PDA

View Full Version : The Shattered Heavens IC

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-13, 09:06 PM
A dry, hot wind blew north through the streets of Abaris. Always north, it seemed. Notos ruled the northern half of Calra, and high summer was the only time it ever seemed to die down. But no such luck today. The skies were clear, with not a cloud in sight, and out in the open one could feel the peculiar sensation of being baked from two sides. In the summers Phaėton rode well north of Helios's old boundaries - could he even have known about the Tropic Pacts, or were they just before his time?

The square is bustling with activity. Today, in addition to a few small expeditions, there are four major caravans leaving Abaris: two for Ombos, two for a series of other places to the south. All four were still setting up and looking for help, and it seemed half the neighborhood was in attendance, buying and selling and searching for something in the crowd.

"Commit yourself to the Far-Darter!" cries a young priest of Apollo, lyre in hand. "Only he can save your soul in the Ashlands!" Next to him, an old gnomish man selling fried fish, the last any of the travelers would be seeing for a long time. People ply the crowds with batches of goggles, parasols, facemasks, waterskins, charms of all denominations - anything some traveler could have forgotten or might desire. Others simply advertise for the many bars and brothels in the area. There is food and drink in abundance to be found in the various stalls and tents and stores.

Another crowd is gathered around the bulletin board, inspecting the bulletins and in some cases, nailing up their own. One young Solarian boy tears down illegal notices and expired flyers, apparently working to keep the operation legitimate. Notably, the four expeditions have large posters on its surface, having been officially approved by the local government to put them there. These get the most attention from the throng.

It is high noon on the seventeenth of June, 215 PA. Where are you?

Burnheart
2011-05-17, 06:03 AM
Ujarak looks at both of his companions, Isak who he has known and traveled with for years and the girl Anya who has helped them understand the strangeness of Abaris, this city that is so different from the forest where they both grew up Ok there are 4 groups heading into the Ashlands and we need to join one of them, suggestions?

ex cathedra
2011-05-17, 04:31 PM
"Have you both read the bulletins?"

Isak faced away from Ujarak and Anya, quietly staring towards the southern horizon. The wind relentlessly buffeted his hair and cracked his lips, but Isak had grown used to both sensations. Isak absently watches the bustling crowds, before wiping the sweat from his brow and sighing. This place always filled him with the most dreadful feelings of alienation.

"Maybe we should discuss this somewhere cooler." He pauses momentarily. "And quieter. Much quieter."

Ajadea
2011-05-17, 04:52 PM
Anya grins crookedly at her newest employers. "It don't get much quieter n'Abaris than this," she says in her uncultured street-speak, gesturing around the bustling square. Her speech is always fast, blurring words together, and accompanied with a lot of gestures. "Not with those four 'vans here. Trade towns are loud. Always. You want quiet, get back to those forests of yours." She frowns, twirling a lock of dark hair around her finger. "For safety alone, you'd want the big one, t'Merca one. 'S big, reliable. Dunno what they'd want with you lot though. But that new Araxes wench is payin the ones who ride with her 'van, and you'd hafta pay up yourself for a ride with the Mercas." She points at the wagons in turn as she identifies them, then points at the other two.

"Now, those two 'vans are going deeper, straight into t'Ashlands as deep as they can. Take t'Moss one. They know whatall they're doin', at least, and that's more than I can say 'bout the 'deens. New kid in charge there. He'll prolly mess it up big-time, you know?"

Burnheart
2011-05-17, 05:08 PM
Deep into the ashlands is where i want to go Ujarak looks off into the distance as though trying to stare into the heart of ashlands from here and i would enjoy risk he continues with a smile So its the Moss or 'Deens, what can you tell us about them Anya?

ex cathedra
2011-05-17, 05:17 PM
Isak nodded, softly grinning. He enjoyed listening to Anya's accent.
"A shame. About the caravans, the... um... Araxides, yes? Isn't it fairly desperate? At least we'd have a decent chance of getting hired. And the Moss expedition, has it not been unreliable in the past?"

In truth, Isak didn't care about the caravans. He didn't need to tell Ujarak or Anya that, though. But it would be nice to join one of the smaller trips... anything to escape these oppressive crowds.

Ajadea
2011-05-17, 05:19 PM
Anya rolls her eyes. "You want Araxes or Moss then. T'deens are goin' round westways, and t'Mercas never head anywhere near t'heart of t'Ashlands. That Moss 'van is pretty reliable in showin', comes round every few years I think. Pro'lem is, they can never decide where they're goin' and the last'un got lost and ne'er came back. Araxes is new, and payin'." She laughs derisively, a harsh, dry, sound. The sort of laugh the Ashlands would have. "So, reals, your choices are t'go back home, or t'ride with either the new 'van, or the crazy halfsies 'van."

Burnheart
2011-05-17, 05:24 PM
I say we try the Araxide carvan then Ujarak says standing up.

userpay
2011-05-17, 06:55 PM
With a raucous cry a small black form darts just over the groups head. "Laxus! Behave!" If anyone turns they see a raven settling on the shoulder of a woman dressed in tans and browns. She didn't seem to have been there a minute ago. "Oh... Erm... Sorry to bother you but I couldn't help but overhear you were planning to head into the Ashlands. My name is Myra, perhaps... I could join you?" While she seems embarrassed she almost has the look of a child using the puppy dog look on their parents.

Ajadea
2011-05-17, 07:14 PM
Ducking was a vital skill in the arsenal of the street thief. So when the blur of feathers shot towards her, Anya's first instinct was to hit the ground. So she did, going from standing to crouching and tense within the blink of an eye, hand on the hilt of her rapier, bright blue eyes darting up and then into the crowd. When she realized that the possible arrow was a bird, owned by a woman who wanted to go into the Ashlands just like the rest of them, she got to her feet, still clearly tense. "Ask them. 'm just t'help."

Burnheart
2011-05-17, 07:28 PM
Isak what do you think, one more companion for the road? Ujarak asks his friend.

ex cathedra
2011-05-17, 07:30 PM
"Eavesdropping?" inquires Isak, bluntly. "That's a bit rude, you know." He dismissively gestures towards his companion. "It's up to you, Ujarak. It's not as if I can really say "No," anyways; we're joining a caravan, what's to stop her from doing the same?"

Burnheart
2011-05-17, 07:43 PM
Come now Isak the ashlands are a dangerous place, the more people we have that we can trust with us the better Looking at Myra Besides would you let an Innocent young lady try entering the ashlands alone? Turnung to Myra You're most welcome to join us Myra, we had just decided to try joining the Araxide carvan

userpay
2011-05-17, 08:34 PM
Myra blushes a little at Isak. "Well... I suppose your right. My friend here tends to do do that..." The mentioned bird gives an indignant squawk. "What you do. Aaand it sort of ends up getting passed to me irregardless. Besides, while there may be safety in numbers I've come to learn its always a good idea to have a few particular others to depend on." Her gaze turns towards where the Araxide carvan would be/is gathering. "Particularly in a large gathering of strangers."

Ajadea
2011-05-17, 08:45 PM
"Need a new set a' eyes, girl?" Anya says sharply, sweeping one arm as if to encompass all four wagons. "That'un's the littlest a' the 'vans here. You want numbers, you go with t'Mercas." She points at the Mercas wagon-much larger, better staffed. "A'course, that'un's not goin' into t'Ashlands, so you'd hafta go with t'Moss 'van, 'cept that'un's got a new kid in charge, and keeps changing where 's goin."

ex cathedra
2011-05-17, 08:51 PM
"Of course, and what's not to trust about a stranger whose only known talent is listening in on private conversations?" retorts Isak, grinning playfully. "As you wish, Ujarak."

Isak pauses during Anya's comments. "And that's Anya, and despite what she says she's been much more than just 'the help,' recently." Isak sighs, and quietly continues. "Not sure how we could have handled this place without her."

Ajadea
2011-05-17, 09:15 PM
"You'dve survived. Prolly," Anya says with what might be badly veiled amusement. "Abaris i'nt that bad. You gotta learn sometime. 'm not gonna b'here forever t'hold your hands'n guide you round."

Burnheart
2011-05-18, 07:11 AM
"We might have survived without you Anya" Ujarak says as he starts walking towards the Araxide carvan "but we would likely be in jail right now if you hadn't talked me out of fighting that arrogant little bully" an angry gleam flashes in his eyes for a moment then he shakes his head "Why do the rich get to act like tyrants without the city watch stopping them?"

userpay
2011-05-18, 09:15 AM
Myra smiles at Anya. "I refer to any grouping of people, inevitably the safest are those with their own smaller groups within said group." As the conversation turns to troubles the three apparently had Myra can only give a meek shrug as she begins to follow Ujarak. "Power corrupts. No competition and a position at the top of the chain can do that."

Ajadea
2011-05-18, 10:38 AM
The look Anya directs toward Ujarak as they walk is similar to the sort an exasperated teacher would use on a small ignorant child. "'Cause they're rich,"" she says in the slow and carefully enunciated tone of someone explaining to a dim-witted person that there are two suns and the moon's in bits round the earth. "Rich'uns can pay all t'bribes they want and still've pockets money nuff to grab a meal at t'fanciest tavern here."

Burnheart
2011-05-18, 11:25 AM
"But everyone just accepts it, if one of my people tried that they would be very lucky to get away unharmed" Ujarak says as they approach the caravan "If all the people living here just stood up for themselves the rich people couldn't treat them like that"

Ajadea
2011-05-18, 12:33 PM
Anya pats Ujarak on the head. "Kid, your dreams're nice'n all, but if t'lowlife n'scum like me rose up, all we'd get is a boot-or sword 'haps-to the face n'everything'd go back to t'norm. 'S easier to ignore em. Rich'uns have hired swords'n things, you know."

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-18, 02:13 PM
As the party progresses towards the caravan, the crowds make way for them a bit. An armed crew of "adventurers" is not a particularly rare sight in Abaris, and the people have learned that they are a dangerous bunch, if usually somewhat wealthy. As it's clear you're walking directly to a caravan for business, they keep their distance for now from what could very well be a group of cutthroat mercenaries. Some watch intently, hoping for an opportunity to sell something later on.

The Araxides Caravan is tucked into the corner of the square, somewhat marginalized by the larger and more busy caravans. The expedition is indeed small, at least for now, as there are only five wagons and a handful of laden camels. The Solarian Red Camel is probably one of the most valuable things the Aldeen have brought to Abaris - said to have draconic blood, they are the only breed that can survive a trip though the Ashlands in the summer, when nearly all other known breeds shed their fur. By the markings it is evident that Ms. Araxides owns almost all of them herself, which is a testament both to her wealth and to the scarcity of merchants willing to accompany her.

All of the wagons Ms. Araxides owns have already been loaded, so most of the laborers have departed, leaving only a few to groom the camels and load the only wagon not owned by her. The square's resident teamsters, a multiracial crew, work diligently and indifferently, as a few leather-clad humans and elves armed with crossbows - apparently the guards of the caravan - watch on closely.

Near the front of the caravan Rosalina Araxides herself can be seen, talking with what are presumably a few potential passengers. A tall and attractive woman, she appears to be in her mid-twenties, though she is apparently older than that. She has her father's distinctive curly white hair, and her skin is a light brown - supposedly the color of the sediment-laden river as it winds through her homeland to the west. She wears expensive, dark silken robes and a prodigious amount of jewelery, and shelters herself with a black parasol which she holds steady against the wind.

Almost directly behind her stands a towering figure, a ruddy-skinned man nearly eight feet tall. A half-giant, by the looks of it. His head is covered with a horned helmet, and a thick black beard covers much of his face. He wears a breastplate despite the sweltering heat, covered with dings and scratches but nevertheless obnoxiously shiny in the bright sun, and he carries a gigantic Guisarme, upon which he leans as he surveys the surroundings, paying especial attention to the men conversing with Ms. Araxides.

There were two of them: a bald, portly human gentleman in rich clothing, holding the rein of one of a small group of camels, and adjacent to him, a half-elven man in loose fitting robes, armed with a distinctively western curved sword. The two of them listen intently while she speaks and gesticulates.

As you approach closer, the half giant takes notice, and lifts his head to watch you. Ms. Araxides continues her conversation with the others, never taking her eyes off them.

Burnheart
2011-05-18, 04:40 PM
Waiting quietly for Ms. Araxides to finish speaking to the other men Ujarak looks at the Half Giant, studying him incase they ever fight against him.

I'll try spot, listen and Martial lore to see what info i can get.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Martial lore [roll2]

ex cathedra
2011-05-18, 05:39 PM
Isak sneers. "These aren't your people, Ujarak. Treating them as if they were will only invite disaster."

As his group approaches, Isak examines the caravan closely. He absently nods to acknowledge the half-giant's attention, and proceeds to level his gaze on the caravan mistress. Without averting his stare, Isak begins speaking to his newest companion.

"So, Myra. Would you care to tell us a bit about yourself?"

Ajadea
2011-05-18, 05:59 PM
Anya stays silent, eyes scanning the scene. The camels were a nice breed-healthy-looking enough and able to enter the Ashlands. The woman inspired instant dislike and scheming-what could one possibly want with all those jewels. Completely unnecessary. But it wouldn't be good form for her to steal the lady's accessories and sell'em off. At least, not if she wanted to ride with this...severely understaffed lot... into the Ashlands.

userpay
2011-05-18, 06:36 PM
Myra was looking up at the half-giant, hands behind her back and swaying slightly as if to a tune, perhaps hoping that the half-giant will get the ladies attention when she was finished conversing with the duo. At Isak's inquiry she turns away from the half-giant. "Well I suppose the best place to start with that is why I want to go into the Ashlands. See I like poking around old ruins, not necessarily for treasure oh no, but for the knowledge that was left behind. Though that mostly consists of the spirits that have been killed. I suppose you could call me a historian of sorts." She looks up at the sky. "You'd be surprised at what people bypass thinking it only gibberish, I've learned a quite few tricks from it. One day I can do one thing and the next something totally different." Myra looks back at the group with a grin. "Suffice to say I'm quite flexible."

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-19, 06:38 PM
Ujarak:
The poise of the stance, that relentless, fearless look in his eyes - Ujarak recognizes the Iron Guard's Glare, a powerful bodyguard's technique favored by the Devoted Spirit school.

Or at least it resembles it. The half-giant's stance is far sloppier than the traditional form, and it's possible it's just something he developed on his own out of experience or raw talent. Many Devoted Spirit techniques are more a state of mind than anything else, after all.
The half-giant eyes the party grimly as they approach, but relaxes a bit when he realizes you are apparently content to wait until after the current transaction has been concluded.

As you get into range of the conversation, it becomes clear that it is actually an argument, with the bald man speaking with barely contained fury, which only grows worse at Ms. Araxides's calm replies.

"So as you can see, Mr. Jaroo, he can do just as he wishes with his self and his property, and under the laws of Abaris at least, it's really out of your hands." she states, matter-of-factly.

"But I'm telling you, the boy's daft! I can't have my name on your caravan. Girard Merca will kill me! You can't do this to me - you can't make him do this!"

"I assure you it's all of his own free will."

"Like hell! You've seduced him! Bewitched him with your powers!" he says, pointing an accusatory finger at her.

"Oh no no," she says, guiding his finger back down, "I'm sure he just wants to open trade relations with the oppressed people of Ombos, and break the Mercai monopoly on eastbound traffic. All noble pursuits, of course, suitable for such a noble family."

"Nonsense! I'll have him flogged for this madness! Where is he?" he demands, red in the face.

"I believe the young master is availing himself of the services of yonder brothel." she says, indicating what is, by the looks of it, the most expensive one in the city. The man buries his face in his hands, running them down his face. "My... money..."

Ms. Araxides turns her attention from the distraught man to her other guest, who has until now been silent. As she turns to him she glances momentarily at the party, but goes on to speak with him, giving only that small acknowledgement for now.

"You're the bodyguard, I presume? Tristan mentioned you. I don't suppose you want to accompany us? I hear the Ashlands can be somewhat dangerous."

"What's the pay?" he responds tersely.

"300 gold pieces, up front, and a cut of the profits if the voyage is successful. And you might be able to make more than that..." she says, glancing once more at your party.

"No dice. I can get more from him," he says, indicating Mr. Jaroo, who is still mumbling.

"Well surely Mr. Jaroo would want his son to be protected..."

"No! I won't lay out another copper for the boy!" he shouts, thrusting his hand in the air dramatically. "If he wants his "freedom" he's made himself clear enough. Freedom to get himself killed, why not! I'm sure he'll be back when he sees I'll not come for him. And then I'll beat the rest of the sense he needs into him." He motions to the other man, "Come on, Sen. We're done here."

Thus Mr. Jaroo storms off, leaving the camels behind. Sen begins to follow after him shortly. Ms. Araxides rolls her eyes as she shares a look with the half-giant, who has apparently been enjoying himself very much watching the argument. She then turns her head in the direction of the party, raising an eyebrow at Isak's unusual appearance.

Burnheart
2011-05-19, 08:26 PM
"Greetings Ms. Araxide" Ujarak says with a bow "My name is Ujarak and these are my companions Isak, Anya and Myra" he points at everyone in turn as he says their names "We are heading into the ashlands and we would like to join your caravan if you'll take us" he looks at the half giant Is he your bodyguard? He is clearly very skilled though his stance is a little sloppier than most i've seen"

Ajadea
2011-05-19, 08:47 PM
Anya is about to open her mouth to say something when Ujarak speaks first. "oy," she mutters under her breath before gently shoving Ujarak to the side. "Sorry 'bout that. He's from for'n parts, thinks pokin' at stances'n things is polite. M'trying to keep em outta troubles." She adds what she hopes is a fond smile at her employers. She'd never really been 'fond' of anyone, but her job seemed to be to get all three of them hired, and she might as well pretend to like them. And pretend to know what Ujarak meant by 'stances'. "What m'friend Ujarak means t'say is that us four'd like t'sign on as help with t'van, if you don't mind, Miss Araxes."

Anya'd learned a long time ago that the rich'uns always wanted you to be short sighted. Never say you want anything except to make their goals happen. They liked servantish people more than smartmouths, generally speaking, and Ujarak was definitely one of the latters.

ex cathedra
2011-05-19, 11:52 PM
Isak meets Rosalina's gaze with a slight nod and a small smile. "Agreed. There's no reason to be rude, Ujarak. But, as they said, we were hoping that we could assist you in some way. And it's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Araxides. I'm not sure that your last visitor could say the same, though."

Isak appreciated Anya's straight-forward approach to the situation. He felt that pragmatism was one of the better traits that they had in common.

userpay
2011-05-20, 12:09 AM
"Pleasure to meet you Miss Araxes." Myra greets their potential employer. She glances off at the retreating form of the last visitor. "I'm hoping we can be of more use than... well they were I suppose."

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-20, 12:29 AM
The half giant seems taken back a bit by Ujarak's criticism. Removing his weight from the guisarme, he stands up straight at his full imposing height of 7'10" or so. "Oh?" he sneers, in a deep and heavily accented voice, and it seems he would have more to say, but Anya cuts in with her conciliatory words before he can fully answer. While she speaks, Ms. Araxides touches his hand and gives him a look, after which he settles back down.

When Anya, Isak and Myra finish, Ms. Araxides smiles and nods, clearly quite interested in any signers-on.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too. And don't mind Mr. Jaroo, he just gets like that sometimes," she says, quite literally waving it off.

"Now then, I am just delighted to hear that you want to help me. Help is getting hard to come by, it seems. Now I see a few weapons on you," she says, eying your sheathed weaponry, "and anyone able to defend themselves is welcome - those willing to defend others, more so. Anyone is free to sign on, but you're willing to protect the caravan, I could make it worth your while. But first, I would like to know what, exactly, you are offering."

Ajadea
2011-05-20, 12:50 AM
"I s'pose we're offerin' t'go with you down into t'Ashlands, help protect the 'van from raiders, bandits, and things like em. As far as you're goin'." Anya seems to be slowing down her words a little bit, but the street accent is quite firmly ingrained in her speech. "Maybe mess with t'Mercas or something. Never been onna 'van before, never been into t'Ashlands before. Dunno what there's to protect t'vans from, n'there."

You lot better not mess this up...

Lying like "one'a them fancy rugs": Bluff take 10 for a result of 17.

To elaborate: She's getting off when Ujarak says they're leaving the caravan, not when they get to wherever it is that Araxides is trying to go. She really doesn't want her intentions to show.

ex cathedra
2011-05-20, 12:57 AM
Isak takes a small step forward after Anya speaks. "I won't speak for my other companions, but I, at least, am willing to assist in whatever capacity you desire. I'm capable of defending both myself and the caravan itself, and I'd be willing to do so until you reach Ombos or the expedition otherwise dissolves." He smiles curtly. "Assuming that the pay is fair, of course, but I doubt that will be a problem with an employer such as yourself."

Burnheart
2011-05-20, 05:05 AM
"For myself" Ujarak begins "I'm a skilled swordsman good at keeping calm under pressure, i'm also happy to defend anyone who can't defend themselves" Ujarak hesitates slightly before continuing "However i am looking for someone who was seen entering the ashlands and were i to find his trail i would prefer to follow it as soon as possible, i would not abandon you of course" he adds "but if you were able to hire more guards mid-trip such that our help" he points at the others "was no longer needed perhaps we might leave part way through?"

userpay
2011-05-20, 09:16 AM
"I don't mind helping protect everyone, but even better if we can avoid the fight which is what Laxus is here for." Myra wiggles the shoulder the bird is perched on. "He can scout ahead of the caravan. If something else is needed then I may beable to cover for that as well, given a day or two I'm quite adaptable."

Ajadea
2011-05-20, 09:42 AM
"For myself" Ujarak begins "I'm a skilled swordsman good at keeping calm under pressure, i'm also happy to defend anyone who can't defend themselves" Ujarak hesitates slightly before continuing "However i am looking for someone who was seen entering the ashlands and were i to find his trail i would prefer to follow it as soon as possible, i would not abandon you of course" he adds "but if you were able to hire more guards mid-trip such that our help" he points at the others "was no longer needed perhaps we might leave part way through?"

Anya buries her face in the palm of her hand. "Ujarak, I know whatcha ways are round back in t'forest'n all, but people round here don't take nicely t'their guards leavin' in the mids of travelin'!" she snaps exasperatedly. "We're goin' with her. All the way."

Burnheart
2011-05-20, 10:11 AM
Anya buries her face in the palm of her hand. "Ujarak, I know whatcha ways are round back in t'forest'n all, but people round here don't take nicely t'their guards leavin' in the mids of travelin'!" she snaps exasperatedly. "We're goin' with her. All the way."

"Now Anya i know that which is why i'm asking, IF we find something that will help me find Dosa Khakichu and IF Ms. Araxide decides we are no longer needed while we are still in the ashlands then would she be willing to let us go early" Ujarak turns back to Ms. Araxide "Of course if you say thats not going to happen then we'll be with you until you reach your destination, you have my word"

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-20, 03:02 PM
Ms. Araxides patiently waits for you to straighten out your offer, nodding a bit at certain points, and looking you all over as if to judge whether you can really deliver as guards. When Ujarak makes his final proposal, she straightens up a bit and responds:

"Membership on a traveling caravan can be transient, and it's fine enough if you wish to get off earlier than our final destination. But I'll need to know what you intend to do, as I would not want to find myself too understaffed if the middle of the journey. If you want to sign on as paid guards I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to follow me to Ombos - I'll be paying you handsomely to protect the caravan, and I would expect to have your services for the whole trip. If you wish to pursue your own goals in the Ashlands, I suppose you can go out and about when we make stops, but I'll expect my guards back when we embark again. And of course," she adds, raising her eyebrows, "any deserters would forfeit their share of the profits."

Burnheart
2011-05-20, 07:02 PM
"Well we need money so i say we sign on as paid guards what do you all think?" Ujarak says turning to the others.

Ajadea
2011-05-20, 07:16 PM
"You're t'boss," Anya says, trying to sort out exactly how to explain to her employers the fine details about breaking contracts. They didn't seem the type to. That was annoying.

Burnheart
2011-05-23, 06:40 AM
Well then Ms. Araxides, we would like to hire on as payed guards Ujarak says turning to face her.

userpay
2011-05-23, 09:24 AM
"I'm fine with it." Myra says bouncing on the balls of her feet a little.

ex cathedra
2011-05-23, 02:59 PM
"Those terms are perfectly reasonable. As I said, I'm willing to guard the caravan until the expedition ends." With those last four words, Isak casts a meaningful glance at Ujarak. "Now, how do you propose to pay us?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-24, 01:53 PM
"Excellent," she says with a smile, that quickly evaporates when the subject changes to pay.

"Ah, yes. Well as I said before, I will be paying you a good portion, three hundred gold pieces, up front. Now I don't mean any offense by this, but I will need a certain level of insurance that you won't simply bolt with the money. So I think I shall require that both I and Ivan here," she says, indicating the half-giant, "accompany you while you spend it, and that once you finish, that you remain here with the caravan until we leave. Do you agree to these terms? I'm sure these are reasonable measures."

Burnheart
2011-05-24, 03:20 PM
"You don't trust us then" Ujarak says sadly Very well then what gear do you recommend we buy before heading into the ashlands?" he asks Ms. Araxides.

Ajadea
2011-05-24, 03:53 PM
"A'course she doesn't," Anya says derisively to Ujarak. No one trusted anyone with one hundred gold pieces around here, let alone thrice that amount. She turns to meet Rosalinda's eyes. "We agree t'your terms." She grins widely, geniunely, though not for the reasons she hoped the lady would suspect. Now even if they had to run off in the middle of the trip to chase Ujarak's mystery swordsman, they'd still cut a profit. That was a very, very, good thing.

userpay
2011-05-24, 04:05 PM
Myra turns and arches an eyebrow at Ujarak. As if the situation hadn't been much different not to long ago. "I see no issue with the terms." She quips turning back around, tapping a finger against her chin as she tries to think of what she may need to buy.

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-25, 01:58 PM
"Well it's not exactly that I find you suspicious," she says, trying to allay Ujarak's disappointment, "it's just that I have been conned before by mercenaries, and I can not afford to let it happen again. I would do this with anybody, I assure you."

"As for what to get, I can only recommend you take measures to protect yourselves from the environment of the Ashlands. Light clothing, face and eye protection, that sort of thing. Personally, I will rely on magic, as will my navigator. Beyond that, you are free to get virtually anything else you feel you need. I would suggest not buying anything here though," she says, gesturing at the many merchants hawking last-minute wares in the square, "their prices are outrageous. I own a few businesses on the other side of the river, and I'm on good terms with a few others, so I can secure you a good deal on virtually anything you want."

ex cathedra
2011-05-25, 05:06 PM
Isak nods, understandingly. "That is fair. I don't think that I'll be needing any last-minute supplies, though; I've already acquired a set of Ashlands gear. Could I simply receive my payment once the expedition has begun?"

Isak's brow furrowed momentarily. He realized that his proposition could be interpreted somewhat suspiciously. Truthfully, though, he saw no reason to spend his pay on that which he didn't immediately need. He stood rigidly, arms crossed, watching the Araxides girl. She reminded him of someone, but he couldn't place the familiarity.

Burnheart
2011-05-26, 09:55 AM
"Well i'd like to purchase some googles to block sun glare and i heard about a substance that you apply to you armour that reflects the sun light that sounds useful, that should be enough if we're sticking with your caravan for this trip i think." Ujarak says to Ms. Araxides before turning to face Myra and Anya "What about the two of you, is there anything you need?"

Ajadea
2011-05-26, 10:18 AM
Anya shrugged noncommittally. "Desert clothes, maybe. Don't wear nuff armor for that glare stuff to help. One'a t'fancy little bags that always has food in it? Dunno how much it'd be..." Anya hated hunger, hated not knowing where, when, or if her next meal would show up. She'd lived through it, she always could. Didn't mean she liked it.

userpay
2011-05-26, 01:11 PM
"Those goggles sound like a good idea. I'd like to purchase one of those amulets that protect you from hot or cold weather as well but I don't know if I've got quite enough... And maybe something to cast shade." Other than the heat itself it seemed Myra was set for travel.

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-26, 05:14 PM
Rosalina turns to Isak. "I can just give you your payment in cash, if you would prefer to spend it on the way, but I'll have to ask you to wait here once you have it. And I hardly carry around that much gold, so I'll have to fetch it for you. Until then you can come with us, stay here, or go off on your own. As long as you're here when we depart I'll see that you get your money."

As the others describe what they intend to get she nods knowingly. "Those are all prudent things to buy for this kind of journey. Fortunately they can usually be found at the same places. The Aldeen have a good stock of desert wares, and the Raleigh Syndicate has some fey treasures from Elam stashed here and there. I got my own protection from them." she says, gesturing vaguely at her chest, where no less than three jeweled necklaces are visible. "But yes, I can locate all of that fairly easily. Now we can go as soon as my-"

"Rose! Dearest!" a voice cries out. You see a dark-skinned gnome approaching with outstretched arms, decked out in flamboyantly colorful clothing and a wide-brimmed hat. He is accompanied by an elderly, bearded Solarian man, who follows him closely, walking with a cane. "You won't believe what I found you!" he says, gesturing to the old man.

Ms. Araxides puts on a big smile, clearly quite interested. "Oh, another merchant, Renaldo?" It seems she has basically forgotten you in the face of this new opportunity.

"Nope!" he replies cheerfully. Seeing her lack of amusement, he adds hastily, "but, uh, this guy - this guy is great! He's a real genuine magic man! And he says he'll come with us for free!"

"Ah, is this true sir?" she asks, suddenly in a better mood.

"Yes ma'am," he replies, "though I wouldn't say I'm so great. Just an old man with a few tricks. I got nothin' to hold me here any more, so I just wanna get to old Sasaria, which is down in Ombos now, in the south of it. It's the land of my fathers, and I just wanna see it before I go. Now I won't be too much trouble for ya -" he seems quick to add, holding his hand out in reassurance, "I've driven wagons before, and raised animals, and I know a thing or two about herbs and stitchins' - I was a doctor back home. So I think I can pull my weight at least, if you'll have me."

"No no, don't worry, we would be delighted to have you." she says, clearly impressed with his supposed abilities. "Oh, but I don't think we have been introduced - in fact, none of us have," she adds, gesturing to you and including you in the conversation again. "I am Rosalina Araxides, daughter of Araxes and owner of this expedition. And this," she says, indicating the gnome, "is my good friend, Renaldo, who shall be our primary navigator." He waves.

"Pleasure to meet ya," says the old man, shaking Ms. Araxides's hand. "Everyone calls me Doc Harlan."

"Ivan Erickson, bodyguard." bellows the otherwise rather taciturn half-giant.

Ajadea
2011-05-26, 05:35 PM
Anya's eyes flicker to Araxides' necklaces, and she grins. "Thank you, ma'am, for your kindness," she says, bowing ever so slightly to hide her glee. If they had to scram, killing the woman and stealing her magic necklaces would be a good place to start. Three of them, and at least one would protect the boss from Helios and the usurper sun.

She accepts the arrival of the gnome and the magician with equanimity, nodding along as they introduced themselves. The gnome navigated-she'd have to make protecting that one a secondary job. If they ran off, kidnapping him was not out of the question. Doc Harlan was a useful sort-healers generally were. But his age made him far less important. Her job was to help the foreigners find the man with a name like a bad sneeze, not coddle old folks. He could die in the Ashlands for all she cared. Erickson looked dangerous, but he'd have to sleep at some point. Getting rid of him would be the priority if they had to break their contract.

Burnheart
2011-05-27, 05:33 AM
"Hello i'm Ujarak my companions and i have just signed on as guards for this trip"He says with a bow.

Ajadea
2011-05-28, 11:37 PM
Anya belatedly catches on to what she was supposed to be doing. The others seemed equally confused, so there was that. "'m Anya. That's Isak. And the other girl's Myra," she says, pointing at each in turn with a slight flourish. No harm in that. She doesn't bow though. Araxides was her superior. Ujarak was her superior. That lot didn't have to be.

userpay
2011-05-28, 11:55 PM
"Myra Calanthia at your service." Myra chimes in cheerily.

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-30, 12:13 AM
Everyone acknowledges one another with a series of nods and yerps, and after pleasantries are exchanged, Ms. Araxides motions to the waiting caravan:

"Renaldo, please see the good doctor to one of the wagons. I'm sure he can make himself comfortable."

"Right!" he replies cheerfully, taking Doc Harlan by the hand and directing him to one of the apparently nicer ones. He turns around a moment after setting off to comment "It was a pleasure meeting all of you. Make sure you take good care of dear Rosalina for me!"

"Now then," says Rosalina, returning her full attention to you, "with Renaldo here to oversee the preparations, I don't believe we have any reason to delay our little shopping trip. The sellers I want to bring you to are practically on the same block, and it's only a short walk over the bridge, so we can get going as soon as you wish."

Burnheart
2011-05-30, 07:08 AM
"Then shall we go now?" Ujarak asks the others.

Ajadea
2011-05-30, 10:40 AM
Anya shrugs. "No reason t'wait."

userpay
2011-05-30, 10:47 AM
Myra nods, eager to go shopping.

ex cathedra
2011-05-30, 04:24 PM
Isak smiles and nods pleasantly as introductions proceed.

"Indeed. If you don't mind my asking, Miss Araxides, when do you expect the caravan to depart?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-05-30, 09:09 PM
"Oh, shortly after dusk I expect," she replies, starting off towards the river. Ivan takes up behind the party, keeping an eye out from above.

The group leaves from the square relatively unmolested - while there were a good number of salespeople waiting for as chance to pounce, it seems that they are suddenly hesitant to accost you now that the group is being led by Rosalina. To them, she must be more imposing than Ivan.

As promised, the walk is short, as the majority of the city of Abaris is located on the northern side of the river, where trade is more frequent by far. You walk through the sweltering slums on the south bank for only a few minutes before reaching Araxes, wide and slow-flowing in this area.

You cross a low-set, strongly built wooden bridge and almost immediately find yourselves in a finer looking city. Ms. Araxides leads you to a big square brick building marked simply:

~Aldo~
Supplies

Rosalina stops and consults with you at the door. "Get what you need, bring it up to the front, and if it fits in the budget I have for you, I will arrange payment for it. I'm good friends with Ms. Aldo here, so the prices will likely be slightly lower for us, so don't worry if it's a little bit over."

"We'll be seeing my friend from Elam next, and then I can bring you the rest as cash once you're back at the caravan. Sound good?"

Burnheart
2011-05-31, 11:03 AM
"Thank you Ms. Araxides" Ujarak says quickly spoting the sandgoggles and Vials of Armourbright he wanted "Has everyone got what they need?" he asks as he heads towards the counter with his purchases.

Ajadea
2011-05-31, 11:07 AM
Anya picked up a little blue pouch and read the tag, squinting slightly at the overly elaborate writing. Nodding, she stuck her hand in to test it. Satisfied that it was what she wanted, she whirled around and picked up a desert outfit that looked about her size. Long experience with thieving had taught her to make snap judgements of what fit her, and she knew her body well. "Got it." She takes her purchases to the counter right behind Ujarak, dumping them next to his rather unceremoniously.

userpay
2011-06-01, 12:41 PM
Myra hums to herself as she browses the isles, picking something up every now and then to look at it then putting it back. When she finally comes across the more extensive item she'd been looking for she eyes the price warily. Then remembering Ms. Araxides's mention of lower prices picks them up, a set of goggles, and heads to the counter.

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-01, 01:37 PM
The clerk, a middle aged human man with a ponytail, takes a look at your purchases and has a short, hushed conversation with Ms. Araxides. She writes on a few pieces of papers, then comes over to you.

"I think we're done here," she says, "You now own all of that."

She then leads you out and around the corner to a small shop built into a much larger building. The shop is labeled:

Raleigh Imports

"This will be a bit less simple. You tell me what you want from them, and after we account for the money I'll have to place an order. We'll get what you need before we leave, but we won't be walking away with it right now."

She seems to think for a little bit: "Myra, was it? You said you wanted an amulet like mine? I'm afriad those cost more than I'm paying you right now. Will you be willing to pay the rest? I suppose it will cost you another hundred and fifty gold."

userpay
2011-06-04, 10:07 AM
Myra thinks for a moment, they opens up a pouch to give a quick count of its contents. "Ah darn... I think I'm just short of that..." She says pouting.

Burnheart
2011-06-04, 10:11 AM
"How much short are you? I don't mind giving you the extra if i can afford it" Ujarak says with a smile.

userpay
2011-06-04, 11:00 AM
"Oh would you?" Myra beams, then does another recount of her coins. "I'd be short about... 25 gold."

Burnheart
2011-06-04, 11:43 AM
"No problem then, i should have it here somewhere" Ujarak reaches into his money pouch and fishes around for a bit until he pulls out 25 GP and hands it to Myra "There you go that should be enough"

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-04, 03:38 PM
Once the money issue is resolved, Rosalina takes the bags of gold from Myra and Anya and enters the building. She emerges about ten minutes later with two empty sacks and a loose necklace in hand.

"A bit to my surprise, they were able to just hand me the necklace," she says, giving it to Myra. "Take care of it - these things aren't much more resilient than they look."

The necklace was a thick set of mismatched beads of various natural materials - stones and bones and a half-dozen kinds of wood. From it hangs a polished pendant of some bizarre, rock-hard wood that shines with many colors, carved with strange sylvan glyphs. It didn't look like much compared to the jewels of Ms. Araxides's necklaces, but its magic is apparent the instant you put it on, as it provides welcome relief from the heat.

Rosalina turns to Anya next. "We'll have to wait on the bag, since they don't usually keep these things on hand. But they say they have a decent number of those in stock, so we'll definitely be seeing it before we leave."

"And I think that's that," she says, turning towards the south. "I don't believe we have any reason to tarry here, and while Renaldo is a reliable man I think he'd rather be looking at charts than managing the caravan."

And with that Ms. Araxides leads you back to the bridge, though she stops about midway across it to turn back to you. She folds up her parasol, which had hardly been useful recently now that the wind was beginning to pick up more, and hands it to Ivan.

"Before we go back," she says, "I just wanted to make sure that everything was right with you. There's nothing more you want to do on the north side, until we return from our trip? You should know that once you commit to guard my expedition I don't think you'll be coming back here for quite a while. So," she asks, suddenly serious, "are you sure about this?"

Burnheart
2011-06-04, 07:27 PM
Ujarak pauses for a moment to think then shakes his head "There is nothing else i need to do here, so yes i'm ready to start whenever you need me Ms. Araxides" Ujarak then walks across the bridge to the south side of the river and stops waiting for the others.

Ajadea
2011-06-04, 10:01 PM
"Nothin' kept me here this long 'cept that one's offer," Anya says, pointing to Ujarak. "He's goin', so I'm goin'. Simple as that."

userpay
2011-06-05, 12:30 AM
Myra claps excitedly. "Thank you thank you thank you Ujarak!"

-----------------

At Ms. Araxides's question Myra just shrugs. "I've got nothing here to hold be back. Left that all waaaaay far away."

ex cathedra
2011-06-05, 11:45 AM
Isak kept his reservations to himself as the trading occurred.

"Agreed. We have no further obligations here." If anything, Isak was excited to leave the urban setting. The sooner they were on their way, the better.

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-05, 06:10 PM
"Good, good," says Rosalina, walking over to the edge of the bridge.

"Did you hear that, father?" she calls, shouting at the river. It seems like a small whirlpool has formed in the waters, directly underneath where she stands. "These four people are going with me. They've agreed to protect me. So if I may ask a favor..." she says, looking at all four of you grimly, "Until I return, let none of these people ever cross your waters again, until they have given a full and true account of the journey. You may do as you wish after that."

The whirlpool bubbles up and unleashes a spout of water, then settles down in an instant.

"There," she says, stepping down from the edge. "I hope that wasn't too dramatic. Just one last bit of insurance, you see. Now without further adieu, I believe we have a caravan to see to."

And with that, she begins to walk south. Ivan closes his mouth and moves to catch up with her. He seems suddenly less concerned with watching over you.

Burnheart
2011-06-05, 07:10 PM
"So that was the river spirit who rules this town" turning to his companions Ujarak asks "Do any of you know something about him?"

I'll make some Knowledge checks for Ujarak to see what he knows about Araxes

Knowledge History [roll0]
Knowledge Local [roll1]

Hmm a 20 for History and a 1 for Local, i think local would get me more but *Shrug*

ex cathedra
2011-06-05, 10:47 PM
"That," Isak began, venomously, "was no sign of good faith. I don't mind working for you, but I do mind being deceived."

"Not to mention, Miss Araxides, what are we to do if you don't return?" he grimly inquires. His practiced, proper speech patterns slip away momentarily as Isak practically hisses his employer's title. Realizing his mistake, Isak's eyes suddenly widen as he attempts to regain some composure. "... I mean, if you don't return immediately, of course."

userpay
2011-06-05, 11:15 PM
A curious look passes over Myra's face as she observes some sort of ritual occurring. "Oo oo oo just what was that?" Myra asked excitedly, seemingly oblivious to the implications of what just happened. "That almost sounded like you have a pact or deal with something, just the sort of thing I study!"

Ajadea
2011-06-05, 11:17 PM
Anya's eyes widen when Araxides begins talking to the river-the river spirit, her father. She lets out a sigh at Araxides' words. The woman didn't have a bit of trust in her body. Wise, yes, but it made things so much harder. Isak's words instill a great urge in Anya to just gag her employer, his friend, and the girl too in case. If they would just think before they opened their fool foreign mouths...

"Isak, do us all a favor an shut up," she snaps, smacking him in the back of the head. It worked on Nalona, it might work on Isak too. "I'd b'surprised if t'lady trusted any'un on t'van. I'd not."

ex cathedra
2011-06-05, 11:55 PM
Isak stares at Anya intently. "Anya, please don't. I don't care if she's still distrustful of me. I've been straight-forward with her, the least she could do is return the favor." He snorts dismissively before continuing, and his focus shifts mid-sentence from Anya to his employer. "I don't even mind her asking that of the spirit, but you shouldn't have withheld it from us."

"It's practically..." he begins, pausing in order to recall the right word. "extortion. I don't want this to be a problem, Miss Araxides, but I need to know that you won't pull something like this again."

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-06, 03:16 PM
Ujarak:
(You know everything in the blurb about Araxes in the OOC OP, in addition to the following))

Araxes is a very old river spirit, predating humanity at least. He has always had a big influence on the region, as a major river, but it has become far more pronounced now that he has fewer rivals. He has a relatively large number of children, both mortal and spirit, but for a river spirit "a relatively large number" still only works out to about two or three Araxides in a generation.

Araxes is thought to be pretty level-headed for a spirit, taking things slowly and planning more than most. He is less likely than others to fly off the handle when offended - though he may still likely take revenge, it will be more cerebral and personal than that of other spirits. This patience and underhanded approach have lent themselves well to Araxes's survival, considering that he is at the mercy of two gods, yet has not been killed.
Rosalina turns to face Isak and his criticisms, crossing her arms before speaking. She seems slightly put off.

"Different things work for different people, Isak, and I just want to be sure where we stand. Mercenaries are a dangerous lot, and I've been betrayed by them before."

"And if I die," she says, scanning over you and turning her gaze to the water, "well, I trust the judgement of the River. He'll destroy my killers and spare my grieving friends, and he'll know the truth about which you are. You have nothing to worry about, if you were being honest with me just now."

Burnheart
2011-06-06, 06:44 PM
"Of course we were Ms. Araxides" Ujarak replies quickly before Isak can speak "I gave you my word that i would see you safely to your destination and i'm not going to break it"

userpay
2011-06-07, 01:06 AM
Myra peers back into the water."So its a spirit then? Doesn't it have a name? Much more polite than just calling it river." She looks up at Isak. "Lighten up. I mean she did give us payment prior, we don't cross her and we're solid." Perhaps shes use to this sort of thing...

Burnheart
2011-06-07, 11:11 AM
Looking at Myra Ujarak smiles and says "Araxes, the river spirit is called Araxes and Ms. Araxides has no pact with him, as she said he is her father" A bemused look appears on Ujaraks face "I didn't know spirits could sire children with mortals though"

ex cathedra
2011-06-07, 01:20 PM
Isak disregards Ujarak and Myra's remarks. "It's not like you don't come off as being 'dangerous' yourself. When we made a deal, I was under the impression that we would at least attempt to be straight with eachother. I... see now that this might not be the case." He sighs with obvious exhasperation, and begins to gaze absently towards the river. After a pause, he turns back to Rosalina. "I'm sorry. I'm ready to continue... if you are."

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-07, 08:10 PM
Rosalina continues to look away.

"This is very important to me, Isak, and it's a big risk to go out there, especially with strangers. Maybe... I didn't need to do this - I hope I didn't need to do this. But I was just trying to protect myself."

userpay
2011-06-07, 08:28 PM
Myra muses for a moment. "Well the relationship of father and daughter might be considered a pact..." For some reason it seems she actually has become somewhat serious. "Anyway you can't blame Ms. Araxides. Her own reasons aside many spirits these days are much more hesitant and careful than they use to be. Besides, everyone is entitled to their secrets." Myra grins but... rather than the white teeth and pink gums that were there before they now appear black. "Sometimes its necessary for survival." Abruptly the gums and teeth resume a normal color and Myra turns to Ms. Araxides. "Though if its okay with you I would love to hear more about your... situation if you would. Perhaps on the road."

Burnheart
2011-06-07, 08:29 PM
"You didn't" Ujarak says firmly "but from what i've seen of this town.. you had no way of knowing that" he says sadly his voice trailing off at the end.

Ajadea
2011-06-07, 08:41 PM
"We know," Anya said, nodding once, firmly. "I think we're 'bout ready t'go, nless someone's got a problem they've not told me 'bout."

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-08, 05:00 PM
At that, Ms. Araxides turns back to you.

"No, I don't think there are any problems. Or any more surprises today, for that matter." She looks off to the south for a moment. "Let's get back to the caravan. We should prepare to leave as soon as the temperature permits." With this she begins to lead you back to the square, through the same seedy streets you took on your way to the stores.

After a few minutes of walking, it seems she has loosened up a bit, and she turns to Myra as the group moves along. "Very astute of you, Myra, to recognize the pact I made with my father. That was a spiritual oath, the kind the decent spirits hate to break. Though I'm not sure if you heard him swear it. I'm glad to hear you study the spirits - it'll be good to have another educated person on board. Renaldo is a nice man, but I think he knows a bit too much to hold a good conversation."

At this point you enter the square again, no less busy a place as it was when you left. It looks like the Araxides caravan proper is nearly done being loaded up, as the porters only seem to be working on two of the wagons. Renaldo seems to be directing them. You can see Doc Harlan inspecting the camels, kneeling, with a bit of difficulty, to take a look at the feet of one of the bigger ones. The other guards are all sitting in the shade of the exterior wall, watching the proceedings but apparently not doing much to help.

As Rosalina approaches the caravan Renaldo breaks off and approaches, walking briskly to meet her.

"Rose I think we've got to talk about logistics here. We've got twice as many animals as people and twice as many guards as civilians. As far as I know only me and the Doctor know how to deal with the beasts, and I'm busy and I really don't know how much he can manage. This is going to be... rough, to say the least. It may have been a mistake to launch today, when even the desperate can find slightly less suicidal options right next door to us."

"Calm down, Renaldo, I'm sure we'll get more interest," she says serenely, without stopping. Renaldo begins to follow her, walking alongside you. He shuffles around some papers in his hands, finding one covered in hastily scrawled Gnomish and a lot of numbers.

"I wouldn't be so sure myself. The Mercai already have record attendance, and the Aldeen are nearly full. Even the Raleighs are outdoing us five-to-one and they've proven they can't drive! Hours we've been at work here and we have eleven people. Eleven, to manage five wagons and two dozen camels. Either we need everybody to pull more than their own weight, or we need more people."

"We've already discussed this Renaldo. I'm not dragging slave labor into the Ashlands. And we'll have Tristan with us at least, and I doubt he'd come alone, so we'll have thirteen members at a bare minimum."

"Then it sounds like we're all going to be pulling that extra weight, since I doubt we'll get much more than that," he says, disappointed. "But I can make that work! I can optimize it, I think," he adds, looking at all of you. He seems to think for a moment. "Well the hope is that we at least get to spend most of our time not being attacked out there, so I hope you guards are prepared to patch holes and brush camels, because that's what we're going to have to do if we want to keep this running."

After a short pause he adds, "You folks have magic and stuff right? I mean you're a spirit and this guy has a tail," he says, pointing to Ujarak and Isak, respectively. "If you can do anything that doesn't involve killing people I'd really like to know. I'm very good at coordinating, and I'll try to see that you get to help us as best you can."

Burnheart
2011-06-08, 05:50 PM
Ujarak shakes his head "I'm afraid i can't help you with the camels or wagons, i do know several of the spirit languages but that probably won't be needed"

Ajadea
2011-06-08, 05:59 PM
Anya grins crookedly. "Most of my skills're good for no 'cept bein' a street rat. Don't think bein' able t'pick locks, walk a tightrope, or snag a man's purse off his belt are gonna be any use here. 'course, I can do some poking around for ya, find some'un else who's desperate as us lot to get deep in t'Ashlands or take t'fast track t'Ombos."

userpay
2011-06-08, 06:20 PM
Despite her smile Myra's voice takes on a somber tone briefly. "Unfortunately much of my knowledge is of the spirits that have already... passed." She winks. "Though they're still around if you know how to look. I certainly look forward to further discussion though."

At the caravan Myra can only shrug at Renaldo's questions. "I can send my raven here to scout the way for us. As to helping with the caravan itself I don't think I've any practical experience."

Ajadea
2011-06-08, 06:25 PM
"I can do some scouting's well, though t'lack of wings might be a sticky point," Anya says. "An mebbe if you told those folks over there that t'Raleigh lot don't even know where they're goin' themselves, might bring some a'them scurryin' over t'you. Least they'd know where they'd b'goin', even if the path's new. And 'sides, we're goin' through t'unknown. Might find somethin' interestin' there t'rival the haul of fancy bits t'Raleighs always bring back.

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-08, 11:08 PM
Renaldo is quick to respond to Ujarak's statement. "Don't sell yourself short, my friend!" he says, patting him on the arm, "The more languages we know the better. Best to be able to negotiate with angry fire spirits or genies or whatever we might come across out there, you know."

At Anya's proposals, Renaldo thinks for a minute, scanning the crowd.

"Most people already know about the caravan, since we made that advertisement and all, so I'm not sure you'll be able to find much in the way of new interest. But if you're willing to go out and look I'm sure it couldn't hurt. Between me and Rosalina I think we'll have things covered here for the time being."

"I wouldn't bother going north of the river though," he adds, "anyone willing to work in an Ashlands caravan will likely be around these parts already."

Burnheart
2011-06-09, 05:22 AM
"Except i don't know the language of the fire spirits, just the languages of the Air, Earth and forest spirits" Ujarak tilts his head and smiles "I don't think we'll be seeing many forest spirits here do you?"

ex cathedra
2011-06-11, 12:14 AM
"Well, I don't necessarily just "kill people," you know." Isak pauses in contemplation. "As a matter of fact, I might be able to help you with your animal problems. What will you need me to do?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-12, 03:19 PM
"Let's hope not, Mr. Ujarak. They won't be happy about being in a desert. But you'll have to go far indeed to find a place in the natural world where there are no earth or air spirits, so you'll be helping us just the same."

At Isak's question Renaldo is visibly relieved. "Anything you can do about the animals will be quite welcome. I know a lot about them but I just can't seem to get along with the stubborn things. Just lead and handle them, keep them in line and in step with the caravan, that sort of thing. These are good and docile as far as Solarian Camels go, so it, uh, shouldn't be too hard." He seems a little annoyed at this last bit, and gives an exasperated look at the camels.

Ajadea
2011-06-12, 10:39 PM
As the conversation turns to camels, Anya decides it's a good time to go find the stragglers who really needed a ride. She heads into the taverns of wannabe adventurers who would fall over their feet trying to make a name for themselves, the seedier places where the desperate and the penniless waited looking for a next meal. Frankly, Araxides was in no position to be choosy. Anya knew well that even beggars and criminals had use, given that she had been both about six months back.

Botched roll, replacement roll in the OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11196254#post11196254)

Gather Information - (1d20+7)[22]

userpay
2011-06-13, 03:27 PM
Myra tags along with Anya. Thinking that she'd be of more use abroad than working with ill tempered animals.
Gather Info
[roll0]

Burnheart
2011-06-13, 04:19 PM
Ujarak decides to talk to the other guards that Ms. Araxides hired and see if any of them are practitioners of the Sublime Way. "Excuse me" he asks after walking up to one of the other guards "Who is in charge of the hired security?"

ex cathedra
2011-06-14, 10:23 PM
Isak nods understandingly. "I'll see what I can do."

As the conversations wind down and the group diverges, Isak begins to drift around the caravan site. He takes note of the equipment and his fellow caravaneers, while looking for a relatively quiet locale. His search is more or less unsuccessful, as he finds that the majority of the caravan is naturally still broiled in the bustle of their preparations. He settles down against an interior wall, still uncomfortably close to the din arising from the square.

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-15, 12:38 AM
"Suicide, huh? Not my cup of tea."

"I'd think that, er, any place that was unchated for two hennerd years... is unchated fer a reason."

"The Moss's payment might not be so... extravagant, but it's enough for what I have in mind. Best wishes though!"

"Actually, haha, I think I know a guy..."

"He told you what? I'm gonna kill him." The halfling you were directed to lets out a long sigh, and takes a good, squinty look at the two of you, leaning over his meal to get a closer look. He was a small one, even for a halfling, and dressed in fine clothes that seem to clash with the sort of thuggish air with which he carries himself. His blond hair was cut very short, and his skin is a good deal paler than the norm for the area.

After a tense moment, he shrugs and sits back, apparently having decided to trust you in an instant. "But yeah, maybe I do need to move some goods into Ombos. Sensitive goods, you know. Stuff that they don't want, or, y'know, that they want a whole lot but can't get. My guy on the Merca crew up and died on me, and now I don't have a way in. I didn't think Araxides would be good to work with, but if you say otherwise, that's a start. If I can pack my goods on with no questions asked, and no trouble, we can talk."

[hr]
The caravan guards are all reclining in the shade of an awning attached to the city wall, watching the proceedings at the caravan. There are three of them, a human, a half-elf, and a full blooded elf. All are young men, and they are all wearing matching sets of black studded leather armor. In fact a lot of their equipment seems nearly identical, and you suspect they might be part of some team or otherwise part of a group. The three of them seem to be maintaining their weapons, which include heavy crossbows as well as longswords, while otherwise relaxing and conversing with one another when Ujarak interrupts them.

"Ah, you're one of the new ones?" asks the elf, smiling contemptuously. "Did she do the river thing yet?"

"Answer the question, Avaril," says the human man, in a bored sort of drawl.

"Fine fine. Big guy's in charge," he says, pointing to Ivan, who is still vigilant at Rosalina's side.

Ujarak:
It's hard to get a good idea of them when they're reclining like this. From the alertness they display and the care they take with their weapons it does seem like they've seen combat. On the other hand, you don't see anything in their movements or demeanor that suggests they practice the Sublime Way.

Ajadea
2011-06-15, 01:14 AM
Anya shrugs, choosing her words carefully. "Araxides won't trust you, but t'lady don't trust a living soul. Sics her dad on every'un who wants t'go with her, just as a warnin' t'you. But she needs more people, an she needs'em now. I don't think she's gonna be picky 'bout what you're packin'." She smiles, her expression devoid of kindness or empathy.

Burnheart
2011-06-15, 09:07 AM
"Thank you for answering my question" Ujarak replies "and yes we have already be introduced to Araxes" he continues "If you'll excuse me" he says with a slight nod of his head before going off to speak with Ivan.

"Greetings Ivan" Ujarak says with a bow "I'm curious about your fighting techniques, do you mind if i ask you about it?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-16, 04:39 PM
"Heh, good to hear, because I don't intend to tell her. If she agrees to that me an' my partner might just take the trip with you lot. And I couldn't care less what her dad ohhhh crap it's the river." He seems to pause for a bit to think, his eyes switching between the two of you.

"Oookay. What do you mean? What happens with her dad, and is it going to be a problem for me?"

[hr]
Ivan eyes Ujarak as he approaches, straightening up and cracking his neck when he gets close. At Ujarak's question, he lets out a deep laugh. "Oho, ask if you wish, if I'm not too sloppy for you!"

Ajadea
2011-06-16, 04:47 PM
"'til she gets back safe an' sound, her dad's not gonna let any'un who's left with her back cross t'river 'less they give him t'story of what happened on t'road," Anya says casually, cold smile still fixed on her face. An' if he don't like the story...well, he's got free rein t'do anything he wants to t'folk that come back without his dear daughter.

She leans back. "'less you're plannin to kill Araxides, not a problem."

userpay
2011-06-16, 05:04 PM
Myra tilts her head at the halfling. "You've got a friend that'll be coming along as well? What is he like? And as to her dad it's just something she does so that she doesn't get betrayed. No betrayal no worries!"

Burnheart
2011-06-16, 08:40 PM
"Please forgive me if i offended you" Ujarak says with a serious look "My coment was not intended as a criticism but as an observation. Your stance, which my teachers would call the Iron Guards Glare, is part of the Devoted Spirit discipline of the Sublime way but as i said, sloppier than anything i've seen before in a fellow practitioner of the Sublime way." Ujarak pauses for a moment "Which makes me think its not something you were taught but something you learned yourself, is that right?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-17, 03:13 PM
"Ugghhh, I hate to be tied down like that. Rather be able to split if you all get eaten by dragons or something, y'know? But..." he says with a sigh, "if you all died it's not like I'd get far alone anyway. Or else I'dve gone out there myself already. This is still lookin' like my best chance, so... fine."

At Myra's question, he shrugs. "If the lady's grace is the only thing keeping me alive or free, I don't have much of a reason to stab her in the back. Just good business, y'know? As for my partner, he's just a guy I'm workin' with on this job. Don't know too much about him, and I don't much care to. He's been pissed about the holdup, so he'll probably want to hear about this." With that, he rises, and dusts off his clothes a bit. "In fact, I'll go talk to him about this, if we're all done here. If he's on board we'll be seeing you at the caravan soon enough. Go tell the lady that I got some cargo for her, and it ain't none of her business what it is."

[hr]
Ivan maintains a jovial demeanor with Ujarak. "I ain't that offended, boy, especially if you're tryin' to tell me my own style is like your masters'. Not familiar wit the Sublime Way, always figgerd it was fancy dancin' and sittin 'round meditatin', but now I hear some a them have sense! I mean this is just practical stuff," he says, settling himself into a more exaggerated version of the stance. Rosalina rolls her eyes, and walks away with Renaldo.

"You're tellin' me this is sloppy? It's worked for me so far. And what'd you call it?"

Ajadea
2011-06-17, 03:35 PM
"Of course," Anya says, nodding and rising. There were other places to check, to be sure, but there were two more people who would likely be on the 'van. It was a start.

userpay
2011-06-17, 07:52 PM
Myra smiles and nods, stands, and is ready to follow Anya.

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-18, 03:03 PM
"Now see, why would I want to go to Ombos, when I could go with Aldo and see the genies? Less pay maybe, but also less horrible dark gods. And have you seen those genies? Hot stuff."

"You realize I'm just the innkeeper right?"

"Daruk not go anywhere without route plan. Daruk not that dumb." Thus speaks the lizardfolk who is apparently named Daruk. After a moment, he points vaguely to another table. "Crazy man over there. Ask him."

"Three hundred! Such a sum, I love it!" This guy is almost jumping out of his seat. His eyes shine a deep blue, blazing up with his excitement. "And the beautiful Lady of the River, destitute of the help she needs, all alone on a trip into dangers uncharted! I would go in a heartbeat, to face these dangers for you."

"But alas!" he says, turning his face away and clenching his fist, "I must not! I have dedicated myself to the capture of the foul villain, Dosa Khakichu, and I have heard that he was seen last in this city of Abaris. I can not distract myself from this great task."

Ajadea
2011-06-18, 03:24 PM
Anya suppresses a groan. 'Crazy man' was a very apt description. His mannerisms were more dramatic than an entire street troupe putting on a play. But they did need the help. And he was going after the guy with a name like a bad sneeze too. And, best of all, the crazy man sounded like the sort of idiot who would sacrifice his life for another. So it wasn't all bad. "You aren't t'only un goin' after Dosa Kakkychoo, or whatever his name is," she says casually, sliding into a chair across from the madman.

"M'boss-not Araxides, t'guy who hired me as a guide 'round Abaris, he's hunting whats-his-name s'well, an he says that Kakkychoo might be in t'Ashlands already. I think you'd like him." You've both gotcha own special kinda crazy.

Burnheart
2011-06-18, 05:33 PM
"The Iron guards glare, that is the name my masters gave it anyway" Ujarak shrugs "Tell me do any of the others going on this trip know anything like that?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-20, 04:38 PM
"The Ashlands! Of course! Why didn't I think of that? Desperate to escape his crime, the vile thief runs into the very heart of the Sun's fury, a deadly waste few dare to enter. But he has underestimated his pursuers!" he stands suddenly at this, and faces you directly.

"Come then! I will follow Dosa Khakichu to the ends of the earth, and I will gladly accept the aid of your friend in my task. And I swear, on the very souls of all who have walked the earth before me," he says, kneeling, "that as long as we are together, I will do everything in my power to protect you, the Lady, and her caravan."

[hr]
"Can't tell ya. I didn't even know my own things were, uh, sublime. Renaldo knows a lotta stuff, but the little guy couldn't fight his way outta' a wet bag, so I'm guessin' no. Maybe he's hearda it, I don't know. And I think I got an edge on those three, tell ya the truth. Wouldn't be surprised if they only knew the basics."

Burnheart
2011-06-20, 05:41 PM
"I see" Ujarak says before falling silent for a moment "I wonder would you like to spar some time? I have not had the opportunity to practice against a strong opponent for quite some time."

Ajadea
2011-06-20, 08:02 PM
Anya sighs. Traveling with this crazy man would be a chore. At best. "As a warnin' t'you, Araxides'll threaten you with her dad. Don't mind it, s'long s'you don't betray her or anythin' like that, you should be just fine."

She stands and heads off to find more potential recruits. If she walks a bit more quickly than normal, it seems to go mostly unnoticed.

userpay
2011-06-20, 08:12 PM
Again Myra is smiling but she shares a look with Anya over the man's apparent fanaticism. As she stands to follow Anya she pauses long enough to say, "Good to have you on board. By the way whats your name?" and hear its response before rushing after her companion.

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-21, 05:28 PM
"Why, I would never dare betray the lady. Her father has nothing to fear!" with this he gets up again and faces Myra. "My name is Armen Haro, and I am honored to meet you," he says with a slight bow. "Thank you for leading me in the right direction."

With this he follows along with the two ladies, as they continue to seek new recruits. A process that unfortunately does not go as well from now on. It seems Renaldo had a point, in that the more desperate candidates still had the other caravans as options. It seems that a common thread in rejections stems from the fact that the Moss-Raleigh expedition paid well too, but was far larger and likely safer than the Araxides caravan, despite their previous failure. Few would choose the higher pay offered by Araxides over this security. The next two hours are essentially fruitless, and sunset is fast approaching.

[hr]
"Ha, I've not had that kinda challenge in years. I'd love ta, I swear, but..." he says, giving a grim look at the gates and the desert beyond, "today might be one of the most dangerous, or so Renaldo says. Can't afford either of us bein' roughed up or even tired, if there's gonna be bandits and raiders right out the door."

Burnheart
2011-06-21, 05:50 PM
"Of course the safety of the caravan comes first, perhaps when we reach a somewhat safe stop in the Ashland then?"

Ajadea
2011-06-21, 07:51 PM
Anya swears when she sees how late it is. "Two. Well, s'better than none. Let's get back then." She stays silent the rest of the way back to the caravan.

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-23, 09:37 PM
"Ha. Yer on, guy."

[hr]
~Some time later~

The sun chariot is well past the middle of its journey across the sky as Myra and Anya return to the caravan. It seems the square is far less busy now. Most of the caravans have completed their recruitment efforts, and many of the merchants and scalpers have left with the crowds. A few groups of people can still be seen here and there, but it seems that at this point, the majority of them are here for the usual business instead of the caravans.

At the Araxides caravan, some final preparations are being made. Tarps being tied down, animals being led to their placements, seating arrangements being discussed, and so on. The porters have left, their task long since complete.

Two people have come to speak with Rosalina: a short and well-dressed halfling, and a burly, brown-skinned orc with a shaved head. Anya and Myra recognize the halfling from earlier and it's a safe bet the orc is his partner. Adjacent to the two of them is a group of boxes of some kind on a small cart, concealed under a canvass. The orc, who is as well-dressed as the halfling, is speaking to Rosalina. He seems remarkably eloquent for an orc, though he speaks with a strange accent.

"I'm glad to hear we don't have a problem, Ms. Araxides. I believe we have an agreement then," he says, putting his hand out.

Rosalina takes it and gives a single gentle shake. "Yes, we're clear, and I look forward to your help on the journey, Mister...?"

"Call me Hakim. And my associate here is Gavin," he says, gesturing to the halfling. "I'm sorry we can't act as guards, but the two of us are not exactly fighters. I think we'll make enough from the shipment to justify keeping ourselves away from the front lines, so to-"

"Lady Araxides!" shouts Armen, butting himself into the conversation. Armen grabs her hand, kneels, and kisses it. "You don't need to worry, my lady. I, Armen Haro, am here to help you on this perilous voyage. Your allies were kind enough to assist me in my quest," he continues, gesturing to Myra and Anya. Rosalina gives them a worried look. What have you done? "-and thus, I am in your debt. I would lay down my life to protect you."

Gavin and Hakim share a look. "Umm. I think the two of us are gonna go handle our stuff. Personally," says Gavin, walking away from the scene with a shrug.

Rosalina looks down at Armen. "That's, ah, splendid. I'm sure we'll be glad to have your help..."

"HEY ALL YOU GUARDS," bellows Ivan from the back of one of the wagons, loud enough for all of you to hear him quite clearly. "RENALDO WANTS YOU OVER HERE." Renaldo is right next to him, his hand on his face in exasperation.

Ajadea
2011-06-24, 01:02 AM
Anya heads over to the Araxides woman first, not-so-gently pushing the crazy man from earlier out of the way. "They're t'only ones who wanted t'come with. An' t'crazy's not all bad-he'll throw himself inta right messes for you. If you don't like 'em, I'll just head out 'n deal with 'em for you. S'what I do, see, sometimes. When m'not bein' a tour guide for a lot a'foreigners."

Before Ms. Araxides replies, Anya scrambles over the load of stuff to Ivan and Renaldo. "What?"

Burnheart
2011-06-24, 03:39 AM
Hearing Ivan calling Ujarak heads over to and greets him with a nod before turning to face Renaldo "Is there a problem sir?" he asks

userpay
2011-06-24, 10:18 AM
Myra gives Araxides a sort of helpless shrug as she passes by. "Whats up!?" She asks cheerily when she reaches Renaldo.

ex cathedra
2011-06-24, 03:17 PM
Isak eventually reaches the group surrounding Renaldo. "Hello again, everyone. So, what exactly does Renaldo want?" he inquires, smiling. Isak was looking forward to heading out, and it seemed like he wouldn't have to wait too much longer.

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-25, 08:15 PM
By the time Isak joins the gathering, every guard is present, save for the possible exception of Armen, who remains with Rosalina. Renaldo takes a quick roll in his head and shrugs. "You know, Ivan? I'm not arguing with these results."

"Okay," he says after a short pause. "By the looks of things we'll be out of here in less than two hours, and possibly even less than one. The thing is, the people who live south of Abaris know about the caravans that leave it, and I would not be surprised in the slightest if we ran into them today. So I think it's important to talk about defensive plans, just in case."

Renaldo picks up a short stick and begins tracing out some lines in the sand (http://www.editgrid.com/user/figmieser/Caravan). "My expertise isn't in tactics, but from what I've heard, the old line of wagons method won't suit us very well on this particular trip. We're so small that we couldn't make a very substantial fortification with the wagons, and if we were ever attacked by the sort of force that would make a normal caravan circle, we'd all die anyway. I say we keep everything scrunched up - enough to maneuver if we have to, but otherwise as small as possible, to minimize our profile and to give our rather small team of guards time to get anywhere you're needed. I also hear asymmetry is good, to help foil any plans that happen to have been made from only one point of view."

Renaldo continues to trace in the dirt, marking out the locations of some of the camels that are being brought along. "Clearly," he continues, "we have five wagons, twenty camels, and eight devoted guards. Nine if Rose is hiring that new guy. We'll need five people to drive the wagons and at least a few to tend to the camels. We don't have the manpower to lead them in small groups, but the nice thing about Solarian camels is that once they get behind another one, they'll just follow the leader. Most of the time at least. So we'll put them in vague lines with one person leading them and maybe another to watch from the side or rear to make sure none of them wander. I figure the people doing this will already be out on the flanks, so some might as well double as guards. If any of you want to volunteer for that, please tell me. You'll be out in the sun and on your feet a lot though."

"Finally," he says, "we'll need to organize the rest of you. I hope I don't sound too selfish for this, but I think I'll require a guard up in the front with me. Preferably someone with good eyes and good aim. The rear could also do with some coverage. Just sit in the back of the last wagon, keep a crossbow or something ready in case of trouble. Rose insists in being in the middle, with Ivan, so don't worry too much about her. If they get there, we're already in big enough trouble. The rest of you, I'd like to hear about where you'd prefer to be, and why. You're probably more familiar with your capabilities than I."

Burnheart
2011-06-26, 10:54 AM
"Hmm well i have no ranged weapon, do you have any spares i could use?" Ujarak asks.

userpay
2011-06-28, 12:24 PM
Myra considers the drawing an shrugs. "I don't have a ranged weapon either, so I suppose I'll go on one of the side wagons or something so I can get into the fray quickly."

Ajadea
2011-06-28, 01:21 PM
Anya looks about ready to hit someone. "What sorta idiot heads out into t'unknown without at least a sling?" she snaps. She tips her head back and sighs. "Unlike these two idiots, I've a bow and I know how t'use it. I'll sit up front, if y'don't mind. I'd like t'see where we're goin'."

ex cathedra
2011-06-29, 05:10 PM
Isak examines the plans for a few moments before gesturing at one of the side wagons. "I think it would be best if I were here."

Burnheart
2011-06-30, 01:52 AM
"I'll take the rear wagon then"

Claudius Maximus
2011-06-30, 01:00 PM
Renaldo sighs. "Really? Nothing ranged? I thought you were supposed to get these preparations done with Rosalina."

He looks around for a moment. "My own spare is probably too small for you, so I suppose we'll have to get new stuff. I can try to arrange for a delivery before we leave, but you're paying. What do you need?"

userpay
2011-06-30, 02:32 PM
Myra shrugs. "To be fair my feathered friend," the shouldered raven gives a squawk. "here usually is able to point out any danger. That or I... Prep something special for the day."

Burnheart
2011-06-30, 04:52 PM
"Hmm perhaps just a simple sling then, i never trained to fight at a distance only to fight face to face with my foes" Ujarak replies proudly.

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-01, 10:12 PM
"Fascinating, but it's my sincere hope that anything that attacks us is dead before it reaches the caravan. I'm at least getting you two some slings."

After a few minutes spent debating placement with the guards, Renaldo stands up and takes a good look at the drawings, which had been updated as the discussion proceeded. "So we're agreed then, Ivan with Rose, Anya in the front with me, Myra on the left wagon, Isak on the right, Ujarak on the rear, Avaril and Desmond on the left flank, and Cerwyn on the right rear? Hm, we're going to need more up front... I'll talk to those new faces about that."

"Ha, this is fantastic!" Armen walks confidently across the square, with Rosalina a few steps behind him. They're coming from the direction of the river, and by the look of Armen's new cloak, he's agreed to be a guard. "A quest bound by the sacred oath of the great River Araxes. The wrath of a-"

"HEY WEIRDO! WHERE YA GONNA BE ON THE CARAVAN?" shouts Ivan.

"Wha..? Well, right in the front! The better to-"

"GOT IT." Ivan turns back to the group with a shrug. "Perfect, right?"

"I'm not sure how I feel about that... proximity, but I do suppose it's for the best. If we're done here I believe I'll go talk to the halfing and the orc. I think I heard one of them mention driving." With that Renaldo moves to leave.

"Oh!" he says, turning around, "I'm going to order those slings too, and plenty of ammunition while I'm at it. Don't want you running out. I guess I can handle it, with all the money we're saving on water. You had better see to any business you have left here, since we're leaving very soon. Otherwise, you can get yourselves situated on the caravan."

Burnheart
2011-07-02, 06:23 AM
Ujarak looks at his companions "Do we have anything left to do here or shall take our place with the rest of the caravan?"

ex cathedra
2011-07-07, 10:01 AM
"Renaldo, wait." Isak looked up from the diagrams. "Who, exactly, am I going to be riding with?"

Ajadea
2011-07-07, 10:16 AM
Anya sighs. Seems the world wanted to make her pay through the nose for hiring this crazy right now. "I can gag 'im," she says, pointing at Armen.

userpay
2011-07-07, 10:39 AM
"I'm ready to mount up." Myra bounces a little, excited at the prospect of starting out.

Burnheart
2011-07-07, 12:43 PM
"Then we are ready to leave" Ujarak says as he begins walking to his assigned wagon.

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-07, 01:05 PM
Renaldo looks back at Isak. "That's what I'm going to figure out now. If I'm wrong about the new folks, then I guess our best hope is that Tristan Jaroo brings a spare driver. Unless one of you knows how to drive," he says with a shrug. "I mean there's not much to it in this terrain, if you know how to keep the animals under control in an emergency."

Renaldo smiles at Anya's comment. "We'll see."

ex cathedra
2011-07-09, 07:07 AM
"Fair enough," he replies, shaking his head. "Sorry, though, but I wouldn't know much about wagon driving. I suppose that's that, then. I'll head over to my wagon and wait for whoever you send my way."

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-13, 01:15 AM
A few minutes after Renaldo's departure, Isak is joined in the right wagon by Hakim. The half-orc slams his heavy rucksack behind the driver's seat and hops on with a grunt.

"Isak, right? I'm driving this thing. I tell you to do something with the wagon, you do it. Animals? Same thing. I know what I'm doing here, and I don't need you screwing it up. Your job is looking out. We clear?"

[hr]
After about twenty minutes, Renaldo returns with a handful of slings and a big sack slung over his shoulder. He hands the slings out to whoever needs one and directs everyone to take bullets from the sack as they wish. After a short, hushed conversation with Rosalina, he moves to the front of the caravan, clears his throat, and addresses all of you:

"Alright folks, we're just about ready to set out. We'll be following along an old trade road into Solaria for a while, until we get a ways south. It's too busted up from lack of maintenance to drive on, but it's a clear path to follow for now. Ironically, I think we'll find better roads the deeper we get into the Ashlands - their primary enemies are water and life, and there's not much of either in there. But that's besides the point, which is that you should all be keeping an eye out, because roads tend to get built in areas suitable for population, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were still populated, if you know what I mean."

Renaldo takes a look at the horizon, and the ever-lowering sun. "Right now we're waiting on a caravan member named Tristan Jaroo. He has supplied us with a wagon, so we'd rather like to have him with us on our way. But we don't have any of our property on it, so worst comes to worst we can go on without him. We've decided to give him an hour or so before-"

"Is that him?" calls out Avaril, pointing to a man on the other side of the square. It's a skinny young human, running at full tilt at the caravan and waving, shouting "Wait, wait!" and generally making a spectacle of himself. Behind him follows a heavily laden dwarven woman, struggling and failing to keep up with him and cursing profusely.

"I... think so, yes," says Renaldo, unamused.

"Why do you hire these people?"

"Quiet you. It's a whole wagon he's bringing."

By now Tristan has reached the caravan. He hesitates to catch his breath, before calling out "Ms. Araxides! I'm sorry. Some... things came up."

"This idiot got himself thrown out of the house!" shouts the dwarven woman, who despite her encumbrance appears to be visibly less tired than Tristan. "Disowned, even! I hope you know what you're doing, lady."

"I'm sure that's dreadful, and a riveting story, but we need to go now," says Rosalina, emerging from her wagon with a cordial smile on her face. After a quick look around, it seems to fade. "Only one person, Tristan?"

"I - well everyone technically works for my father..."

"And I'm the only one fool enough to jump ship, so it seems."

"...Great."

Due to the extensive preparations undertaken earlier, the two newcomers are situated in the rear wagon in a matter of a few minutes. Renaldo gives the signal and he, Armen and Gavin begin to lead the caravan out of the square. The city guards allow the group to pass through the gate without issue or delay.

The sun begins to set as the caravan makes its way across the countryside, following along a nearly buried brick road. The landscape south of Araxes is a flat, dry badland for the most part, broken by a few rocky outcroppings here and there. The wagons find no trouble on the hard, dry ground. Renaldo comments that it'll turn sandier as the years go on, just like the lands further south.

In the distance a few scattered settlements can be seen - some the active camps of the chiefly nomadic people who live in the desert, others dusty Solarian ghost towns. Civilization hardly ends at Araxes, though it marks the end of the cities and nations for a good long while. From here it's all untamed for hundreds of miles, with Ombos and the Caliphates the only islands in a sea of relative wilderness.

The hours tick past on the first day of the long journey, as sixteen relative strangers set out for the unknown. What are you doing?

Ajadea
2011-07-13, 01:31 AM
Anya opens her mouth as if she is about to speak when the caravans leave, but apparently decides against it. She stares back at the city as they leave, though no sentiment is evident in her expression. "You been in Abaris long?" she asks Renaldo once they are well clear of the city. Spirits, she was a foreigner, if she knew this, the locals better damn well notice.

Burnheart
2011-07-13, 06:49 AM
"Hmm" Ujarak says as the wagons leave through the gates, then turning to Tristan and the Dwarf woman he asks "Shouldn't the guards have checked our wagons when we left?"

userpay
2011-07-13, 10:40 AM
With a flick of her wrist Myra sends her raven winging into the air. Watching him go for a moment she then turns to her wagon companion. "Just so you know. It may seem like I'm zoning out a bit but I'm checking abroad for hindrances. If something happens back here and I don't respond feel free to give me a good shake."

ex cathedra
2011-07-14, 04:36 PM
"Mhmm." Nodding agreeably, Isak waits for the gruff fellow to finish. "Fine. Understood. Aside from that, we haven't been introduced. You are...?"

As the day winds down, Isak makes his way to the congregation. He to Renaldo's announcements; when Renaldo finishes, Isak finds himself unsure of exactly why he was needed here. Regardless, he returns to his assigned wagon with a sense of resignation. He stores away his equipment within arm's reach and proceeds to settle into place. Staring into the Ashlands, he whistles unenthusiastically. "So. This is it."

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-14, 07:21 PM
Anya:
Renaldo is glancing at two separate old maps as he drives, apparently comparing the two of them to each other and the few visible landmarks. You ask as he's looking up at the landscape, but it still seems like you've jolted him out of his thoughts.

"Wha?" he asks, turning to you. "Oh, sorry. I'm looking for a riverbed. Tell me if you see one, would you?"

Renaldo returns to squinting at the horizon, but doesn't seem quite as focused as before. "I've been stuck in Abaris two years now, but I've been dealing with the place for a good while longer. I used to work on trade in Ralum, and you don't do that without hearing all about the Free City. Tell you the truth, after all this time I'm almost glad to be away from it, though I suspect I'll miss all its resources out here," he adds, glancing to his small pile of books and charts.
Isak:
"Good to hear," says Hakim with a satisfied nod. "Name's Hakim. I'm with Gavin up there," he adds, pointing the the halfling managing the camels in front of the wagon you ride in.

Hakim takes a deep breath and turns back to you. "Alright. We can work this if we both do our jobs. Just make damn sure nobody gets to this wagon. I got important stuff in here."

Hakim turns out to be rather taciturn on the journey, not really saying anything of note to you beyond a few obligatory questions and commands directly pertaining to the wagon. He seems to be lost in thought, and kind of on edge.
Myra:
Doc Harlan has been humming a quiet little song to himself as he handles the wagon, a tune you recognize but can't quite place. When you speak to him, he nods. "Oh, I know how it is. For that matter, you can give me a shake if I don't hear somethin' ya say," he adds with a smile.

Doc curiously watches the raven fly off. "Now I don't mean to be pryin', miss, but that ain't no normal bird, far as I can tell. That wouldn't happen to be a... familiar, would it?"
Ujarak:
The two members of the Jaroo party have been bickering under their breaths for a while now. It sounds like it's mostly about Tristan's domestic situation, though you hear a few mentions of the caravan here and there. You ask your question in a moment of apparent silence, and the two of them look back at you as if they've just realized you were there.

Tristan gives a sort of confused frown, and the dwarven woman looks at him with eyebrows raised.

"Uh... yes, I think so, now that you mention it," says Tristan, scratching his head awkwardly. "I mean, it's always been that way with my dad."

"Damn it Tristan, what'd you get involved with?" scolds the dwarven woman. She looks to you accusingly. "What're you, smugglers or something?"

Ajadea
2011-07-14, 07:42 PM
DM

"Y'did notice t'bit back there at t'gates, din't you?" Anya says, looking around for the apparently elusive riverbed. "Wonder why t'guards didn't poke their noses in all your goods. They're s'posed to. 's their job." She glances at the map, seeing if she has any more luck with it.

[roll0]
[roll1] + whatever circumstance bonus maps give.

Burnheart
2011-07-15, 02:50 AM
"I am not" Ujarak replies slightly offended by the accusation "and i do not believe Ms. Araxides is either, she is however the daughter of Araxes and very well connected in Abaris or so i understand" he then turns and looks curiously at the dwarven woman "So why did you decide to come on this trip miss?" suddenly Ujarak looks embarrassed "Forgive me i haven't introduced myself yet i'm Ujarak" he holds out his hand.

userpay
2011-07-15, 10:45 AM
Myra tilts her head as the raven flies away, considering. "I suppose you could say he is a familiar of sorts. There is a bond there in which I can see through his eyes."

ex cathedra
2011-07-15, 09:12 PM
"Important stuff, huh? Isak raises an eyebrow and pauses before tentatively continuing. "You know, something struck me as odd; As we left the city, none of our caravans were searched. Not that you'd know anything about that, o'course."

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-16, 02:19 PM
Anya:
The map is clearly very old, a fact apparent from both its condition and its contents. The largest text is reserved for the names "Solaria" and "The Empire of Elam," and you're to understand that neither of those are around any more.

By finding Abaris and tracing one of the south-looking roads from it, it looks like the river Renaldo is looking for is a tributary of Araxes named Arpa. You can't quite figure out how to judge distances accurately, so not much luck on trying to place yourself on that map, but you do gather that you will have gone too far south if you see some kind of cylindrical rock plateau-looking thing called Kamakh's Rock.

You don't see the rock or anything you'd recognize as a riverbed. There are some small hills and rocky outcroppings, but otherwise it's all flat as far as you can see.

As you check the map, Renaldo considers what you said. After a bit of a pause, he starts talking again, with what you think is supposed to be a reassuring tone of voice. "Anya, sometimes people have to practice discretion. That Hakim seemed like he didn't want the authorities inspecting his possessions, and we decided to oblige him there. It wouldn't have been hard for Rosalina, and what price is that anyway, for two apparently shrewd people, one of which can probably fight? I rather think we need every advantage we can get out here, right?"
Isak:
"Of course I know. Let's be clear here, Isak," Hakim says grimly, "It's none of your business what we carry. Maybe Abaris wouldn't have liked it, but your boss doesn't care. You stay clear of the cargo, and we don't have any problems. And make sure everyone else keeps away too, alright?"
Myra:
Doc Harlan gives a little smile of wonder at your explanation.

"I've not heard of such magic, but it sounds wonderful. 'fraid I never was very talented with the gifts the spirits gave me. Certainly not good enough to have called a proper familiar. You're not a quarter my age and here you've already outdone me!" he says with a laugh.

By now the raven has gained a bit of altitude, and is approaching the distance you would usually have it from that caravan. The landscape is barren and primarily flat for the most part, and height doesn't give quite as big an advantage as you might have hoped. Still, it's a better view than down here on the ground, and at least it can see over most of the slight hills, shrubs, and outcroppings dotting the landscape.
Ujarak:
The dwarven lady still eyes you suspiciously, but it seems she eases up a bit after your explanation. "Ach, pardon me. I'm just not in the best mood right now, considering. I guess you can skip some formalities when they worship yer pappy." She extends her hand to shale yours. "Hilda Omdahl at yer service, Mr. Ujarak."

"What kind of name is Ujarak anyway?" asks Tristan.

"Hush you," she scolds. She turns back to you and points at him dismissively. "As you can see, Tristan here is a damn fool."

"Hey!"

"I figured there was about no chance at all he wouldn't charge off a cliff or challenge an efreeti to an arm wrestle or something and get himself killed, so I guess I wanted to keep an eye on him."

"Like I need it. I'm not stupid, Hilda," says Tristan, leaning back and crossing his arms. After a short moment he takes another look at you. "So, uh, what are you anyway?"

Ajadea
2011-07-19, 04:14 PM
DM

Anya grins crookedly. "I've done my fair share a' not-entirely-legal things. Complainin' would b' rather odd, now. An' we do need t'help." She takes another look at the map and frowns. "Sorry, I've no clues t'where we are either."

ex cathedra
2011-07-19, 06:27 PM
Isak shrugs. "Of course. Don't get me wrong, I don't especially care, either. I'll do my job, I assure you of that."

Burnheart
2011-07-20, 02:07 PM
"A pleasure to meet you Hilda and just Ujarak is fine, no need to add mr" Ujarak replies with a smile when she introduces herself. After Tristan has finished Ujarak continues "You must care for him a great deal" he nods at Tristan then looks him in the eye before adding "and as to what i am, i'm a Killoren. We are the last people created by Gaia, during the advent infact, and we now live in a great forest to the north, Selene tears."

userpay
2011-07-20, 07:30 PM
Myra nods absentmindedly as the man rambles on but shrugs. "Yet at the same time I can't cast spells as others that have familiars are able to. My... gifts lie in a different direction. At any rate the route thus far appears clear, not that there should be trouble this close to the city."

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-02, 07:19 PM
Anya:
"Well whatever you've done, Anya, I guess it doesn't matter out here. And the same goes for those two. We didn't ask, we don't judge, and we're just doing our own thing."

After a while, Renaldo takes another look at the map and sighs in frustration. "I think this map was off before the world changed. Just perfect. If we're lucky I might find a better one in Tuva, but I wouldn't count on it," he says with a dismissive wave of the hand.

Actually, "Tuva" sounds familiar to you. You're pretty sure that was Pallas's destination. Well, other than Helios's corpse, you guess. Or maybe they were the same place? Probably not, if Renaldo's going there. You've seen enough maps in Abaris to know that anything that lies between Abaris's territory and Ombos is too far north to be the center of the Ashlands.

If this is the same place, then it looks like you and Pallas were taking a somewhat different route to get there, since you don't recognize your surroundings and certainly don't remember anything about an ancient road. But a lot of this land looks alike. And now that you think about it, you guess you must not have been very far from this area when you were attacked.
Isak:
"Then I believe we've reached an understanding," says Hakim, with a nod.
Myra:
"Never heard of someone with a familiar but no magic. Guess the world's a big place though."

Doc looks out at the horizon. "Well, I'm glad to hear it's all clear. I've heard all manner of frightful legends about the Ashlands, and the longer we go before finding out if they're true, the better."

After about a half hour of travel, the landscape seems to change a bit. Ahead of the caravan's path, there's a big discoloration running across the ground in a narrow band. You can't be sure but it looks lower than its surroundings. An old river, perhaps? In the great distance, you can see some kind of cylindrical plateau... thing. Otherwise the landscape looks much as it did before.
Ujarak:
Hilda nods at your first statement and grimaces a bit at the second. Tristan rolls his eyes, but his demeanor changes entirely when you explain the killoren to him.

"Woah, really? That's awesome! So are you like, after the gods?"

"Wait... that forest in Ralum? I've heard nasty things about it. Is it really full of monsters, like they say?"

Burnheart
2011-08-03, 04:38 PM
"Well not exactly" Ujarak says slowly after Hilda finishes "Apart from my own people, who settled in the forest at the end of the Advent there are the native spirits, who have dwelt within the woods for countless ages, and the Lycanthropes who came to the forest about the same time we did" Ujarak pauses briefly to ask "You know how the forest became known as Selene's Tears? It was because of a moonfall" he continues "One of largest, people said it was Selene's Tears shed in grief over Helios death, i don't know if thats right but i do know that Selenes power flows through the forest" Ujarak says wistfully, as though dreaming of a home he couldn't return to just yet "Too many people come to our home trying to dispoil it, to take its resources and its power for their own and only a very few to appreciate it for what it is" he shrugs his shoulders slightly before adding "So most of us try to just keep everyone out and since we aren't exactly normal looking everyone just assumes we're monsters"

Ajadea
2011-08-03, 10:30 PM
DM

Anya stares off into the distance. Pallas had picked her out of the slums so that she could help with her amazing quest. If not for Pallas, she'd still be a thieving rat, with no chance to climb any higher. One year ago, she would never have saw herself here. She was here because of Pallas, and her quest. She had to finish it. She'd made a promise. Tuva sounded familiar...maybe she could find one of Pallas' friends there, give the person the news...and hope they didn't gut her.

She sighs. Better than nothing. But first, she had to get to Tuva...which meant keeping this mass of goods safe until they got that far. "I've been out this way. Bandits got t'drop on me 'n my friend. Keep your eyes peeled."
----
Taking 10 on Listen and Spot for a total of 17 each. Anya is keeping her eye out for bandits.

userpay
2011-08-03, 10:59 PM
"The spirits gifts are as plentiful as the stars, surely theres a few thats different than the others. What do you know of our route? It seems like we might be coming upon a dry river bank?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-09, 12:44 AM
Anya:
"W-what?" says Renaldo, suddenly looking out to the horizon. Nothing. Satisfied that it's all clear, he eases up a bit, but remains on lookout, paying particular attention to the few bits of cover in sight.

"Well that's interesting to hear. With all this empty land I had begun to think we were going to be lucky enough to have plotted a route through a relatively uninhabited stretch. And the roaming bands will hopefully be after the more well-traveled routes on a day like this."

"Still," he says, "thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't known that you've been out here before. What happened to you and your friend?"
Isak:
With all that said, Hakim seems to return to his task, directing the wagon to correct a bit of outward drift that seems to have developed. He mumbles something about being distracted, and as you turn towards him something peculiar catches your eye.

Right ahead of the caravan, about a good four or five hundred feet away, there's a thin strip of cloth, almost the same color as the dry ground, blowing in the wind. It's only when you see it start to rise that you realize it's part of some kind of headdress. A humanoid form begins to rise up from a depression you didn't even know was there, some kind of dip in the landscape that had been obscured by distance and heat haves and sheer monotony of color. It's a slender creature, built just like the elves from the forest, dressed in camouflaging wrappings and armed with a longbow. And not just armed, but very clearly ready. He's already got an arrow nocked.

Immediately, your instincts take over. A few quick glances around reveal that he isn't alone. Not only are there at least two more with him over there, but there's another group to right of the caravan, hiding behind an outcropping of rocks and bushes. These are even much closer, at about 150 feet. You see two spears sticking out, but no bows, at least for now.

Of your fellow travelers, you can see Hakim, Gavin, Rosalina, and Ivan, and none of them seem to have noticed anything amiss.
Myra:
Doc Harlan nods in agreement on the multiplicity of spirit magics. You get the feeling he's seen enough to stop being surprised by new ones. When you bring up the route, he leans back a bit and thinks for a moment.

"Well, I overheard a few things here and there while I was working on the animals. Sounds like we're headed to a small settlement first, before settin' out into the unknown places. Now what was it called..?" he wonders, stroking his beard. "Toma, or something like that," he says with a slight shrug. "I'm afraid I only heard it once, and my ears aren't what they used to be. Beyond that, I don't know much. Maybe my great great grandfather could have told ya about that river, but I myself never learned much about Solaria."
Ujarak:
"Oh!" says Tristan, nodding enthusiastically, "So you're all just misunderstood, right? You're doing your own thing with what belongs to you, and these guys think they know better. Well I can sympathize with that. Shine on in your magic forest, that's what I say. And the hell with Apollo or whoever wants to take it from you."

"Cuthbert," Hilda corrects, "Don't you even know where Ralum is?" After a moment of thought, she turns to you again. "So it's true, what I've been told about were-men and the power of the old moon? To think such places of power are still around. It must be hard, living there and having to deal with Dunbar. They'd not stand for that sort of thing in their 'territory,' or so I'd think."

Ajadea
2011-08-09, 11:52 PM
DM

"Two a' us, a fat load a' bandits. Figure it out. S'not that hard." Anya wasn't about to elaborate. Pallas' death still hurt. Talking about it with a gnome just a few hours short of being a complete stranger wouldn't help.

Burnheart
2011-08-10, 09:22 AM
"You're correct, they don't" Ujarak says firmly with a steely glint and a flash of sliver in his eyes after Hilda mentions Dunbar "In fact Dunbar soldiers trying to enter the forest is something none of us who live there will tolerate"

userpay
2011-08-10, 09:49 AM
Myra thinks for a moment as to whether the name sounds familiar.
History [roll0]

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-10, 01:57 PM
Myra:
Toma? You don't think you've ever heard of it. You're not quite sure if it's because it's just that obscure, or if Doc Harlan is misremembering the name as gibberish.

ex cathedra
2011-08-11, 01:45 PM
Isak curses under his breath, turning to Hakim. "We're not alone here." He subtly gestures to the two distant groups while he continues. "Two groups, at least half a dozen, likely more, armed. Wait here and prepare yourself, just don't do anything stupid."

With that, Isak grabs his sling, leaps over Hakim's side of the wagon and heads for Rosalina. He finds a foothold on the right side of the wagon and hops on. He looks to Rosalina, just past Ivan, and grimaces. "I've got some bad news."

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-12, 09:33 PM
Anya:
"Oh," says Renaldo, a bit awkwardly. "Well... I'm sorry to hear that." At this point, you see something alarming. An arrow, rising in the distance, straight ahead. Two. No - four of them, all headed straight for the caravan. "You have my-" Renaldo sees them, and immediately begins to scramble.

But he's not fast enough. One of them hits him in the shoulder, knocking him on his back with a breathless "AUGH." It's black - shaft, feathers and all, and as long as he is tall. Another comes through the canvass ceiling of the wagon, planting itself in a wooden crate in the back. Sounds of sudden chaos and shouts of alarm break out around you, but Ivan's bellowing shout of "RAIDEEEEERRRRS!" dwarfs the rest.

Renaldo writhes on the floor of the wagon, grasping at the arrow and shooting you a look of terror. Do something, it says.

You can make out the attackers straight ahead of you, at a distance of over four hundred feet. You see three of them, slender figures wrapped in shrouds that match the color of the landscape, all armed with long bows. They seem to be standing in a depression of sorts, taking cover behind a downward slope. You think you may have found that riverbed.

You're not positive that these are the same people that attacked you before. They resemble them, that's for damn sure, but it was men with spears that attacked Pallas. But those clothes do look awfully similar.
Isak:
Hakim doesn't take long to spot the groups. Squinting into the distance, he seems more angry than anything. As you leave him for the center of the caravan you hear him muttering something about "Day goddamned one..."

As you pause to place your foot on the wagon, you are rudely interrupted by a 3-foot long black arrow crashing into your right dastana. The trusty bit of armor deflects it, and the arrow breaks up, the head and shaft tumbling separately into the dirt. Rosalina recoils in shock as Ivan assumes a look you can only describe as "murder."

As several other arrows come down on the caravan, people begin to react with various shouts of alarm. Ivan drowns them all out with a bellowing cry of "RAIDEEEEERRRRS!"
Myra:
You are shaken out of your thoughts by a heavy wooden THUNK. It appears that an arrow has planted itself into your seat, right between you and Doc Harlan. It's three feet long, and made of some kind of black wood. Doc lets out a sort of resigned "Oh, my" as a few other arrows come down on the caravan.

Chaos erupts around the wagons. You see Isak run to Rosalina's wagon and take an arrow to the arm along the way. Looks like it got blocked by that weird bracer of his though. Ivan stands up and shouts "RAIDEEEEERRRRS!" at the top of his lungs.

Through the bird's eyes you can now see the archers. There are four of them, closely bunched together. They're taking cover behind the slope of the bank of the riverbed, four or five hundred feet straight ahead of the caravan, and are wearing camouflaging cloaks, to which you attribute the fact that they evaded your bird's eyes earlier.
Ujarak:
Hilda nods. "Well good luck to your people in dealing with them. Old Cuthbert is one of the most stubborn of the lot, so I hear."

At this point you hear something of a commotion. A few startled snorts of camels, a muffled cry of pain from ahead - you think it sounded like Renaldo. Ivan's bellowing voice cuts through the air, a great shout of "RAIDEEEEERRRRS!"

Tristan glances back forward and immediately jumps back a little. "Oh crap, arrows!" Hilda grabs him and tries to pull him into the back of the wagon.

"Get out there!" she yells at you.
By now you are all aware that there is an issue. There is a moment of complete chaos as everyone in the caravan tries to figure out what, exactly, is going on. The animals are spooked by the sudden uproar, but they seem under control for the time being.

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-12, 09:48 PM
Gavin immediately releases his hold on the right lead camel and darts over to the right wagon for cover.

Cerwyn is the first guard to respond, firing his crossbow off into the distance at the archers. Flying against the wind, it goes wide by several dozen yards.

Burnheart
2011-08-13, 06:19 AM
Ujarak jumps down from the wagon and moves up behind Cerwyn while calling out a question "Cover or Charge?"

Move to R-15

userpay
2011-08-13, 10:04 AM
"They're camouflaged, that way." Myra points in the proper direction in case the others are having trouble seeing the archers before ducking down. A moment later she disappears entirely though Doc can still hear her sifting around in her seat. Settling down to concentrate once more on the raven.
Malphas's ability, turning invisible as a standard action for two turns. Then move for spot check via Raven for additional enemies.
[roll0]

Ajadea
2011-08-13, 11:09 AM
Anya vaults off her seat, grabbing her already strung bow with one hand. "Archers t'the South!" she yells, dashing straight past the cover of the camels. Arrow in the hand, nocked, ready, but not shot. No point in shooting at something quite that far away.

Anya moves to R(-1) [off the map 2 squares], Ready Action to shoot the first bandit within 360 feet.

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-13, 01:20 PM
As Cerwyn moves to begin reloading his crossbow he calls back to Ujarak. "Cover for now, I say!"

Myra:
Near as you can tell through the bird's eyes, there really are only four archers. However, as it swoops around again you see no fewer than six other raiders armed with spears emerging from hiding near a rocky outcropping to the west. It seems they were using a similar means of camouflage. They're about 150 feet away and seem poised for a charge on the caravan.

OOC:
The spear guys are on the right of the map, since that's west.

Since Myra doesn't have to so much as blink to do anything she's done so far in this round, I'll let you get a few extra words in if you want.

userpay
2011-08-13, 05:35 PM
Seemingly from nowhere Myra's voice rings out. "Ware! More to the west!"

ex cathedra
2011-08-15, 07:38 AM
Isak scowls as the arrow strikes. "Lucky scum." Turning to Rose, Isak speaks. "Have someone handle the noncombatants." With that, he moves to the side of Hakim's wagon and peeks towards the west, in search of the raiders.

Isak moves to T-14.

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-15, 09:10 PM
Rosalina shouts orders above the hubbub: "Stop! Rein in and take cover! Defend, Defend!" she yells, ushering the rear guards forward.

Avaril and Desmond take position and join Cerwyn in firing back at the archers. They throw momentary glances westward now and then, wary of the others Myra warned them about. It doesn't look like either of the bolts hit, but Avaril's shot was close enough to inspire a panicked dive.

Bringing his camels to a halt, Hakim yells out another warning. "We got spear guys on the right!" he shouts. He jumps off his wagon and takes cover next to Gavin.

"FIENDS!" cries Armen, "You dare!?" Armen holds out his hand and closes it on a turbulent flash of blue. In an instant, it resolves into some kind of giant golden mace. He charges full tilt at the distant archers, holding his shield out in front of him.

"No, you fool! You'll be killed!" Renaldo has dragged himself out of the back of the front wagon. He's been hit, the arrow piercing through his shoulder entirely. He moves with some difficulty as he makes his way towards the middle of the caravan, and seems out of breath.

At this point, the raiders to the west finally make their move. They emerge from the scattered rocks and outcroppings to the caravan's right - a group of at least five of them, wrapped in desert-colored robes and armed with several spears each. They rush at the caravan in a loose V formation. Anya has a clear shot to the apparent leader of the charge.

Almost in unison, the archers launch the next volley of arrows. Avaril takes one to the hip, vengeance for that close call he gave them. He is almost brought to a kneel, but seems intent to continue loading. As the arrows rain down, Doc Harland scrambles for the safety of Rosalina's wagon, narrowly avoiding one that lands squarely on his seat. He reaches the side of the wagon quickly, but hesitates to enter upon seeing Renaldo. After a moment, he jumps back off and runs to him instead.

"Make a line, men! Don't let the bastards in!" Ivan springs off the wagon and rushes out to the right flank.

Gavin shares a look with Hakim, and pulls out a small crossbow. He crawls under the right wagon.

Cerwyn gasps in shock when Avaril is hit, but eventually turns his newly reloaded crossbow on the charging spearmen. It catches one of them in the arm, but he continues to press on despite the wound.

Anya:
Looking at these spearmen now, you're almost positive that these are the same people. Or at least they're of the same people.

OOC:
When you get your shot on the leader of the charge, he is 180 feet away. I'm noting this because it's not where he's placed on the map (that's where he ends his move). If you're shooting him, apply the appropriate penalties for 180 feet.
DM only:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Ajadea
2011-08-16, 12:28 PM
Anya whips around at Myra's cry and looses her arrow at the leader, string snapping against her wristguards. Distance made aiming difficult, but far from impossible.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Burnheart
2011-08-16, 12:47 PM
Responding to Ivan's call Ujarak races to stand beside him "Think Armen will make it?" he says as he reaches Ivan.

Move to W-10

ex cathedra
2011-08-19, 07:19 AM
Isak moves slightly towards the spearmen and prepares to meet their charge.

Move to V-15.

userpay
2011-08-19, 02:23 PM
Still invisible for the moment Myra scrambles her way out of the wagon. She moves towards the oncoming spearmen drawing her morningstar as she does so. Perhaps unseen overhead the raven wheels towards the spearmen as well.
The invisibility should last till the beginning of my next turn, as I'm not entirely sure how close the spearmen are right now I'll just say I'm trying to get as close as I can to them so I can attack next turn. Also for controlling my bird it doesn't give any specific sort of action to control it so I'm assuming I can use it to attack in addition to my normal actions. As such I'm moving him into position to beable to dive and harass the spearmen next turn.

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-23, 04:22 PM
Ivan doesn't take his eyes off the advancing spearmen as he answers Ujarak. "Not a chance."

Hakim carefully proceeds to the rear of the right wagon and quickly produces a crossbow from the back. He takes cover and loads it, muttering the whole time. "Had to be my side, huh?"

Avaril does his best to limp for cover as he reloads his crossbow. He and Desmond now seem more concerned with the immediate threat of the spearmen, taking aim at some of the closer foes.

Armen continues his charge, screaming at the archers as he runs at them. "Cowaaards! Face me like men!"

Ajadea
2011-08-25, 06:48 PM
(So sorry, net must have ate my post)

Anya curses as her arrow goes wide, but already her fingers are closed around a second one. She dashes closer, covering all the ground she can in only a few seconds and skidding to a stop on the far side of the wagon. She nocks and shoots the arrow with honed precision, aided by the fact there is far less distance between her and those spearmen.

She wondered if she'd have time to make one of them scream afterwards. She didn't remember the face of the one that had killed Pallas. Pity really. Vengeance would have been nice. Her friend deserved that much.

If you go to Anya's sheet, you'll see her alignment is Neutral Evil. Just pointing that out...

[roll0] - Range penalties
[roll1]

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-25, 09:10 PM
Anya's second arrow sails over the head of the lead spearman. He ducks reflexively, though it flies several feet above him. He screams some incoherent battle cry as he runs recklessly to close the distance to the caravan, outstripping his comrades and throwing the first spear - aimed directly at Ivan's chest. His breastplate resounds with a loud clang at the blow, but deflects the missile, which clatters to the ground.

More arrows rain down on the caravan. It seems they are targeting guards at this point, as Cerwyn, Avaril, and Anya each have arrows land remarkably close to them. One comes so close as to actually graze Anya's backpack.

Amid the volley, Doc Harland kneels next to Renaldo and begins a short chant as he breaks and removes the arrow-shaft from his shoulder. A golden light wells up between his hands, and as he holds it over the wound, it begins to seal. Renaldo grabs Doc and pulls himself up with his assistance. The two seem poised to make a break for the central caravan, but hesitate to move while the volley persists.

The other spearmen follow suit with their leader, joining in on the battle-cry and hurling their weapons about as soon as they see him do the same. Their spears are thinner and lighter than those of the leader, soaring higher in the air in lazy arcs. But they come down with impressive force. The two following directly behind the leader throw their weapons with his, and both javelins land solid blows, piercing the half-giant's thick armor and sinking several inches further. Ivan exhales loudly and grits his teeth, but does not falter.

Two more aim at Isak, throwing their spears mid-run. He is easily able to dodge the first, but the second hits his chest obliquely. His shirt of mail deflects what could easily have been a fatal blow, but the sheer force of the hit leaves him somewhat worse for wear.

In response to the unwelcome arrows, the spearman running on the right flank casts his javelin at Anya, a lower and faster shot than the others. She moves to duck out of the way, but is not quite fast enough. However, the point collides with one of the many metal studs in her armor, and the blow is narrowly deflected.

Ivan rips the javelins out of his body, screaming taunts at the enemy. "THROWIN DARTS ARE WE? 'FRAID TA BREAK A NAIL?" He seems to pause for a moment, as the raiders continue their advance, drawing new javelins as they run. Suddenly, Ivan stands up straight and screams as he grows to roughly twice his original height.

"WELL I AINT AFRAID TA BREAK YOU!" he roars, as he runs to meet them. Your attackers seem slightly more apprehensive.

Gavin fires his crossbow from under the wagon, lying prone and aiming for the legs of the charging spearmen. Unfortunately, it sails between the feet of his target. Gavin curses as he reloads his weapon.

Cerwyn runs south to secure a cleaner shot at the raiders. Upon catching sight of Ivan he merely exclaims "Holy crap!" before turning back to fire on the attackers. He hits his previous target - the man who just attacked Isak - once more, this time in the left arm. The bandit grunts at the blow, and seems to noticeably slow his advance.

OOC:
2 damage to Isak. S6 is the now pretty bloody culprit of the attack. S1 is the leader of the charge.
DM Only:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]

userpay
2011-08-26, 12:56 AM
It is next to Isak that Myra fades back into view, even as she moves closer to the incoming spearmen. As she move Myra raises her buckler and morningstar into a defensive position, ready to receive an attack.
Moving to AA16 and initiating Total Defense.

Burnheart
2011-08-27, 02:55 AM
Ujarak silently follows Ivan and stands beside him to guard his flank.
Move to AB-9

Ajadea
2011-08-28, 05:36 PM
Anya dashes diagonally towards Ujarak and the now even more massive Ivan, dodging javelins all the way. One grazes her backpack and she glances back momentarily to make sure nothing spills out. Which was stupid, because in that moment of inattention, a javelin nearly gutted her. She mutters a curse and keeps going, pausing to loose another arrow at the leader. That one better not miss.

[roll0]
[roll1]

ex cathedra
2011-08-30, 09:14 PM
Isak grunts audibly as the javelin connects. "That wasn't nearly good enough," he seethes. With a quick dash he falls into formation at Ivan's right flank. Gripping his greatsword reassuringly, Isak prepares for melee.

Isak moves to AA12 and assumes total defense.

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-01, 04:05 PM
Hakim pops out from the cover of the right wagon and fires his crossbow at the wounded spearman that attacked Isak. The bolt catches him in the neck, and he falls limp to the ground. "Ha! Nice one!" calls out Gavin from under the wagon, but Hakim simply begins to reload in grim silence.

Ducking slightly and running between the camels for cover, Avaril advances on the raiders and fires at the spearman who caught Anya's backpack. The shot misses by a hair's breadth, and the bolt sails into the distance.

Desmond takes aim at the northernmost spearman, but hesitates when Hakim jumps into his line of fire. He tries to shoot his target between Myra and Hakim, but the hasty corrections cause the bolt to go wide by several feet.

"Out of the way, damn it!" he shouts, "Are you even a guard?"

Armen continues to charge at the archers, though he seems to have stopped screaming. He's more than halfway there now.

The leader of the spearmen pauses for a moment as Ivan grows and taunts him. His men seem to back off a bit, watching him for his orders in this new situation. Anya fires her bow during this moment of hesitation, and the arrow pierces his unarmored right shoulder. Screaming an even louder warcry, he rips the missile out of his flesh and charges Ivan, renewing the attack on the caravan.

"Yeah right!" shouts Ivan, as he swings his gargantuan polearm at the charging foe. He catches the spearman's ankle with a protruding hook, pulling his left leg out from under him and sending him tumbling onto his back. He almost immediately begins to scramble back up, attempting to prop himself up with his spear.

At this point, the distant archers release yet another volley of arrows. They seem to be ignoring Armen for the time being, focusing instead on the "easy" target presented by the enlarged Ivan. However, the entire volley misses, the arrows landing almost in a circle around Ivan, Ujarak, and Isak.

Taking advantage of the opening in the rain of arrows, Doc Harland and Renaldo make a break for Rosalina's wagon, the two of them disappearing into its shelter before the archers can ready another volley.

The enemy spearmen rush to the aid of their leader, running closer and casting their javelins at Ivan. All three clang ineffectively off of the half-giant's thickened breastplate, landing on the ground at his feet.

Seeing these failed attacks, the northernmost spearman hurls his weapon at Myra instead, perhaps hoping that the small woman would be easier pickings. Focused on defending herself, Myra raises her buckler to intercept the missile, but though it deflects off the shield, it still grazes her in its new trajectory.

Ivan raises his guisarme high above his head, bringing it down and skewering the leader of the charge. It seems to be a critical wound, the man losing consciousness in a matter of seconds. Ivan looks up at the rest of the raiders, bellowing "WHO'S NEXT!?"

Gavin fires upon the spearman who just wounded Myra, the bolt sailing inches above his head. Already rather shaken, he immediately jumps back, incidentally dodging another bolt fired by Cerwyn, who curses under his breath at the turn of events.

OOC:
4 damage to Myra.
DM Only:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]
[roll28]
[roll29]
[roll30]
[roll31]
[roll32]
[roll33]
[roll34]
[roll35]
[roll36]

Burnheart
2011-09-05, 06:56 PM
After Ivan finishes his mighty swing Ujarak advances on the enemy "Good hit" he calls out with a smile as he moves passed Ivan.

Move to AG-10, Enter Punishing Stance, use Sapphire Nightmare Blade on S3 (Guy in AG-11)

Concentration check [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Sapphire Nightmare Blade Damage [roll3]

ex cathedra
2011-09-07, 04:31 PM
Enraged, Isak dashes to the enemy nearest to Myra, his weapon bared. Isak assaults the spearman, viciously striking with his sword and tail.

Isak enters rage and charges at S2, using Pounce, ending turn in AG15.
Rage duration: 7 rounds.

Attacks: Greatsword (+2 AB Charge, +2 AB Rage, +3 Damage Rage), Dragon Tail (-5 AB secondary, +2 AB charge, +2 AB rage, 1/2 Strength secondary, +1 damage Rage).

Greatsword: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Tail: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

userpay
2011-09-07, 10:40 PM
Myra can't help but give her now numb hand a shake, despite the stinging that accompanied the movement from elsewhere. Not wanting to have to deal with that again she follows Isak in charging the spearman with her morningstar held high.
Chargin.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-10, 12:54 PM
As Isak charges him, the northernmost spearman takes a few panicked steps backwards and scrambles to ready his spear. Too slow. Isak cuts him down with a single ferocious slash to the torso, and he collapses to the ground, grasping at the vicious wound for a few moments before losing consciousness.

The spearman who charged right behind the leader freezes in shock as he sees Ivan take him down. Ujarak takes advantage of this opening to launch a devastating lunge from the man's flank, but it comes just a moment too late. Stumbling back in fear of Ivan, the spearman doges the strike almost by accident, and the blade misses by a mere inch, slicing a long tear into his camouflaging wrappings.

The spearman reacts with surprise and turns to face Ujarak, placing both hands on his spear. He is almost oblivious to Myra's charge, and he is only able to react at the last second, too late to avoid her strike. He lets out a loud grunt as Myra cracks him right in the upper back.

Reloading, Hakim moves to keep the corner of the wagon between himself and the enemy, and shoots at one of the more distant spearmen, firing from cover. Not wanting the hit the wagon himself, he over-corrects the shot, and it flies too far in the opposite direction, missing the enemy. He curses under his breath as he begins to reload again.

Avaril ducks down between the camels and reloads his crossbow. Having seen more than one spearman go down, he seems more concerned with the archers now.

Desmond advances towards the remaining spearmen, hiding behind the camel pulling the right wagon and reloading.

Armen continues his charge. At this rate, it looks like he'll reach the archers in about ten seconds.

DM Only:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Ajadea
2011-09-10, 11:23 PM
Anya continues her diagonal movement, holding her bow now in only one hand and drawing her snake-hilted rapier with the other. She pauses in her movement just long enough to stab the downed man once more. A deeply personal form of brutality. "Flank 'round these bastards for me?" she asks, her voice poison-sweet. She does not lift her gaze from the likely dead man.

Flanking!

[roll0] (+2 flanking taken into account)
[roll1] (Both normal and sneak attack)

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-13, 05:23 PM
As Anya pulls her blade from the downed spearman, he lets out a gurgling cough. Looks like he's still alive after all. At this distance, it's clear that all these people are elves - their flowing robes and headdresses having concealed their racial identity to any more distant observer.

The archers launch another volley at the clustered guards, attempting to back up the spearmen. One arrow scrapes Ivan's left arm as it comes down, leaving a small gash. He grunts, but does not seem particularly worried. Another hits Anya's back obliquely, but clacks off, foiled by her armor. The rest plant themselves several feet from their targets.

Cowed by the defeat of their leader and dreading the prospect of fighting three-against-five against superior forces, the spearmen break off their attack and turn to flee. The two more distant ones simply bolt back in the direction they came, not even turning to look back at the caravan. Fleeing west, they're able to put some of the rocks between themselves and the wagons. The one caught in melee with Myra and Ujarak backs off carefully before turning and running after his comrades, but they're well ahead of him by now. Unlike his friends, he throws a number of terrified glances back at you.

"Yeah! Ya better run, ya pansies!" calls out Ivan. Suddenly, he begins to shrink down again, back to his original height. He grimaces as he realizes this, but quickly turns back to business. He drops his polearm to the ground, and draws an impressively large bow. "Youse guys keep 'em off," he shouts, waving his arm vaguely at Myra, Ujarak, and Isak, "we gotta stop these arrows over here."

"Ah, no you don't..." says Gavin as he aims for the nearest fleeing spearman. He fires a shot low, at the man's legs, but the bolt flies between them, breaking against a rock in the distance.

Cerwyn runs south a bit, turning his attention away from the fleeing spearmen and back to the archers. Looking to Desmond, he shouts "Get them running too!" He then fires at the distant archers, his bolt striking one in the chest. "Ha! Take that, then!"

DM Only:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3] on Ivan
[roll4]
[roll5] on Ivan
[roll6]
[roll7] on Ujarak
[roll8]
[roll9] on Anya
[roll10]
[roll11] on Anya
[roll12]
[roll13] on S3
[roll14]
[roll15] on A3
[roll16]

Burnheart
2011-09-15, 03:22 PM
Unwilling to let an enemy escape Ujarak charges after him "I'll get him" he yells before unleashing a savage blow when he reaches the elf.

Move to AR-11
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
AC: 14 until my next turn.

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-15, 03:39 PM
The elf spearman crumples hard to the ground, clearly in pretty bad shape. A pool of blood forms from the stab wound, spreading from under his supine form.

Ajadea
2011-09-19, 08:34 PM
Anya drops her rapier and fires one last arrow at the fleeing spearmen. She draws another arrow and then, shaking her head, puts it back. She'd not be able to hit them from so far away. She kicks the elf under her feet and he gurgles blood again. Frowning, she picks up her rapier, carefully takes aim, and stabs the elf in the heart. Sloppy work. She couldn't afford sloppy work. After careful consideration, she stabs him in the belly as well and moves on to the next downed spearman.

She mashes the face of the downed bandit with her boot, kicks him in the teeth. Breaking its nose brings only a hollow satisfaction to her. She picks one of his incisors out of the dirt. Unless anyone stops her, she'll run that one through as well. Heart. Gut. No one survived two strikes like that. And the next, and the next, though she will not collect more teeth.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-19, 10:56 PM
Anya's arrow finds its mark in the fleeing spearman's lower back. He nearly trips, but regains his balance and continues running. Hakim fires on the spearmen as well, but fails to hit either of them as they run off into the distance.

Armen continues his mad charge on the archers. It seems that he's finally too close for comfort, as one of the archers gives a quick command to the others, and the whole group immediately begins to focus fire on him. Armen hides his face behind his shield, but continues to run as they release the volley. At this short range, each of the black arrows is able to hit him, but every one of them fails against his armor. The archers share a look, and begin to back up, but Armen is still running.

Meanwhile, Avaril, Cerwyn, Desmond, and Ivan all begin to fire on the archers in a concerted effort to drive them off. None of the shots connect, but the extra pressure causes a visible panic in the group. At the urging of their leader, the archers fire one more volley at Armen at point-blank range - another apparent failure, as he hardly slows down at all. At this point, he's less than a dozen yards from them, and they bolt to the southwest. It looks like the spearmen are turning for the same direction, now that they've put some distance between themselves and the caravan.

Burnheart
2011-09-20, 01:44 PM
Realizing that he can no longer effect the outcome of the battle, Ujarak begins tending to the bandit he just took down hopeing to stop his bleeding.

Heal check 1 [roll0]
Heal check 2 [roll1]
Heal check 3 [roll2]
Ok so ignore the last 2 checks the first one stabilizse him.

ex cathedra
2011-09-21, 02:29 PM
Isak watches the fleeing enemies with mild frustration. "That's it? Really?" He crouches beside the dying raider. "Looks like they're leaving you here. Sorry about that." Noticing Ujarak's efforts, he continues, "Oh. Looks like you're not the only one they left. That's actually not great for you, I'm afraid." Standing, Isak delivers a swift kick to the spearman's side and begins walking towards Ujarak.

userpay
2011-09-22, 12:19 AM
Myra seems fretful, following after Anya. "Theres no point in butchering them. What if they're part of a larger group? We might beable to barter with them." As if to accent her point the raven swoops from the sky to ruffle Anya's hair in a flyby.

Ajadea
2011-09-22, 10:57 AM
Anya's blade hovers a fraction of an inch above the heart of the second bandit. "T'boss is savin' some of 'em already. Don't see why I can't have a bit of fun with t'others." She remembers the spear wound, large and ugly. Idly, she draws an X in the bandit's flesh, the lines crossing in the place where Pallas had been stabbed.

Burnheart
2011-09-22, 02:38 PM
Looking up from staunching S6's wounds Ujarak calls out to Anya "Anya what are you doing?" there is a hint of reproach in his voice as he asks that then turning to the others he calls "Help me move these two to the wagons"

Ajadea
2011-09-22, 03:00 PM
Anya shrugs. "Killin' a leaf-eared bandit," she says casually, barely looking as she carefully shoves her sword into the aforementioned bandit's heart. She wipes the blood off on his robes and sheathes the blade, then heads over to help Ujarak. "Helping, now. 'm not that good at t'heavy liftin', mind you."

[roll0] (1d6 rapier, 1d6 sneak attack, 1k coup de grace)

Burnheart
2011-09-27, 07:31 PM
Realizing what Anya has done to the other wounded bandits Ujarak says "Anya why did you just kill those men? They were defeated they didn't need to die"

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-27, 08:29 PM
Seeing the archers turning tail, Ivan lowers his bow and immediately turns and makes for the central wagon. "Yo!" he shouts as he approaches, his free hand cupped next to his mouth, "We sent the bastards runnin'. Piece a' cake. Everyone alright in there? Renaldo? Rose? ...Old guy?"

Gavin emerges from under the right wagon. His entire front side is covered in the coarse, dry dirt that characterizes the badlands south of Araxes. He looks down in disgust and immediately starts to dust himself off.

"Pfft. What a waste of my time. And this was such a nice shirt..."

Hakim pays him no mind, instead coming directly over to you. "What the hell is this?" he asks, gesturing to the two spearmen Ujarak has stabilized. "Prisoners?"

Ajadea
2011-09-27, 08:50 PM
Anya pauses, looking up in to Ujarak's eyes from her kneeling position next to the spearman he had just stabilized. "Waste of food and time, cartin' all of 'em round with us," she says. She could have been talking about the weather with that casual tone. "I guess they might not have needed t'die," she concedes. "But they din't need t'live that bad either."

Burnheart
2011-09-28, 07:58 AM
"Yes, i was hoping they might be able to tell us where the rest of them ran off to"" Ujarak replies to Hakims question before tunring to face Anya "You could have let the desert finish them off" he says gently "You didn't have to kill them yourself"

Ajadea
2011-09-28, 10:42 AM
"Lettin' them die of no water? An' how's that any better?One, I don't get t'see t'bastard dead, so I don't know if he's really dead or if someun came back an' saved his worthless life. Two, I'd think it'd hurt less in the long run, gettin' stabbed. Three, runnin' away doesn't change t'fact that leafy's gonna be dead. If I'm gonna kill a guy, I'm gonna do it with my own weapons, thank y'very much."

Claudius Maximus
2011-09-30, 05:20 PM
Hakim gives a curt nod in agreement. "Yeah, if you're killing a guy, it doesn't matter how you do it. No use denying it. Anyhow," he says, nudging the elf with his boot, "I don't see why we should bother keeping this scum around. What would we learn, anyway? I don't care where they live, since I don't intend to pay them a visit. And ransom's probably out, since I doubt the others would come back for them. They're probably terrified of us after that ass-kicking we gave them. Never bet against elves being cowards."

"But whatever," he adds, shrugging dismissively. Keep them if you want. It ain't my caravan."

Burnheart
2011-10-01, 05:53 AM
"These bandits are a problem for all the merchants seeking to travel the Ashlands around Abraxis" Ujarak replies "They could hire someone to deal with the bandits if they know where they hide"

Ajadea
2011-10-01, 12:40 PM
"Fine, fine," Anya says with exasperation. "Just keep in mind we've got no way t'get information back t'Abaris. Can we please hurry up an' get goin'?"

ex cathedra
2011-10-01, 02:24 PM
"I suppose," shrugs Isak as he walks towards the group. "But that doesn't have much to do with our current responsibilities. It's not like it's up to any of us, regardless. Just ask Rosalina."

"Honestly, we're lucky that they botched their attack so thoroughly. If they'd been any better at this we could have sustained some real damage." He sighs, and continues under his breath. "We were hardly prepared."

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-01, 05:49 PM
In the distance, Armen starts backing up toward the caravan. Cautiously, and with his shield ready, lest the archers change their minds about running off. But that seems unlikely now, as they are quickly becoming mere specks on the horizon.

Almost as soon as Isak finishes speaking, Ivan's voice rings out from the caravan again. "Heyo! Everyone round up, we gotta talk about this."

Ivan is sitting on the corner of the center wagon, perched sideways on his seat. He's removed his breastplate, revealing a bloody undershirt with a few more holes than normal. Looks like he's more injured than he's been letting on. Doc Harland is crouched on the ground at his feet, rustling through a large bag. Rosalina is off the wagon too, walking about slowly and surveying the damage, one hand held up to shield her eyes from the sun.

The others respond relatively promptly to Ivan's call. Avaril limps up with a little help from Desmond, nursing his hip wound as he appraches the wagon. Cerwyn leads Hilda and Tristan out of the rear wagon. The two of them look a bit shaken up, and Tristan's eyes go wide when he sees the bodies of the fallen spearmen. Gavin waves Hakim over. The orc takes one more look at the spearman. "Well, I'm going then. If you're done patching these guys up, you can ask Araxides what to do with them." And with that, he turns for the caravan.

Ajadea
2011-10-01, 10:24 PM
"So, where d'you want t'put these elves?" Anya asks Ujarak. "Should I tie 'em up for ya?" She swings her backpack over her shoulder, opening it as soon as it hits the ground. She pulls out a length of faded orangish silk, braided into a rope. "It's good stuff, won't break. Trust me on that."

Burnheart
2011-10-02, 05:44 AM
"No need just yet, first lets see what Rosalina whats to do with them" Ujarak replies .

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-05, 11:40 PM
By the time you reach the middle of the caravan, the fleeing elves have all but disappeared. Everyone is starting to fall into place in a rough circle around Ivan, with a little bit of chatter here and there. Renaldo can be seen sitting sideways in the driver's seat of the center wagon, having carefully positioned himself so as to avoid hurting his shoulder. The wound doesn't seem to be bleeding any more, but it is visibly still painful for him. He breathes a sigh of relief when he can see that everyone is still present.

By now Doc Harlan has produced a diverse set of medical tools and dressings from his bag, and has begun to inspect and clean Ivan's wounds. Avaril gestures to his hip and begins to speak, but Doc cuts him off. "I'll see to everybody in good time, soon as I have the chance. Just you wait now, unless you really think it's more urgent."

Nobody says anything for a few seconds, so Ivan takes the initiative, clearing his throat loudly to command attention before he speaks.

"Okay. Everyone's alive. That's good," he says, nodding sagely.

"That was insane!" shouts Tristan, glancing uncomfortably back at the fallen spearmen. "Who the hell were those guys?"

"Who knows?" says Gavin, raising his hands in a big shrug. "Bandits. They're all over the place out here. People can't scrape things together, start taking what they can from everyone else, y'know?"

"Well we can thank the holy stars they were so bad at banditing," Hilda says with a solemn nod. "It's a right miracle none of the camels got hit. Could you imagine the chaos if they spooked?"

Renaldo responds, speaking up from atop the wagon. "Well, it's likely they weren't aiming for them. Animals like that are worth a lot to such bandits. As food, at the very least, but probably much more."

Cerwyn smirks. "Did you see how they were shooting? They were missing us by dozens of feet back there. And we were stationary targets, even. Put me down for 'miracle.'"

"Yeah they were pretty much the worst." says Desmond, nodding in agreement. "We killed four of them, drove off the rest, and didn't lose any of our own."

"Two," Hakim corrects. "This guy saw fit to save the other two," he adds, pointing to Ujarak. "Don't know what we'd do with them, but yeah, looks like we got prisoners now."

"Oh. Well then." Rosalina comes forward into the group, having apparently completed her survey of the damage. She throws an inscrutable glance at the fallen spearmen. "What are we going to do with them?"

Hakim speaks up pretty quickly. "I said it before: I don't think they're worth anything as hostages. If that attack was all they could muster, then they probably don't have anything we could give a remote damn about. Not worth taking the risk of meeting them in parlay, not when they're proven ambushers too. Either that, or they're scared and stay away from us forever, and we just have to lug these guys around for nothing."

"You're assuming a lot right there," Renaldo says skeptically. Hakim shrugs dismissively.

"Well if these guys are bandits, we might be able to turn them in or something, right? Go to Abaris and drop all these bodies off, and maybe they'll pay us for the help."

"Not likely," Renaldo responds, shaking his head slightly. "I've never heard of these bandits, and that isn't good news. It means they haven't been outlawed. Either they've never attacked a caravan from Abaris, or they've never left any survivors. The council won't pay us a copper if they're not outlaws, and if we went to them now, they'd have no incentive to pay us for work already done. They might put a bounty on the rest and then start paying, but I'd like to remind you that we are a merchant caravan, not a company of mercenaries."

"We're not going back, so none of that matters," says Rosalina, in the sort of matter-of-fact tone that suggests she considers the matter settled. "What about Tuva? These bandits must be vexing them too, no?"

"I have no idea. Reliable information on Tuva is hard enough to find. In any case it's barely a real city, and it lacks a real government. Apparently it's little more than a seasonal gathering of tribes. They may reward us for this, but..." Renaldo seems to hesitate a moment here. "Well I hate to say it, but for all we know these elves are allies or members or what have you. This could actually be pretty bad for us."

Ajadea
2011-10-05, 11:56 PM
"Okay. Everyone's alive. That's good," he says, nodding sagely."

Anya flops down on the edge of one of the wagon seats and cracks her stiff knuckles. "Well, not everyone," she says casually. "There's a couple elves back there who're a bit short in t'life department right 'bout now."

"That was insane!" shouts Tristan, glancing uncomfortably back at the fallen spearmen. "Who the hell were those guys?"

"Who knows?" says Gavin, raising his hands in a big shrug. "Bandits. They're all over the place out here. People can't scrape things together, start taking what they can from everyone else, y'know?"

"Well we can thank the holy stars they were so bad at banditing," Hilda says with a solemn nod. "It's a right miracle none of the camels got hit. Could you imagine the chaos if they spooked?"[/COLOR]"

Cerwyn smirks. "Did you see how they were shooting? They were missing us by dozens of feet back there. And we were stationary targets, even. Put me down for 'miracle.'"

"Dunno who or what t'elves are, but I've been down this way, and they jumped me then too. Wasn't a miracle-none a them can shoot for beans," Anya says. Her grin is lopsided, almost mocking. "If they could, I'd not be sittin' here and talkin' t'ya. I'd have told ya, but I only figured it 'bout five seconds before they started shootin'. I'm still all for stabbing them. Too much hassle, draggin' them around, an' no real gain."

She stays silent on Tuva for now, trying to remember exactly why Pallas was going to the place. She hadn't mentioned that it was some sort of tribal gathering place, but she had said something about it...

It's plot time, I think. Or at least interesting backstory bit time. CM, why was Pallas going to Tuva?

Taking 10 on Knowledge (history), (local), (geography), (animism) for a total of 12 each (untrained, so it's really more like 10). Anything interesting about this Tuva place in common knowledge?

Burnheart
2011-10-06, 08:37 AM
"Not likely," Renaldo responds, shaking his head slightly. "I've never heard of these bandits, and that isn't good news. It means they haven't been outlawed. Either they've never attacked a caravan from Abaris, or they've never left any survivors. The council won't pay us a copper if they're not outlaws, and if we went to them now, they'd have no incentive to pay us for work already done. They might put a bounty on the rest and then start paying, but I'd like to remind you that we are a merchant caravan, not a company of mercenaries."

"Thats why i saved them" Ujarak replied "To see if we could get more information about the rest of them"

"I have no idea. Reliable information on Tuva is hard enough to find. In any case it's barely a real city, and it lacks a real government. Apparently it's little more than a seasonal gathering of tribes. They may reward us for this, but..." Renaldo seems to hesitate a moment here. "Well I hate to say it, but for all we know these elves are allies or members or what have you. This could actually be pretty bad for us."

"If they are from one of the tribes of Tuva would having shown them mercy help us?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-08, 06:47 PM
Rosalina nods at Ujarak's last comment. "Let's hope so. In fact, I think that line of thought is our best bet right now. If these elves are allies with Tuva, then returning them alive could be our only shot at patching things up with them. We could make a show of forgiving them, or if that isn't an option, we might be able to try to trade their lives for our own safe passage, hoping that Mr. Hakim here is wrong about how much they'd care for hostages. And if they're enemies, then I suppose they'll simply be executed there."

"Overall, I think we have more to lose by killing them than not."

Anya:
While some information about Tuva might be common knowledge for the residents of Abaris, it's too minor a place and too far away for the typical person in Anya's homeland to know anything about it, and most of the Phaėtonites, as foreigners, would know little of such Ashlands settlements. Everything Anya knows about Tuva, she either heard from Pallas directly, picked up from Pallas's conversations with others, or overheard during her stay in Abaris. And all of that together still isn't very substantial.

It was clear that Tuva is a settlement of some sort, one that was pretty much "on the way" from Abaris to the middle of the Ashlands. Apparently it is for whatever reason not a common destination from Abaris, despite its proximity. Judging by how lightly Pallas was packed - enough for a few days in the wilderness at most - it seems reasonable to assume she was going to stock up there. She also mentioned that she was going to be meeting "people" at some point on the journey, but it was never clear if that was going to happen in Tuva or later on, nor who those people were or how many of them there were going to be.

OOC:
Or did you want a more substantial OOC coordination on what the actual deal was with Pallas? If so, we can talk about that too.

As for the spottiness of the information above, I didn't figure Pallas was very interested in telling Anya what she was up to, especially if it was going to be something nasty for her, as you once previously suggested.

Also I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it before, but I always figured the Phaėton worshipers that took over Anya's homeland came from the other continent, and that the city they established themselves in lies on the Araxes (which gets little reverence from them and is thus nasty to drink in that area). If you don't like that go ahead and say so, because I'm pretty sure it's only come up as a "canon" thing in this post, and can thus be pretty easily changed.

userpay
2011-10-09, 11:05 PM
Myra nods exuberantly. "I agree. While I don't mind killing in defense killing for the sake of killing has never sat with me very well."

Ajadea
2011-10-09, 11:41 PM
Anya nods her head in acquiescence. No arguin' with the boss. It was one of the first rules of the street, and a damn good one, really. Kept you alive, for a start. "Then we should prolly get goin' again. Where're we gonna stick the elves? An' on another note, anyone really know which way t'Tuva? Or where we are? Cause t'map we've got is off. Way off. There's some empirey thing I've never heard of on it."

CM

Some OOC talking about Pallas sounds good. What did you have in mind for her (beyond the bit where she was kinda evil and planning something detrimental to Anya's health, among other things)

ex cathedra
2011-10-10, 12:29 AM
Isak was for the most part uninterested in both the captives and the discussion regarding them. However, at one of Rosalina's comments Isak's brow furrowed. "Tuva?" he asks, to no one in particular. Something about that name struck Isak as uncannily familiar.

"Were you planning on passing through Tuva, anyways? I mean, what's to say that anyone will care about the captives in the first place? More importantly, let's say that these bandits are allies of Tuva. What's to stop them from trying to sack the caravan? Poorly organized raiding parties are one thing, but I wouldn't want to lead a profitable-yet-sparsely-manned caravan right into a den of these people."

Isak glances at the rest of the group and shrugs. "Just a thought. Not sure if I understand this whole 'Tuva' situation in the first place."

Ajadea
2011-10-10, 12:59 AM
"Well, t'map we've got now is worth less than a pile of camel dung, so if we don't want t'wander 'round t'Ashlands good as blind, seems like Tuva's our best shot at gettin' some directions, if not a proper map. 'Sides, stoppin' there might get us somethin' neat. Maybe there'll be words on whats-his-name, the one you two an' Crazy over there are tryin' to find so bad. Y'never know," Anya says with a shrug. She thinks for a moment. Keeping this fancy stuff out of the hands of raiders and tribes seemed like a good idea. "No'un said we all had t'go in anyways. Send a few in t'Tuva, leave t'van somewhere nice an' hidden, get t'things we need, an' hit t'road again soon as we can."

Burnheart
2011-10-10, 05:04 AM
"That is probably wise" Ujarak says nodding his head as Anya finishes "What do you think Rosalina?"

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-10, 02:14 PM
Rosalina folds her arms. "That is actually a very good point."

"Renaldo," she calls, a bit sharply, "why weren't we considering this?"

"Well, uh," he begins, responding hastily. "The Moss-Raleigh Expedition went through Tuva four years ago, and that's where I got most of my information on it. Obviously, they weren't attacked, or I'd have heard all about it."

"But they didn't do anything to set them off."

"Right. They were cordial, as usual for the Mosses, and they were able to trade with the people in Tuva. They never went back because they didn't find much of note there. It seems that when these tribes find anything interesting, they usually come north to trade it away themselves. I really only plotted a stop there in case they happened to have a stockpile, or in case we could sell them our own wares. It's essentially right on the way."

"But we can skip it."

Renaldo nods slowly. "We can, ultimately. If all goes well we should have food and water enough to make it straight to Ombos - we could skip every one of our stops if need be. But Anya seems to be quite correct when she says that this map has its problems. None of my charts align with one another, but this is has to be the worst of the bunch. It might have all the landmarks, but the scale's off or something. I don't know the odds of finding a new map in Tuva, but I'd be much more comfortable if I didn't have to rely on this one the whole way."

"Well, I'm certainly not risking the whole expedition just for a map. This caravan is not entering Tuva unless I'm confident that they aren't going to ambush us."

Hilda steps forward and clears her throat before speaking. "Fair enough, ma'am. But dying in the wilderness, all lost in the Ashlands, that don't sound very good to me either. A good map could make the difference, so if we're skipping, we should be sure we have to do it. Now I for one like this girl's idea," she says, pointing to Anya, "Send a few scouts - subtle people, understand, not the big guy, or that strange man over yonder - and have them take a look. Or ask the prisoners about the place, once they wake up. But don't just skip it, if there's a chance there won't be a problem."

Rosalina gives Hilda a long look before speaking. "Fine. But only if we can be sure this won't get us killed. We'll want a good place to set up if we're going to be sitting with captives or sending people out. Somewhere the Tuvans can't see us. And I can call the whole thing off," she adds, throwing a meaningful look across the whole group. "Understood?"

Burnheart
2011-10-11, 02:50 PM
"Yes ma'am" Ujarak replies.

Ajadea
2011-10-11, 03:14 PM
"Clear as day," Anya replies. She slides off the wagon and walks over to Isak. "You aren't goin' inta Tuva, an' neither is Ujarak," she tells him quietly. It could be seen as a command or a statement, but it's certainly not a question. "You've a tail, he's green. Don' work, not for bein' subtle. Now, I don' mind askin' 'round 'bout that Kakkychoo guy for ya, but y'gotta give me somethin' t'work with. So, tell me 'bout this sword-thief with a name like a sneeze.

ex cathedra
2011-10-11, 04:43 PM
Isak offhandedly nods his agreement to Rosalina.

"You aren't goin' inta Tuva, an' neither is Ujarak," she tells him quietly. It could be seen as a command or a statement, but it's certainly not a question. "You've a tail, he's green. Don' work, not for bein' subtle. Now, I don' mind askin' 'round 'bout that Kakkychoo guy for ya, but y'gotta give me somethin' t'work with. So, tell me 'bout this sword-thief with a name like a sneeze.

Isak stares plainly at Anya for a few moments. "I-," he begins, pausing perplexedly. "You know, this isn't actually my tail."

Ajadea
2011-10-11, 05:16 PM
"It's a floatin' blue tail," Anya says exasperatedly. "I don' think t'Tuvan's are much gonna care who it's supposed t'belong to. An, 'sides, it's stuck t'your backside, isn't it? Whoever's it was, that thing's not theirs any more."

ex cathedra
2011-10-11, 09:47 PM
Isak rolls his eyes. "It's not a problem, alright? It'll be gone by morning."

Ajadea
2011-10-11, 10:01 PM
Anya looks away. Isak seemed to be uncomfortable with her questions, so she'd let it drop. Bad idea, making the people who'd hired you uncomfortable. They might just give you the boot. "That'll work. Don' misplace that though-y'just don' see many dragon tails 'round anymore. Might be valuable." She smiles weakly, a gesture which was not smug or mischevious or knowing so much as highly embarrased, and then whirls around and heads the other way with a mumbled excuse about checking on the camels.

Burnheart
2011-10-13, 02:27 PM
"Do you think the people of Tuva would have a problem with me?" Ujarak asks slightly bemused, as though he hadn't considered it an issue "They don't worship the new gods do they?"

Ajadea
2011-10-13, 04:30 PM
"Might. Might not, then again. Um, my friend, she prays-prayed," Anya amends, Pallas wasn't alive anymore, "t', an' she was headin' t'Tuva. But she din't gut me for prayin' t'the spirits, so she'd've been fine if t'Tuvans were worshippin' t'spirits too. Certainly don' matter t'me who's prayin' to what."

Burnheart
2011-10-14, 08:35 AM
"Well i think if everyone else from our group is going into Tuva i should go along as well" Ujarak replies "and if the people there have a problem with me we'll deal with it when we get there" after saying that Ujarak turns to Rosalina and asks "Do you have anyone else you wish to send with us?"

userpay
2011-10-17, 02:46 PM
Myra tilts her head. "So will we be taking at least one wagon into town? Or at least mounts? I would think several people without such traveling through might raise suspicion." She glances up at the raven that's still circling. "If looks are an issue going in depending on how my morning... readiness goes I may or may not beable to go."

Claudius Maximus
2011-10-17, 11:46 PM
"Well i think if everyone else from our group is going into Tuva i should go along as well" Ujarak replies "and if the people there have a problem with me we'll deal with it when we get there" after saying that Ujarak turns to Rosalina and asks "Do you have anyone else you wish to send with us?"

Rosalina seems a bit skeptical. "I think Anya has a point. You would never pass for a mortal, much less a local. I'm not sure you should go if it's only going to raise some kind of xenophobic rabble."

"I don't think that will be the problem," says Renado. "I mean, you're all obviously foreigners. There's no use trying to hide it. But if the Moss-Raleigh experience is anything to go on, there probably won't be any problems unless the Tuvans identify you as hostile. I'm rather confident they won't attack you just for being green, especially if they know you're a spirit."

Rosalina shrugs a bit. "If you say so. Fine. Any other volunteers?" she asks, turning to look at the rest of the gathered travelers.

"Hell no," says Hakim, shaking his head firmly. Gavin notes this and folds his arms in agreement. Hilda drags Tristan's arm down in grim silence. Avaril, Desmond, and Cerwyn share some reluctant looks, but Ivan speaks before any of them. "We need guards here, so none a' you. And the other guy'd blow it," he says, gesturing vaguely to Armen, who is now most of the way back. "'Least, uh, that's what I think," he adds hastily, as if he spoke out of line. These were Rosalina's choices to make.

She doesn't seem to care, though. "I'm inclined to agree. So it looks like it's just the four of you, then."

Myra tilts her head. "So will we be taking at least one wagon into town? Or at least mounts? I would think several people without such traveling through might raise suspicion."

"I will absolutely not risk a wagon." Rosalina seems quite firm here. "I just have too much invested in each of them. We could spare a camel or two - Renaldo insisted we be prepared to lose at least a few to the Ashlands - though I'd rather avoid that as well. But... I suppose we have more to gain than not if we can establish peaceful trade with Tuva, and we can use anything that helps. I will allow you to take one camel, provided it's not one of the pureblood reds."

She glances up at the raven that's still circling. "If looks are an issue going in depending on how my morning... readiness goes I may or may not beable to go."

Renaldo speaks up here. "Well, considering how late it is, we won't be able to get much more traveling done today. There certainly won't be much light by the time we set up for the night, and they say moonlight is likely going to be low for the next few days, so unless you want to walk in the dark, you should be setting out tomorrow anyway. Besides, this gives us more time to check on those prisoners, or to fix ourselves up - hiding your wounds would seem prudent if you want things to go smoothly with Tuva."

Burnheart
2011-10-21, 04:16 AM
"Good idea Renaldo" turning to his companions Ujarak asks "Are any of you wounded?"

Ajadea
2011-10-31, 12:12 PM
"Not a scratch. This leather's good stuff," Anya replies, rolling up a sleeve to display the armor. "An' Renaldo o'er there got shot. Dunno 'bout the rest."