PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Nightsong Infiltrator - Teamwork sneak Attack.

Skrobo
2011-05-14, 10:05 PM
Dear everyone,

I just got my 4th level in the Nightsong Infiltrator prestige class and I encountered a problem with the wording on the Teamwork sneak attack ability.

The ability gives the PrC a 1d6 sneak attack, with the same restrictions as the ordinary sneak attacks, but also allows allies that flank the target enemy to benefit from the same extra dice on their attacks.
The debate is wherever or not your sneak attack dice from other sources is added to bonus given to your ally. The ability states that "similar bonuses from other sources stack", but the way it is written doesn't distinguish clearly between your sneak attack and the one given to allies.

The way I understand it is that you "donate" your full sneak attack. If that is the case however, the ability is somewhat overpowered (4d6 per attack to full BAB classes, without optimised builds). Furthermore, I do not think that is what the author of the PrC had in mind.

What is your opinion on the matter? Do you happen to know any official feedback on the subject? The Complete Arcane's errata holds no answers.

Thank you for your time. To make up for it, your next roll will be a natural 20.

Dralnu
2011-05-14, 10:13 PM
Beginning at 4th level, a nightsong infiltrator deals an extra 1d6 points of damage when flanking an opponent or any time the target would be denied its Dexterity bonus. Any ally of the infiltrator who is also flanking the infiltrator’s opponent deals this extra damage as well.

If a nightsong infiltrator or her ally gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as levels of rogue), the bonuses on damage stack.

Your allies only get the extra sneak attack damage granted by the "Teamwork Sneak Attack" ability. If the ally already has sneak attack damage from another source, that damage stacks with this ability.

You don't donate all your sneak attack damage from all sources. Just from "Teamwork Sneak Attack."

Urpriest
2011-05-14, 10:13 PM
You don't donate your full sneak attack. You donate the 1d6 or 2d6 from your ability. The stacking language tells you that if your ally has sneak attack damage already the extra damage stacks. Apparently for some abilities it doesn't, at least according to a poster here called Curmudgeon, who is probably out to ruin your fun :smalltongue: .

Greenish
2011-05-14, 10:48 PM
The way I understand it is that you "donate" your full sneak attack. If that is the case however, the ability is somewhat overpowered (4d6 per attack to full BAB classes, without optimised builds).Have you heard of a little thing called "Dragonfire Inspiration"? :smalltongue: