PDA

View Full Version : The Beguiler Revivified (Work in Progress, PEACH!)

Ziegander
2011-05-13, 08:40 PM
The Beguiler

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n100/bkdubs123/Beguiler.jpg

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
0th
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
+0
+0
+2
+2
Sirensong, Beguiler's Grace

2nd
+1
+0
+3
+3
Cloaked Casting (+2)

3rd
+1
+1
+3
+3
Advanced Learning

4th
+2
+1
+4
+4

5th
+2
+1
+4
+4

6th
+3
+2
+5
+5
Suggestion

7th
+3
+2
+5
+5
Advanced Learning

8th
+4
+2
+6
+6
Cloaked Casting (no SR)

9th
+4
+3
+6
+6

10th
+5
+3
+7
+7

11th
+5
+3
+7
+7
Advanced Learning

12th
+6/+1
+4
+8
+8
Lay Quest

13th
+6/+1
+4
+8
+8

14th
+7/+2
+4
+9
+9
Cloaked Casting (+4)

15th
+7/+2
+5
+9
+9
Advanced Learning

16th
+8/+3
+5
+10
+10

17th
+8/+3
+5
+10
+10

18th
+9/+4
+6
+11
+11
Unto the Masses

19th
+9/+4
+6
+11
+11
Advanced Learning

20th
+10/+5
+6
+12
+12
Cloaked Casting (no save)

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier): Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Beguilers are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, shortbow, and short sword. Beguilers are not proficient with any armors or shields.

Spells: Beguilers cast spells spontaneously drawn from the Beguiler/Spellthief spell list and know each spell on their list. They must have an Intelligence score of at least 10+spell level to cast, they gain bonus spell slots dependent on their Int modifier, and the save DCs of their spells are determined by their Int.

Beguiler Spell List

Cantrips - Arcane mark, comprehend languages, dancing lights, detect magic, detect secret doors, expeditious retreat, ghost sound, mage hand, prestidigitation, undetectable alignment, whispering wind.

1st - Arcane sight, black karma curse, blur, charm person, color spray, crown of veils, daze monster1, disguise self, hold person, hypnotic pattern2, increase virulence, insight of good fortune, obscuring mist, silent image, sleep, spider climb, stay the hand.

2nd - Alter fortune, alter self, augury, clairsentience3, detect thoughts, eagle's splendor, fog cloud, fox's cunning, glitterdust, invisibility, invisibility purge, mindless rage, minor image, mirror image, misdirection, rage, sending, silence, touch of idiocy, vertigo.

3rd - Crushing despair, deep slumber, dispel magic, displacement, glibness4, hesitate, invisibility sphere, legion of sentinels, major image, nightmare, nondetection, poison food and drink5, rainbow pattern6, slow, suggestion, toxic weapon, vertigo field, zone of silence.

4th - Arcane eye, charm monster, confusion, dimension door, dream walk, freedom of movement, greater arcane sight, greater invisibility, greater mirror image, hold monster, lesser geas, manifest desire, mass charm person, mirage arcana, mystic surge, phantom battle, solid fog, stifle spell.

5th - Break Enchantment, cloak of hate, dominate person, dream sight, feeblemind, friend to foe, mass hold person, mind fog, phase door, scrying, seeming, shadow conjuration, swift etherealness, symbol of sleep.

6th - Antipathy7, geas/quest, greater dispel magic, mass eagle's splendor, mass fox's cunning, mass suggestion, mislead, prying eyes, shadow evocation, shadow walk, symbol of persuasion, sympathy7, true seeing, veil.

7th - Ethereal Jaunt, familial geas, greater scrying, project image, scintillating pattern, spell turning, superior invisibility, symbol of stunning, teleport.

8th - Demand, greater prying eyes, greater shadow conjuration, mass hold monster, mind blank, screen.

9th - Dominate monster, dysjunction, etherealness, greater shadow evocation, greater teleport, time stop.

1 - Daze Monster lasts for 1d4+1 rounds.
2 - Hypnotic Pattern effects a total number of hit dice equal to 2d4+caster level (maximum 2d4+8) and no creature with more than 6HD.
3 - As Clairaudience/Clairvoyence.
4 - Glibness grants a +15 bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, and Intimidate checks as well as Wild Empathy checks.
5 - Poison Food and Drink has components: S, M; casting time: 10 minutes; range: Close; target: up to 16oz of food and/or drink per caster level; duration: 24 hours; saving throw: fortitude negates; spell resistance: no. Anyone ingesting at least 4oz of the poisoned food or drink must make a fortitude save immediately to avoid becoming sickened for 24 hours, and if the initial save fails they make another save 10 minutes later. If the second save fails they take 2d6 Constitution damage and are nauseated for 8 hours.
6 - Rainbow Pattern effects a total number of hit dice equal to 3d10+caster level (maximum 3d10+15) and no creature with more than 12HD.
7 - Antipathy/Sympathy effects creatures with a chosen type or alignment whether they are intelligent or not, may effect creatures that are immune to mind-affecting abilities as though they were not immune, and staggers creatures that succeed on their Will saves as long as they remain in the spell's area and for 1 round thereafter.

Beguiler's Grace (Ex): A Beguiler is as clever and elusive as she is alluring and graceful. As long as she wears no armor and carries no visible weapon or shield, enemies that wish to attack her, target her with a harmful ability or spell, or include within the area of a harmful ability or spell must first succeed on a Will save (DC 10+1/2 Beguiler level+Charisma modifier). A failed save does not waste an enemy's action, but forces it to attack or attempt to harm another creature for 1 round.

Sirensong (Sp): A Beguiler may use the Perform skill in place of the Bluff skill and vice versa. Additionally, she is trained to use either skill to create magical effects on those around her. For a number of rounds each day equal to two times the total of her Charisma modifier + her class level, she may produce a variety of effects, based on her class level. A Beguiler may have any number of Sirensong effects active at one time, but each requires separate activations and each consumes 1 round from her total rounds per day while she maintains the effects.

Activating Sirensong is a standard action which provokes attacks of opportunity when starting the ability, but it may be maintained as a free action each round. A Sirensong requires the Beguiler to be able to complete verbal and somatic gestures, and though it cannot be disrupted like spells can, it will automatically end anytime the Sirensong is made incapable of completing verbal or somatic gestures or otherwise prevented from taking a free action to maintain it each round.

To be affected by a Beguiler's Sirensong, her targets must be able to both see and hear her. However, the ability is not language-dependent. Likewise, a deaf or blind Beguiler has a chance to fail when attempting her Sirensong, equal to 20% failure chance for suffering one of those conditions and 50% failure chance for suffering both. This failure chance applies when she is starting her Sirensong and each round she tries to maintain the effect.

Distraction - A 1st level Beguiler is able to counter magic effects that rely on sight or sound (but not spells with verbal components). Each round of the distraction, including the first, she makes a Bluff or Perform check. Any creature within 30ft of the Beguiler that is affected by an illusion (figment) or illusion (pattern) effect, or by a sonic or language-dependent effect may use the Beguiler's skill check result instead of rolling a saving throw. If a creature within range of the distraction is already under the effect of a noninstantaneous effect among the ones listed above it gains another saving throw each round the Beguiler maintains the effect, but it must use the skill check result for the save. Distraction does not apply to effects that do not allow a save.

Fascinate - A 1st level Beguiler is able to capture the attention of one or more creatures. When the Beguiler starts her Sirensong, she makes a single Bluff or Perform check against DC 15. If she succeeds she draws the attention of a single creature within 90ft. For each 5 points she beats the check DC she may choose to draw the attention of another creature within 90ft, or to increase the save DC of this effect by 1. Creatures targeted by the Beguiler must succeed on a Will save (10+1/2 Beguiler level+Charisma modifier) or become Fascinated as long as the Beguiler maintains her Sirensong. Any creature for which this effect is ended or resisted, whether by a successful saving throw, an obvious threat, or being shaken free, is immune to it for 24 hours. This is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability.

Suggestion - At 6th level, a Beguiler develops the ability to create suggestions in the mind of a fascinated creature. She must be maintaining Fascinate in order to activate this ability (a standard action as normal) and she must target a single Fascinated creature. The targeted creature must succeed on a Will save equal to the save DC of the Beguiler's Fascinate effect to resist a Suggestion effect as the spell.

Lay Quest - At 12th level, a Beguiler develops the ability to place a magical command upon a fascinated creature. She must be maintaining Fascinate in order to activate this ability (a standard action as normal) and she must target a single Fascinated creature. The target creature must succeed on a Will save equal to the save DC of the Beguiler's Fascinate effect to resist a Lesser Geas effect as the spell, except that there is no limit to the ability score penalties bestowed, Remove Curse cannot remove the effect, and Break Enchantment may only remove the effect if its caster level is at least two higher than your caster level

Unto the Masses - At 18th level, a Beguiler not only quadruples the potential affected areas of her Distraction and Fascinate abilities (increasing them to 120ft and 360ft respectively) she is able to use her Suggestion or Lay Quest abilities on multiple creatures at a time. When she activates her Suggestion ability, by consuming two rounds of Sirensong instead of merely one she may target a number of Fascinated creatures up to her Charisma modifier. When she activates her Lay Quest ability, by consuming four rounds of Sirensong instead of merely one she may target a number of Fascinated creatures up to her Charisma modifier.

Cloaked Casting (Sp): Starting at 2nd level, whenever a Beguiler's spells become more effective when cast against an unwary foe. When she casts a spell against a creature that is denied it's Dexterity bonus to AC (whether it has a bonus or not), the Beguiler gains a +2 bonus to the spell's save DC.

Beginning at 8th level, the Beguiler ignores Spell Resistance against such creatures.

At 14th level, the bonus to save DCs increases to +4.

At 20th level, such creatures do not receive a saving throw against the Beguiler's spells.

Advanced Learning (Ex): At 3rd level and every four levels thereafter, Beguilers add a new spell to their spell list, representing the result of personal experimentation and study. The spell must be a Sorc/Wiz spell of the enchantment or illusion schools and of a level no higher than the highest spell you already know.

NineThePuma
2011-05-13, 09:30 PM
What's wrong with the current beguiler?

Ziegander
2011-05-13, 09:48 PM
What's wrong with the current beguiler?

Just because a class is Tier 3 doesn't mean it's perfect. The PHB2 Beguiler is fine, but I didn't think all of the class features were right, and I wanted it to eat the Bard and take its stuff. This is basically some cosmetic changes to make it more fit my tastes as well as big changes to the spell list to make each spell level offer appropriately powered choices.

NineThePuma
2011-05-13, 10:31 PM
:smallconfused: I really don't see where the overlap between them in terms of flavor is. While the Bard and the Beguiler are both 'social' characters and both cast enchantment/illusion spells, the Bard is more of a wandering jack of all trades/buffer, while the Beguiler is more of a trickster/misdirector.

I could see the Beguiler and the Bard teaming up to eat the Spell Thief, giving the spell stealing to bard and the sneak attack type stuff to the Beguiler.

But this is just my personal opinion, and shouldn't be viewed as discouragement. What, in particular, did you think the beguiler did wrong?

Daverin
2011-05-13, 10:43 PM
Well, suffice it to say, I can only make a guess based on what is already here. But I kind of get the vibe that, whereas alot of the non-spells of the Beguiler dealt with stealth, this one more emphasizes the social/manipulator, or at least make it as prevalent. Am I on the mark at all, Zieg? If so, I eagerly await to see the rest, as I always wished the Beguiler's abilities didn't make him seem like a glorified stealth caster...

Ziegander
2011-05-13, 11:55 PM
Well, suffice it to say, I can only make a guess based on what is already here. But I kind of get the vibe that, whereas alot of the non-spells of the Beguiler dealt with stealth, this one more emphasizes the social/manipulator, or at least make it as prevalent. Am I on the mark at all, Zieg?

Exactly. This Beguiler is aiming to be less of an arcane-trickster-in-a-can and more of a behind the scenes manipulator. So stuff like Trapfinding and the Greater Feint abilities (which were disguised as casting abilities but were combat maneuver improvements) didn't sit well with me. I wanted to improve Cloaked Casting since it wasn't really worth a damn thing until 20th level, and by then Wizards have been casting SR:no spells for half their career or more, thus the Beguiler getting a much faster, much more useful improvement to their Cloaked Casting. Now, using their, you guessed, beguiling presence the Beguiler can disrupt and fascinate her foes as well as entice them to do her bidding (oh, and fascinate isn't based off of an impossible to beat save DC, but is still effected by your skill check).

I'll be going through the Bard spell list and other books to add as many flavorful spells to the Beguiler spell list as I can to reinforce the role of social manipulator.

I could see the Beguiler and the Bard teaming up to eat the Spell Thief, giving the spell stealing to bard and the sneak attack type stuff to the Beguiler.

Oh, and also, about the Spellthief, it will be operating the recoverable spells model that I've been using with the Swordsaint, the Mageknight, and the Hexblade. The Spellthief will draw spells from the Beguiler/Spellthief list, it will have sneak attack, and will be able to recover spells by stealing spell energy from foes. Beyond that I don't have many ideas yet, but I plan to start working on it tomorrow. It will surely, at some point, be able to steal opponents' spells and cast them.