PDA

View Full Version : Three Fiends Theory.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-13, 08:14 PM
On this page (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0637.html)the three fiends say that Sabine is a Succubus (demon) working under directory Lee (the yellow fiend) which is the best indication of which type he is (demon).

So now we know that yellow is the demon in the group, it is logic time! I originally tried to use their positions relative to each other to decide which ones were what, but they move around a lot. However, on a color wheel violet is across from yellow with orange between them, so the most logical grouping is with Yellow=demons, purple=Devils, and orange=Yugoloths/Demodands.

Pandemonium (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0646.html)is apparently purple, but as its between CE and NE it doesn't reveal that much.

TheSummoner
2011-05-13, 08:17 PM
I thought common theory was that

LEe was a Lawful Evil devil,
NEro was a Neutral Evil whatever they're called (don't play), and...
CEdric was a Chaotic Evil demon...

HappyBlanket
2011-05-13, 08:18 PM
I thought Lee was Lawful Evil :smallconfused:

edit: Swordsage'd

ORione
2011-05-13, 08:23 PM
Wait... we know Lee is the yellow one? When did we learn which names go with which colors?

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-13, 08:29 PM
Lee = Devil
Nero = Daemon
Cedrik = Demon

As per DStP commentary.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-13, 08:39 PM
I quote:
Orange: "-A Succubus that has been working under Director Lee"
Yellow: "She has been keeping me abreast of some new opportunities..."
Orange just proved that it is not director Lee by speaking in the third person, yellow infers that it is director lee by referring to the succubus as working for it.

If word of God is that I am wrong that is fine, but that is pretty much proof that lee is a demon.

Lee = Devil
Nero = Daemon
Cedrik = Demon

As per DStP commentary.

Is this in the published book?

HappyBlanket
2011-05-13, 08:45 PM
I quote:
Orange: "-A Succubus that has been working under Director Lee"
Yellow: "She has been keeping me abreast of some new opportunities..."
Orange just proved that it is not director Lee by speaking in the third person, yellow infers that it is director lee by referring to the succubus as working for it.

If word of God is that I am wrong that is fine, but that is pretty much proof that lee is a demon.

No it doesn't. All it proves is that a succubus is working under Director Lee. That doesn't affect Lee's alignment or race at all.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-13, 08:51 PM
No it doesn't. All it proves is that a succubus is working under Director Lee. That doesn't affect Lee's alignment or race at all.

I think which one a demon is working under is pretty indicative of which one is a demon myself, but as I said if there is evidence to the contrary then that is fine.

John Cribati
2011-05-13, 09:05 PM
I think which one a demon is working under is pretty indicative of which one is a demon myself, but as I said if there is evidence to the contrary then that is fine.

But IFCC stands for Inter-Fiend... something or other. The three evil outsider types are working together anyway, so your argument is no longer logically sound.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-13, 09:07 PM
Is this in the published book?
Yes. :smalltongue:

EDIT: And Pandemonium isn't purple; that's a Modron, an embodiment of Law. Also, Pandemonium is CN with Evil tendencies.

EDIT2: And I'm not sure if you missed it or thought it was a red herring, but Lee, Nero, Cedrik. Get it? :smallwink:

Tvtyrant
2011-05-13, 09:11 PM
But, if Sabine knows this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)fiend personally (the one at the top through the link) it implies it was a demon as well.

And at the very least it shows that yellow is Lee.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-13, 09:15 PM
But Lee's crib is in Hell. And that could easily be a devil/daemon/demon coworker because of the nature of the IFCC.

And each of the archfiends' names, colours, and races were confirmed by the Giant, so there's really no point in arguing anymore.

HappyBlanket
2011-05-13, 09:16 PM
But, if Sabine knows this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)fiend personally (the one at the top through the link) it implies it was a demon as well.

And at the very least it shows that yellow is Lee.

Right, and Belkar knowing Roy personally implies the former is Lawful Good.

Yellow is Lee, yes. Nero is Purple, and Cedrik is Orange.

Kish
2011-05-13, 09:30 PM
I think which one a demon is working under is pretty indicative of which one is a demon
You're missing the point of the IFCC.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-13, 09:34 PM
You're missing the point of the IFCC.

Let us put it this way, there is no reason to believe a demon would walk safely into hell on what was explicitly a trial concept at that point. Just because three fiends are trying to make it work doesn't mean that suddenly things are rosy down there. However, as I mentioned earlier "If word of God is that I am wrong that is fine" which kinda wraps this one up. So yes, I was wrong :smallwink:

MoonCat
2011-05-13, 11:20 PM
And why do the colors matter?

TheSummoner
2011-05-14, 12:55 AM
Let us put it this way, there is no reason to believe a demon would walk safely into hell on what was explicitly a trial concept at that point. Just because three fiends are trying to make it work doesn't mean that suddenly things are rosy down there. However, as I mentioned earlier "If word of God is that I am wrong that is fine" which kinda wraps this one up. So yes, I was wrong :smallwink:

For what its worth, word of god in the commentary of Don't Split the Party ALSO said that he did the dialogue randomly and assigned each bit of text to whichever fiend was nearest.

Fitzclowningham
2011-05-14, 01:17 AM
For what its worth, word of god in the commentary of Don't Split the Party ALSO said that he did the dialogue randomly and assigned each bit of text to whichever fiend was nearest.

So, TvT, it's quite possible The Giant meant for you to be right, didn't follow through. :smallyuk:

TheSummoner
2011-05-14, 01:52 AM
Nope. Commentary also said that he did it random on purpose. He didn't want them to be indentifiable, but wanted them to be a true representation of the three fiend types working together rather than one representation of each. It's all there in the book =P

H Birchgrove
2011-05-14, 09:08 AM
I thought one recognised each character by the dialogue; the Chaotic Evil guy was the one who remembered his fraternity buddies IIRC.

ORione
2011-05-14, 10:51 AM
I'm not completely familiar with the rules on Outsiders. Do their bosses have to be the same alignment as them? That's not the case with PCs (someone already mentioned Roy and Belkar).

Kish
2011-05-14, 11:00 AM
I'm not completely familiar with the rules on Outsiders. Do their bosses have to be the same alignment as them? That's not the case with PCs (someone already mentioned Roy and Belkar).
Between the Nine Hells of the devils, and the Abyss of the demons, there exists the Blood War, with each side trying to eradicate the other one. The daemons play both sides against each other for their own ends. In a traditional fiendish organization, a daemon would view a succubus like Sabine as a pawn and a devil would view her as a mortal (or immortal, rather. Also immoral) enemy.

The IFCC's purpose is to end the Blood War. Lee, their devilish member, has a succubus subordinate and Cedrik, their demonic member, went to school with devils.

Absol197
2011-05-14, 12:52 PM
Just to repeat what some others have said, to make this as clear as possible:

In the author commentary in Don't Split the Party, the Giant says that:

Lee, the yellow-eyed fiend, is the devil (LEe -- LE -- Lawful Evil)

Nero, the purple-eyed fiend, is the daemon (NEro -- NE -- Neutral Evil)

Cedrik, the orange-eyed fiend, is the demon (CEdrik -- CE -- Chaotic Evil)

He also says that he purposefully did not make their dialogue alignment-based in any way. He wrote what needed to be said, positioned it on the page where it would fit (he tried to have every fiend speak in any panel where one of them did), and then assigned the dialogue to whichever fiend was closest to the speach bubble.

So, yes OP, you are correct about yellow being Lee, but incorrect about Lee being a demon.

ORione
2011-05-14, 03:41 PM
Between the Nine Hells of the devils, and the Abyss of the demons, there exists the Blood War, with each side trying to eradicate the other one. The daemons play both sides against each other for their own ends. In a traditional fiendish organization, a daemon would view a succubus like Sabine as a pawn and a devil would view her as a mortal (or immortal, rather. Also immoral) enemy.

The IFCC's purpose is to end the Blood War. Lee, their devilish member, has a succubus subordinate and Cedrik, their demonic member, went to school with devils.

Thank you.

Thanks to Gift Jeraff and Absol197 for their information, as well/