PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep a group under control?

Trekkin
2011-05-14, 11:02 AM
I'm looking at DMing (well, Marshalling) for a relatively large group next semester, and we're going to be restricted to playing where and when making a great deal of noise is frowned upon. Accordingly, I'm wondering if there are any ways short of binding and gagging the players of stopping the inevitable volumetric snowball into full-on shouting matches and keeping the conversation at relatively normal levels. I don't like controlling people, but if we get written up for violating the noise regulations it would be bad for us all.

So, in short, how does one keep what starts as a conversation from escalating into a shouting match over the course of a session without making the players feel constrained or controlled?

Kylarra
2011-05-14, 11:13 AM
Well... shouting matches aren't necessarily typical of gaming. How large is your group? It may be that you just need to cut that down.

I'm going to assume that you've previously tried to talk to your players about volume level, but if you haven't, that's the first thing you should do. After that you just need to set some baseline talking rules and try to minimize extraneous tabletalk. Some is unavoidable, but multiple conversations at once is what kills both the mood and any semblance of being quiet.

Mastikator
2011-05-14, 11:18 AM
Bring a waterspray and some candy.
Just keep shushing people when things get out of hand. Those that defy your shush get the water, those that lower their voice gets a piece of candy.

Eventually they'll learn.

DeadManSleeping
2011-05-14, 11:30 AM
Just keep shushing people when things get out of hand. Those that defy your shush get the water, those that lower their voice gets a piece of candy.

Frightening that I was about to suggest this same thing before I read it.

mathemagician
2011-05-14, 11:30 AM
You could use a few talking tokens. Something like this:

Keep one in the center of the table, and keep one for the GM to distribute. When a player starts his turn, the GM hands him the token, which allows him to talk. If another player needs to chime in, they can take the center token, returning it after they've said their piece.

When the player finishes his turn, he hands the token back to the DM.

Eventually, the players may learn only to speak on their turn, or if they have the center token.

This way, no more than 3 people are talking at any given time, which should be quiet enough for a library table or so.

randomhero00
2011-05-14, 01:03 PM
shock collars and caddle prods.

Radar
2011-05-14, 01:25 PM
It would probably help greatly, if you lowered your own voice to the point, where they would have to be quiet to hear you. They might even tone their voice down unknowingly to match yours. Just like some conversiations I had:
Why are we whispering?
I don't know.

LibraryOgre
2011-05-14, 01:27 PM
Really, there isn't much you can do. If it's two people who always get into a fight, then don't let them play together.

Seb Wiers
2011-05-14, 01:30 PM
I've played with some BIG groups (14+ people). The setting (basic living room w/ multiple couches) didn't require silence, but simple sanity did.

-First, eliminate player-born distractions, especially audible ones. No talking on phones at the table. No viewing videos on laptops. No MP3 player with headphones. No magic games on the side.
-Second, require people to raise their hands before they speak; the DM should point to them to give them the floor.
-Third, do everything you can to take advantage of the quiet setting. Play some soft background music. Speak in as low a voice as you can get away with. By setting the ambient volume low, you can keep the default vocal volume low.

Yora
2011-05-14, 01:40 PM
The first step in keeping a group under control is to keep it small.
Once you reached 6 players, everything falls apart and people will get bored when it's not their turn or another player is talking to the GM and they'll wander off doing other things. Once you're 8 people, split the whole thing and make it two separate 3 character groups.

Jude_H
2011-05-14, 01:42 PM
With large groups, I've found passing a 'conch' among players can keep things reasonable.

TheThan
2011-05-14, 01:44 PM
Try a whip and chair.
If that doesn’t work, muzzles.

*.*.*.*
2011-05-14, 02:14 PM
Try a whip and chair.
If that doesn’t work, muzzles.

That sounds remarkably kinky

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-14, 02:23 PM
Half of these 'solutions' are delightfully violent. The other half involve things that usually get used in preschool.

To be honest, I can't figure out what is more terrifying.

LibraryOgre
2011-05-14, 02:25 PM
Half of these 'solutions' are delightfully violent. The other half involve things that usually get used in preschool.

To be honest, I can't figure out what is more terrifying.

Truthfully, the preschool ones are going to be most effective. In a situation like this, you're doing almost as much "classroom management" as game mastering. While raising hands and waiting to be called upon is a pain, it DOES keep the noise down.

Truthfully, I'd see if there's any way you can get another location.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-14, 02:42 PM
Truthfully, the preschool ones are going to be most effective. In a situation like this, you're doing almost as much "classroom management" as game mastering. While raising hands and waiting to be called upon is a pain, it DOES keep the noise down.

Truthfully, I'd see if there's any way you can get another location.

Yup, a library is a bad place to be if you have players who are likely to start spontaneous shouting matches.

Then again, anywhere is a bad place to be if you have players who are likely to start spontaneous shouting matches.

mathemagician
2011-05-14, 02:51 PM
Actually, the "talking tokens" I mentioned were a part of the classes my fiance and I took to prepare for our marriage, as a part of a method of conflict resolution. It reminds you to be mindful of the other person's opinion, and to let them finish their thoughts. This is an obvious thing to do, but the physical reminder of it can really enhance the speed of getting through the argument.

I figured noise level increases only when you have to speak louder to be heard, which would only happen when other people are speaking, so it seemed like a good way to regulate it.

I'm not sure why "raising your hand" is a preschool notion though... I expect the students in my college classes to raise their hand and not talk over each other ...

Anyway, any of these violent derailments would probably work too :)

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-14, 02:58 PM
Actually, the "talking tokens" I mentioned were a part of the classes my fiance and I took to prepare for our marriage, as a part of a method of conflict resolution. It reminds you to be mindful of the other person's opinion, and to let them finish their thoughts. This is an obvious thing to do, but the physical reminder of it can really enhance the speed of getting through the argument.

I figured noise level increases only when you have to speak louder to be heard, which would only happen when other people are speaking, so it seemed like a good way to regulate it.

I'm not sure why "raising your hand" is a preschool notion though... I expect the students in my college classes to raise their hand and not talk over each other ...

Anyway, any of these violent derailments would probably work too :)

Violent derailments: The most valuable product of any thread!

Disclaimer: I do not endorse any of the violent solutions given here nor on any other thread.modspleasedonthurtme

dps
2011-05-14, 03:14 PM
Taser anybody who gets too loud. That'll quieten 'em down.

Trekkin
2011-05-14, 04:31 PM

This is the case here, as well. The group's reasonably quiet in their current campaign, and then two people will go off on a tangent, a third will try to shush them,three more will badger the DM about something and the ambient volume just builds. I like that it's an excellent release for everyone (and I'd say it's a wonderful sign of how invested players are in a campaign to have them in audible delight and anguish) but it's just not practical.

As to player boredom, there are going to be two DMs, and as the mechanics-handling DM I might be able to ask for Cognition checks or something from the players not currently taking their action, just to keep everyone rolling dice and being involved. We're going for low combat anyway.

I'll certainly do the whispering thing (I keep my voice low normally anyway) and I like the idea of the talking tokens/handraising if I can find a way to implement them more subtly.

I'm going to look into a change of venue if at all possible, but there aren't many places on a college campus where eleven people making noise isn't going to bring official censure down on us.

mathemagician
2011-05-14, 04:55 PM
Check the various departmental buildings- every floor.

Our dept here has a lounge that is quite vacated after hours, that undergraduates don't know about about because it is away from the classrooms.

Back at PSU's computer science department, they built some "collaborative space" rooms that are good at blocking out sound. Those too were hidden away from undergrads. The math department at the time also had a nice lounge that we used for tea time, it was also quite vacant after hours; that building has been renovated recently though.

A lot of the time it's just a matter of being there before they lock the building's doors from the outside (this can be quite late if there's a night class). You may also convince the college to let you use a room for "club activities." Stay away from rooms with technology in them, they tend to not like people hanging about them late at night.

Of course if you want to play during the day, you're pretty much screwed, unless you sit outside and play in a green space.

TheThan
2011-05-14, 07:02 PM
That sounds remarkably kinky

meh, its a reference to old school lion tamers.

BobSutan
2011-05-15, 04:16 AM
So, in short, how does one keep what starts as a conversation from escalating into a shouting match over the course of a session without making the players feel constrained or controlled?

"Roll init."

Gets their attention every time.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-15, 06:35 AM
"Roll init."

Gets their attention every time.

Followed by cries of 'I GOT A FOUR!'.

FelixG
2011-05-15, 08:45 AM

I was about to post this as well before I read it.

Watersprayers work GREAT, also: Tazers, my group had a real laugh when the GM had one of those, when the GM stands up, you shut up :smallbiggrin:

SilverSheriff
2011-05-15, 09:27 AM
I was about to post this as well before I read it.

Watersprayers work GREAT, also: Tazers, my group had a real laugh when the GM had one of those, when the GM stands up, you shut up :smallbiggrin:

"Don't taze me BRO!"

I only suggest the water pistol idea, although in some cases I'd suggest Nerf instead, some places are just too cold to be squirtin' people with water.:smallsigh:

Radar
2011-05-15, 10:05 AM
"Don't taze me BRO!"

I only suggest the water pistol idea, although in some cases I'd suggest Nerf instead, some places are just too cold to be squirtin' people with water.:smallsigh:
Also important: character sheets and maps are usually made of paper, so shooting water around is ill-advised.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-15, 10:21 AM
Also important: character sheets and maps are usually made of paper, so shooting water around is ill-advised.

I can't believe it took 24 posts until someone pointed that out.

LibraryOgre
2011-05-15, 10:26 AM
Check the various departmental buildings- every floor.

In college, we played in our dorms conference rooms downstairs. There were a few... one was greatly preferred because it had a good-sized conference table and a chalk board, but the "music room", which was full of couches and comfy chairs worked well. Your library may also have decent sized conference rooms that can be reserved. Ask at the desk.