PDA

View Full Version : YouTube tags?

Janus
2011-05-14, 05:17 PM
Is there any way that the forums could have YouTube tags so that videos could be embedded into our posts instead of having to make an external link? Sure, following a link is just a single click, but it'd be convenient to have it embedded. I know that vBulletin has that feature.

Thanks.

Rawhide
2011-05-14, 05:51 PM
I know that vBulletin has that feature.

It does not.

Emperor Ing
2011-05-14, 05:53 PM
Even if it did I GUARANTEE that doing so would be murder on the server's bandwidth. For this exact reason, animated avatars are banned on these boards.

Janus
2011-05-14, 06:45 PM
It does not.
http://zeldauniverse.net/forums/
^These forums are vBulletin, and they have YouTube tags. Maybe it's a "plug-in?" (I don't really know how message boards work).

Even if it did I GUARANTEE that doing so would be murder on the server's bandwidth. For this exact reason, animated avatars are banned on these boards.
That'd make sense.

Douglas
2011-05-14, 06:48 PM
That would only be the case if the videos were hosted on giantitp's server. Embedding a video in the manner that is being discussed does nothing to change where it's actually hosted, so it would be "murder" on youtube's bandwidth and they're built to handle it just fine.

Same for animated avatars. Animated avatars are banned because they're excessively distracting and are more difficult to check for banned content, not because of any technical issues or limitations.

This doesn't mean there aren't technical issues that prevent embedding youtube videos, just that this particular issue isn't among them.

Rawhide
2011-05-14, 07:30 PM
I'm well aware that other sites that use vBulletin have youtube tags. But vBulletin, at least the version we are using, does not have such a "feature". It would require modifying the tags with custom code. Due particularly to increased scripting demands, we are not investigating this option at this time.

Janus
2011-05-14, 07:34 PM
I'm well aware that other sites that use vBulletin have youtube tags. But vBulletin, at least the version we are using, does not have such a "feature". It would require modifying the tags with custom code. Due particularly to increased scripting demands, we are not investigating this option at this time.

Okay, that makes sense, then.
Thanks for the answer.