PDA

View Full Version : Removing immunity to ability drain/damage/energy drain

Alleran
2011-05-13, 08:31 PM
Simple question, I suppose:

Is there a spell, magic item, psionic power, class feature, or anything in 3.5e that can remove an immunity to ability drain, ability damage, or negative levels?

Preferably without resorting to third party books, that is.

(EDIT: General methods of removal, though specific instances where it would work on specific creatures/creature types are also welcome.)

Rei_Jin
2011-05-13, 08:33 PM
It would help to know what exactly we are trying to remove these qualities from.

Alleran
2011-05-13, 08:41 PM
In general, sorry. I'm trying to work out ways to open up ability drain, damage and semi-specifically negative levels against creatures that are usually immune to that sort of thing (e.g. undead, golems, the Tarrasque's ability damage immunity, gods...).

Zaq
2011-05-13, 08:43 PM
Is the immunity supernatural, or natural? If it's supernatural, well, there's always AMF, but you presumably want to use magic to inflict this ability damage on them, so that doesn't help. Instead, you can use Spurn the Supernatural or Expunge the Supernatural, both from the Truename chapter of Tome of Magic. They do pretty much just what they say on the tin . . . they either temporarily or permanently remove a specific supernatural ability from the target. Now, you have to know the target's personal truename (which is a very hard and annoying task), not to mention successfully say it—and they still get a saving throw, and SR, so it's pretty much generally not at all worth it. Nevertheless, it exists.

If it's just a natural immunity, of course, it won't help you at all.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-13, 11:36 PM
If it comes from a feat, you could maybe forceably Chaos shuffle away the immunity.

Tokiko Mima
2011-05-14, 03:53 AM
Simple question, I suppose:

Is there a spell, magic item, psionic power, class feature, or anything in 3.5e that can remove an immunity to ability drain, ability damage, or negative levels?

Preferably without resorting to third party books, that is.

(EDIT: General methods of removal, though specific instances where it would work on specific creatures/creature types are also welcome.)

If it's undead you mean there is a spell that does specifically that, for rounds/level. It's called Spark of Life and it's in Libris Mortis (the book of bad latin) on page 71.

You can always cast Incarnate Construct (Savage Species pg. 67) to make a human-shaped golem vulnerable, but the 8 hour casting time makes it tough to do this in combat.

It's a lot harder when you get into specific creatures, like the Tarrasque, or with divinity. I don't think there's a spell that does what you want and is general purpose, because it's so situationally abusable that even WotC managed to detect and avoid the pitfall.

mabriss lethe
2011-05-14, 01:47 PM
seconding Spark of Life to handle undead.

Adding Dispel Magic (or any other ability along the same lines) to handle items (eg: deathward armor) or spells (deathward)