PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Artificer

Wargor
2011-05-14, 10:42 AM
Hey all. I've been looking through the base classes for Pathfinder and came across the Artificer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/artificer). I love the idea of it, but am quite confused by some of the abilities.

With weird science, how exactly can you use it? I mean, what numbers per-day and that kind of thing. At first level how many spells can I put in and how times can I use it ect.

Also, the Item Creation ability you get at second level. Seems cool, but then why do you also get the item creation feats as well later on? How do they work differently?

Thanks for any help. :smallsmile:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-14, 10:59 AM
Also, the Item Creation ability you get at second level. Seems cool, but then why do you also get the item creation feats as well later on? How do they work differently?

Thanks for any help. :smallsmile:

The item creation feats allow you to craft magic items. The item creation class feature allows you to create something without knowing the spells required to normally make it.

For example: say an artificer wants to create a +1 flaming longsword. He needs craft magic arms and armor, and he needs flame blade, flame strike, or fireball. An artificer doesn't get access to those spells, but item creation allows him to make it anyway with a successful craft check.

Ranos
2011-05-14, 11:14 AM
For example: say an artificer wants to create a +1 flaming longsword. He needs craft magic arms and armor, and he needs flame blade, flame strike, or fireball. An artificer doesn't get access to those spells, but item creation allows him to make it anyway with a successful craft check.
Actually, you can already do that with just the feat. It's only spell-trigger and spell-completion items that require you to know the spells.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-14, 11:48 AM
Actually, you can already do that with just the feat. It's only spell-trigger and spell-completion items that require you to know the spells.

Yes, but it's a higher craft DC.

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by +5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create spell-trigger and spell-completion magic items without meeting their spell prerequisites.

Wargor
2011-05-14, 01:30 PM
Ah ok, I think I understand that bit now. So as soon as I get the relevant Item Creation feat then I can make items of that type, without knowing the spells and without increasing the DC because of that? Is there still a gold and Exp cost?

mootoall
2011-05-14, 01:34 PM
I was under the impression that PF did away with XP costs for item creation. But I'd imagine there's still a gold cost, as otherwise the brokenness would be tremendous.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-14, 01:36 PM
I was under the impression that PF did away with XP costs for item creation. But I'd imagine there's still a gold cost, as otherwise the brokenness would be tremendous.
Yes, there isn't an XP cost in pathfinder.

Ah ok, I think I understand that bit now. So as soon as I get the relevant Item Creation feat then I can make items of that type, without knowing the spells and without increasing the DC because of that?

Yes, but first you have to succeed on a craft check of DC 20+spell level.

Wargor
2011-05-14, 01:43 PM
Ok thanks, that clears it up. :smallsmile:

Is it just me of did someone's really long post about the Weird Science rules get deleted?