PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Campaign help

TheDreadedThrag
2011-05-13, 10:22 PM
Hey guys, I've been working on an assassin guild campaign recently that i'm really enjoying dm-ing. The first mission i sent my assassins on was to infiltrate a party, kill the host and steal the priceless family scepter he was displaying. Though they were all level one, they completely raped every part of my dungeon via the most nat 20 rolls I've ever seen. They did some really cool stuff together and had a lot of fun doing it.

So I'm looking for some ideas of things to do in these missions. I think the next mission will most likely have the party trying to deliver information to a higher level assassin before they either kill the wrong person, or some other unfortunate outcome. when they start really getting in to their characters I'll have an easy time coming up with story that helps them develop, but for right now i just need some generic fun things/assassinations for assassins to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Gamer Girl
2011-05-13, 10:58 PM
Run though some classic assassinations:

1.Kill a popular leader.
2.Kill a trouble-making person.
3.Kill a person in the way.
4.Kill some random folks for terror.
5.Kill a pet.

Mix in:

1.Frame someone else for the assassination.
2.Make it look like an accident.

DMBlackhart
2011-05-14, 01:45 PM
Alternatively, and this may be a pretty poor idea, but I have found it works well personally, look at the assassin creed series. While the gameplay is straight forward, the over-all plot is pretty nice.

Try to weave a complex story of alliances and traitors that keeps your party always guessing themselves.

PollyOliver
2011-05-14, 03:20 PM
All of the suggestions above are very nice. At later levels, once they're pretty well established as effective assassins, maybe have intra-guild strife get involved? One top member tries to set them on another, and they have to pick sides? And each has his own agenda not only on how the guild is run, but on how the guild will get involved in politics in the greater world, which means their actions with respect to which side (if any) they take could have far-reaching consequences.

Hirax
2011-05-14, 03:36 PM
Here's one of WotC's web enhancements (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070425a) that has an assassin's guild in it. If you're a favored member of the guild (DMG2 feat), you get a +4 bonus to death attack DCs. You could refluff that for your campaign perhaps.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-14, 03:42 PM
1)Rip off Hitman and Assassin's Creed liberally. Reflavor to taste.
2) ???
3) Profit!

Safety Sword
2011-05-15, 01:24 AM
1)... Assassin's Creed ...

It even has a story set on interesting historical background.

TheDreadedThrag
2011-05-15, 08:35 AM
Here's one of WotC's web enhancements (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070425a) that has an assassin's guild in it. If you're a favored member of the guild (DMG2 feat), you get a +4 bonus to death attack DCs. You could refluff that for your campaign perhaps.

Awesome find. Thank you all for all the suggestions. I've definitely gotten quite a few ideas from ac, in fact i'm pretty sure all of the party members have been playing brotherhood pretty often recently. I'm actually trying my best not to make it close to assassin's creed at all. Politics in that game and the historical aspects were awesome, and so I'll definitely draw from how they chose to weave the stories together, but mission wise, and flavor wise i want them to have their very own place that they imagine, not that giant hall where they burn your finger.

This campaign actually started from another we had been playing. We had a not so experienced DM who eventually turned our campaign in to a **** measuring contest constantly doing things, not to make the story better or balance the game, but to make us fail. (He didn't get the neutrality needed to be a DM, pretty sure all he had played was a paladin at that point) He was a wonderful story teller though, and we made the awesome dice rolls and came up with all the ideas to break through most of that ****. In our campaign we eventually got pretty high leveled, The wizard started a magic school, our draconic heritage sorcerer became the prophet of a deity we had basically come up with (that's a long hilarious story) called the Church of Droog. Then my character, who drank enough to get random fortitude enhancements, decided he would open up a fine dining restaurant and spend most of his days still adventuring and looking for fancy new brews and impressive chefs. In trying to secure a few properties close to each other, we basically ended up having to secretly meat and plan out full proof ways to just straight up murder our neighbors (they tried to kill us a few times). We ended up putting explosives under their house using a construct ankheg and collapsing the damn thing.

So out of all this our Assassins guild was born. We had the idea to raise recruits and really have a guild (similar to the ac missions you can send people on) But instead of having to constantly roll and see if they succeed or fail, I had the idea to just make every new assassin we recruit a playable character for another campaign set 10 years in the future, where i assume we'll have most things built up. This way we can do a campaign where no one is really THAT concerned if their character dies, so they end up doing some crazy **** and completely getting away with it (my first dungeon was COMPLETELY broken by those nat 20 rolling bastards) and in the end, almost every assassin in the guild will have a back story that we all know pretty damn well.

Seonor
2011-05-15, 12:09 PM
If you want to be mean, give them an assigment they are supposed to fail (and die while they are at it). Something like King Adelbart needs a reason for war with a neighbor so he hires the guild through a catspaw to kill him/a family member somewhere public. He also informs his guards so that the assasins walk into a trap. Either the assasins fail and have to escape, figure out what happened and get revanche or they succeed and now have an entire kingdom on their tails.

cooperflood
2011-05-15, 12:20 PM
1: Negotiate a potential contract with a client
2: Deal with a client that lied about a contract / purposely misled the guild
3: Deal with an unlicensed group taking out assassination contracts
4: Deal with a King/Police trying to shut down the guild
5: The relative of a contract comes back for revenge
6: Acquire a substance needed by a high level assassin (poison component/magic item)
7: Investigate why an important shipment (poison, weapons, ect) didn't arrive