome answer to my problem of bringing back Quin from his recent encounter on the Ethereal Plane. Thanks man!

As usual, dead people get their own Initiative order. Quin can take Actions.
He's got no weapons, but his clothes hide his armor.

Misaat
2011-05-18, 06:23 PM
Wait wait wait. A "Grinning" Child's skull? Its a skull how can it have a grin?

Maki keeps on crawling while thinking.

" Dranga probably knows about potions and Daina about poison... Ill ask them the best way to use this..."

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-18, 06:35 PM
Hmm, good point. My control is magical in nature, so if he enters the field, it would be suppressed. Zombie, wait here and do not enter the chappel until I bid you.

[roll0]

Once Snake is following this last order, Eduardo continues the rest of the way into the chappel, clears the anti-magic field and continues on 30 feet south of it.

Maki, Jake, Shudu... I would recomend coming over here. When I call him into the chappel, he will enter the field and be released from my control. He will then try to kill us, but doing so will bring him out of the field and this back under my command.

After they have made whatever arrangements they wish, Eduardo calls to his thrall.

Come now, stand by my side.

Misaat
2011-05-18, 06:40 PM
" I think you should just make him stay here... Wouldn't it be dangerous if something happened to you and you couldn't control it anymore? "

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-18, 06:54 PM
Darn it ninja'd.

Wait wait wait. A "Grinning" Child's skull? Its a skull how can it have a grin?
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/10194687/2/istockphoto_10194687-grinning-skull-with-removable-eyes.jpg
Like this.

Anyways, I'm saying it again, thanks to Dancing Fox, I've found a decent, and humorous way to bring Quin back. It's in my last post.

Jake shrugs, "He got himself killed once we can do it again."
"Yeah!" chimes in Shudu.
"Quiet you." says Jake, who clearly agrees with Eduardo's assessment of the matter.
Pharrah having reached her conclusion, announces so, "I'm gonna have to make two trips..."

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-18, 07:19 PM
I deem it worth the risk to learn more about this creature. He is a type of undead I haven't encountered before, only heard about... a dust zombie. What we learn here could help us later, if we were to, for example, encounter a room full of such creatures.

So let's do it!

Also, that was awesome.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-18, 07:22 PM
Map:http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/OasysWebmaster/etherealdance.jpg

"So... You'll call, it-Snake in, and if things go sour, we should kill it?"

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-18, 07:26 PM
Yes, but to be super clear, I will be 30 feet south of the anti-magic field when I do so! Everyone else should be, too.

The Master can't help but laugh. Haha, yes! Defend yourself by all means. We don't want to be facing down another reanimated corpse, do we?

Creature! Attend me. To my side.

Elfstone
2011-05-18, 07:27 PM
He PMed me first. I loled so hard.
Map please?
Quin looks around in several stages of shock, then shrugs and orders a beer.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-18, 07:30 PM
For the record, I think you probably should have gotten a chance to roll initiative before that thing full attacked your ass into oblivion!

Elfstone
2011-05-18, 08:01 PM
I also believe that... as I could have ended the spell... INSTANTLY...

Misaat
2011-05-18, 08:01 PM
It was nice of Acerak to remember me...

" Ok lets do that "

Maki gets out of the crawlway and returns to the door on the other side of the room.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-18, 08:35 PM
For the record, I think you probably should have gotten a chance to roll initiative before that thing full attacked your ass into oblivion!

I also believe that... as I could have ended the spell... INSTANTLY...
Nope. Speaking the command word of a ring, and the activation of the spell is a standard action, I suppose he could have taken a Move Action, but with the demons actively guarding the Tomb, they've been itching to make use of those claws of theirs.

Unfortunately, Quin has no money with which to buy a beer... He realizes this as Acererak and the crowd, watch him expectantly.

Shudu hurriedly exits the crawlway, moments before Snake follows.
The magic holding the Dust Zombie fails, and Snake immediately swings a dusty hand, clawed and vicious at Jake.
The bard manages to dodge, but coughs as he inhales some of the dust.
Daina, in horror, immediately fires an arrow, and Harley hurls a knife. Grunting, and hissing Snake staggers back as shaft and hilt blossom like flowers in his chest, and coughs when Shudu swings his axe through the his chest.
With a hacking and wheezing shake, Snake explodes in a cloud of dust, leaving Shudu and Jake hacking and coughing themselves, covered head to toe.
Pharrah ***** her head to the side, "What in the Nine Hells, is WRONG with you guys!?!?!?!"

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-18, 08:46 PM
That was enlightening... Though I wish you had joined me on this side of the field before I called him here. Why didn't you? Ah well. Come here now and let me see if I can do something about the dust.

Heal Check to see what's wrong with these chumps: [roll0]
Know: Religion to see what I can tell about the disease and see if I learned anything useful [roll1]

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-18, 08:49 PM
Eduardo gets a terrible terrible feeling, his skin crawls at the idea of coming anywhere near that dust. And no good can come of Shudu and Jake's ingestion of it. In time, their health will fail, and they will most likely die painful deaths, unless something can be done.
"Master?"

They were being bold.

Monodominant
2011-05-19, 06:14 AM
Who needs spot checks? I dont need to see anything just as long as nothing sees me!!!!

Welby looked at the skull curiously and focused on the little animals moving around it. He also looked at the door behind it and grinned.

They did tell him to wait off course but well... what was the point of that? They would come in and start discussing and end up doing NOTHING or even worse get into danger because of all this.

He flew almost as high as the ceiling and called out at the skull.

"Er hello? Are you... alive or undead or something in between? I am just the disembodied voice of a half conscious amalgam" he called out.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-19, 07:57 AM
Oh, that is not good... Pharrah, get the cleric. What's been going on here anyway? Did we discover what was beyond the wall?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-19, 05:25 PM
Shudu gulps, and Jake holds his face in his palm, shaking his head and muttering.
"What do you mean, 'That is NOT GOOD'!?!??!"
"Quin's gone!"
"What?"
Pharrah looks a little annoyed, but makes an effort to answer Eduardo's question, "Master, beyond the stone is a landing leading to a stairwell... What was that... Thing?"

The skull, being a skull, doesn't respond.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-19, 09:33 PM
I was hoping you would be able to answer that, actually. It was a dust zombie. Have you encountered one before?

Shudu... You hand Jake have contracted a disease from this creature. You are dying of it, and it will be a painful death.

I suspect you will need magical aid to recover, but the cleric is missing, so...

He lets the sentiment hang in the air for a moment.

I will need to heal you. Why is this? You neglected my advice and stood in the anti-magic field with the zombie. I am beginning to notice a pattern here. I don't have the ability to cure disease on my own. I use a rare medicine and I only have a few doses. I am going to use one on you, because I don't want to see you suffer. I do not have to do this again... I don't have the time or resources to save you over and over again. The next time this happens, I may just leave you to join your god in the after life.

As Eduardo makes this little speech, he reaches into his sachel and produces a small container of salve. He applies a little dab under the tongue of both Shudu and Jake, and its healing magic surges through them.

That done, he heads over to the tunnel that his apprentice created.

We must be on our guard even more than before now that Quin is gone. My ability to heal is extremely limited. Are you ready to take Maki and I through to the other sie?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-19, 09:43 PM
Before Eduardo can swab Jake and Shudu, the bard holds up a hand.
"Wait."
He moves gingerly so as not to get the dust on him.
"If the dust will kill us, and you've only got so much-you can't risk getting on y-"
A Gust of Wind slams Shudu and Jake, the excess dust flies away in a fit of coughing from the two men.
Bowing, Pharrah mutters, "I saw no need for you to trouble and endanger yourself, Master. And no, this is the first time I've encountered this kind of thing. And yes, I am."
After Eduardo has administered his attentions to Shudu and Jake, Harley hands them spare bandanas to where over their faces and Pharrah opens the doorway, "After you, Master. Barbarian. Assassin. Wizard. I'll come back for the Bard, the 'idiot' and Daina after."
Shudu scowls, but whatever he says is muffled.
Forlorn, Jake stiffles another cough and stares at his feet.

I am going to use one on you, because I don't want to see you suffer. I do not have to do this again... I don't have the time or resources to save you over and over again. The next time this happens, I may just leave you to join your god in the after life.
What is it? A placebo? Because that would be HILARIOUS Gaurd. I don't think any PC has given an NPC a placebo before...

Misaat
2011-05-20, 12:40 AM
How are Maki's HP?

characters

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-20, 02:27 PM
LOL @ Placebo. Would that actually work with a good enough bluff check? No, it's a restorative ointment. I have 5 doses of it and it cures disease, cures light wounds and nuetralizes poison. They shoul both take 1d8+5HP too, and if they are poisoned, they should be cured.

Elfstone
2011-05-20, 02:35 PM
"Anyone willing to buy me a beer? After that, Id love to go back to the tomb. If thats okay, Mr. A"

Misaat
2011-05-20, 03:17 PM
"Anyone willing to buy me a beer? After that, Id love to go back to the tomb. If thats okay, Mr. A"

MR A?! YOU ARE A PRIEST HE IS A LICH PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!

CHARACTERS

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-20, 07:46 PM
How are Maki's HP?
100%

LOL @ Placebo. Would that actually work with a good enough bluff check?
For sure-and the DC would be low-they have no reason not to believe Eduardo is 'helping' them, I dunno, DO placebos actually work? :smallsmile:

MR A?! YOU ARE A PRIEST HE IS A LICH PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!
Oooooooh, a bar fight? Better watch out for the troll bouncer though.

Dranga and Harley go through the Dimension Door, and Pharrahs taps her foot impatietly as she waits for Maki and Eduardo.

'Buy? Drinks are going all around-our friend over their has just bought a fresh round."
With a wink, the barmaid pushes a hefty mug of what smells like mead is pushed into Quin's hand. Cold drops of water bead the surface of the glass.
Acererak laughs.
"Go back? To my Tomb? Now Quin, why would you want to do that?"

The flies continue to crawl over the skull, as if Welby weren't even there. And of course, the skull doesn't do anything.
It is just a skull.

Elfstone
2011-05-20, 08:20 PM
Quin takes his mug of mead and downs it quickly before responding. "Well sir, I have just found it so interesting. Quite a work of twisted art. Wouldn't you say so? Also because my god has requested I destroy you and all evil before reclaiming the world for good? All in a days work I say." he says, thinking fast.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-20, 08:23 PM
The mead is some of the best Quin has tasted, light at the sip and heavy in the belly, a fine dwarven brew.
Before Acererak can answer, there is a slam at the door, and everyone including the demi-lich himself, turns to see who has arrived.

Misaat
2011-05-20, 08:26 PM
100! How did that ha... I mean awesome! And how many potions did Daina gave me?

" All right! lets get on with this... "

Maki steps through the portal.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-20, 08:29 PM
And how many potions did Daina gave me?
1 Cure Serious Wounds
2 Cure Moderate Wounds
4 Cure Light Wounds

All PCs and NPCs received these.
Put 'em in your character inventories-if you don't want 'em, say so now, and don't mention/ask for them later.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-20, 08:34 PM
Eduardo is ready to freaking rock. Let's go dim door someplace interesting!

Eduardo makes a bizarre set of hand gestures and spits on the ground.

Death Ward is up.

Then let us leave this accursed chapel and continue on our quest. The protocols are waiting.

The Master smiles wryly as he stands next to his apprentice.

Maki?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-20, 08:38 PM
Maki and Eduardo, as well as Harley and Dranga, appear on the stairwell behind Welby, who they can see examining something below.
Bowing Pharrah asks leave to return from her Master.
"I will also discern some means by which to leave Quin a message of where we have gone if he returns. Though how he will reach us is beyond me..."

Misaat
2011-05-20, 08:40 PM
Dude im already there XD

characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-20, 09:08 PM
Dude im already there XD
Actions? From anyone are welcome really...
=P

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-20, 09:13 PM
Eduardo examines his new surroundings, scrutinizing everything.

Deathwatch is up, what do I see?

spot check: [roll0]

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-20, 09:17 PM
Stepping through the Dimension Door, Pharrah takes her leave.
Within the stairwell, Eduardo's Deathwatch, reveals five living beings; himself, Welby and Maki, Dranga and Harley...
As he walks down the stairs, Eduardo sees the grinning child's skull, and his Deathwatch registers the minute life forms on the gruesome find.

Misaat
2011-05-20, 09:31 PM
Everything is Dark in here?

characters

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-20, 09:49 PM
The skull holds interest to Eduardo. To the uninitiated it appeared just to be a grizzly reminder of mortality, but to the Master it was more - it represented a person that could be reached through it, and possibly aid him. But...

Cast detect magic.

Has anybody checked to see if the skull is trapped?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-20, 11:00 PM
Everything is Dark in here?
Nah, Welby has Light prepared.

Eduardo can detect no magic about the skull, though the door registers an aura of strong abjuration.

Monodominant
2011-05-21, 04:30 AM
"I spoke to the skull but it didnt answer me... under other circumstances I would have approached it and opened the door but well... we have no rogue this time to check for traps and I dont trust it." he said as he flew around Eduardo.

"I can blow it and the door up if you want though... probably safer that way since those flies are strange and stuff..."

By the way, Welby is invisible... so there is just a little flying globe of light that can be seen (the Light on the crossbow bolt) though Eduardo off course registers my life force

Elfstone
2011-05-21, 09:04 AM
Quin turns to see the newcomer...

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-21, 09:44 AM
No, don't destroy the skull. Although you cannot speak to it, perhaps I can. And as soon as one of our allies checks it for traps, I will attempt to do so. I believe the spirit that once inhabited it may be able to tell us something useful.

The Master of Death begins the 10 minute ritual that will allow him to touch the imprint of spirit left on the skull. Although a full corpse would produce better results, the skull would still be able to speak to him. Eduardo suspects that the last moments of this child's life will have left... strong impressions in the bones.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-21, 01:05 PM
By the way, Welby is invisible...
Sorry, sorry-forgot. Okay... Made a note of it. =D

A dark-robed figure, face obscured by a hood, has staggered in. The figure shoos away a flock of fairies, taking a seat at one of the tables in a poorly lit section of the bar.
Acererak shakes his head, "Reclaim the world for good? You're insinuating good was 'here' first!"
He laughs.
"You, my friend, are a true laugh riot!"

Looking at the skull, Harley avoids touching it, and Dranga maintains her distance.
"I can't see anything blatantly wrong with it," Harley breathes with relief, "If its a trap-its magical in nature, and beyond my own abilities... On another note... It's recent..."

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-21, 01:08 PM
On completion of his ritual, Eduardo stands before the skull.

Spirit! he calls. Spirit, awake! I call you forth and command you to speak. Give us a sign and show us you are present.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-21, 01:17 PM
I see know preparation of Speak with Dead for Eduardo if that is indeed the ritual he is casting...

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-21, 01:20 PM
Huh? It's right under Halt Undead on my death delver spells prepared list.

Elfstone
2011-05-21, 01:54 PM
"Isn't that the point? Can't live life without humor. I understand if you are intimidated however, so I will let it go. Whos the new guy?"

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-21, 01:56 PM
Huh? It's right under Halt Undead on my death delver spells prepared list.
Ah! I see it!

The skull shudders and shakes upon the ground, and the flies buzz about in Eduardo and Harley's faces.
Disgusted, the ritual continues with the skull shaking and jumping along the ground before it stops, and the flies return.

At this moment, Pharrah arrives with Jake and Shudu, leaving everyone crammed on the stairway, looking over Eduardo's shoulder.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-21, 01:58 PM
Acererak doesn't respond to Quin's question.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-21, 02:02 PM
Good, the ritual worked...

Eduardo crosses his arms and stares down at the skull.

Spirit, he says, I must ask you a few questions. I understand that you may not recall your past life with perfect accuracy, but it is very important that you try. I want you to think and answer as carefully and completely as you can.

First... Tell me anything you can about the tomb beyond this point, headed deeper in.

Eduardo motions past the skull at the door.

Anything at all will be helpful, from its layout to its guardians and pitfalls, or even evens you can remember occuring within, no matter how minor or inconsequential.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-21, 02:07 PM
Could you phrase them as questions? It's easier for me, and more along the lines of the spell...

Shuddering, the skull's jawbones split.
"Ask. And I Will Answer."
It is the distorted voice of a child, race and gender indistinct.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-21, 02:10 PM
Very good. How many rooms and chambers do you know of beyond this one and what do they hold?

By the way, if anyone has an idea of what to ask they can go ahead and say so. "Oh, ask it this, or ask it that!

Elfstone
2011-05-21, 02:13 PM
How he died, and if he has any loot nearby!

Raising an eyebrow Quin finishes his mead and heads over to the stranger.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-21, 02:15 PM
Very good. How many rooms and chambers do you know of beyond this one and what do they hold?
THat's TWO questions! And you get five...

By the way, if anyone has an idea of what to ask they can go ahead and say so. "Oh, ask it this, or ask it that!
Good idea.

"I Know Of Two Rooms... An Agitated Chamber, and A Crypt..."
The skull pauses.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-21, 02:19 PM
Everyone is frozen... Quin and the stranger alone appears to be moving...
Drawing symbols on the table with a spilt wine, the stranger appears oblivious to the sudden silence.
A kobold and his date are frozen, hands held in a loving embrace.
A hill dwarf is paralyzed, mid-bite.
The bartender stands perfectly still, his slop-rag poised with deadly accuracy above a drunken moth.
When the dwarven cleric takes his seat, the stranger shows no sign of even noticing Quin, and continues drawing.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-21, 02:24 PM
Eduardo smiles amusedly at his friends.

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Don't worry, it will answer.

What do the rooms hold?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-21, 02:33 PM
"In The Crypt, You Will Find Death, Himself."
There is another pause.
"Aaaaaaaand, a big shiny mace that looks like one of the ones I saw in that museum in Halverfiln... The Agitated Chamber... Has Sofas, Chairs, Tables, Braziers, Vases And Urns And Aapestries... They Looked Like Ancient Treasure!"
Harley grunts.
"Ask it how it came to be in this place..."

Elfstone
2011-05-21, 02:46 PM
Quin tries to decipher what the symbols say.

(Wont let me roll, so its up to you. Know Relg, Spellcraft, and Decipher script are my top choices)

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-21, 03:23 PM
Eduardo grunts at Harley's request. Perhaps he would ask it that if he had time, but it seemed somehow... less pressing. He wobbles his head a little as if to say "maybe."

Death himself - what was this Death like? I mean, what did he say and do?

Misaat
2011-05-21, 06:59 PM
" Ask him if there is something ahead that we could use to fight the evil's of this chamber "

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-22, 12:29 PM
"We Didn't Meet Him. He Whispered Cruel, Wicked Things. He Made Phyllis Split In Two."
Daina gasps, "Ask how many are left."

Quin will never know what the symbols were-Dresden wipes them away with an angry sweep with his arm as he takes ahold of the dwarf by the tunic.
"We're leaving. Now."
As the wizard roughly lifts Quin from his seat, the dwarf's drinks begins to fall, then freezes in mid-air like everything else. The table and chairs are similarily frozen in mid-fall.
Quin can feel all his strength sapped in Dresden unusually iron-tight grip.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-22, 12:38 PM
A fair question Daina, but probably irrelevent. The child will not have any information about after his death, and for all we know, Acererak will have killed the rest of the children after this one.

The Master does, however, examin the skull to try and estimate how long ago the child was killed. Was the flesh stripped, or did it rot? Does any remain?

heal check to assess: [roll0]

What methods were used to control and hurt you and the others?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-22, 09:55 PM
Daina nods, "I suppose you're right..."
As the skull waits for further instructions from Eduardo, the Master of Death is unable to determine the cause of death, however, sizable teeth marks, in arrangement suggestion fangs and the large teeth of predators crisscross the bones. Not a single scrap of flesh remains-yet the flies persistently crawl across the bones...
"He Brought Us Inside With Magic. And We Were Afraid-He Spoke And We Had To Listen."

Monodominant
2011-05-23, 02:40 AM
"I dont think the skull can reveal much more... it is after all the skull of a child with limited understanding of the world and can only recall what it knew in life..." said Welby feeling a bit unnerved from the process.

"Perhaps you can ask it what is behind this door but I dont think we can get much more out of it..." he said and looked at the door more carefully but from a distance.

"The door is somehow protected with abjuration you say... If I did not know better I would say its a magical trap... Perhaps we can try dispelling it as I think activating it could be lethal... especially with all of us gathered here like this... so tell me when and I can give it a try... Dranga can do the same..."

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-23, 08:54 AM
Very well.

Spirit, what lays beyond this door?

Elfstone
2011-05-23, 10:09 AM
Just a reminder, Necro effects.. Are a no go.

Urm. Okay? Can I get another mead?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-23, 05:06 PM
Just a reminder, Necro effects.. Are a no go.
Yeah yeah.

Aaaaaaand, I think that's five questions.

"Everything You Are Looking For And Everything You Would Hope Not To Find. Tell My Parents I Was Good."
The skull falls silent.

Dresden pauses, "Whatever-I don't even know how you got here, make it quick and let's go..."

Dranga gingerly casts Dispel Magic upon the door, and cries aloud as her magic fails with a buzzing noise in her ears.
"Too powerful, Welby..."
She examines the door.
"There's no lock..."

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-23, 06:36 PM
Perhaps we should have Shudu check it. He is a skilled trap-springer.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-23, 07:03 PM
Shudu doesn't look to happy about this idea, but he doesn't dare risk Eduardo's disapproval...
Holding back his coughs behind the cloth, Shudu examines the door for any traps. After some time, he decides to risk opening the door...
It swings open with a strong push from Shudu, and before the party the hallway stretches onward, ending at an identical door.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/OasysWebmaster/Durasteel/explodingskullofdoom.jpg
Awwwwwwwwwww, they're all bunched up so close...
:smallamused:

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-23, 09:06 PM
Eduardo smirks at Sudu.

After you, Scout.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-23, 09:08 PM
Scowling, Shudu makes a rude hand gesture, then steps through the doorway, and promptly disappears through the floor, a illusionary veil, with a drawn out scream.

Misaat
2011-05-23, 09:12 PM
"Well that wasn't nice..."

Says Maki while getting a little closer to everyone.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-23, 09:14 PM
Gods.

Shudu! Can you hear me? the Master calls.

LOL.

Monodominant
2011-05-25, 03:58 AM
Welby rushes through his little wings flapping as he dives behind the man.

"WELBY TO THE RESCUE" he calls out.

*kicks Oasis.

Wake up!

Chance to critically anger the DM [roll0] - need 1000 and below.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-25, 05:23 PM
*kicks Oasis.
Oooof.
Why the 1000234-sided dice?

LOL.
You laugh now...
Wait a while...

Ohmygod...
I can't believe I got Welby!

Welby is below an Anti-magic Field in a Deeper Darkness spell

"Yes! I'm okay... I think...
Welby, you and eager as ever, makes a mistake...
Diving through the illusionary veil, he enters an Anti-Magic field, all his magical protections, items and spells become suppressed, and the halfling sorceror finds himself in free-fall!
He hardly gets any time to panic before the magic returns, and Welby catches himself. Wings flapping to keep himself aloft, Welby is in total darkness, powerful magic suppressing his own illuminating magic.
Harley shuffles to the edge of the pit through which Shudu had fallen, and Welby had rashly entered.
"Shudu! Welby? What's down there?"
"It's dark! I've fallen a decent way, but I've landed on what I think is flour-there's treasure down he-"
Daina shoves Eduardo and Harley aside.
"Treasure?"
"Yeah! There are cups, and a sword, and a rod... And there's dead cleric!"
"If you can't see-"
"I can feel his holy symbol! It's gold! Heironeus!!!!!"
Daina begins to rub her hands together, a gleam in her eye.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-25, 06:40 PM
Leave the treasure where it lies if you have any sense. Nothing in this tomb has been of any use to us -- in fact, it has all been mortally dangerous. The presence of a corpse is only a means of restating the obvious. I am not prepared to speak again to the dead before we rest, though I would very much like a word with this cleric of Heironious.

Somebody throw a rope down to our commrades.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-25, 07:15 PM
There is a hacking and coughing noise as Shudu and Jake enter another fit of coughing.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-25, 10:10 PM
Strange... My restorative ointment should have cured them. Jake, let me have a look at you. This could be even more serious than I feared.

The Master of Death peers at the bard, examining his eyes, throat and skin for telltale signs of symptoms. Was his cure working slowly, or not at all?

Heal [roll0]

Monodominant
2011-05-26, 01:12 AM
Welby starts yelling loudly.

"STOP PLAYING WITH LOOT THAT IS TRAPPED OR CURSED OR WORSE! You think the guy that has put traps in traps while offering treasures that are traps did it just so you can be rich and powerful?"

Welby flies around in the Darkness testing the limits of the AMF to see where it stops and where it starts so he can have a precise detailed layout and then considers his next move for some moments.

"Okay so we are in deep magical darkness right? And above us there is an Anti magic field... so there can be no magical darkness in the anti magic field... so lets try this..." the halfling puts away his rod and his now non glowing arrow and lights his lantern and lifts his hand over in the AMF.

FireSickle
2011-05-26, 07:52 AM
Holy snap! You guys are still going!!! Incredible, I'm gonna have to go back and read whats happened since I departed, Bravo to your persistence :-D

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 04:50 PM
Harley holds a torch for the everyone to see, now that Welby's own magical light is gone...
Jake removes the cloth to allow the Master to look at him.
His throat is clearly swollen, as to be expected with a serious cough.
His eyes are bloodshot, his nose and lips are flecked with small grains of dust after Eduardo has a closer look...
Dashing to the side, Eduardo avoids the cloud of dust that Jake hackingly vaults from his lungs as whatever he breathed in reacts.
The cloud hangs on the air for a moment before dissipating.

Damn. I missed.
:smallsigh:
Eduardo rolled a successful Reflex Save.
Horrified and apologetic, Jake turns away, and covers his face once more, to avoid spreading anything more by coughing.
Clearly, the ointment isn't working as well as Eduardo would have hoped...

Holy snap! You guys are still going!!! Incredible, I'm gonna have to go back and read whats happened since I departed, Bravo to your persistence :-D
I have to say, this has been a lot of fun! XD
Dresden tugs harshly on Quin's shoulder.
"Forget the drink. Let's go. Now."
His voice sounds a little panicked.

In response to Welby's words of wisdom, Shudu coughs.
"Hey! There's a DOOR down here!"
First, Welby flies up. He hits the Anti-magic Field and as he falls, is once again able to catch himself. From there, he moves, left and right, back and forth, and determines the pit to be a 10 foot square, presumably matching up with the walls of the Tomb...
Sticking the lantern up into the field, the fellow members of his party see it, and the light from it, twenty feet into the pit.
Seeing what he's trying to do, Daina calls out to Welby, "You're twenty feet down Welby!"
With this knowledge in mind, Welby can now count off the height or depth of the pit.
Moving ten feet down, it is dark.
Twenty.
Thirty.
Still Darkness...
Using Detect Magic, Dranga offers a report, "There's abjuration and evocation magic inside that pit... And I'm pretty sure the walls have been protected in the same way that stone block behind us has..."

Speaking of stone blocks, standing next to it, Maki suddenly has the distinct feeling he is being watched...

Does Welby continue headed down?
I dunno if its clear... But AMF is 20 feet from the lip of the pit, and the Darkness starts at 20 feet, and goes down atleast to 50 feet. If a crude map is necessary, just say so...

Elfstone
2011-05-26, 05:00 PM
Quin replies "Fine. Lets go"

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 05:47 PM
As they step through the door, Acererak's movement speeds up...
Clawed hands swinging through the air, the demi-lich screams as his clawed attack slams through the closing door, spraying the back of Dresden and Quin with splinters.
Whirling around, the two can see no sign of the bar-they're at a river-dock on a sandy beach.
Berthed in the fog, is a large ship. A trireme.
Pointing, Dresden makes his way to the boarding plank.
"That's our ride."

Elfstone
2011-05-26, 05:50 PM
"No need to tell me twice." Quin says as he books it.

Hey I was supposed to get a free ride home. No level loss. Right?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 06:18 PM
Hey I was supposed to get a free ride home. No level loss. Right?
Yes level loss.
:smallsigh:

The sails are torn and tattered, and the horrible mourning of enslaved souls deafen Quin.
Chained into the seats of the upper-deck and onto their oars, Quin can see all kinds of adventurer's, doomed to row this hell-ship for all eternity. Some of the seats are empty, but most of them are full-and the depressing mourning ventures from the holds below as well...
The Captain is easily recognizable...
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3017/242702-castlevania_the_ferryman_01_large.jpg
Flanked by a pair of marraenoloths, Charon, the ferryman watches as Quin and Dresden board.
http://www.angelfire.com/games2/labyrinth/book/PSMS/12b.jpg
The slave master, a nycaloth with it's lower arms ending in stumps at the elbows, carries a pair of fiery whips and watches the souls with a burning gleam in its eyes.
Behind the two men, the ramp falls to the water as the ship surges forward without a word from Charon.
Past Charon and his marraenoloth guard, Quin hears his name called...
A hoarse dry whisper.
A call for help.
Dresden doesn't appear to hear it, since he nudges the dwarf, saying, "Be very careful-I wouldn't trust Charon at all, if I were you... He's carrying us out of Limbo to a place I know on the Astral..."

Please don't point out that the Roman, not the Greeks used triremes. I know. Chiron Charon obviously got an upgrade.
:smallwink:

Elfstone
2011-05-26, 06:26 PM
Lol Chiron? Where is the centuar!!!
Dam it now I have to think of a Maki solution to this problem...

"If you say so... I am not afraid of him or anyone else here. My Faith protects me"

Fun fact about Quin #9: To promote his gods powers, he named his breastplate faith.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 06:29 PM
Fun fact about Quin #9: To promote his gods powers, he named his breastplate faith.
lol
Do you actually have a list?

Dresden shrugs, he keeps his hands in his pockets, and his eyes straight forward.
The voice calls to Quin again.
There is the snap of a whip, and one of the souls cries out in agony.

Elfstone
2011-05-26, 06:37 PM
"What?!" Quin turns angrily....

Not per say but I know most of them.

You want a list?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 06:58 PM
You want a list?
I'd like to see it...

Dresden looks around, "Who in Carceri are you talking to-"
But Quin isn't listening...
Where a dozen or so seats can be seen empty, he sees Bob and Trevor, chained to the oars of the terrible vessel...
But to speak to them, he'll have to pass by Charon and his crew...

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-26, 07:18 PM
Damnit... This looks beyond my skill to heal. If the cleric were here he might be of some use. I'll do what I can for you in the mean time.

Heal check, trying to help Jake in any way I can WITHOUT getting dust on myself.

[roll0]

I think he needs to drink and wash. Does anyone have potable water?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 07:25 PM
Despite his brave words, Eduardo is at a loss. There's nothing he can do for these men...

NOW would be the PERFECT time for a placebo...

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-26, 07:49 PM
Great, except if the actual medicine didn't help, why would a placebo help?

Elfstone
2011-05-26, 07:53 PM
Now some of these have been revealed....
Funnest fact about Quin: Quin once served as a dancing bar maid. Long story.
Fun fact #2: Quin enjoys relaxing at his local temple while playing cards with those who come to pray.
Fun fact #3: Quin once traveled with a good mindflayer/beholder cross breed and a werewolf sorcerer. The band was named "The rotten brains"
Fun fact #4: Quin was raised by his father and never met his mother until he applied for priesthood(Moradin's little surprise for him)
Fun fact #5: Quin, unlike other dwarves enjoys the company of the local elves near his temple, specificly, out doing them in acts of great good and healing. He find Corrilien to be a bit lacklust in that department.

All I have time to post.

Quin pretends to stare out across the boat and sudden runs over to Charon "Hey, whats that?" After randomly pointing to a shadow in the mist.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 08:03 PM
Great, except if the actual medicine didn't help, why would a placebo help?
Oh, it'll do nothing, but Eduardo has already said he's gonna help them the best he can, and not doing anything will hurt his rep. Atleast they can suffer hopefully.
XD

Fun fact #4: Quin was raised by his father and never met his mother until he applied for priesthood(Moradin's little surprise for him)
What?
=P

These are good.

Glaring, Charon merely ignores him as Dresden places his head in its hands.
"Gods, its happening again..."
Nursing a hangover, it is clear the wizard is NOT at all happy at the recent turn of events...
With a free path to his former allies, Quin can see that they have been chained to the oars and rails of the ship as well...

Misaat
2011-05-26, 08:06 PM
Maki looks Carefully at the stonewall next to him.

"Emm Guys... is someone else getting a strange feeling?"

Spot check:[roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-26, 08:06 PM
Well, I guess when I get some water or wine I will tell them it will help to drink it!

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 08:16 PM
That was a TERRIBLE roll, Misaat.

Well, I guess when I get some water or wine I will tell them it will help to drink it!
lol, when you're coughing up dust, anything is sure to help if its a liquid.

Pharrah peers at the barbarian, "Do you see anything?"
Daina calls back at them, "He better not be talking about any 'bad feelings', because we really don't need any of those right now..."
Maki looks round and round, and there's nothing abnormal about the stretche of hallway that he can see...
But he just can't shake that feeling...

Elfstone
2011-05-26, 08:17 PM
Quin quickly pats himself down to see what tools he has as well as scanning the deck. Preferably anything useful to unlock his freinds.

HAH. More NPCs for you Oasy. Im looking for all the back up I can get.

Also
As a reward for joining up, Moradin directed his mother, a priest in the clergy, to come to the temple Quin would soon apply to.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 08:23 PM
Quin is sorry to find that he has nothing on him except for the clothing over his armor. There are probably tools to be found on the ship...
But does he really wish to go exploring about on-
Bob opens his mouth to say something, but is unable to articulate properly, as his jaw breaks off, bouncing across the deck to Quin's feet.
Behind him, Snake and Trevor continue to row in time, to the sound of a drummer below deck.

Misaat
2011-05-26, 08:24 PM
The feeling from being watched came from the wall at Maki's side right?

Maki pulls out his Falchion.

" I dont know if its a bad feeling or not... but ill find out now..."

Maki stares at the wall...

One last spot check if i still dont see anything ... Maki will attack it XD

Spot:[roll0]

Elfstone
2011-05-26, 08:33 PM
Doess Quin still have his spells?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 08:39 PM
Doess Quin still have his spells?
No spell components...

The feeling from being watched came from the wall at Maki's side right?
RIGHT at the base of his neck...

Maki can see nothing... There's the stone block and the hole Pharrah had made to-as soon as he draws his falchion, the 'feeling' goes away...

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-26, 08:41 PM
Eduardo looks back at Maki waving his falchion about.

What's all this then?

He tries to spot the source of Maki's so-called feeling.

Spot [roll0] and Deathwach is up.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-26, 08:43 PM
Not even the Master is able to discern what has troubled the barbarian...
He doesn't see anything odd, and his Deathwatch reveals nothing unusual...
Perhaps Maki was simply stressed?
Next to him, Pharrah shrugs, making a spinning motion next to her ear.

Elfstone
2011-05-26, 08:50 PM
Quin walks over to his friends, pretending nothing is amiss before speaking, as if to himself. "I wonder how Snake and the others are doing."

Misaat
2011-05-26, 08:51 PM
Maki thinks:

"The feeling its gone...But it went away as i unsheated my Falchion... So ill keep it around..."

Then he says.

"How deep is that hole?"

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-26, 09:04 PM
Eduardo calls down into the pit.

Shudu, do you have a rope? Toss it up if you do and we'll pull you out.

Misaat
2011-05-26, 09:07 PM
" Wait... Are you sure?... That pit... I dont think touching it's sides would be prudent... I dont know why but the less we touch that pit the best... Doenst Welby have a Dimention Door scroll? Maybe he can use it. Parrah could use that spell just fine to get us here..."

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-27, 09:08 PM
They are not doing well...
Snake, and Bob bare the marks of their death in the Hall, and new wounds as well-scars run across their backs, blood cakes their skin and their hare hair is clumped and patchy.
Quin can smell the combination of sweat and despair, blood and damnation and tears and dejected suffering.
Trevor bears the mark of his death too, and Quin can see James, his eyes torn out, has been chained to an oar as well...
It is Bob who was calling his name, though now, the man has fallen silent, merely rowing and staring at the cleric...

From within the pit, Shudu coughs before calling back up, "I can't throw it that high!"
Pointing downward, Pharrah looks at Maki carefully, wondering if he's playing a joke.
"It's atleast twenty feet deep... I think that could work... But I'd need a better idea of the pit's Dimensions to avoid appearing in the Field, and getting transported elsewhere..."
Despite Pharrah's own mask of disbelief, Maki KNOWS he was begin watched, and clutching his weapon, he DOES feel a little better...

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-27, 10:39 PM
No need for that, Pharrah. Just climb down the side of the pit. The anti-magic field should have no effect on your uncanny ability to climb.

Don't you remember the time we were in the cold iron caverns where no magic can function and the wind made the sound of the moaning dead? You climbed to the roof of the cavern and threw down the eye of the Iron Lord as if you were half spider.

Take the rope from the scout and bring it up. He and Welby can climb out.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-27, 11:13 PM
Pharrah licks her lips, and for a moment, Eduardo wonders is his apprentice is about to attack him...
Then she smiles.
"Sure. Anybody got a rope?"

Misaat
2011-05-27, 11:43 PM
"... I dont know if that pit was designed to just be climbed up... "

Maki says while still looking around and then a small thought struck him.

If the floor in front of them was an illusion... What else on this passageway could be...

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-28, 03:14 PM
Shudu has rope. If one of us up here had one, we would simply throw it down to them.

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-28, 03:29 PM
Pharrah smacks her forehead, "Oh, wait, hang on-Maki has a point..."
She makes her way to the edge of the pit, and looks downward.
"Climbing out is a problem, and getting in is easy... But getting out by any other means should be easy.... And this door may warrant investigating..."
That said. Pharrah very carefully and slowly, attempts to crawl down the side of the walls in a most spider-like fashion. Quickly, she disappears from sight as she enters the Darkness.
Harley peers over the edge, using the torch to try and illuminate any other clues to be found within the pit, and the hallway.

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-28, 03:35 PM
Indeed, feel free to take a look at the door while you are down there... but the fact that there is a wasted away corpse at the bottom of the pit tells me that just maybe the door is a trick.

If need be, could you dimension door our friends up from the bottom?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-29, 09:05 PM
"I see no reason why not..."
Pharrah disappears into the darkness...

I need to know what Welby is doing before I proceed... Does he continue to explore the extent of the Darkness? Or remain in his mid-way position?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/OasysWebmaster/Durasteel/aburnunsensation.jpg

Elfstone
2011-05-29, 09:29 PM
Quin examines how strong the chains binding them are.

Monodominant
2011-05-30, 02:55 AM
I aint going in no inky blackness just like that!

Welby is a bit uneasy about all the goings on. He stays flying in the mid point just below the AMF and holding the lantern so that there is light around.

"I generally think that exploring in the dark may not be the best idea people. Lets just meet with everyone via a dimension door and then fly over this whole chasm..."

He moved around a bit until the others started disappearing and he turned angrily and called.

"Okay I am tired of this. Lets see if we can do something about it" he said and started waving his hands around casting a series of spells.

I am casting dispel trying to dispel the darkness spell. Even if it has "permanency" it will be suppresed for some time (dont recall for how long) and allow us to see around.

I cast it a total of four times IF the previous one doesnt work.

So dispel check [roll0]
If that didnt work again [roll1]
If that didnt work once more [roll2]
and finally [roll3]

Edit: A bit anticlimatic that my first try is the strongest but I guess its as close to the max as I could get (18 on the dice)...

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-30, 07:22 PM
The chains are solid iron, and covered in hoarfrost... As Quin reaches toward them, Charon glares at the dwarf, his eyes suddenly alight with fire.
All the souls cowering about the ship huddle and shake in fear, and the rowing of the boat falters...
In response...
The nycaloth snaps it's whip, slashing through the imprisoned soul of an elven ranger on the portside.
There is a crack of lightning, and fierce heat washes across the whole ship. As Quin throws his hand up to protect his face, he hears an anguished scream of pain and abject terror.
As he looks again, the elven ranger is gone, and ashy pile of soot and equally ashy and sooty chains and an ashy and sooty oar are all that remain.
The chained oarsmen row furiously, and the ship surges forward.

Quin can still try and touch the chains. This is an Interrupt I suppose...

I aint going in no inky blackness just like that!
Suit yourself!

Welby's first casting of Dispel Magic creates a distinct *pop* as he manages to suppress the magic that had made seeing into the pit impossible.
By the light of his lantern and his Light spell, everyone can see a great deal more clearly into the pit.
Covered from head-to-toe in flour, Shudu waves up good-naturedly at Pharrah and Welby and Eduardo.
In response, the Apprentice merely makes a rude hand-gesture and proceeds downward...
A clicking sound begins to emanate from the walls of the pit, echoing around Welby, and Pharrah begins to move faster.
From his position, Eduardo can clearly see the body of the dead cleric far below; a spear sticks out of his chest, and a knife from his neck.
Furthermore, he can see the door on the west wall of the pit, as well as a lever on the east wall.
Littered amongst flour, are a rod, and a large blue vase, and Shudu points to a sword...

Misaat
2011-05-30, 07:51 PM
" Welby could you check if that sword is magical?"

Human Paragon 3
2011-05-30, 08:16 PM
Do the walls of the pit appear to be moving inward?

I see the cleric must have quite some tail to tell, and I mean to hear it. If we must flee before I get my chance, the skull comes with us, lest it remain silent and its advice unheard. Welby, can you take it?

TheOasysMaster
2011-05-30, 08:32 PM
They are NOT moving.

Everyone takes a step back from the pit at the clicking noise, and Pharrah begins to move even faster toward the bottom.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-01, 06:25 PM
No posts?
:smallmad:
What is wrong?
:smallconfused:

Elfstone
2011-06-01, 06:48 PM
Quin remains silent until their desitnation.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-01, 07:08 PM
Quin remains silent until their desitnation.
REALLY? Not gonna try and see if we can get a Titanic repeat?

The ship sails on without incident, and though once in a while, one of his former friends would call his name, the only change in the voyage is the backdrop upon which this dastardly vessel sails.
Leaving the shore of his Limbo-esque bar behind, Quin feels a little disconcerted as Charon steers his ship along a vast river flowing through the empty space of the Astral Plane.
Peering about, Quin can see large masses of rock and other elements floating about, and the forms and various chests of travelers and adventurers on other Planes.
Steering to a particular island, Charon raises a hand and the drums and rowing stops.
He holds out an open hand.
"No. Not possible-we've already agreed. We already paid, it's part of the Pro-
Charon snaps his bony fingers with a low growl and holds out his opened hand to Quin instead, while Dresden, still holding his aching head, splutters in rage and anger.

Charon DOES NOT accept ApprenticeCard, cheques or letters-of-mark. 'Deals' require an arbiter from the Lower Planes. Credit checks are made before boarding for his convenience.
Have a nice death.

Misaat
2011-06-01, 07:09 PM
I was waiting for Eduardo to post XD there is not much Maki can do now.

characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-01, 07:11 PM
I was waiting for Eduardo to post XD there is not much Maki can do now.
Jump across the pit?
It's only 10 feet.

Misaat
2011-06-01, 07:48 PM
Jump across the pit?
It's only 10 feet.

OH YOU WOULD LIKE THAT WOULDNT YOU?! But no

characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-01, 07:53 PM
OH YOU WOULD LIKE THAT WOULDNT YOU?! But no
Heehee...
You know, technically, if four people enter the pit, there's no way they can't get out using a rope and some thinking.
This IS a thinking problem...
With a sudden death contingency...
Would a map help to solve it? Of course, there are actually a few ways to do it, especially once you know the entirety of the trap...
But I have one in mind in particular that brings a smile to my face.
Llama llama!

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-01, 08:20 PM
I've been busy / waiting on Pharrah and Welby. I was hoping that somebody in the pit would grab the cleric's skull for me! As for our friends, I have no doubt they will make it out. Pharrah can spider climb the rope up to us and the others can just climb! In the mean time, I'll cast Jump.

The Master of Death speaks a charm under his breath and his legs bow ever so slightly like that of a frog.

Stop lollygagging and get out of the pit.

By the way, what's on the other side of the pit?

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-02, 08:20 PM
Nimbly leaping across, Eduardo lands safely on the other side.
Before him, ten feet away from the mouth of the pit, is another door, identical to the one the party has just opened.

I'm waiting for something, anything from Welby, before I proceed.

Monodominant
2011-06-03, 07:46 AM
Welby flies towards the bottom and casts detect magic and waits for 3 rounds so he can discern the types of magic.

He checks especially the sword, the skull, the walls, the vase and the rod and the walls but is carefully not to touch anything. He also tries to be a mid point distance for wherever the clicking is coming from.

He is especially carefully if he notices abjuration and evocation magic.

Sorry for the delay...

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-04, 07:22 PM
Flying down, Welby hits the second Anti-magic field the moment the clicking stops.
Above, the Darkness, temporarily suppressed by the child-sorceror, returns.
Spinning over and over, Welby lands in the flour next to Shudu in the dark bottom of the pit.
The Scout, panicked by the sudden loss of sight swings wildly with the sword he's found, "Who's that!?!?! What's happening!??!"
Then he dissolves into a fit of coughing.
"Light! That's what we need! Light! Someone make a light!"
Shudu continues to cough.
Welby hears and senses Pharrah landing next to him with a soft thud.
She gasps as she sinks up to her thighs in the finely ground flour, floundering.

Misaat
2011-06-04, 07:34 PM
" Are you guys okay down there? "

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-04, 08:38 PM
There is an audible *crunch* of a broken nose as Shudu, swinging sword and axe wildly, smashes into a wall.
"LIGHT!"

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-04, 08:39 PM
When did Shudu become the most incompetent character ever? Also, I thought welby dispeled the darkness.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-04, 08:54 PM
Also, I thought welby dispeled the darkness.
*clicking noises* begin when the Deeper Darkness is Dispelled.
*clicking noises* stop when Deeper Darkness resets.

When did Shudu become the most incompetent character ever?
It means he isn't long for this world...
...I think it was around that time he put his hand into that hole filled with money.

EDIT: The door Eduardo stands before is identical to the last one...

Misaat
2011-06-04, 09:07 PM
*clicking noises* begin when the Deeper Darkness is Dispelled.
*clicking noises* stop when Deeper Darkness resets.

It means he isn't long for this world...
...I think it was around that time he put his hand into that hole filled with money.

Cant really argue with that XD

" Parrah! Are you okay? Think you can get them outta there?"

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-04, 09:09 PM
Calling from below, Pharrah yells upward.
"Yes, I can!"
Wading through the flour, she wrestles the rope away from Shudu.
Then, Welby hears her stop.
The dark, bottom of the pit is silent, except for Shudu's coughing.
"I can't climb out!"

Misaat
2011-06-04, 09:13 PM
" Well obviously. If you could just climb up it wouldn't be much of a trap would it? Can you teleport them? "

Elfstone
2011-06-04, 10:01 PM
*Cough* Where the hell is Quin*cough*

Misaat
2011-06-04, 10:05 PM

Oh no the sand people got you tooż?

Characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-04, 11:47 PM

The ship sails on without incident, and though once in a while, one of his former friends would call his name, the only change in the voyage is the backdrop upon which this dastardly vessel sails.
Leaving the shore of his Limbo-esque bar behind, Quin feels a little disconcerted as Charon steers his ship along a vast river flowing through the empty space of the Astral Plane.
Peering about, Quin can see large masses of rock and other elements floating about, and the forms and various chests of travelers and adventurers on other Planes.
Steering to a particular island, Charon raises a hand and the drums and rowing stops.
He holds out an open hand.
"No. Not possible-we've already agreed. We already paid, it's part of the Pro-
Charon snaps his bony fingers with a low growl and holds out his opened hand to Quin instead, while Dresden, still holding his aching head, splutters in rage and anger.
He's on Charon's ship on a river on the Astral Plane. And the captain is asking for fare before they disembark...

Welby and Maki hear Pharrah make an exasperated sigh.
"No, I can't there's an Anti-magic-oh, forget it, I have the rope-I'm coming up!"
"Ligh-"
"Oh, shutup about the damn light! Welby, light a tindertwig for him, the big baby..."
With that Pharrah begins to make her way out of the pit.

Elfstone
2011-06-04, 11:52 PM
Quin pats his pockets and finding nothing, gives the captain a wave and disembarks.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-05, 01:36 AM
As Quin hits the water feet first, he can hear Dresden leaping off the edge of the ship just behind him, and the swish of air as Charon himself swipes at their collars.
The water is salty and warm, and pleasant, the waves and current steadily pulls the dwarf beneath the surface.
Tugging on Quin's beard, Dresden still manages to hide his face underwater, and furiously points downward, deeper into the water.

Monodominant
2011-06-05, 04:28 AM
Welby starts cursing a childrens curses, no bad words but rather mixed silly names and alot of anger.

"Okay. Be quiet you and your light." he says loudly.

With deft movements he uses a tinderwig to light his lantern and shed some light around.

"Whoever thought of twin AMFs mixed with Darkness!" he mumbles.

by the way as far as I understand the deeper darkness is still suppressed. Me going into the AMF (bottom) doesnt affect the area dispell. Its just that we lost light since I went into the AMF and the light spell doesnt work...

Elfstone
2011-06-05, 11:21 AM
The DD was recast a short time after you removed it.
Quin nods and continues down into the deeps. He chuckles to himself, thinking what happens if he dies in the after life.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-05, 12:37 PM
Toss the rope up to us. We'll pull you out. Maybe if you climbed onto one anothers' shoulders...

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-06, 06:09 PM
With deft movements he uses a tinderwig to light his lantern and shed some light around.
:smallamused: Gotcha.

3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion)
2 (http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/question150.htm)
1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Qf4eRDnS0&feature=related)
Aaaaaaaand... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tq63Sd_Wmo&feature=related)
BOOM
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyBCQoA8xw)

by the way as far as I understand the deeper darkness is still suppressed. Me going into the AMF (bottom) doesnt affect the area dispell. Its just that we lost light since I went into the AMF and the light spell doesnt work...

The DD was recast a short time after you removed it.
Elfstone has got it!

[roll0] Fire Damage to Welby

There is rush of hot air, and Eduardo the others a driven back by the intense heat of the exploding flour. Angry and fierce, the fire engulfs Welby, Shudu and Pharrah, tearing the very air from their lungs and skin and hair ignite as well.

[roll1] Damage to Eduardo and Maki

Angrily climbing up the pit, Eduardo and Maki avoid the worst of the fiery blast.
Harley and Daina throw themselves back, and Dranga gasps in surprise...

On the Astral, Quin swims deeper and deeper, and the ambient light of the Astral above him grows dimmer, as he follows the bubbles of Quin downwards.

1st round of air. Gone. Tell me how far you want to go.

The fire, terrible and hot is met with a blessing. As soon as all the flour is consumed, Welby, Shudu and Pharrah fall to the actual bottom of the pit, free of the Antimagic Field!

Elfstone
2011-06-06, 07:37 PM
I soo expected that.

Anyway, Quin is dead.. He can't die again.
Quin will go as far as he can without going back, then tell me and Ill make a choice..

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-06, 08:05 PM
The Master of Death feels the singed hair around his mustache and brushes a layer of ash off his cloak.

Is anyone all right down there? Eduardo quips, peering down into the pit.

I wouldn't be so sure, Elfstone. Maki died while dead.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-06, 08:51 PM
Shudu doesn't reply.
Pharrah merely groans.

Quin surges downwards...
His lungs feel as if they will burst!

[roll0] Constitution check to avoid drowning...

Releasing his final reserves of air, Quin makes a final series of bubbles as stars begin to flash through his eyes...

Does he go on? At this point, really no choice though... The question is... Would I kill him in this fashion?
"Master, the rope is gone... But I can Dimension Door us out, along with the skull... Shudu's gone..."

Failed his Save from massive damage.

Elfstone
2011-06-06, 09:00 PM
Naw, you have more flair. Its prolly an illusion filled with invisible snakes... What? Who said that? Was it Maki? I heard nothing.

Quin keeps going

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-06, 09:02 PM
Eduardo nods.

In a way it was a mercy. He was dying from sickness and did not take to the medicine as well as Jake. Come, Pharrah. Maybe we can find Quin.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-06, 09:08 PM
I think we should now wait for Maki or Monodominant...
I just remembered I ruled Maki's boots should be recharged, so he should be able to jump across no problem...
...and monodominant, though alive, may have some questions to put forth about this trap. Though everyone on the Playground seem to call it fair as a trap, my friend who doesn't watch, doesn't think so. So, I'd like to see what he thinks or how Welby would react before we go further.

[roll0] Quin's Check vs Drowning

Jake's eyes widen, but he says nothing.
Daina on the other hand splutters, about to protest, then she thinks better of it.
"Dying may actually be the only mercy this tomb has to offer..."
"Master, I don't think we can count on Quin at the moment-wherever he's gotten too, I'm sure he's doing his best to return to us, but I think we need to worry about ourselves right now."
Dranga peers into the pit, and then leaps across to join Eduardo, followed by Harley, who holds his torch rather nervously.
"Agreed."
"Agreed."

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-06, 09:19 PM
[roll0] Quin's COnstitution Check to avoid drowning.

Hand over hand, Quin continues to push onward and downward, following Dresden into the depths...

Misaat
2011-06-06, 10:27 PM
THE ONE DAY IM NOT HERE YOU GUYS GO ALL POST GUNG HO! Also i have 2 damage reduction so its 4 damage from the fire.

"Coff coff. Ok then i think it WOULD be better to Dimention Door all of you out. But what about the sword Shudu had?"

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-07, 04:19 PM
"It, and other items are lying around here, I can retrieve them with the head..." Pharrah calls up.
With a small run, Daina leaps across the pit to the otherside, and falling short, slams into the edge. With a quick grab, Harley catches onto her wrist and pulls her up.

Swimming through the Astral, Quin is feeling needles, boring into his head as his body screams for air!
[roll0] Constitution Check to not drown...

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-07, 04:36 PM
Good, grab what you can and teleport out of that deathtrap, the Master calls to his apprentice.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-07, 04:47 PM
Pharrah tears off the skull of the cleric, and gathers the items into a spare, empty bag of holding.
She opens the Dimension Door on the east side of the pit, stepping out opposite her Master, with Welby in tow.
His magical protections have returned to full, and though he does look a little worse for wear, it is nothing some potions won't fix. Pharrah and Welby are burned and sooty, there clothes reek of burnt hair and skin, and burns cross all over their faces. But they are alive, and that's what matters.
Pharrah tosses the bag across the pit as some of her burns burst open, oozing pus onto the floor, and the skull follows, bouncing at Eduardo's feet.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-07, 04:50 PM
[roll0]C'mon!

It feels as if Quin's chest has been wrapped in iron bands!
The dwarf can take no more, his body cries for air!
His mouth forces itself open, and water surges into his throat as his nose draws in the burning water into his very brain, it seems.
The dwarf, black out.
Gone.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-07, 05:03 PM
Eduardo looks at his apprentice.

Thank you, he says. You've done well.

He waves his hands over his apprentice's wounds.

By the power of Death, I command these wounds to seal. Restore the flesh and make it whole.

I have no doubt she will heal quickly. No doubt the wounds are already starting to close. Right?

Now I must begin my preparations to speak with the cleric's spirit. It will take some time.

How long will it take Eduardo to prepare another Speak with Dead ritual?

Elfstone
2011-06-07, 05:04 PM
:O

My only question is, how the heck did the WIZARD make it? Hes a wimp! All wizards are...

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-07, 05:44 PM
How long will it take Eduardo to prepare another Speak with Dead ritual?
The usual amount of time, RAW...
Of course, it could pay to ask if anyone else is capable of engaging in conversation with the corpse?

Pharrah steps back.
"Master, with all due respect, I may be your apprentice-but I don't belong to you. One should ask before healing someone. It is only polite."
With that, Pharrah slams her foot through the skull of the child, left lying on the floor. The flies buzz upward, around her and Welby.
They alight on her and the halflings wounds, drawn by the smell of blood.
Wincing, Pharrah uses a minor cantrip to ward the flies away.

My only question is, how the heck did the WIZARD make it? Hes a wimp! All wizards are...
:smallmad:
ARE NOT!

Anyways...

The waves wash Quin onto the beach, leaving him drenched and soaked upon the sand. Gasping, he voids his belly on the sand, tasting salt, fish and alcohol as he stains the white beach.
With precious air filling his strained lungs, Quin realized he has a splitting headache, which isn't improved by the sound of strange birds, and a brightly shining sun above tropical trees shining into his eyes.
The cool breeze wafting in his face does feel nice though.

This DOES NOT count as a death. That's just how the magic 'works'. Gotta drown your character and hope you're right.

Lol, I've used this before 'live'.
And one time, a PC was convinced, I was doing it again, convinced the pool was the gate way to the magical city.
He drowned.
:smalleek:
:smallfrown:

Misaat
2011-06-07, 06:43 PM
Wazzap

Maki jumps over the bridge to get together with the others.

" Wow that looks terrible.... Well at least now we know the way we should go "

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-07, 07:01 PM
Maki jumps over the bridge to get together with the others.
'Tis a pit.
I made the rolls, and the barbarian succeeds.
Pharrah scowls and follows, leaping gracefully across.
Indeed, she has made use of her own powers to begin healing herself, though a limp is apparent.
Pharrah ignore the bag of items found at the bottom of the pit.
She walks up to the door, and kicks it open with a loud crash.
Revealing yet another stretch of hallway, and another door.
"Identical."
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/OasysWebmaster/yetanotherdoor.jpg

Misaat
2011-06-07, 07:07 PM
Are Daina and Dranga with us. And what type of sword was it? Longsword ,Greatsword?

characters

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-07, 07:11 PM
Daina and Dranga are.
You'll have to look in the bag/ask.

Misaat
2011-06-07, 07:15 PM
"Wait. I think we should look for more traps in the next hallway... And just to be safe. One of us could go tapping the floor in front so this sort of thing doesnt happen again... "

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-07, 07:32 PM
Dranga nods, "Similar magical protection directly in front of the door... Probably another illusionary veil hiding another pit."
With that, Pharrah leaps across, followed by Dranga and Harley, obviously benefiting from the same Jump spell as Eduardo...
Daina, doesn't have enough room for the running start, and so waits.

Misaat
2011-06-07, 09:05 PM
Can i throw her across?

characters

Monodominant
2011-06-08, 04:32 PM
Sorry for the delay.

Oasis... No issue about the trap, flour is indeed flammable and there was an explosion indeed.

But...

http://www.science-wizards.com/index_files/Page2313.htm

There is a difference between a fire and an explosion. Explosion requires built up of gas as well that happens if the "location" is very contained. We are in a pretty big pit and deep one at that as well from what I understood so although the air would have ignited I believe the damage is excessive 10d6+10 is MORE than a fireball as cast by a 10 level caster...

And also reflex for half?

Other than that, well played.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-08, 06:39 PM
Can i throw her across?
This is D&D, you can do whatever you want! The real important question is, "Is that a good idea?"

Sorry for the delay.
No problem. I understand, you are on the other side of the planet afterall.

There is a difference between a fire and an explosion. Explosion requires built up of gas as well that happens if the "location" is very contained. We are in a pretty big pit and deep one at that as well from what I understood so although the air would have ignited I believe the damage is excessive 10d6+10 is MORE than a fireball as cast by a 10 level caster...
I considered that. To be deadly, it has to be a MASSIVE amount of flour. The 'bottom' of the pit is about 100 ft down. The flour part goes down 100 feet as well. I figured that' be enough...
And the trap is designed so there is no save.
It's a mundane explosion, in a ten by ten pit with nowhere to hide or go.
If you can think of an actual reason why the little guy should get one, I'll give it to you know problem.
It's kinda like those odd situations, like when a Fireball is cast in a corridor, and the Thief uses Evasion to avoid taking damage, even though there's no way to go...
Eh, take Actions!

Misaat
2011-06-08, 06:44 PM
Maki talks to Daina.

" I can try throwing you to the other side if you want"

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-08, 06:55 PM
Daina shakes her head furiously.
"Uh, no thank you, Maki. I appreciate it... I'll just try and jump across..."
She takes a few steps back, and Dranga and Harley give her room, the assassin's eyebrow raised.
Determined, Daina pumps her hands as she runs to the edge of the pit.
Flyign through the air, her hands carve a windmill above the illusionary stretch of floor, only to result in Daina once again slamming onto the very edge.
The wind knocked out of her lungs, she scrabbles at the edge, desperate for a handhold.

Misaat
2011-06-08, 07:17 PM
" Uh Oh... "

Maki clicks his magical shoes together and taking a few steps back. He jumps over the pit.

With the magic from the boots i can jump to the other side without a roll right?

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-08, 07:46 PM
Already rolled it. No problem.

Misaat
2011-06-08, 10:39 PM
So im on the other side now right?

Maki pulls Daina up.

"Here let me help you"

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-09, 05:03 PM
So im on the other side now right?
Yupyup!

Daina nods graciously as Maki takes her hand...
...and easily hauls her to her feet.
"Thank you!"

Misaat
2011-06-09, 06:12 PM
" Its okay... MMmm How is Dranga going to jump over the pit? "

Is that well said? That sentence just feels wrong.( Been having a little bit of a problem with my english lately.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-09, 06:14 PM
"Uh, Maki. I'm right here."
The dwarf waves, looking at the barbarian curiously.

The surf crashes over Quin's head, depositing a wad of seaweed upon his head. He can feel things moving in it!

Misaat
2011-06-09, 06:21 PM
Oh right... Forgot about the Jump spell

" Oh right.... Well then lets get going... I suggest we keep doing the same thing. You know tapping the floor and all that..."

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-09, 08:12 PM
The Master of Death surveys the room ahead of him.

Spot check!

[roll0]
Anything funny going on here?

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-09, 08:19 PM
Beneath his wise gaze, the hall and door before him shows nothing odd or suspicious...

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-09, 08:49 PM
Hmm. Nothing looks especially out of the ordinary, but nothing here is what it seems. Best to proceed with caution.

The master pokes at the cobblestone before him with the butt of Pax.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-10, 06:06 PM
The ground is undeniably...
Solid.

Elfstone
2011-06-10, 09:31 PM
Quin gets up and looks around. He cleans himself up and looks for the wizard.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-10, 10:14 PM
On the beach, washed up, lay two forms.
One sputters and curses, and Quin can see Dresden is still in a foul mood.
The other, doesn't move.
It simply moans.

Elfstone
2011-06-10, 10:22 PM
Quin gets up and examines the body.

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-10, 10:32 PM
Seems solid...

The Master of Death cautiously steps into the room to take a closer look around.

what else is in the room? please describe it. Are there any tracks on the ground?

Survival - [roll0] +2 if undead left tracks.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-11, 09:07 AM
Nononono.
Look at the map...
There's another door!

As Quin staggers to his feet, tiny crabs scuttle out of his way, waving their claws and clicking in a furious panick.
Approaching the body causes it to stir, and Shudu rolls over onto his back, then sits bolt up straight, coughing and hacking up water in his lungs.
"Quin! What are YOU doing here? Where'd you go!"

There is no sign of sickness whatsoever for Shudu.

Elfstone
2011-06-11, 10:01 AM
"Its along story mate, we should focus on getting home. Ill tell you about it with the others."

YOU RIPPED OFF PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN. NO FAIR.

Misaat
2011-06-11, 11:43 AM
Indeed. Search for a Rum stack

"Hey Parrah. What kind of sword was it you guys found?"

Human Paragon 3
2011-06-12, 05:43 PM
Do we have a burgler who can take a look at the door? Best to check everything before we procede. Stumbling head-long forward was the error that undid poor Shudu, after all.

If a trapfinder tells me the door is all clear, I will open it and check the next room just like I checked this one. We can use my old rolls since they weren't used, or I can re-roll. Up to you.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-12, 10:00 PM
Hey! Someone else is doign the Tomb of Horrors! =D (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11166380#post11166380)

YOU RIPPED OFF PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN. NO FAIR.

Indeed. Search for a Rum stack
:smallfrown:
DID NOT!

I vaguely remember Jack washing up on some 'deserted' island in the first film...
But this island isn't deserted, as one may find out, and also, I think there has been quite enough alcohol in this game!

If a trapfinder tells me the door is all clear, I will open it and check the next room just like I checked this one. We can use my old rolls since they weren't used, or I can re-roll. Up to you.
Reroll please.

Shudu nods, and stands up dusting himself off and, in vain, trying to squeeze dry his own tunic, similar to Quin's own.
Looking carefully at Quin, Shudu's eyes widen.
He points at the dwarfs chest.
"Look! What's that!?!?!"

Pharrah shrugs, "I didn't look. Might be best to leave it alo-"
Harley, holding Daina away from the door inspects it, and determines that there are no threats.
Pushing on it. It swing open easily.
"Probably another pit trap..."

Misaat
2011-06-12, 10:05 PM
" Or... Maybe that's what they WANT us to believe! Quick check the roof!.... And the floor too just in case..."

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-12, 10:12 PM
" Or... Maybe that's what they WANT us to believe! Quick check the roof!.... And the floor too just in case..."
:smallfurious:

F--- you, Misaat!
=P

Take 100XP!

Harley indeed tests the floor, and finding it solid, he signals an 'all-clear'.
Looking upward, the assassin blanches.
"HOLES in the first ten feet of the ceiling! And there's a sort of 'ridge' of a block. Probably falls and impales whoever is underneath! Stand back!"
Leaping forward into the stretch of hall, Harley begins to find away to disable the trap.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/OasysWebmaster/dieallofyou.jpg

Misaat
2011-06-13, 02:27 AM
" If Harley cant Disable it maybe we could spring it by throwing something heavy that way.... Is it too late to go back and get Shudu's Body?"

Monodominant
2011-06-13, 03:56 AM
On the save... well... it is up to you... but the only time I have denied a PC a reflex save is if for example someone casts Timestop, then puts 4 delayed blast fireballs around them and then casts force-cage...

or in general any AoE effect used on someone in a force cage... otherwise if you wanna go with logic... then you should not get Reflex saves when you are flat-footed either since well... flat-footed means suprised... and so on and so forth and many more things like that.

But lets continue

Welby looks at the closed doors as he stands next to the Master of Death.

"I dont think any of our trap people survived. We might as well take all possible precautions to ensure the door doesnt somehow use traps on us... I can think of a very effective way to do that" says the diminutive, halfling as he raises his fingers.

The bright green ray strikes the door dead center.

I cast disintergrate on the door.

Elfstone
2011-06-13, 05:42 AM
Quin shrugs and replies "I do not know"

I was references the fact that Jack wakes up in the third with only the company of his self on a deserted island.

Don't worry, there is no competition for who has the best ToH.

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-13, 07:19 AM
Nobody responds to Maki's suggestion.
Far to gruesome.
Far to soon.
Harley grunts and continues his search.
He leaps back in surprise as Welby's bright green ray strikes the door...
And does nothing. It absorbs the ray with a a gong-like sound, and is still.
Harley merely grunts again, and exclaims in surprise when he finds a brick with a long, narrow slit.
Using his knife, he works the brick out, and peers into the dark space of the wall behind.
After a few moments regard, he sticks his fingers through and there are two clicking noises.
The assassin steps back, smiling.
"Done. It's safe!"

I was references the fact that Jack wakes up in the third with only the company of his self on a deserted island.
:smallconfused:
Wait, wasn't he in Davy Jones' locker when that happened?
And thanks!

Shudu pokes the dwarf in the chest, "It's your armor!"
And indeed, if the dwarf looks down, he can see this his armor is glowing brilliant with a warm bright light.
But a shadow overtakes the two men as Dresden stalks up to them.
Growling, the wizard points to campfire with logs and some supplies about a hundred feet away.
"There. This is our new 'safe haven'... But don't touch ANYTHING. And stay out of the jungle..."
Ignoring Quin's armour, he kicks through the sand, making his way toward the fire.

Misaat
2011-06-13, 11:06 AM
"That was weird..."

Says Maki when he sees the green ray being absorbed by the door...

" I think we shouldn't get close to that door... Can any of you make a tunnel like before to pass to the other side? "

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-13, 11:36 AM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/OasysWebmaster/dieallofyou.jpg
THE DOOR IS OPEN!

Elfstone
2011-06-13, 03:48 PM
Quin smiles and nods before scanning the forest.\

[roll0]

TheOasysMaster
2011-06-13, 04:40 PM
The forest is a more of a dense jungle, a large mass of dark green unknown. Above it, birds of various sizes flock from tree to tree, and at what Quin suspects is the center of the island, a large tower rises.
It is, afterall, how such things are done.
Shudu has perused the tropical foliage as well, and noticing the tower, manages to tear his eyes away from the glowing on Quin's chest, "What's that tower?"
Over his shoulder, Dresden answers, "In order to return to the Tomb and your friends, you'll have to go back the way we came-drowning. That tower is the way back to the world outside the Tomb, though there's no real telling where it will leave you. It's a 'game-over, I quit' kinda thing, and there are... consequences and obstacles for reaching it..."
Shudu stares.
"A way out..."
"Your equipment is here!"
From his seat, near the fire, Dresden points to a mass of familiar items on the ground in neat and tidy bundles.

The Sitch:
The island is the new Misty Hall.
Literally, dead characters wash up here, get their items, take a break and can ask questions, and then drown themselves to return to a convenient spot in the Tomb.
Leaving the Tomb and I suppose in a fourth-wall breaking manner, 'the game' means surviving the forest, and the tower, and then wherever the tower leaves the character.
Of course, none of you staunch adventurer's would ever shirk your duties like that!

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs29/f/2008/080/1/7/17b6166110d55796.jpg